Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,058 members, 7,887,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 07:17 PM

Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? (2218 Views)

Remi: Tinubu's BP Shot Up Last Nite; It Was Shock Induced - Doctor / Dig And Post All South West Cheastbeating Threads Here- Pre Crude Oil Price Fall / Obasanjo Finally Replies Iyabo, Says She Was Induced To Do ‘dirty Job’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Afam(m): 8:47am On Jan 29, 2010
I must state here that both the moderator of this Politics section kosovo and the owner of this forum Seun should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the forum especially the Politics section to get to this despicable level.

While increased traffic makes economic sense to the owner of the forum as he would make more money from online adverts on the forum I hope he realizes that there will always be a tipping point where both the quality of posts (already happening) and traffic (at least to this section) will go down and as such the section may self destruct.

If we can utilize the same energy some of us have utilized insulting different tribes and religions here to recognize and take advantage of our strong points to build a more prosperous nation I believe Nigeria would be better for it.

While we must understand the fact that we have obvious differences we must not allow such differences to turn to hatred, envy and blood letting.

I sincerely hope that my account be deleted or forever banned as sometimes it is a shame to see my name on this section where unnecessary tribal related insults seem to be the norm now. Unfortunately, members are not allowed to delete their accounts and the forum seems to be addictive.

1 Like

Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by citizenY(m): 8:59am On Jan 29, 2010
Afam,
I agree with you that the politics section has been 'bastardized''.
The solution? :-XI do not know? Left to the moderators. All
appeals for sanity have failed.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by SEFAGO(m): 9:01am On Jan 29, 2010
If people who create tribalism threads are policed, I think things would be better. I wuldnt name names but y'all know the ogas
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by kosovo(m): 1:37pm On Jan 29, 2010
@Poster, Yes we can!
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by tundewoods(m): 4:15pm On Jan 29, 2010
kosovo:

@Poster, Yes we can!

Yes we can what ?
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by DisGuy: 5:09pm On Jan 29, 2010
you've got a big job on your hand mate @ kosovo grin

You will have to read every single post to be honest, cause some thread starts out innocent but any little comment can change the whole discussion!
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 29, 2010
admin needs to come up with a tribalism bot

1 Like

Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by kosovo(m): 6:44pm On Jan 29, 2010
Only BELIEVE. . . wink
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by metalgong5(m): 6:46pm On Jan 29, 2010
@poster
What is tribalism? . . . . I thought the word is synonymous with Nigeria.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 29, 2010
How do you decipher what is ethnocentric??

Tribalism isn't a problem.

Ethnocentric threads created by ethnocentric bigots are the problem
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Jaylon(m): 6:53pm On Jan 29, 2010
The moderators don't seem to take this issue seriously. As someone has said, policing is the solution.
People open up threads indiscriminately on this board and this should not be the case.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by EzeUche(m): 6:59pm On Jan 29, 2010
Tribalism is here to stay. It is a reflection of the society we live in. Tribalism can be seen everywhere. Just look at our national politics.

There is always an us against them mentality between different groups of people. This will not change.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Fhemmmy: 7:50pm On Jan 29, 2010
Wonderful piece
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by abadaba(m): 8:08pm On Jan 29, 2010
Now that Ndigbo do not post tribal threads any more, other ethnic groups in nairaland should follow suit.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by ow11(m): 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2010
abadaba:

Now that Ndigbo do not post tribal threads any more, other ethnic groups in nairaland should follow suit.

d¦ck head! This is the sort of thinking the OP is trying to tell bigots like you to shelve!
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by antartica(m): 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2010
Nigeria is a tribal nation,still very primitive.Rationality and reasoning are enormously over shadowed by tribal and religious sentiments,hence the chaos and madness.

1 Like

Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:37pm On Jan 29, 2010
ow11:

d¦ck head! This is the sort of thinking the OP is trying to tell bigots like you to shelve!

hehehehe grin grin Yoruba Yoruba! grin grin
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by OAM4J: 10:02pm On Jan 29, 2010
I wish we can all agree with OP, but I doubt how long this will last. It looks like some nairalanders have a sole agenda of creating ethnicity hatred/supremacy in this forum.

Am not bothered by them, they are in minority. I have great friends from many parts of Nigeria & i will ever cherish these friendships.

Truth is, there are good & bad people from every part of the world.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 29, 2010
Since it is not compulsory you respond to every thread,maybe op should learn to ignore such thread besides everyone here knows those buttwipe that stir up ethnic war on NL.i have their list with me if the mods are interested in banning them
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by blacksta(m): 10:48pm On Jan 29, 2010
people like mekus - wan ker , wily self-service er or sunny bood hsit should have lost their posting rights long time -

I am going to start clicking report to moderator anytime i see those wankers and i dont see the need for tribalism section.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 29, 2010
I recommend continous banning for these guys because they keep creating multiple ids everyday just to canvass a lost hope and evil agenda
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by ogunonire: 12:00am On Jan 30, 2010
metal-gong:

@poster
What is tribalism? . . . . I thought the word is synonymous with Nigeria.

Very good point.

If Nigeria has more than 250 ethnic groups (tribes), with varying languages and customs why should anybody be ashamed being called what he/she is and the tribe he/she belongs to? If you call an Iboman Ibo; Omo Yoruba Yoruba and Hausa-Fulani an Hausa is that tribalism. Why should anyone be ashamed being called what he/she is.

What is Yaradua known as- Hausa; Ojukwu known as Ibo; Obasanjo known as Yoruba, so, why the fuss about being called what you are?
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by abadaba(m): 12:41am On Jan 30, 2010
blacksta:

people like mekus - wan ker , wily self-service er or sunny bood hsit should have lost their posting rights long time -

I am going to start clicking report to moderator anytime i see those wankers and i dont see the need for tribalism section.
You tribalist, you only chose Igbo guys here to bash, how about non-Igbo guys who attack Ndigbo all the time?.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by abadaba(m): 12:47am On Jan 30, 2010
kosovo:

@Poster, Yes we can!

@Kosovo, what did you do about Broklyn's tribalistic thread. Incase you have forgotten, ''why does Ibo claim Niger-Delta that is not theirs''.The thread went from page to page and Ndigbo were bitterly attacked from all angles.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by EzeUche(m): 12:53am On Jan 30, 2010
blacksta:

people like mekus - wan ker , wily self-service er or sunny bood  hsit  should have lost their posting rights long time - 

I am going to start clicking report to moderator anytime i see those wankers   and i dont see the need for tribalism section.

I only see Igbo names on that list of yours. Now your list is very tribalistic. There are plenty of Yoruba tribalist who roam these threads as well.  angry

SEFAGO likes to flame the tribalist flame.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:54am On Jan 30, 2010
The problem, if you ask me, is ethnocentrism, stereotyping, and hasty generalization. Not tribalism. Ethnocentrism is a sentiment. So it will only fade away whenever it fades away. There's really nothing we can do about that. Stereotyping can be mitigated by knowledge and understanding. Hasty generalizing can be mitigated by people using reasoning (which they obtain through knowledge and understanding) to talk and discuss, rather than basing their discussions on stereotypes and hearsay. Hasty generalizations could prove to be as difficult to mitigate as Ethnocentrism. So, in essence, nothing can truly be done to move beyond the problematic threads here on Nairaland, unless you plan on using coercion. In that case, heavy moderation would be required.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by chiogo(f): 12:57am On Jan 30, 2010
^ Totally agree. People should learn to differentiate between Tribalism and Ethnocentrism.

The latter is a major problem on Nairaland but oh well, certain people are known for it. Ban them? grin grin tongue
I don't know, send warnings although I think that has been done, it never stops still.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by EzeUche(m): 1:02am On Jan 30, 2010
tribalism

Pronunciation: \-bə-ˌli-zəm\
Function: noun
Date: 1861

1 : tribal consciousness and loyalty; especially : exaltation of the tribe above other groups

ethnocentrism

eth·no·cen·trism
Function: noun

1. Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.

There is no difference. An ethnic group is considered the next stage after "tribal" identities. sad
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by chiogo(f): 1:07am On Jan 30, 2010
^ Hmm, where did you get those definitions?. I don't believe the second half of the definition for Tribalism is correct. The first half is on point though.

But you might have a point. I also believe the word, Tribe was made use of during Pre-colonial/colonial times, kinda derogatory now.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by manmustwac(m): 1:12am On Jan 30, 2010
why not try naming and shaming. Make a list of all the known tribalists and write down thier tactics that they use to derail threads.
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by SEFAGO(m): 1:15am On Jan 30, 2010
I only see Igbo names on that list of yours. Now your list is very tribalistic. There are plenty of Yoruba tribalist who roam these threads as well. Angry

SEFAGO likes to flame the tribalist flame.

I think I bring humor to it. Totally two different things I must say. Please dont be throwing my username around
Re: Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? by EzeUche(m): 1:24am On Jan 30, 2010
chiogo:

^ Hmm, where did you get those definitions?. I don't believe the second half of the definition for Tribalism is correct. The first half is on point though.

But you might have a point. I also believe the word, Tribe was made use of during Pre-colonial/colonial times, kinda derogatory now.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethnocentrism

This is where I got the definition. That is why I said there is no difference between tribalism and ethnocentrism. Both words represent people who think of themselves as better than other groups.

SEFAGO:

I think I bring humor to it. Totally two different things I must say. Please dont be throwing my username around

I will call a spade a spade. You are just as tribalistic/ethnocentric as the people you battle daily on these threads.

(1) (2)

Why Nigerians, others have Low IQ!!!! / Nigeria’s Largest Ogbongidi (opio) Market / A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.