Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,876 members, 7,872,891 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:37 AM

Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry (1190 Views)

Data Plans For Different Network Providers / Ussd Code To Stop Auto Renewal Of Airtel Plan / How To Opt Out Of Etisalat (9mobile) Data Plan Auto-renewal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by mesoprogress(m): 4:34pm On Jul 02, 2017
It is little things that make a nation great. Do you know several days after data expiry, these guys had the audacity to zap my money , and open their mouth to tell me I should have cancelled auto-renewal ! Something they subscribed by themselves, same renewal I intentionally allowed not to auto-renew after expiry.

I bought MTN one week Data Bundle of 750MB for N500 on my number (080*******) on the 20th of June 2017. They automatically enrolled me for auto-renewal (unsolicited subscription). This data exhausted and got expired on the 27th June. They sent me a message that the data has expired and could not auto-renew due to insufficient credit. I did not want the auto-renewal so I let it go.

On the 1st of July 2017, I loaded N1200 airtime. Within minutes I received a message that my one week Data Bundle of 750MB has been auto-renewed and N500 deducted from my airtime balance . Something that expired four days earlier !

I immediately put a call across MTN customer care line to reverse the transaction, that the money is not meant for that. In fact I turned off my data to avoid it being used . The customer care representative now told me that I should have unsubscribed from auto renewal that they do not reverse data bundle once purchased . I now outlined some points to him:

1. It is your organisation that subscribed me to auto-renewal , I did not ask for it and therefore not under any obligation to to cancel it . MTN should give me opportunity to choose auto-renewal by myself. I am not constrained to cancel what I did not activate.

2. The data expired as at when due , and your organisation sent me a message that you could not renew due to insufficient airtime. Logically , I thought that was the end of it. Charging me several days after expiry is plain illegal

3. You do not lose any money by reversing it , and the money will still be used within MTN network, it is not as if you are transferring it back to my bank account.

Unfortunately, MTN customer care did not deem it fit to reverse the transaction and insisted to subscribing me to a service I did not want.

I do buy stuff from foreign stores. In fact I have subscribed to Amazon Prime twice. They auto-renewed me , I contacted their customer service , they promptly cancelled and reversed the money. It happened again, this time they even have a button to reverse auto-renewal by yourself without chatting their customer service ! So far you did not use the service after the auto-renewal. I clicked the button and got my money reversed. Nigeria service providers are most callous worldwide. Such a shame. If possible , and deemed worth it, please push to frontpage, what our service providers are doing is completely illegal. Lalastilala , mynd44
Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by Qudbell(m): 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2017
hmmmm.. fp? just in case

3smiley
Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by PassionateSoul(m): 11:49pm On Jul 02, 2017
This MTN auto renewal thing is so pathetic, I just went through this auto renewal nonsense few days ago. This guys are complete rip off, just rip off.
Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by Nobody: 12:07am On Jul 03, 2017
my own is with glo, they automatically sign me up for either glo cafe or glo video something, I keep cancelling. but they keep subscribing me...
Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by Abakeade: 7:19am On Jul 03, 2017
The same thing happened to me on my mtn line last week. I was so pissed off. My N1k was zapped for auto renewal data which I did subscribed for. Still pissed off and am not loading that line for now.
Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by tosyne2much(m): 9:15am On Jul 03, 2017
The auto renewal subscription annoys me too.. The one that irks most is the one that you will be automatically subscribed for a random monthly SMS whatever, which you know nothing about

1 Like

Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by kratoss(m): 9:19am On Jul 03, 2017
Mtn just decided to take 50 naira outta my credit and claimed i have renewed my whatsapp monthly.... Whatsapp kini?? I have never done dat whatsapp sub in my life but yet i hav renewed.... My sister 100 naira taken frm her credit, dat she has subscribed for mtn 'proverbs'.... If u call dem dey will claim u did it urself
Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by JideSM: 11:19am On Jul 03, 2017
mesoprogress:
It is little things that make a nation great. Do you know several days after data expiry, these guys had the audacity to zap my money , and open their mouth to tell me I should have cancelled auto-renewal ! Something they subscribed by themselves, same renewal I intentionally allowed not to auto-renew after expiry.

I do buy stuff from foreign stores. In fact I have subscribed to Amazon Prime twice. They auto-renewed me , I contacted their customer service , they promptly cancelled and reversed the money. It happened again, this time they even have a button to reverse auto-renewal by yourself without chatting their customer service ! So far you did not use the service after the auto-renewal. I clicked the button and got my money reversed. Nigeria service providers are most callous worldwide. Such a shame. If possible , and deemed worth it, please push to frontpage, what our service providers are doing is completely illegal. Lalastilala , mynd44

Hi mesoprogress, PassionateSoul, Abakeade, kratoss and tosyne2much. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this. I will like to use this medium to inform you that I currently run a thread here called the MTN Customer care https://www.nairaland.com/1379574/mtn-customer-care-thread/ where issues like this are discussed. Kindly send your mobile numbers via private message to enable me look into this. I await your response. Regards
Re: Illegal Auto-renewal By MTN And Other Network Providers Days After Data Expiry by boman2014: 2:30pm On Jul 03, 2017
i tot it was only me

(1) (Reply)

My Infinix Note 3 No Longer Charges / Teclast X9 Plus Full Review / Who Has Used The Nokia 5,opinions And Reviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.