Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,151 members, 7,890,887 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:07 PM

The Dash And The Hyphen: You Can Now Tell Them Apart - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Dash And The Hyphen: You Can Now Tell Them Apart (417 Views)

Grab Offer Now !!! Tell A Friend To Tell A Friend / My Boss Wishes Everyone Happy Birthday Apart From Me.. / There Are So Many Positions Available. Hurry And Apply Now!.. Tell Your Friends. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Dash And The Hyphen: You Can Now Tell Them Apart by TheReadyWriters: 4:10pm On Jul 14, 2017
The dash and hypen are two punctuation signs that get some users confused owing to their similar look. But really, a dash is a dash; and a hyphen, a hyphen. Both signs are different, and so is their usage.
A hyphen joins two or more words together while a dash separates words into parenthetical statements. A parenthesis contains that word or phrase not required for the meaning of a sentence. In other words, with or without them, a sentence retains its meaning.
A hyphen joins words or parts of a word together as can be seen in the following examples:
• In compound words: Mother-in-law, Send-off, self-respect, state-of –the-art-equipment, etc. Also, it is this same sign we use with our compound names likeFani-Kayode.
• To tell one’s age:A two-year old girl
• In numbers above twenty: Twenty-one
• With prefixes: Ex-governor, re-make…
A dash on the other hand, separates words or phrases from the main sentence. It can be used to replace brackets [just as what is contained within a bracket neither adds nor remove from the meaning of the sentence proper], although not very formal when writing. These parenthetical statements separated by a dash only give additional info should it be needed by the reader.
A dash is also used for emphasis at the end of a sentence; just like a colon (smiley but less formal than a colon.
Examples of the use of the dash:
• For emphasis: If you don’t tell me what I want to hear in 5mins, I will walk you out of my property – and I mean it. Staying true makes one beautiful – really beautiful.
• For separating parenthetical statements: Mrs Williams – the lady who just gave a speech – will be leaving for Austria tonight. The condiments – pepper, salt, fish, and spring onions – are ready.

Note:
• The dash has a space in between, while the hyphen is used without any spacing.
• The dash is longer than the hyphen.

1 Like

Re: The Dash And The Hyphen: You Can Now Tell Them Apart by Dmatter(m): 12:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
Copy

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies / Recruitment In Federal Government AGENCIES / . / Please Any Professional Certification Course For A Chemist In Nigeria/foreign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.