Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,557 members, 7,972,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 11:40 PM

Nigeria: '2.1 Million People Killed By Contaminated Food Annually' - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigeria: '2.1 Million People Killed By Contaminated Food Annually' (1045 Views)

NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles / Contaminated Caprisonne Juice Is In Circulation - Beware / Contaminated Water Causes Scare In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: '2.1 Million People Killed By Contaminated Food Annually' by newmaster(m): 11:53am On Feb 01, 2010
Tina A. Hassan
31 January 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email|Print|Comment
Share:
interview

Contaminated foods have been proven to be the cause of death of at least 2.1 million people globally and according to the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, developing countries lose billions of dollars annually to a particular type of food contaminant known as Aflatoxin which experts say they are about to phase out because of the development of a biocontrol drug by IITA known as Aflasafe. In this interview, Mr. Ranajit Bandyophadhay, a pathologist with the institute speaks on the journey that led to the development of Aflasafe and how to end Aflatoxin contamination in Africa among other issues.

Tell us about your work at IITA

I am a plant pathologist, and one of my main responsibilities is how to manage plant diseases. The other is to ensure food safety. This is so because 2.1 million people die by contaminated food every year.

What about your work on biocontrol?

This is one of the most exciting projects that I have ever had. The work on biocontrol is on a toxin found on maize and peanuts called Aflatoxins. The toxin causes a lot of harm to people's health and also makes farmers sell their products at lower prices. So, the loses are both in terms of health and trade. What I am trying to do is to manage the Aflatoxins using a holistic approach, such as using resistant varieties, better crop management practices, and also the biological control method.

What is unique about your biocontrol work?

One thing that is unique is that we are using the natural resources from Nigeria to manage an economic and medical problem. We are making use of nontoxic fungi to eliminate the harmful fungi (Aflatoxins).

What are Aflatoxins?

Aflatoxins are harmful chemicals that are produced by a fungus called Aspergillus Flavus.

The fungi produce toxins in maize, peanuts, and generally grains. When people eat them, it harms them and causes diseases such as liver cancer and kwashiorkor, among others. Worst still, farmers cannot sell their products at the premium price.

What makes you keen about biocontrol?

It is one of the strongest components of the holistic approach. If we can have the biocontrol approach adopted by farmers, most of the problems concerning Aflatoxins which they face during postharvest will be greatly reduced.

Do you see IITA in the position to offer the biocontrol option to farmers?

Absolutely yes. The reason is that we actually started with good science and that science has given birth to a new product which the farmers are willing to use.

Tell us about this product.

The product is "Aflasafe". We coined the name Aflasafe. When farmers use the product on their farms, they would produce grains that are free from Aflatoxins.

Did you face any challenge in developing the product?

The first challenge was developing the product itself. The fresh challenge now is how to get a large manufacturing firm to begin massive production, advocacy, and awareness so that it gets to the farmers.

Have any of them show interest so far?

We made a presentation to the Minister of Health, Prof. Babatunde Osotimehin, and he was so excited about the product. We also did a field deployment and the farmers were also very happy about it.

Who are your partners in this work?

Relevant Links
West Africa
Nigeria
Health
Food and Agriculture
Sustainable Development
Many organizations and people were involved in this work. They include the African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF), National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, farmers, United States Department of Agriculture, US Agency for International Development, Prof Peter Cotty, Dr Joseph Atehnkeng, and several others.

How were you able to handle these partners?

Every partner is a unique entity but one thing important is to build trust. Once that is done, the partnership gets smooth.

Research wise, what are you future plans?

My future plan is to get this product used on at least one million hectares. I intend to put all my efforts to see that this product is used for the benefit of the farmers in general and women and children who are more vulnerable to Aflatoxins

.http://allafrica.com/stories/201002010608.html?
Re: Nigeria: '2.1 Million People Killed By Contaminated Food Annually' by Amobi1(m): 10:31am On Feb 02, 2010
watever men. i just dont believe. thats all i can say.
Re: Nigeria: '2.1 Million People Killed By Contaminated Food Annually' by Fhemmmy: 3:36am On Feb 03, 2010
Who keeps the stats?

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me With Exotic Wine Names / Pop Corn As A Lucrative Bussiness / Mixed Vegetables Curry Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.