Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,120 members, 7,887,244 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:49 AM

The Art Of Manipulation And Misdirection - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Art Of Manipulation And Misdirection (441 Views)

Understanding The Art Of Social Media Marketing From My Point Of View. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Art Of Manipulation And Misdirection by Ebukaangus: 9:04am On Jun 25, 2017
I was at Qualcomm last week, listening to an economist talk about Apple's complaints that Qualcomm had charged Apple too much for access to patents. What I thought was fascinating was that Apple had folks focused on the 5 percent that Qualcomm had charged it instead of on the massive profit that Apple made on each phone.

The price of the iPhone 8 is rumored to be well over US$1,000 but it could cost well under $500 to build.
(Check out this WSJ video on how you can build a decent smartphone for less than $70 in China.)

All other smartphone prices seem to be trending down, while Apple's appear to be trending up.

This near-magical behavior is an example of expert manipulation, and in a world of fake news, it's suddenly a more interesting topic to cover. (It also suggests that Apple's level of control over its customer base could be an anti-customer, if not an antitrust, problem.)

Oh, and that's on top of the issues that may prevent the iPhone from being shipped in the first place.

I'll use Apple as an example to illustrate the art of manipulation and misdirection - although it's hardly the only one that engages in it. I'll close with my product of the week: a new router from Symantec that may be the perfect thing for securing your home in a hostile world.

Art Appreciation
There's an art to manipulation and misdirection. I first became aware of this skill in college while doing my undergraduate work. One of the modules in a class I took on manpower management was on manipulators - people who were good at getting people to do things for them, changing minds, and generally, well, manipulating others.

There was a test for measuring this skill, and the scoring range was 1-20. Anyone who scored more than 12 had a high inherent ability to manipulate, according to the test. One poor guy scored 15 and everyone in the class made fun of him. However, there was another student who scored 17, and no one even noticed. He was the one who focused the rest of us on the guy who scored 15 -- and he didn't even know he was doing it.
continue reading by clicking on this link http://www.angushub.com/2017/06/the-art-of-manipulation-and-misdirection.html

Re: The Art Of Manipulation And Misdirection by Timmyricky(m): 12:16am On Jun 26, 2017
Basically magic, magicians utilise this skill effectively. Classical misdirection, they make you focus on one particular part while saying some other thing. Human mind both conscious and unconscious mind is more of a framework for our psyche. The complexity, the intrinsic nature and ability to predict certain feelings [ listening to your gut] Sometimes i feel we are our own God, If we can unlock our minds and use it to the fullest potential. I had a psychology friend, we spend most times talking about things like this.

(1) (Reply)

Nbc Inspects Facilities In Kaduna State For Digital Switch Over / How To Recover Deleted Photos On Xiaomi / Google Unveils Report On How Digital Mapping Is Saving Nigerians Billions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.