Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,399 members, 7,978,272 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 01:34 AM

Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere (10495 Views)

Court Orders Gov Lamido, 3 Others To Pay APC Candidate N30m In Damages / Court Orders Police To Pay N12m As Damages To Salesboy / Assault: Arogundade, Navy Lose Appeal In Miss Uzoma Okere Assault Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 10:42pm On Jan 28, 2010
An0nimus:

We should keep our eyes open for the 'apology letter'.

I think that is the better part of this judgment. What victims of crime want is not only punishment of their wrongdoer, but restitution as well. In this case, there is no way to make restitution for the physical assault on the victim. But a public apology will serve in the stead.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by xterra2(m): 10:54pm On Jan 28, 2010
The issue is who will pay?the Navy?or the officer?The officer DONT have that amount of money N100 million if it is the navy then sorry to Niger deltans ,for your money is gonna be used to pay some shit lady,
Let the Navy say,we dont have money,our helicopter crashed lets buy a new one so no money.go and ask our C-in C in saudi,
Think about it the money is too much and trust naija we aint seeing apology
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by DRCROSS: 10:54pm On Jan 28, 2010
chei this girl don hamar,ibi like say make i be she
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 11:21pm On Jan 28, 2010
BlueDiva:

Won't they appeal?

The admiral, who is the first defendant in this case, has already served notice that he will appeal the ruling.

I am not sure about jurisprudence in Nigeria, but where I live, you must have at least one ground on which to base your appeal. You can appeal if you can make an argument that the judge committed significant and relevant error in his or her judgment. You can appeal if you can make a case that the other party concealed evidence, which may be material to the case and favorable to you (this works one way and only in favor of a defendant in a criminal case). You can appeal if you can make a case that the judgment contained extrajudicial elements outside the guidelines for sentencing or assigning liability (e.g., the judgment award was excessively larger than liability guidelines allow). You can appeal on constitutional grounds. You can appeal if you can demonstrate jury tampering during the trial.  The list goes on

The scope of grounds for appeal is quite narrow. But it cannot be because you simply don't like the judgment!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by puskin: 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2010
^ True.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 11:51pm On Jan 28, 2010
Tudór:

And who is deceiving you guys that the money will EVER be paid?
If the govt refuses to pay, what will the court do, bludgeon them to death with a gavel?

The news reports did a poor job of reporting by not stating the breakdown of the judgment among the defendants (including the Nigerian navy). However, for the plaintiffs, the second phase of this case will be to seek an order of garnishee against the defendants, their paychecks, their bank accounts and other assets the court might throw into the mix. As I was informed, the garnishment order will give the plaintiffs the right to go after the defendants' bank accounts. And by court order, the banks must garnish the accounts to pay the plaintiffs.

If there is a Nigerian-based attorney in the house, please chime in and clarify my post.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 12:05am On Jan 29, 2010
In any civilized society, the admiral and his goons would also face a criminal trial, as well as dishonorable discharge from the military. Does anyone know if they are still in uniform?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Theblessed(f): 6:05am On Jan 29, 2010
God bless you, Justice Opeyemi Oke! This is a marvellous and fantastic ruling. Whether they paid out or not, is irrelevant because they will eventually pay - no matter how long it took them to do so.  At least, the ruling has shown Nigerians they have rights they can claim on.

Hope, other Justices take a leaf from you and this ruling and thus, enlighten our people further, on their rights as well as the boundaries those intoxicated by power in our country must not cross.  Human Rights are violated every day by these people without anyone paying for it i.e punishing them and compensating their victims appropriately as a way to relief pain and alleviate suffering/poverty for the victim.

Hope, all the three Armed Forces including Nigerian Police learn their lessons from this!

Thanks M'am!!!! wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by gbolahan1(m): 6:30am On Jan 29, 2010
This will serve a deterrence to to some stupid men in uniform!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by gbolahan1(m): 6:50am On Jan 29, 2010
This will serve a deterrence to some stupid men in uniform!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by adeyinka4(f): 11:05am On Jan 29, 2010
Pifa:

The news reports did a poor job of reporting by not stating the breakdown of the judgment among the defendants (including the Nigerian navy). However, for the plaintiffs, the second phase of this case will be to seek an order of garnishee against the defendants, their paychecks, their bank accounts and other assets the court might throw into the mix. As I was informed, the garnishment order will give the plaintiffs the right to go after the defendants' bank accounts. And by court order, the banks must garnish the accounts to pay the plaintiffs.

If there is a Nigerian-based attorney in the house, please chime in and clarify my post.

indeed the applicant (ms okere) should move the court through a garnishee proceeding in order to enforce the judgment, however the 1st and 6th respondet (arogundada and the Nig Navy) have filed a notice of appeal which in itself is a stay of proceeding.
simply put, until the appeal is heard , no money can be paid/ newspaper publication by the party appealing, (save in some cicumstances)
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by GeorgeD1(m): 11:21am On Jan 29, 2010
frudokafor Yesterday at 01:56:40 PM:

am ready to accept beating from mopol, army, navy, airforce, millitant and JTF for half the amount i dont mind the press interference too.

haba! naija people and innovative ways of making money! i won't be surprised to see some greedy ladies now
going about looking for some naval rating to beat them up so they too can go to court to collect 100 million naira
like uzoma!  grin
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by oluite(f): 12:38pm On Jan 29, 2010
@atteymama
whether she was stubborn or not, i dont think any WOMAN deserves to be stripped and beaten blue n black on the street.I happened to watch d video,it's wasnt a major road,it's one of these street with small space.do u know if she couldnt negiotiate her car quickly enough,anytin could have happen but NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED IT'S VERY WRONG TO USE BRUTALITY ON ANYONE AND ON A WOMAN,ON THE STREETS.There are other civilised ways to handle issues.The agencies in this country that are supposed to protect us have turned BRUTAL on us and u ar trying to justify that by pointing at her stubborness.Is that how we correct children,friends,family if they ar stuborn??
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by abodundef: 1:40pm On Jan 29, 2010
@Ayetymama: wish u were the one stripped in the public place and disgraced.
" do unto others as u wish others to do unto u"
i wish they pay her N500m and still jail the officers.
Good thinking
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by RichyBlacK(m): 2:08pm On Jan 29, 2010
Excellent news! But I wish that scumbag as.sh.ole Arogundade was sentenced to jail.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by miloveu: 11:46pm On Jan 29, 2010
I love that. i wish victims of police and army assaults can also benefit from such. Nigerian officers like taking laws into their own hands.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by GeorgeD1(m): 11:54pm On Jan 29, 2010
let them keep taking laws into their hands pls. with the way things are going, they will only
succeed in making a lot of civilians overnight millionaires! grin
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 12:21am On Jan 30, 2010
ade_yinka:

indeed the applicant (ms okere) should move the court through a garnishee proceeding in order to enforce the judgment, however the 1st and 6th respondet (arogundada and the Nig Navy) have filed  a notice of appeal which in itself is a stay of proceeding.
simply put, until the appeal is heard , no money can be paid/ newspaper publication by the party appealing, (save in some cicumstances)

What might be the basis for their appeal? If you’re in Lagos, you might have access to the record of the judgment, assuming such documents are available to the general public. Are you an attorney based in Lagos?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by rasputinn(m): 8:25am On Jan 30, 2010
Harry Arogundade is a disgrace to the Nigeria Navy(hold on,isn't the whole Navy a disgrace,as well as the Army,Airforce and all the other uniformed jerks in this country)

Anytime I play the i-report video clip of that assault,I can't help but re-conclude that Harry Arogundade is a beastly baastaard for sanctioning that savage attack by his illiterate and moronic thugs,aka naval ratings on a defenceless woman
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by GeorgeD1(m): 10:37am On Jan 30, 2010
harry is just one out of thousands of beasts we have in the armed forces angry
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by adeyinka4(f): 4:09pm On Jan 30, 2010
Pifa:

What might be the basis for their appeal? If you’re in Lagos, you might have access to the record of the judgment, assuming such documents are available to the general public. Are you an attorney based in Lagos?

Yes I'm a lawyer practising in lagos, and I happened to be in court on the day this judgment was read.
the judgment is available to the public, as all records of court proceedings are regarded as public document. any interested memeber of the public need only apply to the registrar of the paticular court, pay the prescribed fee and then a certified true copy (CTC) of the judt will be issued by the registrar.

the grounds of appeal are listed in the Court of Appeal Rules 2009. the list include
-that the trial Judge misdirected itself,
-that the court erred in law and/ or fact
-that the judt was perverse, etc.
the appellant can choose any of the grounds of appeal, it is not enough to say that they are merely unsatisfied with the judt, the Court of Appeal will def throw out such grounds.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 9:58pm On Jan 30, 2010
ade_yinka:

Yes I'm a lawyer practising in lagos, and I happened to be in court on the day this judgment was read.
the judgment is available to the public, as all records of court proceedings are regarded as public document. any interested memeber of the public need only apply to the registrar of the paticular court, pay the prescribed fee and then a certified true copy (CTC) of the judt will be issued by the registrar.

Muchisimas gracias, counsel! That’s Californian Spanish for “thank you very much.” I'll see how I can get my hands on the judgment. There is a precedent for this, actually. You might be able to dig it out in case law archive.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-388585.96.html#msg5406356
See this post

Most of us reading about this case are quite pleased that the courts in Lagos have stood up to the bullies in uniform again. One thing I would really like to see is dishonorable discharge of all the military men involved in this case, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. In the US, dishonorable discharge would have been a fore-gone conclusion. Additionally, the district attorney of the locale would also prosecute them criminally. All in all, these thugs would lose out on three fronts: civil liability, criminal conviction and possible incarceration, and military dismissal. The military dismissal would be especially painful because the defendants might forfeit their pensions. The criminal conviction would also stay on their public records for ever, and would affect their ability to hold certain jobs for the rest of their lives.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by sunnyBGOLD: 7:01am On Jan 31, 2010
Great judgement, even in Niger! Meanwhile the sum should not be paid with taxpayers' money. The perpetrators should be made to cough out this sum to serve as a deterrent to others like them.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ndigbo: 8:59am On Jan 31, 2010
I stopped following the case, thougt it would die a Nigerian death! I commend the judge for a job welldone. Those animals in uniform will have to think tiwce before harassing people on the streets, That judgement serves them right! Well done judge. Just like one us of said here, that judgement came through because the lady is 'connected'. But in the true sense of it nonsense haz to stop in this country! Just like our leaders always taking us, (148 million) Nigerians for FOOLS. I'm saying that these nonsense has to stop! whether we are connected or not! But it has to start from somewhere.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by GeorgeD1(m): 6:07pm On Jan 31, 2010
the change has started with uzoma's millions cool
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by mobere(m): 1:33pm On Feb 01, 2010
SHE WOTH IT GUYS!

==>if you are on facebook (and i think you should be,olny if you are living in the moon!)I will advice you to search and join this group "THE HOTTEST GROUP ON FACEBOOK" IT IS A VERY INTRESTING GROUP TO BE HOTT NEWS ,JOKES ,INFO ETC! YOU GUYS ARE MISSING A LOT I CAN SHOUT!. THIS IS THE LINKTO THE GROUP http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=193081882572 go join them!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by martinosi: 3:06pm On Feb 01, 2010
Quote from , ayettymama (f)

no nigerians are not meant to be beaten or harrased

but they are meant to respect the navy

she was being stubborn

short of gettin into a fist fight with officers

the real problem is lack of training

cos down here, minute amt of stubborness regardless of whose fault it is

will result in the person being pinned down like a goat

and painfully cuffed, even mased

and in the states definitely tasered!!

it was a suit, so im guessing the military is payin it

i.e ALL OF YOU MOFO'S!!!!

So true!!!! And the reason why she
was being stubborn was becuase of CONNECTION!!!
ie Parent, Relative etc!!!
If you watch the video online you can see
that she was asking for trouble in a way!!!!
THE ONLY REASON WHY SHE GOT THE PAY OUT
WAS BECAUSE OF WHO HERE PARENTS WERE PERIOD!!! angry
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by GeorgeD1(m): 5:57pm On Feb 01, 2010
ok. if you know you too have connections, go try naaa! look for a naval man to beat you up so you can go to court and collect millions, abi?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by mamagee3(f): 12:28am On Feb 02, 2010
The girl has become very rich, she would never see suffering again. grin grin
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by mastalee(m): 12:37am On Feb 02, 2010
My question is , will this money ever get
to the lady in question?

I pray it does oo
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by sulad82i(m): 12:37pm On Feb 02, 2010
I'm happy to see this kind of suite and their rewards. Enforcement of the law will keep all Nigerian safe. All those police pple weh deh harass other fellow citizen will learn if these kind of enforcement can be continued. Nigeria is def on the right part if and only of this is true
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by martinosi: 2:51pm On Feb 02, 2010
George_D:

ok. if you know you too have connections, go try naaa! look for a naval man to beat you up so you can go to court and collect millions, abi?

Go and watch the video of the beating online,
before u respond!!!
ABI MAKE I GO FINE THE LINK POST UMMM 4 U!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'Jaji Bombs Were Made Inside The Barracks' (Enemy Within) / "Buhari Is Fit To Work" - Paul Arkwright, British High Commissioner / Umahi Presents Herdsmen/Farmers Crisis Report To Osinbajo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.