Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,883 members, 7,872,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:54 AM

IGP Pushes For Death Penalty For Kidnappers - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / IGP Pushes For Death Penalty For Kidnappers (304 Views)

Ghanaian Prostitute Pushes Client To Death From Hotel Window (Video) / Ibrahim Idris Pushes For Death Penalty For Kidnappers / School Teacher Arrested While 'negotiating' For Kidnappers In Kogi State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1)

IGP Pushes For Death Penalty For Kidnappers by naijanewspaper(m): 5:54am On Jul 27, 2017
The Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, is pushing for stricter laws on kidnapping.

While meeting with Commissioners of Police and other senior officers of the Force in Abuja yesterday, the IGP urged the National Assembly to enact stricter laws. He stated that the evil act is thriving because there are no laws in place to tackle it.

He said: "When I went to the National Assembly, I told them that what we need to challenge kidnapping is punishment. I think these boys see us parade people but they don’t see them taken to court or sentenced to death. In some states where kidnapping leads to death of somebody, the penalty is death but they only see the court sentencing such persons to 10 years or life imprisonment.

"I feel that is why they feel more relaxed and I told the National Assembly that we need to have more stringent punishment for kidnappers. I think that is the only way to check the menace because they see it as child’s play. If you go all over the Command across the states, you would discover that some of these youths are getting more involved in kidnapping. Like I told the National Assembly, I believe if we can get laws to check it, we are going to see several changes. In Niger Republic, a Boko Haram suspect was arrested and within one week, judgement was passed. That sent a very strong message that whoever that is planning to go into it should desist but here, we have suspects year in, year out, appearing in in court and matter continually adjourned."

He continued: "It does not serve as deterrent to them and even most of them kept in police cells are more comfortable there. So, I think to address the level of kidnapping in the country, a law should be passed.”

http://thenigerian.news/news/igp-pushes-death-penalty-kidnappers/

lalasticlala
Re: IGP Pushes For Death Penalty For Kidnappers by nextprince: 6:05am On Jul 27, 2017
So what has been the penalty all along?

I hope you clowns are not trying to twist Evan's case to get him freed back into the "zoo".
Re: IGP Pushes For Death Penalty For Kidnappers by Mynd44: 6:17am On Jul 27, 2017

(1)

Butcher To Spend 30 Days In Prison For Stealing Goat / Boko Haram Releases Photo Of UNIMAID Staff / Soldier Stabbed Motorcyclist To Death, For Shunning Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.