Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,858 members, 7,889,869 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:09 PM

I’m Happy With My Bronze - Amodu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I’m Happy With My Bronze - Amodu (575 Views)

Victor Moses Happy With Eagles Return / Fifa Admits Bronze Boot Error, Chukwueze Not Nwakali Winner / Okagbare Wins 200m Bronze At IAAF World Championships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’m Happy With My Bronze - Amodu by FBS: 10:37am On Feb 01, 2010
While Hassan Shehatta is celebrating his trio of victory, Africa giants, Nigeria – though her coach Shaibu Amodu has decalared in a case of twisted humour that he is proud of his dull bronze. Last Saturday in Angola, Obinna Nsofor scored the match winner in the 55th minute of the third place match after he sprinted through a crowded Algerian defence before slotting past diving goalkeeper Lamine Zemmamouche.

The victory gave the Super Eagles theiri seventh third-place finish at the Africa football fiesta. The country has been taking home the black metal since 1976. Other bronzed years for the team, from Green Eagles to Super Eagles were ‘78, '92, 2002, 2004 and 2006.

Amodu said he was at least satisfied his team finished in third even though their target was to win the championship. "The match was above average especially in the first half and we started with a little bit of fear. Any team that scored first would have won the game. However, we had to psyche ourselves because we needed to win the third place," he said.

"We have done well enough even though we may not have played to our full potential, but with longer preparations we can do a lot better. We improved with each game, we were not at our best in Angola but we can be better before the World Cup."

Not bothered the fact that given the weapons he had and the scant achievement he recorded, that he was already an abject failure, he dismissed speculations that he could be fired before the World Cup in June. "I have never been bothered about speculation about my future because they are just speculation. My employers are satisfied with my work," he said.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=165480

(1) (Reply)

Super Eagles Or Green Eagles. / Starting A Parallel Nigerian Football League. / Odemwingie Makes Caf Xi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.