Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,563 members, 7,975,213 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 07:17 PM

What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? (8505 Views)

The Skills To Having Sucessful Carrer In Nigeria Today {digital Marketing} / What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? / How To Become Sucessful.....by John_bright (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Umarlulu: 8:18am On Jul 21, 2017
Jaculze:
This is indeed a very good piece. Sometimes I wonder what will one do to be successful in Nigeria and the steps to be taken, are there any predefined steps one should take to be successful? I've finished service for almost a year now but I've been at home since doing nothing (I must not be at home for 5 years and above before my own case will be critical na), I've even submitted proposals and came up with good business ideas but "nothing come out", right now instead of just stayin idle and thinking my life away I chose to teach myself Web design and do some freelance social media marketing on the side.
Everything just de weak me I swear. God will definitely make a way for us.
so you get plenty business plans I love business plan like crazy abeg dash bro one.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 8:53am On Jul 21, 2017
I wrote an article about this 4 years ago.

http://www.jarushub.com/5-routes-to-rapid-career-rise/

Here is the summary, in my view:

1, Being good

2, Graduating early

3, Working close to key decision makers in the organization

4, Diligence and hardwork

5, Luck and opportunity

I expatiated in that article.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 21, 2017
Jaculze:
This is indeed a very good piece. Sometimes I wonder what will one do to be successful in Nigeria and the steps to be taken, are there any predefined steps one should take to be successful? I've finished service for almost a year now but I've been at home since doing nothing (I must not be at home for 5 years and above before my own case will be critical na), I've even submitted proposals and came up with good business ideas but "nothing come out", right now instead of just stayin idle and thinking my life away I chose to teach myself Web design and do some freelance social media marketing on the side.
what problem is your idea solving? You mind sharing?
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by luvlymabel: 9:22am On Jul 21, 2017
use what you have to get what u want
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by luvlymabel: 9:29am On Jul 21, 2017
use what you have to get what u want, hohaaa

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by tpapi: 9:30am On Jul 21, 2017
Gaybu:

Oil dey your head
pls is ur email active, av sent u a pm
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by BenZyncla(m): 10:24am On Jul 21, 2017
Are you interested? WE ARE ONLY LOOKING OUT FOR SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE WHO THE TRUE ENTREPRENERSHIP SPIRIT AND UNDERSTANDS TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR ONE'S SUCCESS IN LIFE ESPECIALLY IN THE REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY. No prerequisite training required ad we will train you free

At no cost we train and help you in the Real estate business. The opportunity is not for everyone but for only thise passionate about real estate and properties business.

Start with no capital, earn good commission in Millions of Naira consistently and monthly as you leverage on your contacts and network. Lucrative commission on every transaction when your referral or client buys the genuine properties this Real Estate System guarantees.

http://forbesproperties..co.uk/2017/02/advantages-of-buying-from-real-estate.html

If You Desire Financial Freedom Through Real Estate, Please WhatsApp +2348027390046
OR Drop your WhatsApp number and I'll contact you....
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 21, 2017
I wanted to dismiss this as a tribalistic statement but i realised that you are telling the truth.
So let me put sentiments aside for once and ask these questions as a yoruba woman to any igbo man.
Would any igbo man here in lagos o or back in the east take a yoruba man under his wing as an apprentice if he came to him and said he wanted to learn?
Also trade may not be the yoruba's strong suit but not everybody can trade if not the competition would be hostile like it is back in the east.
You also seem to forget that the igbos are not really accomodating people, they hardly share their expertise with anyone else unlike the yorubas who share their wealth of knowledge. Also don't forget that yorubas are usually pioneers in their fields before igbos come to dominate the market and i will give you two examples telecommunication and entertainment
miraclear:
This is indeed a very good piece : Well permit me to digress :

Everything that you are going to read now is a wake up call to the tribe called YORUBA in Nigeria by a yoruba man.written out of burning passion for correcting the abnormality in what is obvious.

We the yoruba's are one of the most privilege tribe of all - 40 years of western education,Lagos Sea Port to mention a few, please keep reading before you comment.

1 In the area of TRADING : Think of Lagos Sea Port as the major port for most imported goods into this country since we dont produce jack even toothpick who then should be the richest tribe before you contest google Amazon.Ebay , and Alibaba.com net worth

Let me give you on candid illustration.An average Igbo Man in Aria Market in Aba,Abia State will use this same Lagos sea port to import BOXER PANT MATERIAL takes it to Aba to produce then take it to Lagos to distribute to the whole Nigeria if not west africa.Do the Maths if 20
percent of 180milliom nigerian wear only ONE of this local Boxer throughout the year = 36million.Remember that no matter how poor you need minimum of 4 in year. That means that Ibo Man is making 144million naira simply IMPORTING , SOWING and DISTRIBUTING BOXER underwear using the Lagos Sea Port.

Lesson : Open to constructive dialogue, im yet to see a yoruba man into this,infact i have advice some tailors to do it to kill idleness, the reply i get is " That is not part of what I learn to sow ?

2 In the Artisan Cottage Industry : Since we all may not pass through school,there is no gain saying that the yoruba race are ahead when it comes to learning handwork. Good and fine.But we missed it when a teenager say a Boy learn - Barbing, Mechanic , Cobbling and the young girl Learn Hairdressing, Make up Artist for instance. After graduation, the "POOR BOY " or " GIRL'S PARENT " is expected to RAISE MONEY for graduation ceremony, RAISE money to Get a Shop, RAISE money to Equip the shop too.This boy now turn to a Bus Conductor or Agbero or Area boy, Social Miscreant and the girl turn to Hawk Bread or do other menial jobs to make ends meet simply because they could practice what they spend years to learn ? Too bad i ?hink .

Lesson : The Reverse is the case in IBO land we yoruba should learn from it. After a boy or a girl is done learning the Trade or handwork, the Boss Look for a location, Rent a Shop for the Poor Boy or Girl, Equip the Shop and handover for the Poor boy to become a Man and the poor Girl a Woman.There is dignity in Labour,in TIMAYA'S voice - Make my suffer no loss O, for a better tomorrow.

If you think that what I have write so far make sense click LIKE to encourage me write More if not click SHARE[b][/b]
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by 400billionman: 10:50am On Jul 21, 2017
deepwater:
Gods grace
That's all.
Nigeria has failed all formulas..

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by 400billionman: 10:56am On Jul 21, 2017
0b100100111:
1. Know people that count!

2. Know people that matters!

3. Know people that call the shots!

In summary, it's about "Connection". Who do you or your father knows.

#BittterTruth

Outside Nigeria, other things might work.

All of you mentioning connection, how does connection work ?

(( Do you expect the highly placed person to offer you something if he wont gain from you first.
))

How do you PRESENT VALUE to this highly placed person so that he will pick interest in you ?

Give him something he needs, VALUE, then he will give you what you need, MONEY.

The last question up there is how to make money ! Nobody doles out SYMPATHY...

This is my little contribution from how i started my business
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by donqx: 11:20am On Jul 21, 2017
hardwork
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Riosystem: 11:23am On Jul 21, 2017
Vision and Determination
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by mrwonlasewonie: 11:35am On Jul 21, 2017
Gaybu:

Oil dey your head
sheet dey your head
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by mrwonlasewonie: 11:37am On Jul 21, 2017
0b100100111:

Your right though! But not all the time!

Circumstances vary.....

which yeye circumstances. Do you know the number of people occupying top positions that don't don't deserve to be there if they followed merit?

Omo they licked ass joor
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by ed0001(m): 12:38pm On Jul 21, 2017
Interesting. A lot of good skills are needed to be successful in Nigeria. Learn a skill that you have passion for, a skill that deliver service to people; something that can fetch you money.

For any of this training:

Digital media marketing
Social media marketing
Email marketing
Business blog
web design and development
Mobile App
Web App Laravel
Phyton
Graphics
Motion Graphics
3D animation

Check my signature for contact details!

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 21, 2017
tpapi:
pls is ur email active, av sent u a pm
I did not see any pm
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 21, 2017
funmisticqueen:
I wanted to dismiss this as a tribalistic statement but i realised that you are telling the truth.
So let me put sentiments aside for once and ask these questions as a yoruba woman to any igbo man.
Would any igbo man here in lagos o or back in the east take a yoruba man under his wing as an apprentice if he came to him and said he wanted to learn?
Also trade may not be the yoruba's strong suit but not everybody can trade if not the competition would be hostile like it is back in the east.
You also seem to forget that the igbos are not really accomodating people, they hardly share their expertise with anyone else unlike the yorubas who share their wealth of knowledge. Also don't forget that yorubas are usually pioneers in their fields before igbos come to dominate the market and i will give you two examples telecommunication and entertainment
Go to Lagos Island and see Igbo's taking up Yoruba apprentice but they hardly stay to learn the trade, claiming maltreatment, tribal sentiment and verbal abuse.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by tpapi: 4:05pm On Jul 21, 2017
Gaybu:

I did not see any pm
ok, av resent it
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by TunnyOgunnowo(m): 11:48pm On Jul 21, 2017
Seriously it takes a lot to be have a successful career in Nigeria. Especially in these times of high competition, but for those who are employed or underemployed here are 4 things you do that can ruin your career.

See them at > 4 things you do that can ruin your career
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by tpapi: 10:04pm On Jul 22, 2017
Gaybu:

I did not see any pm
Watsap group.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 23, 2017
Buking1:
sad
Haha shebi them dey celebrate this FTC
Seun Oya pass me d award
Make money fall on me and all my friends and dose that will comment after me this year and long life.
Make banana fall on all my females friends and NL families
Anyway all what it takes is just to start on anything..
Inasmuch you can dream it you can do it because every thought have a cause..
And that cause has a way to attract what will drive the dream to reality
Futher more vent into something

Incase you are bord I have a goodnews for you...
Here is a place to enjoy fastest connection with pretty and handsome guys,you can create public room and be a moderator

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sabichat.app

All these celebration just for FTC? and you didn't even care to share your largese with me that made it possible?
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 23, 2017
deepwater:
Gods grace

Clearly, we should constantly plead God's grace, but I meant what we as humans should do, human efforts is what I meant, because it's in our efforts that we ask for Grace to prosper.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 23, 2017
Jaculze:

Sharp, where's your location?
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 23, 2017
Ojisik:
1. Hard work and skill.

2. Emotional Intelligence

3. Ass kissing (not literally, I mean being extra humble with people you need favors from)

4. Corporate politics because man is by nature a political animal.

5. Divine Favor (This is the most important)

6. Personal (etiquette, presentation skills etc) and Professional development.

This is not an exhaustive list though, I'm here to learn as well.

Interesting outline, but you know those terms are relatively broad and can easily mean different things to different people and in different circumstances, all the same good ones.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Ojisik(m): 1:54pm On Jul 23, 2017
SnowJay92:

Interesting outline, but you know those terms are relatively broad and can easily mean different things to different people and in different circumstances, all the same good ones.

True. I agree with you. As humans, one thing common in all of us is that our intuition tells us when we're overdoing something.

I believe that with wisdom from God and experience that comes with time, we will learn how to interpret the above as applicable to us.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Jaculze(m): 8:34am On Jul 24, 2017
SnowJay92:

Sharp, where's your location?
Lagos
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Jaculze(m): 8:35am On Jul 24, 2017
Umarlulu:
so you get plenty business plans I love business plan like crazy abeg dash bro one.
Hahahahaha. . Bring money and I go bring one idea
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Jaculze(m): 8:36am On Jul 24, 2017
majekdom2:
what problem is your idea solving? You mind sharing?
hmmm.... I wouldn't mind o as far as funding is involved.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 24, 2017
Do you want to learn a skill?
Are you tired of being jobless?
Here is an opportunity for you to be entrepreneur
Tailoring
Electrical
Refrigerator
Ac technician
Mechanic
Graphic design
Automobile
Compute repair
Software development
Join us the globly accredited institute @
3a, Ikorodu road, Jibowu b/stop, Yaba
Vacancies for Sales executive, Front Desk and PRO
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Umarlulu: 12:09pm On Jul 24, 2017
Jaculze:
Hahahahaha. . Bring money and I go bring one idea
see me see wahala so e be so this life spoil reach u no go help bro unless with money?what If I become future dangote?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Is Equivalent To Success, Hard Work, Smartwork, Luck? / FUTA SPGS Admission For 2016/2017 / Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.