Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,863 members, 7,872,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:48 AM

Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa (1040 Views)

Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! / Etuhu Blames Bad Pitch For Eagles Draw / Bbc News : Etuhu Jailed 8 Months For Assault (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa by abadaba(m): 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2010
IT'S DIFFICULT PLAYING IN AFRICA - Etuhu
By MARK OGAGAN,Angola
Tuesday, January 26, 2010

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/sports/2010/jan/26/sports-26-01-2010-001.htm

Fulham's defensive midfielder, Dickson Etuhu, has sensationally revealed why he is yet to adapt fully to African football. Speaking exclusively with the Daily Sunsport in Angola, Etuhu said it had not been easy for him since he has been playing for Super Eagles, saying that he's still trying to cope with the weather climate in Africa.

"For me personally, it’s a bit difficult playing African football. I sometimes find it difficult adapting to the climate and the heat, which is not the same as in England. And also, the style of play is totally different. I am still learning everyday when I play for Nigeria and I want to keep improving,"he said.

On his reported toothache infection, he said: "Yeah, before the last game, I was sick and I couldn’t train much because I had toothache and I was on antibiotics. It could have been extracted in Angola but they are not sure which tooth is actually affected because it has to do with the nerve. A scan must be performed to ascertain the actual tooth but the facility is not in Angola, so I have to wait until I go back home. But I'm on tablets, and these make me weak, as I felt very weak in the game against Mozambique. But I did my best and put in more than 70 minutes, which was enough. Hopefully, I should be fine for the next game against Zambia.

On the wave of criticisms that the team had suffered in recent times,he said:"You know I keep wondering about the negative press and the negative impression we have created in the minds of Nigerian soccer fans. We, the players, go out there and give our best, sometimes it comes off well and sometimes it doesn’t. At the end of the day, we just want our fans to stand by us and try to be behind us because we understand they get frustrated by some of our performances and results but if they stay behind us, that would help us a lot. If they keep telling us how bad we are, it’s not going to help us in any way. For us to move forward, we need the support of everyone.

"But sometimes our style of play doesn’t look good. Everybody is trying, and things can only get better.
I play in the premiership, and anywhere my coach wants me to play, I will play. I'm a player that has that special passion to play for Nigeria. Playing for the Super Eagles is the best feeling that I ever had and I love to wear that green-white-green shirt. So, wherever the coach wants me to go, I go . If he wants me to play right, left and centre I’d play anywhere, but whatever tactics the coach employs is not my business. My business is to put on the green-white-green jersey and play to my coach’s instruction. We get told what we need to do and we just go out there and do it.

On lack of playmaker in the midfield, Etuhu said: "I understand that our people want more flair and are craving a Jay Jay Okocha type of player. Mikel is a holding midfielder for Chelsea, but at the national team he has been given the role of a playmaker. He’s our number 10 and he tries to make the team play. People must remember that we play with three attackers whereby most teams play with two, so obviously you have to be more solid in the middle.
On his background, he said:"Well, I was born in Kano. My parents hail from Delta State. My dad is Agbor and my mom is from Okpella. I live in London. I moved to London when I was about six years old. When my elder sister passed away in London (she had cancer) we decided to remain in the city and be close to her grave, and I’ve been there ever since. I got two brothers – one is playing for Man City and the other one is looking after the family’s business. Mom is in London with me, and dad is still in Kano.

He, however, described Danny Shittu as his best teammate in the national team: My number one guy is Danny Shittu. We do everything together and everyone says we are like twins. He’s my very good friend, and we both grew up in London. Of course, there are others that are also close to me, like Mikel because we are not far from one another in London. Osaze’s also a good friend, as well as Yakubu. But my number one person is definitely Danny Shittu.

/www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/sports/2010/jan/26/sports-26-01-2010-001.htm
Re: Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa by abadaba(m): 4:45pm On Jan 26, 2010
Why is it difficult for players of Nigerian origin in England find it difficult to excel in Africa?.
Emeka Nwajiobi
Tunji Banjo
John Chiedozie
Ruben Agbola
Godwin Abbey
They have all played for Nigeria in the past but did not really excel.
Re: Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa by Kx: 4:46pm On Jan 26, 2010
Pls Etuhu should just let us hear word.

He is not among the best in England,not the best in africa too,
does that mean he has nt adopted to the european climate as well?

u cant give what u dont have.
If Nigeria had a good coach,Etuhu wont be invited to the "eagles" camp at all.
Re: Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa by abadaba(m): 4:58pm On Jan 26, 2010
Kx:

Pls Etuhu should just let us hear word.

He is not among the best in England,not the best in africa too,
does that mean he has nt adopted to the european climate as well?

u cant give what u dont have.
If Nigeria had a good coach,Etuhu wont be invited to the "eagles" camp at all.

But he is a regular at Fulham, scores some vital goes and has been very good in the air at craven cottage. It's just that he has not transformed his clubside form to national team.
Anyway, how about others that have come from England and struggled?.
Re: Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa by MrTA(m): 2:43pm On Jan 27, 2010
The truth is, he can only be described as average at his very best.
Re: Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa by Kgdavid(m): 1:26am On Jan 28, 2010
This guy plays better than average for fulham who are playing well this season. He is much better than Olofinjana and Kaita and his only rival in the super eagles is Ayila
Re: Etuhu And Other English Based Stars Of Nigerian Origin Struggle In Africa by tbc: 2:16am On Jan 28, 2010
etuhu is a classy footballer. i love the way he plays. he was voted best player in the man city academy which had players like shaun wright phillips and stephen ireland. roy keane adores this guy that he was one of his first signings in sunderland when they got promoted to the premier league. even berti vogts played a couple of times that how good he his. wait to u see his brother kelvin he is one for the future. did any one watch man city vs fulham when the two brothers faced each other. all nigerians just like hating on britishnigerian players. who the f*** is kaita i saw him play na only agidi he dey use.

(1) (Reply)

Which Team Do You Think Has The Most Handsome Players In This Afcon 2013 / Madrid Vs Barca / Highest Paid Athletes 2014 – Ranked By Forbes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.