Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,767 members, 7,879,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:32 PM

#Biafra: What Awolowo Told Ojukwu About The War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #Biafra: What Awolowo Told Ojukwu About The War (429 Views)

Biafra: What Buhari Should Have Done To Nnamdi Kanu- Yerima Shettima / Biafra:what Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Getting Right- Philip Effiong [video] / Biafra: What Will You Miss About Nigeria After The New Country Is Created? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#Biafra: What Awolowo Told Ojukwu About The War by Emirofsambisa1: 10:36am On Jun 29, 2017
As the agitation for a new republic of Biafra draws more attention, there has been a debate on the role of Chief Obafemi Awolowo in the Biafran war. Below is what late Biafran leader Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu had to say about it in a 2001 interview.

When asked by Rudolf Okonkwo if Awolowo ever made the promise of seceding with the Yorubas should the Igbos leave Nigeria, Ojukwu said;

"We’ve said this over and over again, so many times, and people don’t understand; they don’t want to actually. If you remember, I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well. Awo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East. The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne, I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu. ............
READ THE FULL STORY ON

http://hype9ja.com/biafra-what-awolowo-told-ojukwu-before-the-war/

Re: #Biafra: What Awolowo Told Ojukwu About The War by Emirofsambisa1: 10:50am On Jun 29, 2017
I feel that I have a responsibility to always point out the deficiencies of Nigeria and to keep alive the alternative. That’s why I say that there will always be, if not the Biafra of territory, Biafra of the heart. - Ojukwu, 2001

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Quit Notice :we Will Consider Our Position On The Matter- Arewa Youth / Naija Newspapers: Today's The Vanguard Newspaper Headlines [4 July, 2017]. / Attempt To Declare Saraki Acting President Fails At Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.