Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,813 members, 7,872,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:18 PM

LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population (8546 Views)

Lagos Residents Hit The Streets To Protest As Hunger Strikes Hard Amid Lockdown / Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax / Rivers Election Results: Wike Leads With Over 600,000 Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by casid: 11:34am On Jul 13, 2017
I am harrumphing this with all confidence that our able Governor just lied. If that is the case, there is an urgent need for the swift extirpation of all officers responsible for the collection of taxes because they are not remitting to the state according.
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by persius555(m): 11:34am On Jul 13, 2017
There are over a 200,000 traders/hawkersn Lagos and over a million okada riders and Danfo commercial drivers. All of these people pay one form of levey to LGAs or state bodies.

The only proof of payment they get in return is a piece of ticket that could as well be fake.
Are these set of people also included in the number of tax payers. If they are not, why are they not included since they contribute more than a 500 naira daila to LASG.

Tax receipts must be issued to these set of people too.
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by Emassive(m): 11:40am On Jul 13, 2017
masada:
we can't run away from paying tax
it helps d govt in achieveing its goals
and we can demand for accountability

it's normal in developed countries
naija is not an exception

Shut up there
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by masada: 11:45am On Jul 13, 2017
chuckdee4:

Totally agree but the whole process of taxation is a 2-way street, the government have to use the tax to provide security, infrastructure etc.
At the moment I don't blame people who evade tax because the government do nothing with all the tax collected.

true that
tax evasion is even a normal occurrence any where in the world

Used to work for a company where I had a view of how much Lagos state Inland Revenue rake in monthly and its shocking that the Island is the only place seeing real development in Lagos. A lot more could be done by the government before they start chasing tax evaders

yea
Lagos generates the highest revenue in Nigeria
don't kno why it's like dat
like each other regions ain't contributing to the revenue
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by masada: 11:50am On Jul 13, 2017
Emassive:

Shut up there

lol
tax evaders spotted grin

2 Likes

Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by saintandsinnerz: 11:50am On Jul 13, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Never said yoruba love ibo, stop quoting me out of context.

Besides, which coming for me and my tribe are you talking about other than what some Ugandan reprobates have already infested the cyberspace with.
Why are you turning everything to tribal insult everytime? What kind of upbringing did you have? Why so much hate in you? Can't you seek for rehabilitation? You seriously need help.
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by cooldood(m): 12:00pm On Jul 13, 2017
Sezua:

no vex sir, but i don't believe your figures. Mind you i didn't I'm not talking about only bankers who are full time staff. I said bank workers, and its includes, securities cleaners, contract staff, marketers. They all pay tax.

And am not talking about permanent staff only, if its just permanent staff, then its far less than the number I quoted.#insider info, which you dont have to accept nor believe anyways.Am I justifying the figures quoted by the state govt? certainly not.
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by buffalowings: 12:07pm On Jul 13, 2017
maxiuc:
developers as in Ipob abi

You don dey purge dis morning

Stop eating iya wero beans you no go hear

Small thing AfonjAs go bring tribalism

OK I had to laugh

Iya wero beans
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by buffalowings: 12:08pm On Jul 13, 2017
VocalWalls:
And how many people did the govt help?

Millions of workers in Lagos have tax deducted from their monthly pay, IRS better confess.

Did they factor in the fact that 2/3 of the population are kids?

Of that, 3/4 of the remaining 1/3 are unemployed or under employed.

Where will tax come from?

Personally, I'll only pay income tax to a failed government if there's a gun to my head.

True talk
The guy is talking from his anus grin
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by shinel(f): 12:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
Rubbish! Do they even care to know that the number are the only working class in Lagos, others are jobless.
Nobody cares to provide/create jobs talking about how to collect the little they have to survive.

Failed country!!!
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by safetyInspector(m): 12:36pm On Jul 13, 2017
ODVanguard:

Those empty chestbeaters are confam tax evaders. Paye taxes account for the bulk of Lagos IGR, and we all know most of them are traders in the informal sector and don't remit paye.
Lagos State is not been truthful to herself. Those traders you rightly mentioned are paying heavily to Agboros. Many pays as much as 1,000 - 4,000 on daily basis. If Lagos State can stop those illegal collections from this guys and deploy her agency to do the collection it will increase her revenue tremendously. You cant expect the poor traders to pay such amounts to Agboros and still pay tax, how much are they making?
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by Yyeske(m): 12:37pm On Jul 13, 2017
I'm sure 99% of Lagos based nairalanders don't pay any form of tax, all they do is come on nairaland everyday and abuse each other.

1 Like

Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by justmenoni: 12:38pm On Jul 13, 2017
Yh rite, you and the other one above saying infants bla bla are both ignorant...tax is not based on age..instead its based on earnings... Even if you're one month old and you start working then you're to pay your tax.

Dumaknesset:
At least the taxable ones will be in the region of 10 mill and only 600k pay. It is unfair.
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by Reference(m): 1:55pm On Jul 13, 2017
Perhaps only 600,000 feel the impact of government....
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by arushiuga(m): 2:13pm On Jul 13, 2017
Lagos is a very depressing city. The pig smell the traffic the horrible odour. The roads are death traps. Anybody who says eko ni baje doesn't know what spoil really means. Lagos stinks like a decomposing rat in the bedroom. Anyone who quotes me negatively is an idiot.

1 Like

Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2017
LasgidiOnline:
…Says State Has Not Increased Tax In 10 Years

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode has identified the need for residents to adopt a willful approach to the payment of taxes as a means of addressing fundamental challenges confronting the State and accelerating development in all sectors and sections.

Speaking at a sensitization workshop on 2017 Water Technology and Environmental Control Exhibition and Conference (WATEC) held at Ikeja, Governor Ambode said out of a population of 22million, only 600,000 Lagos residents are up to date in paying their taxes, and that such was not helpful to scale up provision of infrastructure and other amenities for the people.

Responding to a suggestion from one of the participants at the workshop that the State Government should complete the ongoing shoreline protection particularly in the Lekki and Ajah axis as one of the ways to mitigate the impact of torrential rainfalls which caused flooding in the axis last week, Governor Ambode said in as much as government was willing to do such, it was being inhibited by its limited resources.

He said: “Talking about protecting our shoreline, I want to tell you something. The ecological fund that someone talked about does not exist because the previous government, due to political consideration, never gave Lagos anything and protecting the shoreline runs into billions.

“Even doing those groins not to allow the water to break cost a lot of money and then with frozen taxes in the last eight to ten years, there has not been any increase in taxes unlike in the United Kingdom for instance where any young person living there knows that once you start working at the age of 18, your civic obligation is that you must pay tax but here nobody takes it as their business that the new road I am using I need to pay something and so they only pay tax when they are inside the real tax net that is you are paying pay as you earn.

“That is the only way we can catch you and so everybody takes it for granted that government will do it and there is nothing like government money, it is taxes that people are paying that you are asking for this shoreline protection, it is from the taxes that you are asking for us to de-flood, it is from the taxes that you are asking for us to do the roads and all that.

“The number of people paying taxes in Lagos is less than 600,000 people and we are 22million and then 67 percent of the people living in Lagos are below the age of 35 and even the retirees, how much are they paying? They are on pension. So, you have to go through your nose and you want to be as compassionate as possible that in a recession, you don’t overtax people.”

The Governor said it was time for a convergence between civic obligations and the ability of government to build trust by using taxes of citizens judiciously, just assured that his administration, within the available resources, would continue to invest in infrastructure and deliver good governance to make life comfortable and easier for the people.

“What I am saying is that there must be a convergence between civic obligations and the ability of government to build trust and be able to tell people that you know what, the little that you are giving me, I will use it judiciously. When I use it judiciously and you see it overtime, trust me, if you pay more, I will do more.

“Obviously, the vision is there, the plan is there but again it is not driven by anything than the citizens themselves and the area that we need improvement is for citizens to have trust or confidence that the taxes they are paying will be returned back in terms of infrastructure but I can tell you that I am also concerned; I see a lot of things I don’t like but I am inhibited by the amount of money I have,” Governor Ambode said.

http://www.lasgidionline.com.ng/2017/07/lasg-only-600000-lagos-residents-pay.html

lalasticlala

So una just pull out 22 million from thin air as Lagos population.....

Lagos residents no reach 14 million.

Nigeria does not n have never known their population.
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 13, 2017
No need to worry LASG,ya'll got crude oil now. Tax or no tax,you can live free.
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by reptile1: 4:02pm On Jul 13, 2017
I should pay tax to criminals who cudnt provide ordinary tap water. thunder fire those thieving yorubastard asking for tax upandan
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by Emassive(m): 2:13am On Sep 05, 2017
masada:

lol
tax evaders spotted grin
Why should I pay so much to crooks
Re: LASG: Only 600,000 Lagos Residents Pay Tax Out Of 22m Population by Desyner: 2:17am On Sep 05, 2017
Maybe kids too earn in Lagos. Abracadaba stats

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Begin Repatriation Of Nigerian Refugees From Cameroon, Niger, Chad / Air Force To Acquire 2 Aircraft For Crude Oil Theft War / Legislative Workers Vow To Shut Down National, State Assemblies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.