Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,336 members, 7,881,242 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:01 PM

Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa - Politics (237) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa (599372 Views)

Obaseki: Oshiomhole Is Afraid Of Educated People Because He Didn’t Go To School / Video: Ooni Links Aje Festival To Industrious Igbo People / Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) ... (320) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deomelo: 1:35am On Aug 18, 2017

Olatokunbo Arinola Somolu (Engr. Dr.)

The First Female Nigerian Doctorate Degree Holder in the Field of Engineering.

Olatokunbo Arinola Somolu (Engr. Dr.), is the first female Nigerian doctorate degree holder in any field of engineering. She was born in Lagos State on 11th of October, 1950.

She had her primary education at Anglican Girl’s School, Lagos (1957-1962) and her secondary education at Queen’s College, Yaba, Lagos, which she finished in 1967 with eight distinctions.

She further completed her A’ Levels in the same school in 1969, after which she was admitted into the University of Lagos where she graduated top of her class with a B.Sc. degree in Civil Engineering in 1973.

She obtained her Ph.D degree in Civil Engineering (Structures) in 1978, thus becoming the first Nigerian woman to hold a Ph.D in any field of Engineering.

Dr. Somolu started her professional career as Pupil Engineer with Sokoto Waterworks in 1973. She was a Senior Lecturer and also the Head of Department, Civil Engineering, Yaba College of Technology between 1977 and 1982.

She joined NNPC in 1982 as Assistant Chief Civil Engineer. She was Head, Civil Engineering Unit of ETD, NNPC in 1990, Head, Special Projects in 1992 and Manager, Engineering in 1995. In November 2003, she was appointed General Manager (Projects) and in February 2005 she became the first woman to Head the Engineering and Technology Division (ETD) of NNPC as the Group General Manager.

Her engineering prowess can be appreciated through the major projects she supervised. These include: The world class NNPC Towers Complex in Abuja, DPR offices in Kofo Abayomi, V/Island, the New Atlas Cove Jetty and NNPC Floating Fuel Filling Stations. She voluntarily retired from NNPC in 2009 after 27 years of active and dedicated services

Dr. Somolu has undertaken several national assignments. She was a member of the Boards of Federal Emergency Road Management Agency (FERMA) and the Nigerian Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA). She was inducted into the Nigerian Women Hall of Fame in 2007 as the first Nigerian Female to hold a Ph.D. in Engineering.

She has received several honours and awards for her professional excellence. She is a COREN Registered Engineer, Fellow, The Nigerian Society of Engineers and Member, Nigerian Institute of Management.

A wonderful trail blazer and inspiration.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Markfemi2: 1:40am On Aug 18, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

Can you successfully defend Yorubaland borders against rampaging Boko Haram/Islamist invaders especially when a significant portion of the erstwhile Nigerian army is now on their side?

Of course !!
We will train an army for that !

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Markfemi2: 1:41am On Aug 18, 2017
kn23h:

Just like one Nigeria is successfully doing?

Right?

The same Northerners you want to invite to dinner to chop cake are the same ones trying to stop the Lagos-Ibadan rail budget.

The same north said no to 1%
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Markfemi2: 1:51am On Aug 18, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

Please what are the royalties and taxes Lagos and Ogun pay to the FG?

Dont they get federal allocation?

What I see here is a man who doesn't know how Nigeria works !
pls what is your email so i can educate you on how proper society operates
that you dont know the royalties lagos and ogun pays to fg means you dont know a lot of things !
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 3:04am On Aug 18, 2017

Shade Ladipo is the Country Director for WEConnect International in Nigeria, a travel and business entrepreneur, and social activist. She is also a regular voice on Smooth FM’s “Grapevine” and a freelance media personality. WEConnect International identifies, educates, registers, and certifies women's business enterprises based outside of the U.S, that are at least 51% owned, managed, and controlled by one or more women, and then connects them with multinational corporate buyers. The organisation also runs the WEConnect Academy where women are taught how to grow their companies through a 10 module series, which provides female business owners, a comprehensive overview of the different elements, that make businesses successful.

Nigeria joins South Africa as the second market in Africa where WEConnect International has established a presence. The organization also operates in Asia, South Asia, North America, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean.

At the age of 25, Shade founded Avienti Limited — a Destination Management Company with three offices in Nigeria. She has worked with the United Nations Volunteers Nigeria and several advertising agencies where she specialized in event management, account management, and client services and strategy.

Shade is one of the founding members of the Lagos Global Shapers and represents Nigeria at World Economic Forum events. She is also the Co-Founder of Enough Is Enough Nigeria, now one of the most vocal non-partisan organizations, credited to being a major part of the platforms for young people, in deciding Nigeria’s path of change.

Shade has been recognized by several platforms for her work as a change agent, and businesswoman. She has been nominated at the Future Awards Africa Awards, chosen as 101 Young Acheivers at the African Business Forum in Accra Ghana in 2008, and selected as a Goldman Sachs fellow.

Ques: IF YOU WERE THE PRESIDENT FOR ONE DAY AND YOU HAVE THE POWER TO FIX ONE THING IN NIGERIA, WHAT WILL IT BE AND WHY?
"I would fix the power problem completely because with power everything gets done better because you spend less money and you can plan better. I would love to be able to read people’s minds. It will save me soooooo much stress. I would live my life the exact way I am living it now. Traveling, enjoying every moment I am in, doing everything I love and living to the fullest, that’s my life right now." http://woman.ng/2015/09/15-hot-questions-for-shade-ladipo-ceo-avienti-limited/

[img]https://3.bp..com/-xk6g6RzVjhg/V6I7m51zzZI/AAAAAAAAB6Q/hra0jFwcxyM4vTepnl-3HOFfWTMGI88cQCLcB/s1600/13895519_10153629824206447_6173754038829808497_n.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 3:13am On Aug 18, 2017
deomelo:

Olatokunbo Arinola Somolu (Engr. Dr.)

A wonderful trail blazer and inspiration.

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! Well done, my guy!! wink Am amazed that there is so little information about this woman on the internet! shocked She should be more widely celebrated, and there should be a lot more interviews conducted with her, so that everyone can learn from her wealth of experience. Someone should do a documentary on her, because she gives new meaning to the phrase: "Beating the odds & breaking the glass ceiling!" cheesy Instead of our journalist & TV presenters to focus on such a blend of brains and courage, they end up showcasing slay queens, baby mamas and a lot of so-called rubbish celebrities! angry I pray she writes her biography without any delay! I salute her for being a pioneer!!

3 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by 9jakool: 6:27am On Aug 18, 2017
MadamT:

Good post.

Been meaning to log in to hail this brilliant thread. Will do in a mo. But first, I'd like to comment on aspects of this post and the bolded.

It's a shame that our native language is seen as too 'loki'. It's been going on a long time though and seems to have gradually got worse since my time in Nigeria. I remember back in school in the 70s, when we got to Form 3 and were choosing our key subjects, those who chose one of the three main languages as part of their chosen subjects were usually sniggered at. Most students who, for example, chose Yoruba did so, not because they loved it but just to add numbers to their other chosen subjects

In class, we were penalised for "speaking vernacular". Some students who were not so good at speaking the English language would remain mute in class so as not to pay the fine or be laughed at by their peers.

I totally agree about the bolded. I think the lack of promotion of the Yoruba language (or any of the other native languages) stems from ignorance. The ignorance belief that English is superior to our indigenous languages and/or that we must only speak it to our kids so they can be fluent in it. Many don't know or believe that actually, children are born with the innate ability to learn and speak more than one human languages fluently.

Our Asians brothers here don't joke with their native tongue. All their children are spoken to and are taught to speak their language of origin. These children also speak English fluently.

Like you said, it's not that most Nigerians speak perfect, plum-in-the-mouth, queen's English anyway so why not perfect and promote the language native to us?

You are 100% correct. The bolded in itself grind my gears so much. The postcolonial mentality is destroying Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by prodigy24: 7:09am On Aug 18, 2017
[s]
ModsWillKillNL:

I didnt see any Igbos in the profile.

Just because you want to measure up to Yorubas, you started posting random companies as belonging to Igbo industry abi?

Quite pathetic!

Modified: okay I have seen an ibo name.

But he is just an employee of the company according to the bolded above.
[/s]
Just negodu afonja making mouth with Igbo man.. Wonders they say shall never cease. Afonja igbo people are not employees. We employ cheap labours like you. We don't make noise about.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by prodigy24: 7:15am On Aug 18, 2017
[s]
ModsWillKillNL:

If your oil company is not a member of MOMAN, it is an hustling company.

Doesnt cut it jor.

No match!
[/s]
Your sense of reasoning is interestingly morbid. It is now MOMAN that will determine the level of success right. Everyone knows that afonja like forming association, from pepper sellers to mechanic to welder etc. We Igbo's we don't enjoy doing that. I'm hundred percent sure it was formed by afonja. If I were to be into oil and gas ,I will never join any useless group. I'm hundred percent sure that the group with be filled with afonja from president to cleaner. You can go and kiss the truth.. We don't engage in such medieval association. we do business and not meetings.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by prodigy24: 7:20am On Aug 18, 2017
[s]
ModsWillKillNL:

Come on, this is just another average company.

You didnt even profile the owner. I suspect he is not Igbo.

No match!
[/s]
You can choke your ugly face in my asss. I thought you lazy lots like crosschecking the owner. Go and do that yourself. Most Igbo's do not fancy the show off about their business. Most of the companies I have now, do not have a SEO optimization, so they're hardly found. We Igbo people are not your mate. We don't roll with the ugly imps.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by prodigy24: 7:20am On Aug 18, 2017
[s]
ModsWillKillNL:

Dont count your chicks before they are hatched.

For now, it's all an idea.

Doesnt cut it at all.
[/s]
I urge you to stay out of what your brain is not capable of managing. The man you're quoting has three other companies to his name. He couldn't have got the contract to build that hotel if he does have anything he is doing.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Markfemi2: 7:22am On Aug 18, 2017
prodigy24:
[s][/s]
Your sense of reasoning is interestingly morbid. It is now MOMAN that will determine the level of success right. Everyone knows that afonja like forming association, from pepper sellers to mechanic to welder etc. We Igbo's we don't enjoy doing that. I'm hundred percent sure it was formed by afonja. If I were to be into oil and gas ,I will never join any useless group. I'm hundred percent sure that the group with be filled with afonja from president to cleaner. You can go and kiss the truth.. We don't engage in such medieval association. we do business and not meetings.

your mouth is smelling go away
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by prodigy24: 7:23am On Aug 18, 2017
[s]
ModsWillKillNL:

Looks impressive.

But it doesnt rank anywhere near MOMAN oil companies which virtually are all Yoruba owned.

We Yorubas have several oil companies similar to what you put up. The debate is for the highly successful companies.

Hence, no match!
[/s]
Stay off my mention if you don't have anything sensible to post. Most of your are so pathetic. How do you measure the success of companies? Noise? Debt? I can bet with my balls that Yoruba owned companies are insolvent. I know this for sure, because of your reputation in rendering companies bankrupt.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by prodigy24: 7:33am On Aug 18, 2017
[s]
ModsWillKillNL:

Are you sure Yorubas have not taken over the company?

You never can tell o.
[/s]
Lol you think this is an Indian or chinese companies you low lives connive to steal? I worked in a company in Lagos owned by an Indian the sins of this man is he employed Yoruba people. They started littering the compound with fetish and juju . they have tried to kill this man on several occasion, but the man na another strong man on his own. He told me he goes around the compound every morning to ensure there are no juju. You need to hear the terrible stories from this man. These people are evil. You remember around 2009 it was very alarming when Igbo people in high positions in some companies in Lagos were dropping dead. These people are fetishistic! If you rank above them in the company they will do all sort of juju. If you are not strong enough they will delete you.
Most of Igbo people working in Lagos companies have really suffered in their hand.
For those of you who do not know. When ever you're employed in Lagos company that are filled with afonja, run for your dear life if your not strong. This low things are the worst creature on planet.
See this good for nothing oblongo boosting they have taken over a company founded and nurtured by Igbo man... Criminals, reaping where they did not sow...
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by prodigy24: 8:34am On Aug 18, 2017
So all these while all my comments are all in this despicable shithole of a place. When I thought I am responding my page. So you drag me here to get traffic. You use back and fort rant to grow.. Shameless people.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Osaze007: 9:04am On Aug 18, 2017
Well done my people

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Uglyojuku: 9:21am On Aug 18, 2017
prodigy24:
[s][/s]
Lol you think this is an Indian or chinese companies you low lives connive to steal? I worked in a company in Lagos owned by an Indian the sins of this man is he employed Yoruba people. They started littering the compound with fetish and juju . they have tried to kill this man on several occasion, but the man na another strong man on his own. He told me he goes around the compound every morning to ensure there are no juju. You need to hear the terrible stories from this man. These people are evil. You remember around 2009 it was very alarming when Igbo people in high positions in some companies in Lagos were dropping dead. These people are fetishistic! If you rank above them in the company they will do all sort of juju. If you are not strong enough they will delete you.
Most of Igbo people working in Lagos companies have really suffered in their hand.
For those of you who do not know. When ever you're employed in Lagos company that are filled with afonja, run for your dear life if your not strong. This low things are the worst creature on planet.
See this good for nothing oblongo boosting they have taken over a company founded and nurtured by Igbo man... Criminals, reaping where they did not sow...

All sorts of make believe composition from lying Linuses.Only a pig from okija is capable of this..
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by veraponpo(m): 9:32am On Aug 18, 2017
Bashorun J.K. Randle FCA, OFR

Chairman / Chief Executive

He qualified as a Chartered Accountant (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales) in 1969 and joined the London office of Peat Marwick Mitchell & Co. in 1970 after a spell with Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) which took him to Gambia; Cote D’Ivoire; Sierra Leone; and Dahomey (now Benin Republic) as a charity worker. He joined Peat Marwick Cassleton Elliott, Nigeria (which later became Peat Marwick Ani Ogunde; and subsequently KPMG) in 1971. He became a partner in KPMG in 1977. He was appointed as Chief Executive of KPMG Nigeria in 1992 and became the Chairman and Chief Executive in 1993.

He was a member of the International Board of KPMG and President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria in 2003/2004 Presidential Year. He was a member of the Professional Accountants in Business Committee of the International Federation of Accountants from 2003 to 2006.

He has a practising career spanning more than 37 years during which he has been engaged in the audit and provision of accounting, taxation and management consulting services to small, large and mega companies which included banking and finance; manufacturing; oil and gas; service, distribution and retail as well as Government sectors of the economy. At KPMG Audit he served as Client Service Partner on several audit, tax and consulting engagements in both private and public sectors.

He retired from KPMG in 2004 to form J.K. Randle& Co (Chartered Accountants), where he is the Chairman/Chief Executive as well as the Client Service Partner. He overseas all audit engagements.

He has published several books. He has also delivered several papers at seminars and conferences both within and outside the shores of Nigeria. Languages: English and Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by GoldNiagara(m): 9:45am On Aug 18, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

Whether Pascal or Uzoma, both represent the same interest. I am sure Paschal has been profiled in an earlier page.

Even, all the ibo banks added together cant match GTBank

I agree Gt bank declare after profit for January- June, 100 Billion Naira despite recession!
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by ModsWillKillNL: 9:58am On Aug 18, 2017
prodigy24:
[s][/s]

Senseless unsubstantiable rants!

The Yoruba woman running the company is representing a Yoruba interest that can make or mar the company.

You guys are doing her no favour.

If you must do business in Yorubaland, Yorubas must have a stake else...

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Markfemi2: 10:04am On Aug 18, 2017
Johnandv:

Really? shocked

If you like edit it
Doesn't mean your not a pig

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by ModsWillKillNL: 10:15am On Aug 18, 2017
prodigy24:
[s][/s]
Stay off my mention if you don't have anything sensible to post. Most of your are so pathetic. How do you measure the success of companies? Noise? Debt? I can bet with my balls that Yoruba owned companies are insolvent. I know this for sure, because of your reputation in rendering companies bankrupt.

Really, is Capital Oil, the largest ibo cum AMCON owned oil company solvent?

Why then was Ifeanyi Uba stealing NNPC oil to keep it afloat thereby landing in DSS custody?

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Osaze007: 10:16am On Aug 18, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

Why then was Ifeanyi Uba stealing NNPC oil to keep it afloat thereby landing in DSS custody?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by alexxo11(m): 10:21am On Aug 18, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

Looonatic flatiyeasterner!

Have you been to those countries yourself

Nigeria remains the giant of Africa with the largest economy and population.

Stubborn goat!!
well I can't argue about population coz u guys are a lot,but let me tell sthng about economy ...Lagos in terms of economy one can say is better than kenya ...u know why ?because of population ...you are too many and since all of you must remit tax to the state then your state becomes whealthy ...the big question is ..does the tax come back to you in terms of good roads ,stable electricity,clean running water....I doubt ...that's where other countries become bigger than Nigeria...
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by jstbeinhonest(m): 10:42am On Aug 18, 2017
Has anyone profiled Biodun Ogunyemi (not ASSU president)
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by jstbeinhonest(m): 10:46am On Aug 18, 2017
alexxo11:
well I can't argue about population coz u guys are a lot,but let me tell sthng about economy ...Lagos in terms of economy one can say is better than kenya ...u know why ?because of population ...you are too many and since all of you must remit tax to the state then your state becomes whealthy ...the big question is ..does the tax come back to you in terms of good roads ,stable electricity,clean running water....I doubt ...that's where other countries become bigger than Nigeria...

Fair point.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Deedeedee5: 11:09am On Aug 18, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

lols
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by hilroy: 11:17am On Aug 18, 2017
jstbeinhonest:
Has anyone profiled Biodun Ogunyemi (not ASSU president)

Do you mean Biodun Ogunyemi the founder of Optimind method? If yes, then not yet profiled

(1) (2) (3) ... (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) ... (320) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.