Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,848 members, 7,882,970 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 08:21 PM

Tinubu Not The Villain, Says Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Not The Villain, Says Fashola (570 Views)

Obasanjo, Tinubu Not Yoruba Leaders – Afenifere / I Won Election By God’s Grace And Tinubu, Not By My Money, Power, Says Buhari / Tinubu, Not PDP Group Is Behind Calls For Buhari’s Resignation – Northern Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Not The Villain, Says Fashola by trueword: 8:04am On Feb 02, 2010
Tinubu Not the Villain, Says Fashola
House probe committee alleges death threat
By Omololu Ogunmade, Gboyega Akinsami and Femi Durojaiye, 02.02.2010

Governor Babatunde Fashola yesterday absolved Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu of complicity in the allegations levelled against him in a newspaper advert which is causing ripples in the state.
In another twist, members of the committee set up by the state legislators to probe allegations of financial impropriety against the governor have alleged threat to their lives via phone calls and text messages.

This comes as a coalition of pro-Fashola groups stormed the Lagos State House of Assembly complex to protest the purpoted impeachment moves against him.
Fashola said: “I am concerned that the information highway has been used to malign the person of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu in a manner, which I humbly think, is undeserving. I wish to advise us to be very reluctant to cast the stone of judgment. Whatever may be our opinion, I am certain that we will not disagree on one fact. The fact is that, but for the Grace of God, the courage of Asiwaju and your votes, I would not be Governor.”

He stated that Tinubu is not the villain because some “unscrupulous” people are using the media to portray him in bad light.
The governor described the advertorial placed in a national daily last week alleging financial impropriety by his administration as damaging the “reputation and integrity of members of different arms of our government, the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and our leaders” in the state.
He said there is no crisis in Lagos. The governor added that there are urgent national issues to be resolved and that attention must not be diverted from finding a solution.

“Let us remember that the June 12 election was annulled by an unsigned press release like the faceless advert that was recently issued. We are yet to recover from it,” he said.
He expressed confidence in the members of the state House of Assembly and their ability to act in the best interest of the state.
[b]Meanwhile, members of the committee set up by the State Assembly to probe allegations against Fashola claim their lives are under threat.
Sanai Agunbiade representing Ikorodu Constituency I on Monday, under Matter of Urgent Public Importance, informed the House about the protesters who stormed the Assembly to protest what they claimed to be a proposed move by the lawmakers to impeach the governor.

According to Agunbiade, “it was discovered that those protesters (at the State Assembly) were sponsored. I don’t know why investigation of alleged financial misappropriation against us and the Governor would mean impeachment. The governor is our governor, but surprisingly, there have been threat phone calls and messages flying around”.
Onibiyo Adelabu told the House he started receiving phone calls last Friday with someone asking him “why did l move the motion to impeach the governor. I was scared of going out because of what could happen, some people are not too sure of the intention of the House.”
On his part, Moshood Oshun, a member of the committee, said that since last Thursday when the committee was inaugurated, he had received several calls and most are threatening. “The fact that a committee was constituted does not mean we have started a move to impeach the governor,” he explained. [/b]

The Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, on his part stated that “whether hired or rented, the House should be opened at all times. If two or three people had agreed to protest to the House, they are free, inasmuch as they don’t throw stones. They sang all sorts of songs; the right voice would be heard at the end.
“We’ll do our job; we’ll not be intimidated and no number of them can stop the House of Assembly from doing what is right.”
Thee groups comprising Coalition of the Youths for Good Governance (CYGG), Move-ment for Good Governance (MGC), Lovers of Raji Fashola Forum (LORAF) among others, booed Ikuforiji.

The speaker was asked to thread the path of honour that would promote peace and development in the state.
A crowd numbering 3,000 and led by Bishop Abiodun Olugbenro, Mr. Olufemi Odusanya and Mr. Tola Odunlami peacefully marched to the Assembly complex, displaying placards.
Some of the inscriptions read: “No Controversy, Fashola is our Governor; Fashola is the Best Man for the Job; For Governor Fashola, No impeachment.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=165595
Re: Tinubu Not The Villain, Says Fashola by trueword: 8:07am On Feb 02, 2010
Wow. lol. if these house members are getting threats then Lagosians are really serious about making sure nothing happens to Fashola.
Re: Tinubu Not The Villain, Says Fashola by desgiezd(m): 9:03am On Feb 02, 2010
Whatever may be our opinion, I am certain that we will not disagree on one fact. The fact is that, but for the Grace of God, the courage of Asiwaju and your votes, I would not be Governor

This to me is a great sentence from someone who would never bite the finger that fed him.

I am even beginning to think that rather than Tinubu whom many people have said was the sponsor of the publication that is causing problems now, the sponsors may be people from the opposition camp who are bent on capitalising on the misunderstanding between Fashola and Tinubu to destabilise Lagos

(1) (Reply)

Is nigeria getting better or worse / Battle lines drawn over Akunyili's memo / Sick Nigeria President Yar'adua 'to Hand Over Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.