Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,231 members, 7,897,218 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 10:25 AM

Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development (2505 Views)

Which One Sells In Nigeria: Java For Web Application Or Java For Android / Android + Java For Absolute Beginners -Video Tutorial [N500] / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 29, 2017
Guys, this new kotlin development has been giving some of us serious concerns.

Yes, before you ask me, I can write kotlin at a beginners level. No, I will not use it yet for an android app (or any project).

I know it is a great development and all that, and it really rocks.

Okay, here is why - I code in many languages on demand, let us look at a scenario:

My life span in XCODE / IOS development is 3 years, and I will explain:
- 2014: I bought a MAC and started learning objective-c which was the main thing for writing IOS then, it was even the default language for XCODE.

- 2015: I had a project to do, and saw that the default was now swift, so I learn swift (cant remember version), and was happy. After that, no IOS till now

2017: I was ready for another IOS project, lo and behold the swift I knew was outdated, it is now swift 3, so I upgraded myself a bit painfully (because all the EBA I have chopped have made my head heavy), and finally kick-started the project,

BUT NO WAY, the team I was working with only knew OBJECTIVE-C which I have left since 2014, So I had to relearn it again for the project (and now I have not touched swift since o).

Now I cannot even beat my chest and say I can write swift again, I have been reduced back to a swift NOOB, I cannot even write hello world without looking at book in swift again (Or even CODE and outlet right-of-my-head).

Now, dont forget - I am a cross-platform developer, my next project might be C# or PHP, you never can tell.

With all this drama now, Android now introduced KOTLIN again? On top of all the wahala wey man dey face?

Some people are stills scared of OOP PHP, some are afraid of PHP 7.

All these wahala too dey tire person, I think I will soon drop title as professional and downgrade myself back to NOOB.

So what are the views of you guys on all these matters with special emphasis on Kotlin / JAVA?

2 Likes

Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by badthinds: 8:46am On Jul 29, 2017
Well, sometimes I think its for the betterment of their services (eg. IOS apps, Android Apps etc) and other times, I feel its political.

Anyway, sometimes I feel lazy to gulp another language...but I get excited if it becomes compulsory...any android developer, right now should begin to gulp KOTLIN at all cost.

The good is that, I increase my vocabulary!!!

dhtml18, have you thought of dropping a KOTLIN for android tutorial here? e go make sense na. grin

2 Likes

Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 29, 2017
KOTLIN for android tutorial eh? I think a migration from java/android to kotlin/android will be better. I will keep this in mind, right now a lot of coding is going down here, enough to drown a fish!

1 Like

Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by logicalhumour: 4:04pm On Jul 29, 2017
dhtml18:
KOTLIN for android tutorial eh? I think a migration from java/android to kotlin/android will be better. I will keep this in mind, right now a lot of coding is going down here, enough to drown a fish!

Lol.

But for the migration tutorial, I havnt seen any on nairaland...it would make sense.
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by TeejayMaya(m): 7:50pm On Jul 29, 2017
You are not alone bro, same here... But we just have to keep trying to meet up and always catch up with the latest thread.

dhtml18:
Guys, this new kotlin development has been giving some of us serious concerns.

Yes, before you ask me, I can write kotlin at a beginners level. No, I will not use it yet for an android app (or any project).

I know it is a great development and all that, and it really rocks.

Okay, here is why - I code in many languages on demand, let us look at a scenario:

My life span in XCODE / IOS development is 3 years, and I will explain:
- 2014: I bought a MAC and started learning objective-c which was the main thing for writing IOS then, it was even the default language for XCODE.

- 2015: I had a project to do, and saw that the default was now swift, so I learn swift (cant remember version), and was happy. After that, no IOS till now

2017: I was ready for another IOS project, lo and behold the swift I knew was outdated, it is now swift 3, so I upgraded myself a bit painfully (because all the EBA I have chopped have made my head heavy), and finally kick-started the project,

BUT NO WAY, the team I was working with only knew OBJECTIVE-C which I have left since 2014, So I had to relearn it again for the project (and now I have not touched swift since o).

Now I cannot even beat my chest and say I can write swift again, I have been reduced back to a swift NOOB, I cannot even write hello world without looking at book in swift again (Or even CODE and outlet right-of-my-head).

Now, dont forget - I am a cross-platform developer, my next project might be C# or PHP, you never can tell.

With all this drama now, Android now introduced KOTLIN again? On top of all the wahala wey man dey face?

Some people are stills scared of OOP PHP, some are afraid of PHP 7.

All these wahala too dey tire person, I think I will soon drop title as professional and downgrade myself back to NOOB.

So what are the views of you guys on all these matters with special emphasis on Kotlin / JAVA?
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 29, 2017
The thing no easy at all, it is battle to the end!
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Olyboy16(m): 8:54pm On Jul 29, 2017
already adding tornadofx to my java portfolio, the android part will come in naturally.
i think its important for people trying to migrate to take some fun time with kotlin, play around a bit develop some small cmd apps then the android transition comes in naturally. its a new language remember? and damn its a really good java relief.
technically though, its still java under the hood, except for a few optimizations. e.g lambdas in kotlin generated byte code are compiled not preprocessed as before; also in kotlin, instead of the java way of active object evaluation, which usally causes the famous nullpointer exceptions, kotlin does lazy evaluation with the help of its nice syntax; this not only eliminates chances of a 3500 threads server breaking due to object evaluation in threads issues, it also makes kotlin bytecode way faster!

even beyond android, kotlin is amazing...
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 12:12am On Jul 30, 2017
Olyboy16:
already adding tornadofx to my java portfolio, the android part will come in naturally.
i think its important for people trying to migrate to take some fun time with kotlin, play around a bit develop some small cmd apps then the android transition comes in naturally. its a new language remember? and damn its a really good java relief.
technically though, its still java under the hood, except for a few optimizations. e.g lambdas in kotlin generated byte code are compiled not preprocessed as before; also in kotlin, instead of the java way of active object evaluation, which usally causes the famous nullpointer exceptions, kotlin does lazy evaluation with the help of its nice syntax; this not only eliminates chances of a 3500 threads server breaking due to object evaluation in threads issues, it also makes kotlin bytecode way faster!

even beyond android, kotlin is amazing...
Please me ooooh
I know basic of Java and i just started learning Android App.
Now people are talking about Kotlin for Android.
Should i stop the Android tutorial and go learn Kotlin?
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 12:14am On Jul 30, 2017
badthinds:
Well, sometimes I think its for the betterment of their services (eg. IOS apps, Android Apps etc) and other times, I feel its political.

Anyway, sometimes I feel lazy to gulp another language...but I get excited if it becomes compulsory...any android developer, right now should begin to gulp KOTLIN at all cost.

The good is that, I increase my vocabulary!!!

dhtml18, have you thought of dropping a KOTLIN for android tutorial here? e go make sense na. grin
Which one is Kotlin again ?
I just finished Java and just started learning Android development
Kotlin again ?
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 30, 2017
Guys, I tire for the android folks o, na kotlin now o!!
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Olyboy16(m): 8:02am On Jul 30, 2017
seunny4lif:

Please me ooooh
Yes! but only if your primary reason for learning java is to make android apps.
else, you should learn both if you need java for other uses.
Another reason to learn kotlin is that its JS transpilation will make it ideal for a cross platform language; so its only a matter of time for it to compete with xamarin considering the massive support its getting; and the power of the jetbrains platform.
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 8:12am On Jul 30, 2017
Olyboy16:

Yes! but only if your primary reason for learning java is to make android apps.
else, you should learn both if you need java for other uses.
Another reason to learn kotlin is that its JS transpilation will make it ideal for a cross platform language; so its only a matter of time for it to compete with xamarin considering the massive support its getting; and the power of the jetbrains platform.
I started the tutorial on Kotlin just 3 hours ago
And it's more cool than Java but it look like python a little bit and also Java on the other side.
It's a mixed of Java and Python grin
I like to work as an Android and Java developer but I want Android first
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 8:12am On Jul 30, 2017
grin grin grin
It's official now
dhtml18:
Guys, I tire for the android folks o, na kotlin now o!!
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by talk2hb1(m): 8:58am On Jul 30, 2017
seunny4lif:

Please me ooooh
If this is your first programming language, continue learning java. You can use your java skill for web application programming and other stuffs, then learn Kotlin later, programming language skills are easily transfarrable.
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 9:06am On Jul 30, 2017
talk2hb1:

If this is your first programming language, continue learning java. You can use your java skill for web application programming and other stuffs, then learn Kotlin later, programming language skills are easily transfarrable.
Thanks
I know basic of Java at least till multithread I think.
I find the Kotlin much easier grin
I will like to go for Mobile Application
I have be Watching the tutorial video of Kotlin and i find it cool
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Olyboy16(m): 11:45am On Jul 30, 2017
seunny4lif:

I started the tutorial on Kotlin just 3 hours ago
And it's more cool than Java but it look like python a little bit and also Java on the other side.
It's a mixed of Java and Python grin
I like to work as an Android and Java developer but I want Android first
cool, thats some real geek spirit you've got. you'll get used to the syntax bro; safe journey!
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 11:59am On Jul 30, 2017
Olyboy16:

cool, thats some real geek spirit you've got. you'll get used to the syntax bro; safe journey!
Thanks
I'm enjoying it
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
Everyone that has tried KOTLIN will come to that conclusion within a short time that it is cooler and easier than JAVA.

3 Likes

Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 30, 2017
Going for Kotlin ASAP cool... I've been with python for a while nd JS .. But have got serious interest in Android apps dev. So I guess this will be a very good one sir @ dhtml baba .. tutorials/ recommended tutorials link from your highness sir
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2017
dhtml18:
Everyone that has tried KOTLIN will come to that conclusion within a short time that it is cooler and easier than JAVA.
I dey one of them
Kotlin needs no {}
hello world in Java is 7 lines shocked shocked shocked shocked
Kotlin is just 3 lines grin grin grin grin

and since i can import from Java then no problem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2017
kayoph:
Going for Kotlin ASAP cool... I've been with python for a while nd JS .. But have got serious interest in Android apps dev. So I guess this will be a very good one sir @ dhtml baba .. tutorials/ recommended tutorials link from your highness sir

Just type Kotlin of Youtube but i find this guy tutorial good
No null pointer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Org0vh-VSgA&list=PLsyeobzWxl7rooJFZhc3qPLwVROovGCfh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by SHOPPERS(m): 5:32pm On Aug 05, 2017
Guys, pls I am a complete newbie, what will you advise I start with for android development pls??
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 11:44am On Aug 06, 2017
yes of course, you can kickstart android dev immediately.
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by seunny4lif(m): 3:31pm On Aug 06, 2017
SHOPPERS:
Guys, pls I am a complete newbie, what will you advise I start with for android development pls??
Start with Java for Android development
Kotlin is good but not some many tutorial on YouTube
Re: Kotlin / JAVA For Android Development by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2017
Yes, even me sef, na JAVa i still dey use.

(1) (Reply)

Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free / CBT Software For Secondary Schools / How To Program Arduino Uno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.