Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,894 members, 7,931,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 04:26 PM

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation (930 Views)

Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Full Speech: Buhari Addresses The 70th UN Assembly (Photos) / President Jonathan Addresses The Nation - 14th May 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 9:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
What do we expect from this message?
How will Jonathan act effectively as the President?
Run your commentaries.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by edoyad(m): 9:50pm On Feb 09, 2010
"Fellow Nigerians, i'm sorry i cannot accept the position of Acting president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. As a result, Michael Aondoakaa will be acting in that capacity pending the return of Musa or Turai, thank you"
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 9:55pm On Feb 09, 2010
I propose that tomorrow at the first FEC meeting to be chaired by Acting President Jonathan, Aondoaaka will chicken out and apologise to Dora.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 10:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
Acting President Jonathan Ebele Goodluck, GCON.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by kawazaki(m): 10:07pm On Feb 09, 2010
Is democracy taking roots in Nigeria ?

Anambra Elections + Goodluck take over { without bloodshed}
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 10:10pm On Feb 09, 2010
Short and concise.
He said he would tackle power, infrastructure and security problems.
I hope he can make a difference.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by vigasimple(m): 10:12pm On Feb 09, 2010
Walert:

I propose that tomorrow at the first FEC meeting to be chaired by Acting President Jonathan, Aondoaaka will chicken out and apologise to Dora.

You are assuming AGF idonkia is that smart to soft pedal, i don't think so. He is just waiting to be sacked so that he can go and enjoy his ill gotten gains quite from politics.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 10:15pm On Feb 09, 2010
He talked about the post-amnesty programme which I sincerely believe should be a remarkable option for him to excel.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by rebranded(m): 10:25pm On Feb 09, 2010
edoyad:

"Fellow Nigerians, i'm sorry i cannot accept the position of Acting president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. As a result, Michael Aondoakaa will be acting in that capacity pending the return of Musa or Turai, thank you"

Abeg no start with Jonathan oh, u don do for obasanjo, yardua, lets all support Jonathan for a better Nigeria
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by rebranded(m): 10:27pm On Feb 09, 2010
Walert:

Short and concise.
He said he would tackle power, infrastructure and security problems.
I hope he can make a difference.

Those are good, he must be after bringing investors to Nigeria,
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 09, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan, has all along played out the drama of a pateince dog, who has been adorned with the fattest and most sumptous bone- Nigerian number one citizen. All hail his excellency!!!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 10:40pm On Feb 09, 2010
Some lawyers are saying FEC should have sent a memo to the National Assembly which will now set up a medical examination committee that will submit a report that Yar is unfit to rule Nigeria b4 what we witnessed today would now come to fruition.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by EzeUche(m): 10:43pm On Feb 09, 2010
It is not over yet, the northern cabals will not be too happy about this.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 7:53am On Feb 10, 2010
Maybe the South-South will use this opportunity to prove thatlso they have the ability to govern Nigeria very well.
Also, prove dat it is not all about resource control but the administration of a large entity called Nigeria.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 8:08am On Feb 10, 2010
Acting President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday accepted his temporary elevation, assuring Nigerians that he will not betray their trust.

He noted that it is now time for all to move on in a more determined manner to tackle the challenges which we face as a nation.

While noting that the march towards Vision 20-2020 is irreversible, the acting president also spoke on the critical that must be tackled for the nation to realise its dreams.

The areas he wants attention on include power, infrastructure, security, employment and business.

The acting president who also assured that every step necessary shall be taken to consolidate on the gains of Amnesty in the Niger Delta and execute the post-Amnesty programme, also urged Nigerians to be patient, as there can be no meaningful development without peace and security.

By Vincent Ikuomola Published Today
http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/35772/1/I-wont-betray-your-trust-Jonathan-tells-Nigerians/Page1.html
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 8:24am On Feb 10, 2010
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=166165

These Are Unusual Circumstances’

Full text of last night’s address by Acting President Goodluck Jonathan

Fellow Nigerians,
As we all know, our dear President, His Excellency, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, has been receiving treatment in Saudi Arabia for some time now. Naturally, his absence from the country has generated considerable interest and a heated national debate.

Today, the National Assembly passed a resolution mandating me to act as President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. In following the extant provisions of the 1999 constitution to arrive at this decision, the leadership and members of the National Assembly have shown great courage, statesmanship and patriotism. I salute them all.

In the same vein, I will like to commend all the other political actors and national leaders, particularly the former Heads of State, Elder Statesmen, Governors of the 36 States and other leaders of political groups, civil society organizations, the media, and indeed all Nigerians, for their invaluable contributions and counsel. Our security services also deserve our special commendation for their loyalty and devotion to duty during this trying period.

The circumstances in which I find myself assuming office today as Acting President of our country are uncommon, sober and reflective. More than ever therefore, I urge all Nigerians as a people of faith in God, to pray fervently for the full recovery of our dear President and his early return.

The events of the recent past have put to the test, our collective resolve as a democratic nation. I am delighted to note that our nation has demonstrated resilience and unity of purpose. Today affords us time to reconnect with ourselves and overcome any suspicions, hurts and doubts, which had occurred.

In all these, there are no winners and no losers, because by the Grace of God we have once again succeeded in moving our country forward. We have all shown that our unity as a people, our love for this country, and our hope for its great future cannot be shaken.

It is now time for us to move on in a more determined manner to tackle the various challenges which we face as a nation. Our march towards Vision 20-2020 is irreversible.

Therefore, we see a need to prioritise on a few of the most critical areas which continue to plague our effort at engendering meaningful economic growth and development. Some of these critical sectors include power, infrastructure, security, generation of employment and business opportunities for our teeming young men and women.

Fellow Nigerians, the Federal Government will take every step necessary to consolidate the gains of Amnesty in the Niger Delta and execute the post-Amnesty programme. I therefore appeal to all concerned to be patient, as there can be no meaningful development without peace and security.

As regards the Jos crisis, government will endeavour to sustain the peace and find a lasting solution to the recurring crisis in Plateau State . In the meantime, culprits of the heinous crimes committed in the recent incident will face the full weight of the law. I want to restate that government will not tolerate the culture of impunity that is fast becoming an unwelcome part of our socio-political life.

Our commitment to ensuring the security of lives and property in all parts of the country will also be pursued with renewed zeal. The Nigeria Police and other security services would be given new impetus to perform their duties, even while respecting the human rights of Nigerians.

They are fully expected to produce corresponding results. There shall be no excuses for failure. Nigerians deserve to be fully protected at all times nationwide.

Fellow Nigerians, one of the cardinal commitments of this administration is our commitment to Good Governance, Accountability and Transparency.

We shall continue to pursue these policy objectives with all the seriousness they deserve. In particular, the war against corruption will be prosecuted more robustly. We will therefore strengthen the capacity of the anti-corruption agencies and give them a free hand to prosecute the anti corruption war.

Let me once again commend the people of Anambra State , for the successful conduct of the recent gubernatorial election. This has shown that Nigerians can conduct free, fair and credible elections.

The Anambra Election has however exposed some weaknesses in our electoral system, and government is determined to plug these loop holes as we approach the next General Elections in 2011. I want to reassure all Nigerians and our friends around the world, that our determination to ensure that the sanctity of the electoral rights of our people shall not be compromised.

Let me on behalf of the Nigerian people appreciate the international community for their goodwill and understanding in our efforts at national development and consolidation of our democracy. Nigeria will continue to play a deserving role in regional and global affairs.

On a personal note, I am deeply humbled and honoured by this great call to duty. I am fully aware of the responsibilities reposed in me, and I want to reassure all Nigerians that this is a sacred trust, which I shall discharge to my fullest abilities.
Thank you and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by ishmael(m): 8:40am On Feb 10, 2010
The first thing he should do for me is to remove the FCT minister and put a new person from the south-south or south-east there. Have you ever asked yourself why is FCT ministry always headed by a fulani? is it part of their caliphate? Must the minister always come from the north? After they will say one nigeria!!.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Shoot2Kill: 8:41am On Feb 10, 2010
Fellow Mumus ,thank you for supporting me.I am now the acting thief and commander in thief of the stealing forces.I am sure I will disappoint you mugus and embezzle as many billions as I can before my tenureship is over. And if my name is anything to go by I will get a second term and steal some more.Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by olafolarin(m): 8:49am On Feb 10, 2010
I hope he will do-away with the Yar'Adua cabals.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by nethacker(m): 9:24am On Feb 10, 2010
I just want him to do away with Aondo-bastard as AGF, he shouild be replaced immediately angry angry
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by sammyzacks(m): 10:25am On Feb 10, 2010
That was an excellent speech. Comparable to Obama speeches. just check out these:

"The circumstances in which I find myself assuming office today as Acting President of our country are uncommon, sober and reflective. More than ever therefore, I urge all Nigerians as a people of faith in God, to pray fervently for the full recovery of our dear President and his early return."

"Therefore, we see a need to prioritise on a few of the most critical areas which continue to plague our effort at engendering meaningful economic growth and development. Some of these critical sectors include power, infrastructure, security, generation of employment and business opportunities for our teeming young men and women."
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 1:20pm On Feb 10, 2010
He will make some reforms I believe.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Addresses The Nation by Walert(m): 1:27pm On Feb 10, 2010
Fellow Nigerians, I will wipe away your tears and make Nigeria a Utopia.

(1) (Reply)

The Man Behind The Nigeria Yaradua Crisis / Army Pledges Loyalty To Jonathan. . . Again? / Obama Demands Information On Yar’adua’s Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.