Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,222 members, 7,880,815 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:23 AM

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) (66891 Views)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica / The Sinking Of The Titanic- They Lied, It Wasn't The Iceberg / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by DAramis: 5:46pm On Jul 15, 2017
abysirius:
you meant tsunami
You can call it any name you like but bear in mind that some areas (countries) will definitely be submerged (that is, becoming history).

I hope it won't reach that extent sha.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Bizibi(m): 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2017
Pilate2016:
Coastal regions all over the world should be at alert. Oh Lekki! Ordinary rainfall and you were flooded. I pray your residents get sense and emulate Noah.
lmao!!!!
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Myself2(m): 5:58pm On Jul 15, 2017
DAramis:
Flooding loading

No shaking,,,God almighty has sworn never to destroy the world with flood,so those in the nearest path of the iceberg when it begins to thaw should just bear it like our Lekki brethren bore their own last week
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by emmanuelpopson(m): 6:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
now..lemme go and build my own ark as the movie 2012 portrays..it was lekki and the island the oda day..now its gonna be the whole landmass called Lagos... its below sea level and any slight increase of water volume will cause catastrophic damage cum floodings...
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by sirfee(m): 6:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
KingGBsky:

Trump get sense?
The man is such a bull...and to think that I supported him.
Same here bruv,I supported him during his campaign for the white house.He should be extremely careful because some republicans are also against him and his policy...
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Orpe7(m): 6:53pm On Jul 15, 2017
People living in coastal areas like LEKKI u aint seen nothing yet. Na submarine una go still go buy
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by sirfee(m): 7:06pm On Jul 15, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Trump is against it because he said it doesn't represent America's interest.
This school of thought is nothing but sheer mischief..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Chuksaluta(m): 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2

The volume of ice reduces when it is in liquid form, so I expect the water level to drop... or am I missing something?

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by tshege(m): 11:35pm On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg

Slow minded fellow.

Have you ever bought a book on climate science or read more than one article on climate change for you to arrive at this conclusion?
Are you the proverbial ostrich burying it's head in sand in the face of danger?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by tshege(m): 11:43pm On Jul 15, 2017
ogocology:
Much as there is need to be careful, the whole issue is quite exaggerated.
Water actually expands when it freezes, right?
The ice that broke off is already inside the ocean, at least most of it (since iceberg has most of its mass under water), correct?
Now, tell me again how its melting would result in as much as 10cm rise in global water level.
Kindly recall that the iceberg (both visible and hidden parts) has already displaced equal weight of its volume in the space (this time, ocean) where it is submerged.

Come to think of it which is better: a frozen beach or a liquid beach? Think of what happens at a liquid beach- erosion or deposition occurs, whereas a frozen beach nothing happens.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by shuni05: 1:14am On Jul 16, 2017
The Larsen C is a sign of much more worse things to come. Although it might not have a significant impact on sea level as it's already present in the sea, but it's main job is to protect the hundreds of thousands Sq km of land based glaciers stored on Antarctica from sliding into the ocean thereby leading to a significant increase in sea level but that's still not the biggest contributor to sea level rise.

The biggest contributor to SLR is "Thermal Expansion" as climate change intensifies the sea water warms up and tries to take more space so the ocean basin expands. Lots of of big cities will be affected but funny enough, not just lagos but the Niger Delta is also at a greater risk

To those who who believe it's nature, yes it's true it has happened a lot of times in the past and still tend to happen but at this rate, we make it even go much faster. And as humans we will try our best to slow it to the barest minimum or even reverse the course (perhaps the dinosaurs kept doing their thing till they got wiped off grin)

There will always be skeptics but if people had listened to them then nothing would have been invented. I wonder why most skeptics always post on websites and not accepted science research webs.

So happy a lot of people are conscious of what's going on with the planet and for the thread to even reach page 8.

And lastly to that Ednut guy and his Uncle Donald, the dinosaurs are patiently waiting.

#climatechange
#parisagreement
#savetheplanet
#istillwantbananaislandcondo

ISOS-Future Ocean

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by shuni05: 1:35am On Jul 16, 2017
ogocology:

Nope. Its not like 'filling a bucket with water then dropping ice into it.
See, iceberg is already in the water now! Abi, did it broke off from space?
It has already displaced it weight in the water. Melting wouldn't be addition of water except, of course, of we consider the effect on glaciers which are not in the ocean already.
There is need to take global warming seriously but the exaggeration of facts by scientists can sometimes be a turn off and counterproductive.

I'll say you're wrong sir, like you said did the ice break from space? No but there's a whole continent called Antarctica normal continent oo just like Africa but has this huge ice covering it like 50-100ft tall, small small the ice dey slide into the ocean and it stores over 50% of the whole planets fresh water. Same as we have on Greenland too o.

Global warming too, as the water dey warm up, the molecules they expand and dey need more space so we get high SL

I appreciate the fact that you're taking climate change seriously.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 16, 2017
O di egwu
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ThierryJay: 3:00am On Jul 16, 2017
NickD:

Yh very true. QueenbeeQbQ I hail thee wehdone.
DrayZee:

Ok NickD . This is the main stuff right here. She got it exactly. The sea level WILL increase, but only in relation to the percentage of the ice cap that was/is above the water.
I thought of it, but I didn't really want to pursue the matter any further.

And madam...Wehdone.

The above is not true sirs and madam. The 10percent ice-berg portion above the water level will contract into the space occupied by the 90% underneath when the ice-berg melts, leading to zero change in the sea level since the ice berg is already in the sea. The basis is that when ice melts, it contracts into about 90% of the volume it initially occupied.

However, contrary to what most people have been saying here, the sea-level will RISE when a one-trillion tonne ice-cap breaks into the sea, as its one-trillion tonne weight will displace a similar amount of water upwards or sidewards. The rise in sea-level is not from melting but from its original displacement into the sea. Thus, any resultant increase in the water level from this break-away should be happening gradually now and not when the ice-berg melts.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 8:04am On Jul 16, 2017
ThierryJay:

The above is not true sirs and madam. The 10percent ice-berg portion above the water level will contract into the space occupied by the 90% underneath when the ice-berg melts, leading to zero change in the sea level since the ice berg is already in the sea. The basis is that when ice melts, it contracts into about 90% of the volume it initially occupied.

However, contrary to what most people have been saying here, the sea-level will RISE when a one-trillion tonne ice-cap breaks into the sea, as its one-trillion tonne weight will displace a similar amount of water upwards or sidewards. The rise in sea-level is not from melting but from its original displacement into the sea. Thus, any resultant increase in the water level from this break-away should be happening gradually now and not when the ice-berg melts.
No sir! The elevation of ice above water will add to the volume when it melts...the ice under water is what equates to the volume displaced and not those above.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by DrayZee: 10:20am On Jul 16, 2017
ThierryJay:

I get what you're saying in the first paragraph. It's basically the same thing we said, but like a more complete evaluation.

But in the second paragraph, I need to clarify some things:
Firstly, it's not the weight per se, that causes the displacement. It is the volume immersed in water that causes the displacement. So the only thing that should cause any increase in sea level, is the part of the ice above the water.

Now, here, you are correct in saying that ice contracts when turning to liquid water. But, due to the addition of any more liquid to the ocean, that will cause increase in sea level. This is the only thing that should cause any increase.

A break-away from a bigger ice sheet doesn't cause any change in sea level (except the break occurs from a part of the ice above the water, which is not the case in this aspect).

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by phoenix0100: 9:56am On Jul 17, 2017
You know there's a difference between volume and mass be? Ice is less dense.. But wen it melts... Prepare for more floods, tsunami and water related disasters... And seasons would definitely change... Soon we won't have Harmanttan again

obscitas:

You are wrong...The 5kg of ice have always been in the water...remove it...put it back...nothing changes...

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by webarse: 12:37pm On Jul 19, 2017
mecussey:

I do what I know best and am enjoying it. Offer me bank work of 500k per month, I no go work. I personally, know what an average igboman can do in the tech industry but school and Nigeria has deceived us a whole lot. If i become a the presido today, I will scrap the current education will call university. After, secondary school, you will be attached to a company and after 5yrs, you will be given bsc according to your productivity. Instead of enriching some few pple that calls themselves lecturers who comes to class to read textbooks written by someone who died decades ago.
I have been sending you mails just like you requested and you still have not been replying.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by simplibaba(m): 4:32pm On Aug 08, 2017
aanexplus:

From intermolecular physics, I'm not sure it might. Try something basic at home, fill a cup with water den drop ice cube into it. You will be surprised the cup won't overflow. I'm not sure if it's applicable here as conditions might vary but it's worth checking.

Anu if i am right?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Prettyenit18(f): 7:09am On Aug 09, 2017
You are so smart. grin
Chuksaluta:

The volume of ice reduces when it is in liquid form, so I expect the water level to drop... or am I missing something?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Mayowaflex(m): 10:23am On Aug 09, 2017
Global Warming is actually affecting us rapidly
i watched the video and i was amazed at how we keep underestimating global warming undecided undecided
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Mayowaflex(m): 10:26am On Aug 09, 2017
phoenix0100:
You know there's a difference between volume and mass be? Ice is less dense.. But wen it melts... Prepare for more floods, tsunami and water related disasters... And seasons would definitely change... Soon we won't have Harmanttan again

true that iceberg itself is the size of Delaware in the United States and its frightening because with time polar bears and penguins would go extinct faster than what we are preparing for
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Schoolguy9(m): 9:00am On Aug 11, 2017
Good A.M,
I am sure you guys are healthy.

Without much ado, I bring you this important information you really have to look into.
See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. It is quite detailed.
Please, don't fail to click it.
https://schoolpulse..co.ke/2017/08/see-top-10-reasons-why-you-shiuld-study.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos) / University Of Ibadan Ranks 978 In Top World Universities Ranking By Times Higher / Chochmah International School's Teachers' Quaters, Owned By Salvation Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.