Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,803 members, 7,882,806 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 03:23 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (641) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2179349 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (1766) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Chief, did you mean to write that a hybrid inverter differs from charge controllers because it has connection for PHCN/Generator?

Thanks.

HYBRID INVERTERS HV INBUILT charge controllers, unlike normal inverters,...this you know as well, thats the major difference btw normal inverters and hybrid inverters
chief dont know whatelse you want me to say grin

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 2:49am On Jan 05, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

How has the charge controller been performing?

What voltage comes out of the load interface of the charge controller?
Is there a setting to cut off the output to that load at a certain battery level/voltage?

I have been out of town since I installed the cc so I haven't been able to do any recording. And the stupid cc will always revert to zero after sundown so I don't have the record. The day I connected it ,the reading was 175 watts at about 3pm and voltage 13.7 for panel and 12.6 for battery.

Is there a setting to cut off the output to that load at a certain battery level/voltage?
I will have to check the manual again. I dispensed with the cc after purchase because it reverts to zero after sundown and does not give me cumulative log. More so the pwm is serving well. So I boxed it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 3:10am On Jan 05, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Chief, did you mean to write that a hybrid inverter differs from charge controllers because it has connection for PHCN/Generator?

Thanks.

This is the basics:
Hybrid inverter(or any inverter for that matter) is different from cc because they perform different functions. An inverter perform two functions; converts DC from battery to AC for household use(which a CC can't do), and also acts as a charger for battery. While a cc regulates(for want of a better term) fluctuating solar current for battery charging.
Hybrid inverter(in contrast to conventional inverter) is built to incorporate/accommodate solar panels input directly into it via an INBUILT CC. A conventional cc has no inbuilt cc so you need to install one separately. Thus the common thing between them is battery charging( cc via solar inverter via gen/phcn).

If I have not confused you, let me illustrate it this way. You need lipton,sugar and milk for making tea. Milk is indispensable for the process. Rather than getting all three separately, someone now manufacture sugar/milk combination. He markets it as hybrid sugar. Thus, if you have hybrid sugar you dont need to buy milk again. all you now need is Lipton to make your tea.

You are well read on solar and know all these already, where then is the confusion?

Incidentally, why do we call this thing an inverter? Is it inverting or converting current?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EgunMogaji2: 4:29am On Jan 05, 2020
Topmost11:

This is the basics:
Hybrid inverter(or any inverter for that matter) is different from cc because they perform different functions. An inverter perform two functions; converts DC from battery to AC for household use(which a CC can't do), and also acts as a charger for battery. While a cc regulates(for want of a better term) fluctuating solar current for battery charging.
Hybrid inverter(in contrast to conventional inverter) is built to incorporate/accommodate solar panels input directly into it via an INBUILT CC. A conventional cc has no inbuilt cc so you need to install one separately. Thus the common thing between them is battery charging( cc via solar inverter via gen/phcn).

If I have not confused you, let me illustrate it this way. You need lipton,sugar and milk for making tea. Milk is indispensable for the process. Rather than getting all three separately, someone now manufacture sugar/milk combination. He markets it as hybrid sugar. Thus, if you have hybrid sugar you dont need to buy milk again. all you now need is Lipton to make your tea.

You are well read on solar and know all these already, where then is the confusion?

Incidentally, why do we call this thing an inverter? Is it inverting or converting current?

Apologies folks, I did not mean to stir the pot.

I just thought that “JUST THAT IT HAS ANOTHER NEG & POS TERMINAL FOR THE SOLAR PANELS INPUT,” should really be written as “ JUST THAT IT HAS ANOTHER NEG & POS TERMINAL FOR THE PHCN/GEN INPUT,”

But no worries. Hope everyone’s having a wonderful weekend.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 5:13am On Jan 05, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Apologies folks, I did not mean to stir the pot.

I just thought that “JUST THAT IT HAS ANOTHER NEG & POS TERMINAL FOR THE SOLAR PANELS INPUT,” should really be written as “ JUST THAT IT HAS ANOTHER NEG & POS TERMINAL FOR THE PHCN/GEN INPUT,”

But no worries. Hope everyone’s having a wonderful weekend.

Hello, hope u understand what @Topmost11 wrote last? What u quoted he wrote wrongly (if i am correct to assume that), is the way it should be written.
Note:
Any "inverter/charger" will ALWAYS have Phcn/gen input, anyone!

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EgunMogaji2: 8:15am On Jan 05, 2020
Oshomo12:

Hello, hope u understand what @Topmost11 wrote last? What u quoted he wrote wrongly (if i am correct to assume that), is the way it should be written.
Note:
Any "inverter/charger" will ALWAYS have Phcn/gen input, anyone!

Okay good.

Rounds of beers for everyone.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 8:58am On Jan 05, 2020
Converter vs. Inverter.
Converters and inverters are electrical devices that convert current. Converters convert the voltage of an electric device, usually alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). On the other hand, inverters convert direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC).

That is the answer to what I asked

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 10:13am On Jan 05, 2020
oliyeniun:
Hello house,

Please i am trying to install a solar panel system for my parents, can you recommend a good solar installer in Ilorin?

Secondly, I want to ask if anyone can help with the schematic drawing for hybrid inverter connection. I am not an expert but I try to read up, and from my readings, it seems that the connection of solar hybrid inverter is different from the normal solar-inverter connection.

Thirdly, I assume I don't need a charge controller if I am using a hybrid inverter...please help clarify.

Lastly, what is the recommended cable size and type for connection from the panels to the inverter....this is so that if I don't get a recommended installer, I can at least monitor the one I can manage to get to ensure a good connection.

Thanks house.

If it is an Axpert hybrid inverter and you are using flooded batteries you will need a charge controller so that the batteries will not die within a short while. It has something to do with the charging parameters for and Axpert hybrid inverter with flooded batteries

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 11:00am On Jan 05, 2020
oliyeniun:
Hello house,

Please i am trying to install a solar panel system for my parents, can you recommend a good solar installer in Ilorin?

Secondly, I want to ask if anyone can help with the schematic drawing for hybrid inverter connection. I am not an expert but I try to read up, and from my readings, it seems that the connection of solar hybrid inverter is different from the normal solar-inverter connection.

Thirdly, I assume I don't need a charge controller if I am using a hybrid inverter...please help clarify.

Lastly, what is the recommended cable size and type for connection from the panels to the inverter....this is so that if I don't get a recommended installer, I can at least monitor the one I can manage to get to ensure a good connection.

Thanks house.

I believe Abunafiu is in Ilorin axis if I am not mistaking
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by funshyboi(m): 11:16am On Jan 05, 2020
Saipro:

... as soon as the batteries are reasonably "full", the battery voltage would rise rapidly to match that of the PV output. Unless the incoming current (after deducting loads and losses) is really small compared to battery capacity (typically 4% or less). Given those conditions being met, you're likely to damage your battery from undercharging. As you can see, either way is a lose-lose. Slip in a cheap but functional CC and you'll minimise the possibility of a premature battery death or worse, a fire.

Thanks for this reasonable info. Now I see the reason in the bolded

And my question is what type and name of wire can I use for the connections
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 11:28am On Jan 05, 2020
I never wondered about it until you pointed it out.

The explanation isn't intuitive sha.
Topmost11:
Converter vs. Inverter.
Converters and inverters are electrical devices that convert current. Converters convert the voltage of an electric device, usually alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). On the other hand, inverters convert direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC).

That is the answer to what I asked
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

How has the charge controller been performing?

What voltage comes out of the load interface of the charge controller?

This is 11;57am 5/1/2020

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oblo(m): 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2020
simydan:

You can hook me up when in need of lifepo4 battery you could get a better deal...

How can I reach you?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 12:19pm On Jan 05, 2020
Topmost11:

I have been out of town since I installed the cc so I haven't been able to do any recording. And the stupid cc will always revert to zero after sundown so I don't have the record. The day I connected it ,the reading was 175 watts at about 3pm and voltage 13.7 for panel and 12.6 for battery.

I will have to check the manual again. I dispensed with the cc after purchase because it reverts to zero after sundown and does not give me cumulative log. More so the pwm is serving well. So I boxed it.

Lol... why do you call it stupid? Log storage most likely wasn't added as a feature.

Is there a setting to cut off the output to that load at a certain battery level/voltage?, you said you were gona check the manual.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2020
Charge controller inside inverter == HYBRID Inverter.

Inverter + PHCN/GEN input == GRID-TIED Inverter.

Plain Inverter (No charging) == OFF-GRID Inverter.

Excuse my French grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2020
BetaTechnicians:
Charge controller inside inverter == HYBRID Inverter.
[s]
Inverter + PHCN/GEN input == GRID-TIED Inverter[/s].

Plain Inverter (No charging) == OFF-GRID Inverter.

Excuse my French grin

Normal inverter == Has grid/gen input +inbuilt batt charger.This is about the commonest inverter in use in nigeria

Bro, your French is poor . grin grin grin

Grid tied inverters are special inverters designed to inject back excess power generated from solar panels, wind turbines etc into the grid..aka nepa, and you usually get paid for the power you injected.
Not for use in nigeria and many other 3rd word countries , as their grid/system doesnt support such

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2020
earthrealm:

you usually get paid for the power you injected.

Not in Naija grid grin

Our grid is not that smart grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 1:44pm On Jan 05, 2020
earthrealm:

Normal inverter == Has grid/gen input +inbuilt batt charger.This is about the commonest inverter in use in nigeria

Grid tied inverters are special inverters designed to inject back excess power generated from solar panels, wind turbines etc into the grid..aka nepa, and you usually get paid for the power you injected.
Not for use in nigeria and many other 3rd word countries , as their grid/system doesnt support such
Try grid-tie operation in Nigeria and you'll probably kill a few NEPA folk during their maintenance runs. That's asides giving away power for free while stressing your inverter.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 1:46pm On Jan 05, 2020
idsolar:

I believe Abunafiu is in Ilorin axis if I am not mistaking
Saipro is in Ilorin too but I'm more of a hobbyist. I'd rather teach you the DIY route to your destination. Reach out if you don't mind getting your hands dirty (and possibly learning how your setup works, in the process)

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 1:51pm On Jan 05, 2020
Happy new year of love, prosperity, peace and joy.

May the new year be filled with brightness and hope so that darkness and sadness stay away

We must challenge the inadequacies that made Nigeria �� become the global headquarters of extremist poverty

This moment calls for more empathy and sacrifice. The New Year has come with the opportunity to make better impressions in our lives and in the lives of people around us.

May all your Nights be as Bright as daylight

�HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020 �

BRIGHT SOLAR POWER
BRIGHT ENERGY
XENAL AUTOMATED SYSTEM

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 1:52pm On Jan 05, 2020
earthrealm:

I am not totally wrong, Yes I'm aware of the common usage of "grid-tied" which is to describe a system which gives back to the grid, is metered and the owner gets compensated, but the term is usually interchangeably used to describe an ON-GRID system which we use here.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by simydan(m): 2:11pm On Jan 05, 2020
oblo:

How can I reach you?

You can reach me: 08134608560.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 2:31pm On Jan 05, 2020
ceaser:

Please note that the screen display can not be switched off, at least that's with the one I have. This picture seems to show an improved new model (can't be so sure but the switch on this is different from that in mine).

Also I found out that generally, inverters with in-built AC charger tend to have higher no-load consumption hence the reason I retired it for one with no AC charger. I didn't really test the consumption but I took that "fact" of higher no-load consumption as a fact.

This inverter has in-built voltage stabilizer as well, so I guess that will further contribute to no-load consumption.

Another thing noteworthy in this inverter is the fact that when the charging voltage is low to around 180v to around 196v (which is very common with NEPA supply) and you have appliances plugged into it, the voltage stabilizer switches the battery charging off and shunts the voltage directly to power the appliance, hence battery charging suffers. But if appliances aren't plugged in during this period, the battery is charged.

If voltage input is adequate, charging is quite fast (I think the in-built charger is 20A) and it is able to power appliances at the same time.

I hated that problem so I bought an external charger to charge my batteries.

Thanks for these intelligent observations...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:50pm On Jan 05, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

I am not totally wrong, Yes I'm aware of the common usage of "grid-tied" which is to describe a system which gives back to the grid, is metered and the owner gets compensated, but the term is usually interchangeably used to describe an ON-GRID system which we use here.

Na waoh o.
No comment bro tongue

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Callmenuel1(m): 3:25pm On Jan 05, 2020
Canadian 320watt solar panel is available now, #65 000. Contact us on- 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Callmenuel1(m): 3:27pm On Jan 05, 2020
5kva Kartel pure sine wave inverter is available, #125 000. Contact us on - 08168986461

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Callmenuel1(m): 3:31pm On Jan 05, 2020
100amphs, 12volts GBM battery is available, #35 000. Contact us on - 08168986461

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Callmenuel1(m): 3:34pm On Jan 05, 2020
10mm, 2 core installation wire is available, #950 per yard. Contact us on - 08168986461

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Callmenuel1(m): 3:41pm On Jan 05, 2020
6mm, 2 core installation wire available, #650 per yard. Contact us on - 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oliyeniun: 4:59pm On Jan 05, 2020
No, its AGM and the inverter is a Schneider make. 1.5V.
DUNKA:
If it is an Axpert hybrid inverter and you are using flooded batteries you will need a charge controller so that the batteries will not die within a short while. It has something to do with the charging parameters for and Axpert hybrid inverter with flooded batteries
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oliyeniun: 5:06pm On Jan 05, 2020
Thanks all for the response. It was really helpful. I appreciate.
oliyeniun:
Hello house,

Thanks house.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oliyeniun: 5:33pm On Jan 05, 2020
I am very much interested sir! I tried reaching out also. Thanks for this opportunity.
Saipro:

Saipro is in Ilorin too but I'm more of a hobbyist. I'd rather teach you the DIY route to your destination. Reach out if you don't mind getting your hands dirty (and possibly learning how your setup works, in the process)

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (1766) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Hero2t, Sapiosexuality(m), HeavenlyBang(m), Disco01(m), bluefilm and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.