Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,443 members, 7,884,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 07:23 PM

Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder (40399 Views)

PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna / Meet Chiamaka Deborah Motilewa, 25-Year-Old Covenant University PhD Holder / Motilewa Bolanle Becomes Covenant University's Youngest Phd Holder Ever Produced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by bmoyebi(m): 8:32am On Jul 21, 2017
[quote author=36govs post=58657505]Ex Lagos Bus Conductor Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder

Olu wrote this inspiring story on his wall;

20 years ago, the only thing I had was a dream. Though I had beautiful dreams, the physical resources to meet my heart desires were beyond my reach. I was homeless, worked as a motor boy or bus conductor (Nigerians will understand this)…. Despite all these challenges, I dedicated at least 2 hours each day to develop myself. I was told several times to quit trying. I was told to stop dreaming….

To keep the story short, in 2006 I had my first degree and I graduated top in my class. In 2010, an MSc; in 2011, an MPhil from the University of Cambridge; in 2016, a PhD in Criminology and Criminal Justice from Griffith University Australia.

See Video By Shara Reporters below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derfqy3OPwc

Source : http://www.viviangist.net/lagos-bus-conductor-dr-mike-olu-akinlabi-now-a-phd-holder-pictures-in-australia
congratulations sir
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by Barselonia(m): 8:33am On Jul 21, 2017
dlondonbadboy:
He escaped from the zoo...Nigeria is a dream killer!!
And d zoo is ur home
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by shadeyinka(m): 8:34am On Jul 21, 2017
jhydebaba:
Great, inspiring.

You failed to tell us how u got the money to finance ur education, is it the money u saved from being a conductor

On a second thought, of he did both his B.Sc and M.Sc in Nigeria, it is possible( the rest could be by scholarship). Unfortunately, he didn't tell us.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by Bimpe29: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2017
Never say never. No Struggle No Success. What one's dream is, let there be a realistic efforts to actualize it.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by ambgiano(m): 8:41am On Jul 21, 2017
You graduated "top class" in 2010 did your Masters in 2011 and went further to do an m.phil? come on bro, how come you could not get the 60 average after Masters hence the m.phil if really you graduated "top class" like you want us to believe? I know Fanatics would say im hating but im just being observant. CONGRATS ATS.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by CaeserVelli: 9:04am On Jul 21, 2017
dlondonbadboy:

We would soon destroy the zoo...and all you lovers of the zoo shall perish with the zoo..

Typical Biafran, always wishing death and ill will upon their "enemies". I'm sure you won't be the last of your kind with this special prayer today.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by enomakos(m): 9:10am On Jul 21, 2017
hardworking pay
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by judedwriter(m): 9:27am On Jul 21, 2017
dlondonbadboy:
Destiny killer you mean...
that's why u need God 2 survive in Nigeria.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by salesforce: 9:28am On Jul 21, 2017
Rea
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 21, 2017
I can do it.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by thunderbabs: 9:32am On Jul 21, 2017
Dear Lord, get me out of this county, Nigeria and take me to a Country, USA, Germany. Amen!

Nigeria herself is one of d village pple haunting promising youths of our generation buh I'm free from Nigeria's bondage. Amen!
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by toocoded: 9:32am On Jul 21, 2017
innosaint27:
grin shocked grin

but half baked story.

Op, learn to ice your cake well before serving it!
What is this one saying?
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by cricifixo: 9:51am On Jul 21, 2017
When you stay focused on a particular course, the sky can only be ur stepping stone. Mine is a similar story, I never stopped believing
tinkinjow:
Good...will be better if we know how he went through to the top.
How did he fund it??
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by NemzySeries(m): 10:17am On Jul 21, 2017
jhydebaba:
Great, inspiring.

You failed to tell us how u got the money to finance ur education, is it the money u saved from being a conductor
he did his 1st degree in ui tru support frm small small jobs & family fwends & den got scholarship to do hiz msc & phd bkos hiz gud bsc results..... he lectured me in abuad while he came for sum stuff based on aggreement wit d sch
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by mecigr8s: 10:20am On Jul 21, 2017
jhydebaba:
Great, inspiring.

If you watched the video( time of 3:26-3:40), it was said that he made some savings from his menial job and he was also supported by his step sister and her husband to fund her undergraduate studies.You will agree with me that is much easier to fund post graduate studies in Nigeria than undergraduate studies.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by ademijuwonlo(f): 10:22am On Jul 21, 2017
It is inspiring !
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by mecigr8s: 10:33am On Jul 21, 2017
victorioushands:

To keep the story short, really?
That place you kept short was the main story, every other thing you said was self glorification. There's no way a bus conductor will have the money and the time to go through university unless he stole a passenger's money and then stopped from conductor's work and followed his dream. You cannot do both. Just tell us one thing good happened yo you and you had the money. Or just keep your story to yourself. Many people started small but don't deceive with your story.

Thanks got hiding the truth. It will still come out some day

If you had watched the video( time of 3:26-3:40), you, probably, would not have made the statement above. He made some savings from his menial jobs and also got support from his step sister and her husband. These combined, provided sources of fund for his undergraduate studies.The cost of doing a Master's in Nigeria is cheaper than that of a B.Sc. After completing his B.Sc ,he may get a scholarship(even from organization(s) in Nigeria here) for his Master's or decide to work and fund the Master's programme himself
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by Rebuke: 10:38am On Jul 21, 2017
dlondonbadboy:

Yhu nailed it! I keep telling people to stop deceiving demselves saying it's easier making it here in naija dan anywhr. The truth remains dat traveling out gives yhu d chance of achieving yhur dream faster dan here bcus of d enabling environment.

Jxt makesure yhu have a dream (goal). Go out there legally n see how it works great.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by sshalom(m): 10:53am On Jul 21, 2017
Quite inspiring.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by centboy123456(m): 11:16am On Jul 21, 2017
Seylad2009:
I thank God I came across this thread. I need this motivation at this moment.

y do u need it wat happening tell me
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by mecigr8s: 11:16am On Jul 21, 2017
ambgiano:
You graduated "top class" in 2010 did your Masters in 2011 and went further to do an m.phil? come on bro, how come you could not get the 60 average after Masters hence the m.phil if really you graduated "top class" like you want us to believe? I know Fanatics would say im hating but im just being observant. CONGRATS ATS.

No, you are not hating; just that you, probably did not get the information being passed across correctly. He had his first degree in year 2006, did his Master's in year 2010.The M.Phil he went for still does not put his academic prowess into doubt;you can check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Philosophy and scroll down.You will see this : "Cambridge University offers the M.Phil. as a one-year master's degree program.[19] This is to distinguish it from the Cambridge M.A. degree, to which B.A. graduates usually proceed after a certain period of time without any further study (a procedure which has been followed at the universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin since the seventeenth century). The Cambridge M.Phil. can be either a taught degree or a research-based degree, depending on the course." Now, an M.Phil makes one to be more grounded in research work if one desires to transit to full PhD;it does not necessarily mean the inability of a person to measure up with the required M.Sc criteria to directly transit to PhD programme.

1 Like

Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by Kennybix(m): 11:16am On Jul 21, 2017
ambgiano:

I'm no fanatic but I surely know you are 'not aware' of the the way these things work. When you are looking for a scholarship, you just have to keep your options open. Some come with specifics. It might be listed the funding is for a particular programme, a particular degree or something else.
Secondly, it will sure be easier to get a funded PhD with a masters from Cambridge than one from Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by Ugosample(m): 11:30am On Jul 21, 2017
ambgiano:

He did one master's in Ng while another abroad, so it is very possible

1 Like

Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by enigmaticlion: 11:46am On Jul 21, 2017
Na you go first perish
dlondonbadboy:

We would soon destroy the zoo...and all you lovers of the zoo shall perish with the zoo..
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by enigmaticlion: 11:50am On Jul 21, 2017
All these mentally deranged sick ipob miscreants trying to find cheap relevance in life always flood Nairaland with their animalistic stench
nextprince:

Did you watch the video or no data? Very sure of the latter.

First degree (very good grade) - UI, in the "zoo".
Second degree, school not stated but very sure same school, in same "zoo".
Scholarship for another degree, Cambridge, UK.
Completed PhD programme last year in Austria, lectures in same country.
The "zoo" was his spring board.

Also, his movement to other countries weren't for crimes like drug with which Table Tops allways justify their escape from the "zoo". He gradually worked/walked his way through the ups and downs, never wanted to be a billionaire within hours.

Pls, do and escape from the "zoo" fast and remain outside the "zoo" in all ramifications.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by nextprince: 11:52am On Jul 21, 2017
enigmaticlion:
All these mentally deranged sick ipob miscreants trying to find cheap relevance in life always flood Nairaland with their animalistic stench

I'm not a ipob. Infact, I'm not ibo.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 21, 2017
Happy to know he got his ph.d at the same university I am currently running my masters programme in.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by ambgiano(m): 2:07pm On Jul 21, 2017
mecigr8s:

No, you are not hating; just that you, probably did not get the information being passed across correctly. He had his first degree in year 2006, did his Master's in year 2010.The M.Phil he went for still does not put his academic prowess into doubt;you can check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Philosophy and scroll down.You will see this : "Cambridge University offers the M.Phil. as a one-year master's degree program.[19] This is to distinguish it from the Cambridge M.A. degree, to which B.A. graduates usually proceed after a certain period of time without any further study (a procedure which has been followed at the universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin since the seventeenth century). The Cambridge M.Phil. can be either a taught degree or a research-based degree, depending on the course." Now, an M.Phil makes one to be more grounded in research work if one desires to transit to full PhD;it does not necessarily mean the inability of a person to measure up with the required M.Sc criteria to directly transit to PhD programme.
Nice one bro. These are the type of intellectual discourses that makes me tick. well explained, precise concise and comprehensive. thumbs up.
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by OriflameNIG: 5:43pm On Jul 21, 2017
cbrass:

There is nothing to click nw
click on the area where the spider is moving
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by cbrass(m): 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2017
OriflameNIG:
click on the area where the spider is moving
l

grin
Re: Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder by decatalyst(m): 7:02pm On Jul 21, 2017
NGELEBUBE:

what a STUPID question probably from a most stupid fellow!

I will just let this pass...I guess you should what you are by now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) / David Adeyemi Is First African World Student Organisation Appointee / ASUU: FG Directs New Unions To Commence Teaching Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.