Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,698 members, 7,882,367 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:27 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (899) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2178204 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) (901) (902) ... (1765) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 10:18pm On Nov 18, 2020
The inverter may or may not have an issue(because you don't know whether the inverter intentionally connects the negative DC bus to the neutral AC output, and you also don't know whether his palms were sweaty), but you do know that earthing won't prevent you from getting a shock if you touch the live terminal while some other part of your body is touching the neutral or earth. It will shock you in fact because it is grounded.

He stated that he got a shock when he touched the positive terminal not when he touched the metal casing.

ojesymsym:
This has to be wrong info. Electric shock on battery terminal suggest that the inverter has an issue already. In my experience, earthing will take away those kinds of leakage current rather than allow it shock you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 7:25am On Nov 19, 2020
dejidotun2000:
Can one adjust the settings(charging current, low voltage disconnect etc) on this inverter ?
Yeah, it can be adjusted.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:58am On Nov 19, 2020
ojeysky:
BMV 712 with 500A shunt, aux cable, long comms cable, temp sensor - 125k

12.8v 280AH LFP pack with 40A utility charger - 350k

Bus bars, 7s to 16s ANT BMS, 4s smart BMS, balancers(4s, 8s, 16s)

080-three 5-23-3535

Pay 110k for the BMV pack within this week
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viperVIP: 1:40pm On Nov 19, 2020
Thank you all for your contribution.
I couldn't find a place to buy the hydrometer around.
I'll opt to buying online so I can do the check and make necessary adjustment.

odimbannamdi:

Interesting revelation! Thanks bro.

CC: viperVIP
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2020
Barezzi:
Clean install, but is that styrofoam used to support the battery?
Yeah sir, it comes with the battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2020
danowena:

Very neat job. smiley
Thanks boss
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2020
Is ot just me, or panel degradation setting in.
A 2kw panel array on 60amps cc. 24v inverter struggles to hit 6kw with all the intense sunlight this period.

Same setup easily hit 6.8kw previously.
Is anybody experiencing similar poor harvest?.
Max instantenous i observed was 1.3kw by noon.

What could be the cause?.
Installation about 4 yrs old chinese panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:45pm On Nov 19, 2020
shithapuns:
A 2kw panel array on 60amps cc. 24v inverter struggles to hit 6kw with all the intense sunlight this period.

Sun movement and panel tilt

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:00pm On Nov 19, 2020
shithapuns:

The days are getting drier, the atmosphere is getting dustier which obstructs the sun's rays. Panel could be partially covered by the dust, of course.

Some of the key results reveal that optimum tilt angle changes between 0° and 42° throughout the year in Nigeria. The optimum value is found to be 0° during the raining seasons (i.e., April-August) in all locations. Findings also show that the optimum tilt angle increases in the range of 5° to 42° during the dry seasons (September-March) reaching its maximum value in the month of December in all the locations. The extractable power on optimum inclined surface increase in the range of 2.5%-9% compared to horizontal surface while the cost of electricity (COE) reduces by 6%-9% when solar panel is placed on optimally inclined surface.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 5:49am On Nov 20, 2020
mctfopt:

The days are getting drier, the atmosphere is getting dustier which obstructs the sun's rays. Panel could be partially covered by the dust, of course.

Some of the key results reveal that optimum tilt angle changes between 0° and 42° throughout the year in Nigeria. The optimum value is found to be 0° during the raining seasons (i.e., April-August) in all locations. Findings also show that the optimum tilt angle increases in the range of 5° to 42° during the dry seasons (September-March) reaching its maximum value in the month of December in all the locations. The extractable power on optimum inclined surface increase in the range of 2.5%-9% compared to horizontal surface while the cost of electricity (COE) reduces by 6%-9% when solar panel is placed on optimally inclined surface.
Ojeysky.

Thanks for the explanation, my question is, Are you guys/other people experiencing a similar reduction in harvest.

I also learnt a failing battery bank or a bad battery in the mix could cause poor harvest again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:25am On Nov 20, 2020
shithapuns:

Ojeysky.

Thanks for the explanation, my question is, Are you guys/other people experiencing a similar reduction in harvest.

I also learnt a failing battery bank or a bad battery in the mix could cause poor harvest again.

Sure I normally experience this though now my panel is oversized so i don't notice anymore. In other to check if it's a failing battery, you could introduce load and see if the instantaneous yield will increase significantly if it doesn't then you are good with battery

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:10pm On Nov 20, 2020
shithapuns:

Ojeysky.

Yeah, my production has reduced. But you can rule out failing battery by adding more loads to the inverter when it's sunny and watch the charge flowing in. Check whether the current increases (after the sunshine drops and picks up) and sharply tapers off (same may happen when battery is full or near full). But if battery is neither, then you may have a failed or failing battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:11pm On Nov 20, 2020
ojeysky:

Sure I normally experience this though now my panel is oversized so i don't notice anymore. In other to check if it's a failing battery, you could introduce load and see if the instantaneous yield will increase significantly if it doesn't then you are good with battery

Stop reading my mind. Just typed same before seeing this grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Spanishmario(m): 5:01pm On Nov 20, 2020
For a 1.5kva inverter, how many watts solar panel do I need and quantity. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojtech8291: 5:57pm On Nov 20, 2020
mctfopt:

Yeah, my production has reduced. But you can rule out failing battery by adding more loads to the inverter when it's sunny and watch the charge flowing in. Check whether the current increases (after the sunshine drops and picks up) and sharply tapers off (same may happen when battery is full or near full). But if battery is neither, then you may have a failed or failing battery.
Please can you explain more on this? The same thing is happening to one 24V setup now. Sometimes it will work fine but the following day inverter will just shut down with the sunset. Though I discovered that one of the battery down to 10V while the other is 12V. The cable from that connect the battery to the Inverter are not equal. The +Ve is longer that -Ve could that be the cause? if not what could be the cause of this?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojtech8291: 6:12pm On Nov 20, 2020
Spanishmario:
For a 1.5kva inverter, how many watts solar panel do I need and quantity. Thanks
The Inverter may not determine the size of your panel if you have an external charge controller. However, for 1.5KVA the highest size of an array should be 1KW. Gurus can come in here.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 6:20pm On Nov 20, 2020
Lol. Na dust. Suffering saimilar as I'm not yet an oversized baby grin

The real problem is, how will I carry bucket, water & mop to the 2nd floor roof to clean them panels

shithapuns:

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 6:59pm On Nov 20, 2020
still available
63A DC circuit breaker(used)

3pcs 125A automatic transfer switch 2pole(brand new)

100A automatic transfer switch 4pole(brand new)

lcd battery monitor with 100A shunt (used)

barely used very clean 2000w STARLITE stablizer(with extra socket for 110V)

all used ones are very clean and working perfectly and for sale @affordable prices. can be easily waybilled to anywhere.
whatsapp 080-8541-5985.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 7:29pm On Nov 20, 2020
ojtech8291:
The Inverter may not determine the size of your panel if you have an external charge controller. However, for 1.5KVA the highest size of an array should be 1KW. Gurus can come in here.

The array size is strictly determined by your use case scenario/your pocket, not by the size of your inverter. The idea of solar is to be able to replenish your battery to 100% by the end of the day. So, you need to work out your power usage and calculate how much energy you need to put back into your battery to make it happy and then calculate the amount of solar panel that will give you that. Then oversize your array a little to cater for bad solar days.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 9:24pm On Nov 20, 2020
odimbannamdi:
Clearance sale/Black Friday Deal.

Brand new Suoer 2000w inverter with 20a charging function.

I bought it for my personal use, but i never got to use it.

Idle current is 0.4a

Free gift: Brand new 20a Sollatek surge protector, ideal in protecting your fridge and ACs against power surges.

Depending on your location, items can be brought down to a popular bustop for you, at no extra charge.

Price: 18,000, non-negotiable

Still available

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 12:10am On Nov 21, 2020
Kenya Power raises alarm over clients solar switch
Friday November 20 2020

The growing shift to solar power systems by heavy-consuming industrialists seeking reliable and cheaper supply has rattled electricity distributor Kenya Power amid thinning revenues.

The utility firm said some of its industrial customers — who account for about 54.8 percent of its sales revenues — are gradually shifting to own-generated solar power, dealing a further blow to its already dwindling finances.

“The company operated in a challenging environment over the financial year under review, where demand growth at 3.7 percent remained below the projected level of five percent. The dampened demand growth is further compounded with the increased threats of grid defection by the industrial category as decentralised renewable energy options are becoming more available and cheaper," Kenya Power revealed in its latest annual report.

The company got some Sh63 billion from the industrial customers who bought 4,462 Gigawatt hours in the year to June 2019, representing 45 per cent of its total revenue.

The big shift to solar power by heavy consumers has pushed Kenya Power into deeper dilemma in the wake of excess production of electricity.

Power generation crossed a record one billion kilowatt-hours in October — adding financial pressure on the distributor, which is already paying for huge volumes of idle electricity.

Power generators have raised production amid reduced consumption by homes and businesses in the wake of Covid-19.

Payments for idle electricity is a pass-on cost to consumers thanks to a take-or-pay clause contained in contracts signed between the government and power producers, compelling Kenya Power to buy the agreed amount of electricity regardless of need.

Kenya Power projects the latest growth in demand to remain at approximately 2.3 per cent in 2020, which is much lower compared to the historical 10-year average of 5.9 per cent.

Several companies, universities and factories have turned to solar photovoltaic (PV) grid-tied systems to supply power for internal use to ensure reliable supply and reduced operational costs.

Big power consumers such as Africa Logistics Properties (ALP), Mombasa International Airport, the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (Icipe) have recently commissioned solar power units on their properties.

In September 2018, ALP installed a 506 kilowattpeak (kWp) hybrid solar PV, hoping to save Sh12 million per year.

In the same month Icipe commissioned its $2.5 million (Sh273.5 million) two solar PV power plants located in Kasarani, Nairobi, and on the shores of Lake Victoria. The plants have a combined generating capacity of 1,156 kWp.

Moi International Airport in Mombasa is also set to install a 500 KW solar PV system. The ground-mounted solar system is expected to generate 820,000 kWh per year and offset 1,300 tonnes of carbon dioxide annually.

Nairobi’s Garden City Mall set up a $1.9 million (Sh207.8 million) solar carport to generate 1,256 megawatt hours annually from the 3,300 solar panels installed on the topmost car park shade, projecting that this would help it cut power bills by about Sh31.6 million annually.

London Distillers Ltd also installed 1 MWp roof solar system in Athi River, helping it offset the need for grid energy and save at least Sh18.4 million annually over the system lifespan of 25 years.

Williamson Tea likewise cut the ribbon on a 1MW solar farm in Changoi, saying it would help cut its energy bills by nearly one third.

In December 2018, Kenyatta University switched on the first phase of a Sh1.7 billion solar plant that will see the institution generate its own electricity and offload excess power to the national grid. The 100 kilowatt (KW) solar plant, located on main campus off Thika Road cost about Sh17 million. It was developed by France-based solar panels manufacturer Urbasolar.

In 2014, Strathmore University installed 600 KW roof top PV solar plant, part of which is also being sold to the national grid. The university estimated the cash savings from the project at between Sh18 million and Sh24 million annually.

Several others, including Kapa Oil Refineries, are lining up to join the solar bandwagon. Kapa Oil wants to install a 1.5 megawatts (MW) PV grid-tied system for internal use.

Official data released last year showed that some 2.3 million households also used solar for lighting, representing about 19.3 per cent of the total number of homes.

The 2019 census report put solar lighting uptake in homes at 19.3 per cent. Rural areas recorded above 29.9 per cent, higher than the rural national grid connections that stood at 26 per cent.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DADAL: 11:48am On Nov 21, 2020
ojeysky:

To have done 28kAH it's likely it will be more than 13 cycles in practice. You may need to check settings on your victron, though it may no longer be necessary as you've moved to LFP, also I guess you meant never gone below 70% DOD.
Happy sales!

One cycle is counted when the accumulated discharge reaches a lower SOC over any chronological period. The battery bank were changed by the grid or solar before reaching a cycle threshold.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 11:59am On Nov 21, 2020
DADAL:

One cycle is counted when the accumulated discharge reaches a lower SOC over any chronological period. The battery bank were changed by the grid or solar before reaching a cycle threshold.
I thought cycling is dependent on state of discharge and you can cycle the battery even at 95% state of charge thereby giving you more cycle life in the long run and cycling for victron is 65% if I remember. Since I bought my tubular batteries 2 years ago my bmv 700 is still reading 0 cycles but my battery has different cycle life for different state of charge
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DADAL: 12:00pm On Nov 21, 2020
Batteries was supplied by KieKie and he was the one who wrote the commissioned date on them.

Still available.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2020
dejidotun2000:
The inverter may or may not have an issue(because you don't know whether the inverter intentionally connects the negative DC bus to the neutral AC output, and you also don't know whether his palms were sweaty), but you do know that earthing won't prevent you from getting a shock if you touch the live terminal while some other part of your body is touching the neutral or earth. It will shock you in fact because it is grounded.

He stated that he got a shock when he touched the positive terminal not when he touched the metal casing.

True. I touched the positive terminal and I had no footwears on; the two bare feets on the tiled floor.

I would have tried to re-create the scenario but wearing shoes this time around just so to be sure that the inverter is not faulty. But mba! I have successfully resisted the enemy's temptation.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 12:56pm On Nov 21, 2020
shithapuns:

I noticed similar trend in panels installed within six months. Initially does 1.4kw in installed 1.28kw but now barely does 900 watts. Panels is 20 degrees facing south, as dictated by the roof.

Meanwhile similar installation that I witnessed was shooting out 1.3kw immediately it came online two weeks back.
Panel orientation is approx 50 degrees South-West, also dictated by roof.

ojeysky:

Sun movement and panel tilt

Oh, okay.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) (901) (902) ... (1765) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Decentlyproud(m), mank1234(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.