Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,866 members, 7,889,888 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:59 PM

108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria (58172 Views)

CMS Grammar School Celebrates 160th Anniversary, Nigeria Oldest Secondary School / DMGS: The Oldest Secondary School In Igboland (Then And Now Pictures) / 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by sorry1(m): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2017
PangoloMiliki:

Only Weaker culture assimilates whatever comes? lol.... Maybe English is your problem, but let me break it down for you.
Stronger or more prestigious cultures assimilates weaker cultures world over.

You can't be saying the people assimilating others are the ones with a weaker culture.
The early start Yorubas had in terms of Education is a lucky twist of fate, that's all. The Yorubas had the earliest exposure to mass scale Western Education in Nigeria, and that head start is part of what has them made them great till today.
Despite that, they kept most of their original cultures intact. It is ironic that today, those with the less significant western contact are the ones who worship western culture the most in Nigeria.
Yoruba was lucky in the case of education for assimilating it fast...It could've backfired if education wasn't/isn't a wonderful thing to assimilate. That's not taking away the dangers that are associated with assimilating everything that comes.

China's importance to the world of told is greatly rooted to their slow culture assimilation; Same with Japan, Israel, etc. I wasn't saying the assimilation of education by your forefathers was/is wrong, all I was pointing out is that yorubas have always shown themselves as people that welcomes anything that comes without resistance. One good example to this points to the fact that no single recorded resistance came from yorubas when the whites invaded them. Even if there was, I bet it was the least the whites encountered when compared to other tribes like the hausas and the igbos.

You should accept that yorubas have a weak culture in the sense that it's ever ready to accept whatever that comes, because that's the truth.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by RussianICBM(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2017
sorry1:
Yoruba was lucky in the case of education for assimilating it fast...It could've backfired if education wasn't/isn't a wonderful thing to assimilate. That's not taking away the dangers that are associated with assimilating everything that comes.

China's importance to the world of told is greatly rooted to their slow culture assimilation; Same with Japan, Israel, etc. I wasn't saying the assimilation of education by your forefathers was/is wrong, all I was pointing out is that yorubas have always shown themselves as people that welcomes anything that comes without resistance. One good example to this points to the fact that no single recorded resistance came from yorubas when the whites invaded them. Even if there was, I bet it was the least the whites encountered when compared to other tribes like the hausas and the igbos.

You should accept that yorubas have a weak culture in the sense that it's ever ready to accept whatever that comes, because that's the truth.

Listen to the guy, you have no point.
There are numerous examples of resistance against colonialism in Yorubaland. Google the Anglo-Ijebu war for example.
You just want to argue for argument sake.

Today, Igbos are 100% worshipers of Oyibo culture. Only the Hausas can be given some respect in that regard and no other tribe in Nigeria, but the Yorubas are still better off than the Igbos, who hardly even wear native attires in everyday life anymore, except on cultural events.
Maybe you will also blame the Ibibios and Efiks for having a weak culture, seeing as some of the first schools in Nigeria were also in that axis.

1 Like

Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by PqsMike: 11:20am On Jun 28, 2017
omusiliyu:

My Idoma nigga

Idoma Lolz.....see this guy o....Omo Olaniyi
Hope ur dad is doing fine.

Enjoy ur day Akande.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by sorry1(m): 11:34am On Jun 28, 2017
RussianICBM:

Listen to the guy, you have no point.
There are numerous examples of resistance against colonialism in Yorubaland. Google the Anglo-Ijebu war for example.
You just want to argue for argument sake.

Today, Igbos are 100% worshipers of Oyibo culture. Only the Hausas can be given some respect in that regard and no other tribe in Nigeria, but the Yorubas are still better off than the Igbos, who hardly even wear native attires in everyday life anymore, except on cultural events.
Maybe you will also blame the Ibibios and Efiks for having a weak culture, seeing as some of the first schools in Nigeria were also in that axis.
You. are losing the whole point of argument. Assimilation of good things should be encouraged, but. assimilating everything that comes should be discouraged.

I don't have time for tribal sentiments on this particular matter.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Shayooluwah(m): 11:35am On Jun 28, 2017
Repping #12 Floreat....

#29 Tho. Love you guys
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by victorDanladi: 11:35am On Jun 28, 2017
JakeII:
Proudly ACA, Integritas! St. Thomas Aquinas College, my great Alma Mater

The School Anthem Taught us to always strive for First Prize. Second position was never celebrated in Aquinas College......Even here's an evidence, the first school represented on this thread, no other one but ACA!

But OP, are you sure about Oyemekun Grammar school? I think the founding year was 1960.

You omitted

Fatima college ikire 1956

Ayedaade grammar school,ikire 1958

Oyan grammar school,Oyan,Odo otin 1956.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by kolexy(m): 11:36am On Jun 28, 2017
JakeII:

The School Anthem Taught us to always strive for First Prize. Second position was never celebrated in Aquinas College......Even here's an evidence, the first school represented on this thread, no other one but ACA!

But OP, are you sure about Oyemekun Grammar school? I think the founding year was 1960.

Up ACA!
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by RussianICBM(m): 11:36am On Jun 28, 2017
sorry1:
You. are losing the whole point of argument. Assimilation of good things should be encouraged, but. assimilating everything that comes should be discouraged.

I don't have time for tribal sentiments on this particular matter.

Just admit you were wrong and move on abeg.
Shey na me get time for tribal sentiment?

The Awka and Onitsha people probably had a weak culture for allowing oyibo people to educate their children.
Till today, Ndi Onitsha/Anambra are still the greatest Achievers in the SE.

Keep deceiving yourself because you want to rubbish Yoruba culture.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by sorry1(m): 11:41am On Jun 28, 2017
RussianICBM:

Just admit you were wrong and move on abeg.
Shey na me get time for tribal sentiment?

The Awka and Onitsha people probably had a weak culture for allowing oyibo people to educate their children.
Till today, Ndi Onitsha/Anambra are still the greatest Achievers in the SE.

Keep deceiving yourself because you want to rubbish Yoruba culture.
Your reasoning power is own a decline, Yes I said it. I just found out you don't understand complex arguments. I don't have time for words-and-opposite kinda argument with you. I'm done, you can now run along.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by RussianICBM(m): 11:41am On Jun 28, 2017
sorry1:
Your reasoning power is own a decline, Yes I said it. I just found out you don't understand complex arguments. I don't have time for words-and-opposite kinda argument with you. I'm done, you can now run along.

Whatever.
instead of you to admit that tribalism initially clouded your ability to reason rationally, you are here talking rubbish. Now you realize you were dead wrong, but too arrogant to admit it. Na your wahala.

I am done with you too. Go and play with sand.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by katunboy: 11:55am On Jun 28, 2017
Ofemmanu1:
I rep IGBOBI College Yaba- (1932)

I will never forget the last line of the school anthem, we do sing it with utmost EMPATHY..
It goes; " Wherever there's an IGBOBIAN,
There also is a noble Nigeria"

God Bless the Ibru Family, V.P Osinbajo, Fashola all the Old boys and everybody else.

UP I..C!!
up I C.. CEY CEY CEY. Up icoba.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by vannessa7(f): 12:13pm On Jun 28, 2017
I rep our lady of apostle girls secondary school, ijebu ode, ora et labora, work and pray. we rock.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by XKZ(m): 12:17pm On Jun 28, 2017
kudsweet:
108 oldest secondary schools in Nigeria
This post seems to have a lot of inaccuracies, errors and omissions Please can we have your source

1 Like

Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by HolyTitus(m): 12:21pm On Jun 28, 2017
JakeII:

Padi mi, I graduated from ACA in 2000.....the Millenium set, lol. But ACA is always in my DNA!
BABA! 2000! I still dey inside my mama's belly as that time of year..... I guess that should be Baba Babalola era, right
??
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by rhames(m): 12:29pm On Jun 28, 2017
Proudly a Kaduna Old Boy. Representing Government College Kaduna.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Dexema(m): 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2017
katunboy:
I rep Up I C. If u know d meaning.

Imade College '46' (Owo)

Omnia Viriliter fac
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by vatiqan(m): 12:58pm On Jun 28, 2017
I represent No 43.... St Patrick College, Calabar. my great Alma Mater...... Spaco...... Great Patrician!
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by vatiqan(m): 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2017
HolyTitus:
BABA! 2000! I still dey inside my mama's belly as that time of year..... I guess that should be Baba Babalola era, right
??

kids everywhere.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by chiefhead007: 1:06pm On Jun 28, 2017
I rep my lagelu grm sch Ibadan
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Faramide(m): 1:17pm On Jun 28, 2017
U.S. Visa for family.. pay after visa is given. send a mail to onaona25@YAHOO.COM
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Lloydfolarin: 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2017
JakeII:

Lol.....E pain you? Typical Oyemekun guy, always aggressive. Abeg, this no reach to start fight

Lol!!!

My guy, we are all Fam. We both rule while others follow...

My 2nd secondary school where i had my O' level is old and good academically but private though; Sacred Heart Seminary(Roman Catholic School-Don Bosco).

Wey Fiwasaye, Federal girls and St. Louis Girls them? Then no dey come dis kan thing... If na Club now, you go see them full everywhere.
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by haywhy59(m): 1:45pm On Jun 28, 2017
Repping Mayflower school ikenne, proudly an ex-may
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by mrmakios092: 2:20pm On Jun 28, 2017
the best way to boost your account
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by debuscket(m): 2:22pm On Jun 28, 2017
I rep CKC onitsha
primus inter pares
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by LordCrimson(m): 2:35pm On Jun 28, 2017
Where is Okrika Grammar School cry

Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by EmyPapis(m): 3:36pm On Jun 28, 2017
I rep Christ the king college Onitsha #40....three cheers for CKC, may the fame of our college last forever.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by kikies(m): 3:40pm On Jun 28, 2017
bunmishontelle:
92. Mayflower School...my alma matter. Long live Tai and Sheila Solarin.
11895.......whats urs?
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by kikies(m): 3:41pm On Jun 28, 2017
dinana:
Rep Mayflower school Ikenne. Knowledge is light

11895....what is ur s/n?
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by azenas: 3:48pm On Jun 28, 2017
Op! where is my school. Government College Ikorodu... Founded September 1974 Amatus Quoque Ameris.....Having been loved you too should love

1 Like

Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by bonboclat: 3:49pm On Jun 28, 2017
Merchants of Light � School Oba, Anambra state. 1942
Re: 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria by starman18(m): 3:52pm On Jun 28, 2017
JakeII:

ACA! Integritas

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NDA Kaduna Expels Cadets For Indiscipline / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate / Unimaid First Batch Admission List Is Out And Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.