Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,523 members, 7,975,078 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 04:26 PM

Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion (832 Views)

Fufeyin: I Saw The Death Of Abba Kyari, Prayed About It But It's The Will Of God / Pastor Adeboye Warns Of Impending Plague In Nigeria / Pastor Adeboye Prays For Death Of Relatives “Blocking Your Way” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by Poetrylyre(m): 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2017
Contrary to this, Thomas Paine opined that: “all national institution or religion, whether Jewish, Christian or Muslim, appear to me no other than human invention setup to terrifying and enslave mankind’s to monopolise power and profits.” Overtime Africans has shown resilience in preservation of her cultural patrimony. African mysticism had overtime been the most fascinating and disconcerting aspect of African tradition. African traditional religion (ATR) is the custodian of African Cultures and its ideologies; it is being handed-down from one generation to another with diverse orientations and practises with its centrality on sacrifices.

Generally, African traditional religions are orally and less scrawled; its emphasises the belief in the supreme being, the strict conformity to spirits, worship of the dead, traditional medicine practices, markings on the skin, carving of dreadful figurine, spirit dance and the use of magic. Traditional religion has the notion that humanity has an intertwined ethos with the supernatural. Attempting the statistical evaluation of adherence to African traditional religion is hard to come by; practitioners of traditional religions across Sub-Saharan African are distributed among 43 countries and were estimated to number over 100million, although the largest religion in African is Christianity and Islam.

Voodooism is practised by the Ewe people of Eastern and Southern Ghana, and southern and central Togo, and Southern and Central Benin. It is also practised by some Gun people in Lagos and Ogun in Southwest Nigeria. Similar religion with similar names were found among African in Diaspora which were swept away by the wind of slavery in the New World such as: New Orleans, Cuban vodu, Dominican Vudu, Brazilian Vodum, Haitian Vodou. However, a significant reference was made known in a movie series titled: The Originals; with its setting in New Orleans. The series characterised the Yoruba people in West Africa as the repository of sorcery and witch craft; with the instance when ‘Babatunde’ which is a witch, was able to forge the fearsome blade that could nab and bring so much agony to an Original Vampire that is presumed to be strong and undefeatable, when stabbed with it. History shows that in ancient times that pre-Christian beliefs include knowledge of the power of light, blessings and curses, and the oppressive dark curses and spells is now often associated with dark spirit and witchcraft. Earlier in history, beforehand the early church showed how a religion shrouded in secrecy could be relatively stigmatised, misunderstood and misrepresented. Voodoo is a victim of such oppression and repression pushing it towards the verge of extinction by the early church. The name Voodoo to many is a symbol of: twisted fate, suffering, pain, Death. These dented perspectives of Voodoooism cannot be complete without the rightful inclusion of some believe held by some quarters stating that: ‘the word ‘voodoo’ conjures up images of magical dolls made of wood or thread with pins stuck in them to inflict agony on one’s enemies and the resurrection of the dead as zombies.’ This early defective image of Voodooism was held by its practitioners as a misrepresentation of Voodoo by the superior culture. It was spiteful and do not represent what Voodoo stands for and its preachings.

Voodooism is a rich cultural based and animist religion, personal tenets and practices cutting across regions and continents. The spreading believes and knowledge of Voodooism as a way of life came to a significant point of apprise when slave trade came to the shores of Africa. Slave trade was the greatest demeaning and invasive inhumanity against humanity which took place between 16th and 19th centuries. Africans were enslaved socially and psychologically under the disguise of trade; they were brought to the Americas with shackles against their will. Millions of Africans were swept under the earth by: diseases, natural disasters, malnutrition, murdered, exhaustion, and some drowned; during and after their voyage to an unknown land. Slaves were brought to work on their sugarcane plantation and some were turned to beast calling them ‘gladiators’ to fight in the arena just to satisfy their cruelty. Atticus a slave; transformed into a gladiator in the Epic movie titled: Pompei, was characterised to be a black of African descent. He was depicted to be in possession of carved wooden images that symbolises is religion; they all brought Voodoo with them. Unknowingly to them the slave masters had other plans of self-subjugation regarding the religious practise of their fellow human labelled slaves. A law was promulgated in the year (1685) that put a halt to the practise of African religions, and this required all slave masters to Christianise their slaves within eight days of arrival at Haiti. Without no major resistance the slaves got converted and accept Roman Catholicism, but advertently they didn’t forgo their traditional belief but seek succor from it. According to history, it has it that many of the Catholic saints were identified with traditional Voodoo lwas (spirits). However, in Haitian Voodoo St. Peter is recognised as Papa Legba, meaning: the gatekeeper of the spirit world while, St. Patrick is associated with Dumballah.

Oddly enough, in the 1720s; African slaves were shipped to Haiti and New Orleans the spread of Voodoo practice in each area was quite different. Voodoo became a wedge of solace and strength, that facilitated sustainability for the slaves through hardship and penury. Between 1791 and 1804, a number of slave revolts was recorded inspired by Voodoo practise, and it reversed the tide of history form: slave hunting, to slavemasters annihilation. This attrition heralded the relegation of the French from Haiti. The masters that survived the revolt fled to New Orleans, with some their loyalist French-speaking slaves who are Voodoo worshippers. It is from these new arrivals that Voodoo began to have a strong footing in New Orleans. Voodoo had since proliferated to other African nations, over shored to the Caribbean, North and South America. Voodoo is officially recognised as a religion in Benin and Haiti. Voodoo had suffered an agelong stigmatisation from every quarters of civilization for aligning the religion with: bewitchment, the dead, carved fearsome images, dolls, sorcery, bad luck. Voodoo is a misunderstood religion due to its inherent religious practices: that maybe invoking an obvious mental discomforting illusions that could result to a daytime nightmare. Maybe we should take time to study the cosmology of Voodooism , and look at it as a way of life or set of spiritual tenets held by its followers.

http://blacknub.com.ng/2017/07/05/567-voodoism-the-impending-death-of-the-african-foremost-religion/

Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by ifenes(m): 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2017
The era of Voodooism is gone. Africa has experienced a parallel shift to a different world where Islam and Christianity are now the main religion. It is what it is unfortunately. I find Voodoom very interesting and fascinating, a different type of illusion, scary to the faint hearted, a true definition of ancient Africa.

1 Like

Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by Aaronsrod: 7:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
ifenes:
The era of Voodooism is gone. Africa has experienced a parallel shift to a different world where Islam and Christianity are now the main religion. It is what it is unfortunately. I find Voodoom very interesting and fascinating, a different type of illusion, scary to the faint hearted, a true definition of ancient Africa.
The Bible has come to take Nigeria from idle worship and Satans power. Jesus is bringing us into the modern world. Gods word tells us to cast aside evil powers and be in the body of Christ with his blessed servants who reveal His word through progress and prosperity.

We are reborn in Christ blood.
Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by ifenes(m): 7:21pm On Jul 05, 2017
Aaronsrod:

The Bible has come to take Nigeria from idle worship and Satans power. Jesus is bringing us into the modern world. Gods word tells us to cast aside evil powers and be in the body of Christ with his blessed servants who reveal His word through progress and prosperity.

We are reborn in Christ blood.

You forgot to add "your opinion"

This is your opinion you are entitled to

1 Like

Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by Aaronsrod: 7:29pm On Jul 05, 2017
ifenes:

You forgot to add "your opinion"

This is your opinion you are entitled to

There is no opinion here. Gods word is the word of God.

You are not a Christian.

Who is your master?
Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by ifenes(m): 7:34pm On Jul 05, 2017
Aaronsrod:

There is no opinion here. Gods word is the word of God.

You are not a Christian.

Who is your master?

I am irreligious, I have no master, I'm a free minded individual.

Calling yourself a Christian means you are subjected to African slave masters created imaginary master. If you say the bible god is your master, it obviously means the European man is your master. Or have you seen this god before?

Why will a slave master tell a slave the truth about himself?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by Aaronsrod: 7:51pm On Jul 05, 2017
ifenes:

I am irreligious, I have no master, I'm a free minded individual.

Calling yourself a Christian means you are subjected to African slave masters created imaginary master. If you say the bible god is your master, it obviously means the European man is your master. Or have you seen this god before?

Why will a slave master tell a slave the truth about himself?

Please, my brother. We know who are the masters of this world and we know our Lord in Heaven. There is no longer slave and slavemaster or past and future. To be free we must be one world and one flesh in Christ.

Oyibo people are not my master, but if they will take Satans power from Africa in Jesus name I cannot condemn. All is for the glory of God.
Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by ifenes(m): 8:02pm On Jul 05, 2017
Aaronsrod:

Please, my brother. We know who are the masters of this world and we know our Lord in Heaven. There is no longer slave and slavemaster or past and future. To be free we must be one world and one flesh in Christ.
kindly explain the bolded please. I need a detailed explanation.

Oyibo people are not my master, but if they will take Satans power from Africa in Jesus name I cannot condemn. All is for the glory of God.

Voodoo was never satan's power, voodoo was a tool used by those who practice it to project their minds, a unique mind power used for lots of good and also negatives. Voodoo mind power was used to cure ailments,manipulate dimensions, activate power illusions, it was a time African practised the law of attraction in their own ways. Yes it had lots of negatives because the people made it negative. Voodoo was like a Gun, it was up to you what you do with it. Don't blame voodoo, blame the guy using it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 8:30pm On Jul 05, 2017
...... THIS IS A THREAD!
Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by Aaronsrod: 9:11pm On Jul 05, 2017
ifenes:
kindly explain the bolded please. I need a detailed explanation.

Voodoo was never satan's power, voodoo was a tool used by those who practice it to project their minds, a unique mind power used for lots of good and also negatives. Voodoo mind power was used to cure ailments,manipulate dimensions, activate power illusions, it was a time African practised the law of attraction in their own ways. Yes it had lots of negatives because the people made it negative. Voodoo was like a Gun, it was up to you what you do with it. Don't blame voodoo, blame the guy using it.

We are in darkness.

Jesus is the way the truth and the light. How can you be free in the darkness of voodoo? How can you be free if you are lost?? Look to those who are not lost. Look to those who are strong. They have found power in Christ! They have brought Christ light to us so we can be saved. It is well. I cannot condemn.

The world must be one vision, one people one power one flesh in Christ - if that is Oyibo people power I cannot condemn. My God is an everlasting God!

We ned Jesus. Now.
Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by ifenes(m): 10:02pm On Jul 05, 2017
Aaronsrod:

We are in darkness.

Jesus is the way the truth and the light. How can you be free in the darkness of voodoo? How can you be free if you are lost?? Look to those who are not lost. Look to those who are strong. They have found power in Christ! They have brought Christ light to us so we can be saved. It is well. I cannot condemn.

The world must be one vision, one people one power one flesh in Christ - if that is Oyibo people power I cannot condemn. My God is an everlasting God!

We ned Jesus. Now.

I have nothing else to say to you mr.

1 Like

Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by Aaronsrod: 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2017
ifenes:

I have nothing else to say to you mr.

Then in Jesus name I bless you my brother. May you be experience true deliverance from Satan and voodoo. Nigeria will stand vindicated in Jesus blood. Wash clean of the stain of ancestral curses.
Re: Voodoism: The Impending Death Of The African Foremost Religion by ifenes(m): 11:48pm On Jul 05, 2017
Aaronsrod:

Then in Jesus name I bless you my brother. May you be experience true deliverance from Satan and voodoo. Nigeria will stand vindicated in Jesus blood. Wash clean of the stain of ancestral curses.

Seriously man you just said the blood of Jesus will wash clean ancestral curses? Doesn't that sound like voodoo in its purest form. The use of blood to eliminate curses. But rather than a chicken, you are using human sacrifice/ blood. Can you take a moment and think of what you said?

5 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Guys Who Does This Baby Look Like. / Is Jesus Really The Truth? / A New Covenant Picture Of Repentance - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.