Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,252 members, 7,950,339 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 12:23 PM

Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? (1256 Views)

Is An MBA Degree Worth It? / Virtual Assistant NEEDED For IMMEDIATELY EMPLOYMENT / Should I Stop Work And Do A Masters Programme? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by DaBillionnaire: 11:55am On Jun 29, 2017
This is one question i have always wanted to ask every nigerian graduate, i.e. if a Masters degree is worth enrolling for immediately after BSc. i live around one of Nigeria's Universities and i was opportuned to ask some of the students this same question. some actually lost hope in the fact that your certificate could put food on your table with ease, some prefered to take professional courses so as to improve their CVs, some prefered to do the masters prog after their BSc while some took it to be a waste of time after the BSc. programme, some prefered hustling, getting capitals and going into favorable businesses during or after their university degree.

whats your take on this.

Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by Vision4God: 12:59pm On Jun 29, 2017
If u have d opportunity and resources and d time, Pls do it. Additional knowledge and cert is not a waste.
It's God that blesses. When ur time comes nothing can stop it

1 Like

Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by marvelling(m): 7:55am On Jun 30, 2017
Nigeria is a certificate society! we place value on acquisition of academic certificates. it is seen as a mark of success. Going for an extra degree might not be necessary, but it is certainly desirable in the place we find ourselves.

obtaining an extra degree largely depends on the career path you want to follow. If you are interested in academics and/or research, a masters degree, then a doctorate degree would be ideal. If you want to go into a field different from your first degree, a postgraduate diploma or a professional certification would suffice. Then if you are interested in a professional career line that is majorly concerned with one aspect of service delivery or the other, professional courses will do. But I highly recommend that internship/volunteer opportunities should be taken advantage of, because this is a means of acquiring skills that are useful in the career path.
Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by Rios: 5:34pm On Jul 01, 2017
Have u eva wondered y Knowledge is not quantifiable but money can b quantified and y knowledge can't b transferred but money can b transferred: Food For Thought
Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by Dereformer(m): 6:31pm On Jul 01, 2017
Rios:
Have u eva wondered y Knowledge is not quantifiable but money can b quantified and y knowledge can't b transferred but money can b transferred: Food For Thought

Who told you knowledge is not transferable?
Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by august2224(m): 1:53am On Jul 02, 2017
a masters degree is worth d stress. i see 'made' men cruising to sch to tk lectures all the time. they really do not need these postgraduate certificates for a pay rise or promotion. they are after something much better - knowledge. the more knowledge u acquire, d more distinguished and 'set-apart' you are from the crowd and its only a matter of time: what u know will someday translate into cash. a PhD in any field is really a Put-hunger-Down.
Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by Rios: 4:25am On Jul 02, 2017
Dereformer:

Who told you knowledge is not transferable?
pls tell me whr a dying Professor was able 2 transfer his knowledge immediately 2 his son. But I ve seen whr a wealthy man transfer all his money immediately 2 his son.

4 a whole trunk of knowledge 2 b passed 2 sm1, it must involve sm rigorous processes & time.

Let me go by dis analogy. 2 bcm a knowledgeable graduate in a particular field requires 4 yrs of studying. Y u can bcm wealthy in minutes. Ve u eva wondered Y.

pursue knowledge and money will find u.
Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by Elthugnificent(m): 9:15am On Jul 02, 2017
august2224:
a masters degree is worth d stress. i see 'made' men cruising to sch to tk lectures all the time. they really do not need these postgraduate certificates for a pay rise or promotion. they are after something much better - knowledge. the more knowledge u acquire, d more distinguished and 'set-apart' you are from the crowd and its only a matter of time: what u know will someday translate into cash. a PhD in any field is really a Put-hunger-Down.
"made man"? Is that immediately after there BSc?
Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:20pm On Jul 02, 2017
It depends on the school you get the masters from. If you want to get a masters degree, then you should look at the top 100 schools in your field. I even see people going for MBAs in no name schools. If you aren't able to get a masters from a top ranked school, you are better off using that money to learn a trade or go for professional courses. Don't waste your time, money and resources.
Re: Is A Masters Degree Worth Enrolling For Immediately After Bsc.? by Rios: 7:52am On Jul 03, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
It depends on the school you get the masters from. If you want to get a masters degree, then you should look at the top 100 schools in your field. I even see people going for MBAs in no name schools. If you aren't able to get a masters from a top ranked school, you are better off using that money to learn a trade or go for professional courses. Don't waste your time, money and resources.
y
You re absolutely correct, d value of a masters degree is directly tied 2 d school it is gotten frm

(1) (Reply)

Phd From Abroad, Trying To Get Lecturing Job In Nigeria / How Much Uba Pay Their Fresh Graduate? / The Current Best Nigerian Bank To Work for.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.