Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,313 members, 7,887,954 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:51 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2189425 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (1770) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 8:09am On May 01, 2012
@ George, ofcourse we have been relating well and this time it will be more improve. But i must say without God and you this wouldn't have been done. I wl always thank u. Now i can install for other people in my area NB. I read from the manual that there will be need for "water topping" pls what is topping of the water? And how can this be done when it is required? Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:43am On May 01, 2012
birla ecogen inverter...who can tell me where to buy it in portharcourt or worst case cyber power/luminious inverter...i need to upgrade to a charger with smart charging capability
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:41pm On May 01, 2012
boljamogun: @all

I have seen a Tripplite Power Inverter dealer in Lagos who has agreed to sell one brand new inverter Model APS 6048 VR (6000watts Inverter) for me at N335,000 (last price). Is it a good inverter suitable for Nigerian environment and Is it a good bargain compared with 7.5kva Cyberpower Inverter @ N350,000 (firm price)?

Please your comment is needed urgently before i made initial project investment mistake.

I attach the profile directory urls for the two inverters as follows to facilitate your advice:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=5067 for Tripplite 6000watts Power Inverter

http://www.buyright.biz/index.php?module=product&event=viewdetail&pid=95&cid=6 for 7.5KVA Cyberpower Inverter.

Your contribution (preferred choice - with reason(s) - between the two named inverters) will be highly appreciated.

hello boljamogun,
the tripplite aps 6048vr is a very good inverter and at 6kw is exactly the same power rating as the cyberpower 7.5kva (using a power factor of 0.8 ). although this model has been discontinued i think its still a better build and you should go for it. the price also is a good bargain. provided of course its the same with what they have here:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/Discontinued-Products.cfm?MDLID=3630

note that this a very late reply and i do sincerely apologize for the oversight. it wasn't intentional.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:45pm On May 01, 2012
deeplo,
the 'water topping' they're referring to in the manual is concerned with flooded (or wet cell) batteries. you don't have to bother about that if you're using dry cell or sealed maintenance free batteries like zenith, saturn, prag, etc
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 2:49pm On May 01, 2012
@ George
yes... thanks i just noticed that. Am using Mercury ME 12V 200AH, SMF battery. I find it hard to get none of zenith, saturn or prag. The one i came across is su-kam battery 150ah.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ifedesire: 11:42pm On May 02, 2012
@ Mr George, hello. If I were getting a 3.5kva inverter, 2/4 deep cycle batteries (12v 200ah), 500 watts solar panels, MPPT charge controller (60AMP-60V). Could you please tell me how long it would take my batteries to charge on solar?

Also, is the hybrid charging thing inbuilt, or is that something I have to acquire separately if I want both solar and Nepa charging?

When the batteries are fully charged, can you now use solar without borrowing from the battery juices or you always have to borrow even with full sunlight and then just charge/replenish as you use?

In addition, I plan to use about 700watts for about 8/12hrs then drop to 200 thereabout. Does this factor into the charging of the batteries or is this only concerned with the inverter.

Lastly, the voltage shown with the solar panel, must it match the voltage on the batteries or inverter? So, (2) 250 watt, 48 volt = 500w, 96v means I have to get 96volt total in battery and same for inverter undecided

Great info provided here! Brilliant job everyone!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 11:41am On May 09, 2012
@ George and all
Please what is your take on VRLA deep cycle brand of batteries. someone wanted to sell that for me at N45,000 per piece.
I want to know if the battery type is good and a better bargain.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:28pm On May 09, 2012
hello deeplo,
vrla stands for valve regulated lead acid battery and is just a generic term for most of the common brands of (sealed) deep cycle batteries we have around including prag, zenith, sukam, saturn, etc
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:16pm On May 09, 2012
fedesire,
most of the questions you're asking have already been answered at different times on this thread. however, i will try and answer them again for your convenience.

1)4pcs of 12v 200ah batteries connected in series will give you a system voltage of 48v with a combined storage of 200ah. this translates to 9600wh (48*200). but you can only use a maximum of 80 percent of the stored energy (d.o.d) so you're left with 7680wh. therefore, assuming you want to charge your depleted battery bank from scratch with a 500w panel, it will take 7680/500 i.e 15.36hrs. but you can only have a maximum 5 or 6 hrs of sunlight in any given day, therefore 15hrs means almost 3 days of continuous solar charging. as you can see, a 500w panel will be grossly undersized for such a system. however, the good news is that you can always add to it as you go along.

2)the hybrid charging thing is by inverter installation and configuration. when you live in an area where you have at least a little public power to use and you also have some solar panels which can provide you with power during the day, your inverter will be installed and configured in such a way as to take advantage of both or either one power source when they are present.

3)when your batteries are fully charged, your inverter powers your house directly with the power coming from the sun. the battery power only gets used occasionally when there is momentary cloud cover and as soon as the sun is up again, the charge controller replenishes your batteries and the inverter resumes using the sun to power your house load.

4)if you plan to use about 700w for 8 or 12hrs and 200w afterwards, just take your average consumption over a 24hr period. this helps you know what your average use will be for the period and it also determines how much your batteries will be depleted which also will affect the charging time for the batteries.

5)yes, the voltage on the solar panels must match the battery system voltage. for example, your average 200w sharp solar panel is about 38v. you must combine 2 of them to give you 76v which is higher than 48v and this is good because you want the charging source (solar panels) to be higher than the source being charged (batteries). anything outside that and current will flow in the reverse direction and damage the panels. the inverter input voltage too must match that of the batteries. there are inverters built for systems of 12v, 24v, 48v, 96v, etc. same thing for charge controllers. however, there are inverters and charge controllers with adjustable input switches which do work across multiple voltage ranges.

i hope i have been able to help somewhat?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ifedesire: 6:13pm On May 09, 2012
George_D: fedesire,
most of the questions you're asking have already been answered at different times on this thread. however, i will try and answer them again for your convenience.

1)4pcs of 12v 200ah batteries connected in series will give you a system voltage of 48v with a combined storage of 200ah. this translates to 9600wh (48*200). but you can only use a maximum of 80 percent of the stored energy (d.o.d) so you're left with 7680wh. therefore, assuming you want to charge your depleted battery bank from scratch with a 500w panel, it will take 7680/500 i.e 15.36hrs. but you can only have a maximum 5 or 6 hrs of sunlight in any given day, therefore 15hrs means almost 3 days of continuous solar charging. as you can see, a 500w panel will be grossly undersized for such a system. however, the good news is that you can always add to it as you go along.

2)the hybrid charging thing is by inverter installation and configuration. when you live in an area where you have at least a little public power to use and you also have some solar panels which can provide you with power during the day, your inverter will be installed and configured in such a way as to take advantage of both or either one power source when they are present.

3)when your batteries are fully charged, your inverter powers your house directly with the power coming from the sun. the battery power only gets used occasionally when there is momentary cloud cover and as soon as the sun is up again, the charge controller replenishes your batteries and the inverter resumes using the sun to power your house load.

4)if you plan to use about 700w for 8 or 12hrs and 200w afterwards, just take your average consumption over a 24hr period. this helps you know what your average use will be for the period and it also determines how much your batteries will be depleted which also will affect the charging time for the batteries.

5)yes, the voltage on the solar panels must match the battery system voltage. for example, your average 200w sharp solar panel is about 38v. you must combine 2 of them to give you 76v which is higher than 48v and this is good because you want the charging source (solar panels) to be higher than the source being charged (batteries). anything outside that and current will flow in the reverse direction and damage the panels. the inverter input voltage too must match that of the batteries. there are inverters built for systems of 12v, 24v, 48v, 96v, etc. same thing for charge controllers. however, there are inverters and charge controllers with adjustable input switches which do work across multiple voltage ranges.

i hope i have been able to help somewhat?

THANKS A WHOLE LOT George!!! ((((((VERY BIGGGG HUG)))))) I am going for 1000W panels, 3.5kva inverter, and a 60 amp charge controller. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:07am On May 10, 2012
ifedesire,
congratulations! you're actually on the right track. just make sure your 3.5kva inverter input dc voltage is same as your battery bank voltage and your good to go. as for the charge controller, 60amps is very much ok. its always advisable to go for such a high capacity so that there will be room for expansion in the future. morningstar and outback are one of the best in the market to date. and yes, 1000w solar array will shorten your charge time by half but it gets better in the sense that since you will installing a hybrid system (that uses public power and solar to charge) you may never necessarily find yourself in a situation where your battery power is drained to almost 80% d.o.d like the scenario i painted in the example. usually what you will find is that as long as public power is fairly available in your area, the inverter will mostly be used to charge your batteries while your solar panels step in on those few occassions when there is outage. again, with efficient use of your house equipments, your battery bank should never really be in the red under any circumstance.

lastly, you will need two change over switches. one for your standby generator and the other for your inverter. try and get an experienced electrician to install your inverter change over switch. herein lies the key to your hybrid installation! if you don't install it properly, your inverter cannot cut in when there is power outage and you will find yourself constantly having to manually go and turn on the inverter-which i tell you can be very tiring! and, of course it will not charge from public power as it was meant to do!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jayboskie7: 6:38pm On May 30, 2012
boljamogun
Please where can i get this tripp lite powerverter in nigeria.
TY
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by boljamogun(m): 7:37am On May 31, 2012
boljamogun
Please where can i get this tripp lite powerverter in nigeria.
TY

^^^^
@TY

Please you can reach me through my e-mail address: boljamoguns@gmail.com for direction when you are ready.

Regards.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 7:26am On Jun 02, 2012
goodmorning my people. pls anyone have idea of where i can get solar water heater and price?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:11pm On Jun 06, 2012
idsolar: goodmorning my people. pls anyone have idea of where i can get solar water heater and price?

you can contact any of the following companies on this page:

http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byGeo/byC/Nigeria/byP/solar/sWH/sWH.shtml
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:31pm On Jun 18, 2012
all,
good news for those who have been waiting for zenith 260ah batteries.

i talked to mr henry (in lagos) this afternoon and he confirmed that they are now in stock.

personally i'm already making spirited arrangements to place my order.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BUTONEDAY(m): 9:25pm On Jun 18, 2012
George_D,

What is the cost of one Zenith 260 amps battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 19, 2012
BUTONEDAY: George_D,

What is the cost of one Zenith 260 amps battery?
long time. Welcome back. So nice to hear from you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BUTONEDAY(m): 8:25am On Jun 19, 2012
George_D

Old soldier never dies. I am still with the team in spirit
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:47pm On Jun 19, 2012
butoneday,
my brother, wetin man go do? you know i've been wanting to change those 200ah batteries for a long time.

after almost 5yrs of continous use, i think they have really tried. so i'm going for their senior brother

which is 260ah.

mr henry says they sell for 65k each.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Everest9(m): 5:54pm On Jul 03, 2012
sathob: Well, great people of FTA, I think I should start this on behalf of George_D because of the request made by others who have expressed interest in alternate electricity, especially solar energy. Our FTA independence is not complete if we are to suffer frequent power outages and been dependant on the nation’s electricity grid system always. I have read in this house many times, from members “PHCN don go off, so I will track later when they come back”. No one can run away from power outages in the main electricity grid – not even the west, it happens. Hence, we all should have alternate electricity and using renewable energy is, to me, the best. This means one can enjoy their FTA fully by being totally free and not “dom” (dominated).

Look at some advantages
• Lower or no electricity bills
• Compared to generator users, there is no fuel cost and stress of getting it and no fumes.
• People living in the remote locations where power is unavailable or too expensive to hook-up too can have electricity.
Just to mention but a few.

Without going into detail, one can enjoy electricity by means of using solar energy (energy from the sun), wind mill (using energy from the wind). Don’t forget, where there is frequent electricity supply from the utility company, you can store some energy for back up.

You will need the following to complete a solar project or back up.

1. Solar panels
2. Power Inverter
3. Charge controller
4. Batteries to store energy
5. wires and cables
6. Monitors/meters

The solar panel consists of cells called photo voltaic cells and these, covert the energy received from the sun to electricity in simple terms (this electricity is a direct current
d.c). The panels can last up to 20 years plus. The panels can be fixed, adjustable or of the tracking type. You can decide to go for a complete panel from manufacturers (already made) or build panels by yourself using solar cells- the latter is for the hobbyist. The panels are rated in watts eg 80w solar panel supplying 12v continuous at a given time

The inverter
Power Inverters are available in 3 basic designs, two of which I remember very well now – the one that out sinusoidal waves and those that are modified sign wave type (meaning not pure sine waves and do have limits when it comes to its application) . The power inverter converts your storage battery power into the 240 volts AC that runs your appliances. It is the heart of your solar energy system. Unless you only run 12 volt DC appliances you will need a power inverter to supply your AC. This is just the basics.

The Charge Controller
A Charge Controller is necessary to protect the batteries from over charging and supply them with the proper amount of energy to promote long battery life.

Batteries
Without Storage Batteries to store energy you would only have power when the sun was shining. There is a lot more to batteries than just the ordinary car battery. Yo may need to change batteries over the years.

Wires and Cables
Without the right size of cables, you are likely to experience inefficient transfer of power (greater losses) and overheating.

Meters
This is required to monitor the performance of your solar system.

Firstly, it is very necessary to know what gadgets you will be using (eg.tv, sat. receiver) and how long you will use how long you would have them on the solar power and how much energy your battery can store and which solar panel (rating in power) will supply the required energy.

A lot goes into calculating the cost of setting up a solar system. First one has to consider the period of usable sunlight available at their location to do this calculation. For us here close to the equator, we get about 7 to 8 hours or more of sunlight during dry season, just a rough estimate.

How do I know I need 100w or 80w or 300 watts solar panel for my project?

The power consumption of appliances is given in Watts. To calculate the energy you will use over time, just multiply the power consumption by the hours of use.

Eg. If I have 90W tv set which I want to use for 6hrs, 25W satellite receiver for the same period, and a 50W fan for 3 hours. What will be the energy required from the solar panels for the period?

1. the energy for each appliance is Watts x time (hours) = Wh

So, the watt hours for the tv = 90 x 6 = 540 Wh (watt hours)

Watt hours for sat. receiver = 25 x 6 = 150 Wh

Watt hours for fan will be = 50 x 3 = 150 Wh

2. sum the watt hours for the individual appliances ie. 540 + 150 + 150 = 840 Wh (watt hours)

This means that the solar panel will need to supply 840 watt hours of energy to the battery each day to cover the total power required by these appliances.

3. since there are bound to be losses in the system However, to account for natural losses, we multiply the result by 1.2 (this factor allows for natural system losses, assuming 85% efficiency). Therefore, we will assume the panels will actually need to be able to supply a total of
840 x 1.2 = 1008Wh

4. so, to supply 1008Wh of energy the panel we assume to receive 7 hours of sunlight will be rated at 1008 Wh / 7 h = 144W
So, I will need 144W solar panel to supply energy to my appliances above at the given time.

Regarding point 3, it also means, if I have a solar panel rated at 100W receiving sunlight for 7 hours a day, the total energy supplied considering 85% efficiency will be 100x7x0.85= 595Wh and not 700Wh

5. Your battery should be able to store 1008Wh of energy. Since batteries capacities are rated in Ah (Ampere Hours) you need to multiply Ah by the Volt rating to know the Watt Hour. Power(W) = Voltage (V) x Current (I) ; Watt hour = VxIxHour

Therefore Ah (which is I x h) = Wh / V = 1008 / 12 (the number 12 represents a 12v battery)
= 84 Ah

So it means you will need not less than a 84Ah, 12V battery (deep-cycle batteries, not ordinary car batteries) to do the job.

NB. Another way of calculating battery capacity is explained in this example. Should my battery be rated at 84Ah, 12V the watt hour (energy) will be 84Ah x 12 V = 1008Ah

It implies that the battery can supply a 150watt appliance for 1008/70 = 14hours

Pls don’t just play around with batteries they are dangerous.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2012
George_D: ifedesire,
congratulations! you're actually on the right track. just make sure your 3.5kva inverter input dc voltage is same as your battery bank voltage and your good to go. as for the charge controller, 60amps is very much ok. its always advisable to go for such a high capacity so that there will be room for expansion in the future. morningstar and outback are one of the best in the market to date. and yes, 1000w solar array will shorten your charge time by half but it gets better in the sense that since you will installing a hybrid system (that uses public power and solar to charge) you may never necessarily find yourself in a situation where your battery power is drained to almost 80% d.o.d like the scenario i painted in the example. usually what you will find is that as long as public power is fairly available in your area, the inverter will mostly be used to charge your batteries while your solar panels step in on those few occassions when there is outage. again, with efficient use of your house equipments, your battery bank should never really be in the red under any circumstance.

lastly, you will need two change over switches. one for your standby generator and the other for your inverter. try and get an experienced electrician to install your inverter change over switch. herein lies the key to your hybrid installation! if you don't install it properly, your inverter cannot cut in when there is power outage and you will find yourself constantly having to manually go and turn on the inverter-which i tell you can be very tiring! and, of course it will not charge from public power as it was meant to do!

Great thread!! Thx to all who has been sharing especially GeorgeD. I was going to ask the question posted by Ifedesire, especially regarding d above reply. I'm already using a Su-kam 3.5KVA inverter with 4x200aH 12v batteries for about 2 yrs now (bought from a friend who bought from Su-kam and used only 2 months before packing it up.
the inverter has been working but of late am having small funny issues with it. E.g the display doesnt show anything now..plus other issues..
Average estimate of my load is 650W (not all points are powered at all times).
PHCN still alternates our supply: someday on, someday off. Days we are on there is no gurantee of power.
Anyway, my aim to maintain uninterrupted supply without spending money on gen/fuel. Unfortunately im not achieving that. I get about 6 hrs with inver if used during daytime with TV and 1 freezer on and about 9hrs at night with 1 freezer and fans on after which the inverter will beep. (here comes the gen again!!!)
Within the 2 years of usage, Ive changed the 4 su-kam batteries (2 at a time when they fall below 8v) which is a concern. I expected the batteries to last upto 3 years!!! Now out of the 4 batteries in use now, I just noticed a total of 49.3v output from the bank as against 51-53v on full charge. One of the batteries read 10.4v!!! Its going down again, less than one year!!! I have been thinking - is it that the batteries are not receiving enough charges thus the early dying or is it from the batteries?

Regarding the above quote, I'm looking at having 2 solar panels in series with my existing inverter infrastructure. But the change-over bit can you pls clarify? I thought it should be for solar and Gen/phcn inputs with common output (looped) feeding the inverter?

for solar panels, morningstar charge controllers, cables I guess Vitus should be able to give current rates?....

CHeers

George_D:
@all,
in addition to the 6v 420ah trojan batteries and 295w canadian solar panels above,

there is a battery de-sulpahator on offer. it can be used to revive dead or weak batteries.
it is a must have for anyone using deep cycle batteries. check the link here:

https://www.battery-rechargeable-charger.com/Store/products-page/battery-life-saver/bls-48a/

price is 25k.

Please I need this if still available. How can I get it? patdozie@yahoo.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 08, 2012
hello pdozie,
unfortunately the pre-order offer for the battery desulphator expired a long time ago. it was a shot in the dask and i spent a long time and effort trying to get everyone onboard. if you missed it, maybe another opportunity will come before year end. that is not a promise though.

concerning your battery issues, like i said in one of my earlier posts, your back up system is only as good as your battery and inverter. i don't have any experience with sukam batteries but i'm currently using sukam 3.5kva inverter (as you know) and i can tell you it's smart charger features are good. for batteries, i've been using zenith 200ah for over 5yrs now and i've not had any reason to change any one of them. despite all the abuse i put them through in the past they have served me well. its only just now i'm planning to upgrade to the 260ah version just because i've been impressed with their performance!

my advise is to try and incorporate solar panels to your system as fast as possible. i suspect that is what has been helping me maintain my system apart from the fact that my batteries are rugged. with solar panels, you are never completely out of juice irrespective of how many days phcn decides to 'strike'. and this in a way ensures your batteries last longer since the sulphated cells are always being rejuvenated over time.

for the change over bit, yes you need a seperate change over switch for your gen set and inverter. the wiring of the inverter is especially important as that is what determines the automatic switch-over ability of your system.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 10:27am On Jul 09, 2012
Thanks a lot George.
1. Did you actually get the battery desulphator? Are you using it? Does it work as claimed?
2. I called Vitus now. Said 200W sharp panel = N90k; (charge controller 40w = 35k, 60w=53k) (is 40w ok for 2 panels in series)?. I may have to wait to receive another salary to proceed smiley )
3. I've gone through the thread but just need 're-clarification': The 48v output of the solar in series, goes to input of charge controller (CC), while the output of CC goes to battery (12x4 in series). This is the same connection point on the battery that goes to Inverter (DC)- is this right?
4. I guess the change-over switches are for the AC voltage. With my current setup, I already have a change-over between Gen and PHCN to supply the inverter. What is the 2nd change-over for? definitely not within the DC side?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
hello pdozie,
no, i didn't proceed with the pre-order largely due to lack of interest from members at the time.

charge controllers are rated mostly in amps and not watts so i guess your talking about 40a and 60a?
i suggest you buy the 60amps model for future expansion. even if you don't need the extra capacity now,
you may definitely want to upgrade in the future and by then you won't need to go scouting for another
higher capacity charge controller.

yes, again you need a separate change over switch for the inverter on the ac side and not on the dc side.
the charge controller already takes care of the dc side between the battery bank and solar panels.
you'll need the change over to serve as a go between for your inverter and phcn (public power) just like
you have for your gen and phcn.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 4:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
Hi George. Thanks for the feedback
What is your take on External battery charger. I understand there are automatic ones that regulates the charging(float charge). Like I mentioned earlier, I will be starting off with 2 solar panels. I know the juice from both panels may not be enough to fully charge the batteries when PHCN power doesnt come for a while, in which case my batteries are still at a risk damaging faster. (I'm still at a lost on what to do to the one that is down now. It doesnt seem like it can be redeemed)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:36pm On Jul 10, 2012
pdozie,
i have already answered a similar question somewhere on this thread.

external battery chargers should be avoided at all costs except you want to use them as a temporary
measure perhaps in a situation where your inverter is down or undergoing repairs. most external battery
chargers are designed with automotive batteries (shallow cycle) in mind and are not suitable for maintaining
deep cycle batteries over a long period of time.

i started my own solar array with just 2 solar panels (as you're trying to do now). believe me even with 2 solar
panels your batteries are far better off in the long run than nothing at all. the trick is that as long as there
is even a trickle amount of current coming in from the panels to the batteries, they will never completely
remain flat at any time.
this then takes care of the problem you presently find yourself where one of the batteries is now totally
deflated due to excessive discharge.

the good news though is that every deflated deep cycle lead acid battery can be rejuvenated.if you can't get a
battery de-sulpator, take it to any battery specialist. they have a way of opening it up and renewing the plates
and electrolyte. you may be lucky to find one of such pros around your area.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2012
Thanks for the advie George.
Please what is the recommended cable size to connect the solar to the battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:43pm On Jul 11, 2012
pdozie,
depends on the distance between the two but generally the advice is to keep them as close as possible like maximum of 2 feet.

for that distance, a 16mm cable should do just fine.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 7:44pm On Jul 11, 2012
Hello House.
I have been keeping tab on contributions here and am quiet impressed by what i saw. My prayer is that God will bless everyone of us to be able to achieve our aims on this adventure of uninterrupted power supply.
@ George D. am really enjoying my sukam 3.5kva for office and 1.5kva for home. Now am also an installer, can you beat that lol.
To my question,
1........you said, you start your solar panel with 2pcs, how many do you have now?
2........can you post a diagram of how you connect your solar panel vis-a-via gen/phcn? or a picture will do.

The reason for this question is because, like you rightly said, once one begin to use inverter, its no going back. Am following your foot step now. No going back. Am moving straight to solar panel with my 3.5kva sukam.

Thanks for always being there to assist us.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 12:00pm On Jul 12, 2012
George_D: pdozie,
depends on the distance between the two but generally the advice is to keep them as close as possible like maximum of 2 feet.

for that distance, a 16mm cable should do just fine.

Thanks. But from the roof (where the solar panels should be) to ground is already over 7 feet smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2012
Hi all,
I stumbled to this site on how to revive a sulphated battery. (A battery that is dead or is bout to die). This requires technical skills to build the circuits. I will give it a trial. In case you do before me - share your experience.

http://poormanguides..com/2009/06/homemade-diy-battery-desulfator-charger.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (1770) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: zenith4biz(m), Edrizz(m), kristien4(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.