Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,609 members, 7,944,810 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 04:54 AM

Hello - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hello (1449 Views)

Hello Authentic People(car Gurus) / Hello Nairalander Kindly Recommend Carshopper To Me Can I Deal With Him / Hello Car Gurus. Check In Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hello by AmandaLuv(f): 9:04pm On Aug 01, 2017
plz I want to know how true this is cos is ur word I'll take. I have a 99 siena. Jus last week the exhaust started making some noise, not a bad noise tho so I took it to a panel beating workshop for them to check it out. I was told the exhaust is leaking fuel. He demonstrated an act to prove to me. He start my siena and the engine was steaming, he then put foam to block that place that smoke comes out from the exhaust and then he forcefully removed the foam there was no sound.
He start another toyota camry and as the engine engine was steaming he repeated the same process he did on my siena he then forcefully removed the foam and their was a blow sound which never happened on mine. This he did to prove to me mine was leaking fuel.
He says he will loose the exhaust and work on it n everythn will be fine.
Please I want to know if anybody have an idea of this cos I need diverse opinion b4 I commit d guy to work on it 2mao morning.
Tnx
Please pardon my unorganized writing.
Cc: mokset123, GAZZUZZ, AutoElectNG, honmusa, mayor2013
Re: Hello by honmusa(m): 9:18pm On Aug 01, 2017
Leaking fuel ??u mean to say leaking exhaust ??
Re: Hello by AmandaLuv(f): 9:20pm On Aug 01, 2017
honmusa:
Leaking fuel ??u mean to say leaking exhaust ??
leaking exhaust from dat place smoke comes out from.
Re: Hello by honmusa(m): 10:18pm On Aug 01, 2017
the guy is right!!
fix the leaking exhaust

1 Like

Re: Hello by nurey(m): 11:26am On Aug 02, 2017
If you drive the car often, an exhaust leak shouldnt be hard to determine
1. once you start the car in the morning, there is this loud exhaust noise
2. Over taking/throttle response is always weak
3. High fuel consumption (only noticeable if you are observant of the guage)

if your exhaust is leaking, better tell them to cut out that place and affix a new pipe. welding will only last a month or so and it will start leaking again especially if its the wire mesh and joints on the exhaust.
Re: Hello by AutoElectNG: 10:12am On Aug 17, 2017
AmandaLuv:
plz I want to know how true this is cos is ur word I'll take. I have a 99 siena. Jus last week the exhaust started making some noise, not a bad noise tho so I took it to a panel beating workshop for them to check it out. I was told the exhaust is leaking fuel. He demonstrated an act to prove to me. He start my siena and the engine was steaming, he then put foam to block that place that smoke comes out from the exhaust and then he forcefully removed the foam there was no sound.
He start another toyota camry and as the engine engine was steaming he repeated the same process he did on my siena he then forcefully removed the foam and their was a blow sound which never happened on mine. This he did to prove to me mine was leaking fuel.
He says he will loose the exhaust and work on it n everythn will be fine.
Please I want to know if anybody have an idea of this cos I need diverse opinion b4 I commit d guy to work on it 2mao morning.
Tnx
Please pardon my unorganized writing.
Cc: mokset.123, GAZZUZ.Z, AutoElectN.G, honmus.a, mayor201.3

How are things today? Two weeks and some days later? I know that you were attended to...but you provided no update!
Re: Hello by AmandaLuv(f): 10:45am On Aug 17, 2017
AutoElectNG:

How are things today? Two weeks and some days later? I know that you were attended to...but you provided no update!
sorry sir the panelbeater says I need to change the exhaust. Dat part dat smoke comes out from. There's stil continuous leak.
Re: Hello by cyborg123(m): 11:01am On Aug 17, 2017
Changing exhaust is an expensive action that should only be recommended if the exhaust pipe has multiple leaks at places that can't be welded to give a good solution to the problem and it's very rare. I don't think you are at this stage yet.

Get a second opinion from another panelbeater that knows his job well.
Re: Hello by AmandaLuv(f): 11:09am On Aug 17, 2017
cyborg123:
Changing exhaust is an expensive action that should only be recommended if the exhaust pipe has multiple leaks at places that can't be welded to give a good solution to the problem and it's very rare. I don't think you are at this stage yet.

Get a second opinion from another panelbeater that knows his job well.
exactly my opinion sir. I scanned the vehicle recently but it never detected any exhaust problem. I intend to get a second/third/fourth opinion. Thank u sir
Re: Hello by cyborg123(m): 11:14am On Aug 17, 2017
AmandaLuv:
exactly my opinion sir. I scanned the vehicle recently but it never detected any exhaust problem. I intend to get a second/third/fourth opinion. Thank u sir
Exhaust leak, especially if minor, is not likely to throw a code. The test the panelbeater carried out is effective. I just think he's trying to rip you off your money by asking for a complete exhaust change when a simple weld will work. You are welcome ma.

1 Like

Re: Hello by ORAGAMYFARMS(m): 11:17am On Aug 17, 2017
AmandaLuv:

A scan will not detect any exhaust leak, you need a professional scan tool and be able to translate a live data to determine an exhaust leak from a scan tool. your solution is simple, let him tell you where the exhaust is leaking from or what particular part he intends to change and snap and upload here and lets recommend. He cant tell you to change the whole exhaust system but on the second thought, he can tell you to change the whole exhaust if it has rusted, my guess is probably he wants to change only the pot due to rust and extreme unpatchable leaks.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fraud At Lkeja Licensing Office / Foreign Used Car, How Much Damage Is Too Much? / HELP!!! My Honda City 2012 Goes Off On Motion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.