Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,814 members, 7,915,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 08:43 PM

Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News (5706 Views)

Aisha Eniola Is An Elected Councillor In London / This Is How A Councillor Says He Is Delivering His Campaign Promises / Buhari Moves To Slash Own Salary, Allowance. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Oboma1(m): 12:30pm On Feb 14, 2010
Councillor executes projects with own salary
National NewsFeb 13, 2010
By Emma Amaize, Warri

THE Councillor, repre-senting ward four in Uvwie local government area of Delta state, Mrs. Deborah Ogaga has executed a borehole water project, equipped with a 5.5 horsepower engine and renovated a community hall for her people with her salary.

Besides, she also repaired a failed portion on Ogaga Street, cleared blocked drainages in Urhuamarho, while five women in the area have been placed on a monthly stipend of N20, 000, as part of her service to the people that elected her into office.

Meanwhile, chairman of Burutu Local Government Area in Delta State, Frank Zuokumor says the current tension in Oporomo kingdom in the area over the purported creation of an additional kingdom and chieftaincy row is uncalled for.

Speaking when he played host to representatives of Ekogbene kingdom in his office, the council boss said he was amazed at the tension over the creation of Gbesa kingdom because to the best of his knowledge, the state government has not created another kingdom in Burutu local government. He said there was a laid down procedure for the creation of an additional kingdom.

Starting with a formal application by the intending kingdom through the local government council to the Deputy Governor’s Office, which, in turn, makes recommendation to the State Executive Council.

Commissioning the projects, weekend, the member representing Uvwie in the Delta State House of Assembly, Chief Solomon Ighrakpata said, “I am delighted and opportune to be part of this historic programme because it is complementing the efforts of the council chairman”
“If every elected Officer can be doing this in our community, we would have been vastly developed, what she has achieved as a councilor is so great and she needs support”, he said.

On his part, chairman of the council, Mr. Peter Abugewa stated, “I am overwhelmed, many public office holders only think what they can benefit from the system but Mrs. Ogaga has keyed into the three_ point agenda of Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan, I want others to emulate her works, she has performed credibly well”.

Mrs. Ogaga in her address stunned those who thought the projects were financed by the council when she stated that they were solely executed by her with her salary.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/02/13/councillor-executes-projects-with-own-salary/
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Oboma1(m): 12:43pm On Feb 14, 2010
This might be a tool for second term, anywhere.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by keyremotes(m): 1:14pm On Feb 14, 2010
Oboma1:

This might be a tool for second term, anywhere.
What if it is not?
Can Nigerians ever stop being suspicious of everything people do?
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Oboma1(m): 1:37pm On Feb 14, 2010
keyremotes:

What if it is not?
Can Nigerians ever stop being suspicious of everything people do?

No body is suspecting anything, but it is conventional trend in Nigeria, that things like this are for a purpose.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by keyremotes(m): 1:43pm On Feb 14, 2010
Oboma1:

No body is suspecting anything, but it is conventional trend in Nigeria, that things like this are for a purpose.
What I'm asking is "WHAT IF IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS?"
It is the unconventional that will take this nation to the promised land.

Unconventional things like:
1. Refusing to collect N1,000,000 bribe for a contract even when your salary is just about N30,000.00.
2. When we refuse the temptation to drive against the traffic in a heavy traffic jam.
3. Doing the right things even when no one is watching you
and so on ans so forth.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Oboma1(m): 1:48pm On Feb 14, 2010
keyremotes:

What I'm asking is "WHAT IF IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS?"
It is the unconventional that will take this nation to the promised land.

Unconventional things like:
1. Refusing to collect N1,000,000 bribe for a contract even when your salary is just about N30,000.00.
2. When we refuse the temptation to drive against the traffic in a heavy traffic jam.
3. Doing the right things even when no one is watching you
and so on ans so forth.

I am not disputing you, but these things happen on daily basis. Which civil servant in Nigeria, will not collect a bribe of N1,000,000, when the doctors needs N650,000 to operate his only child?
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by keyremotes(m): 1:56pm On Feb 14, 2010
It's our lot to do the unconventional for this nation.
We have no other country.

I think we should celebrate people like this more and more to encourage people who find themselves in such positions.
It will do us all good if we have more people doing such and have less doing the negative.

Even if it is for a 2nd term, she has done what many will most likely copy very soon.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Oboma1(m): 2:03pm On Feb 14, 2010
keyremotes:

It's our lot to do the unconventional for this nation.
We have no other country.

I think we should celebrate people like this more and more to encourage people who find themselves in such positions.
It will do us all good if we have more people doing such and have less doing the negative.

Even if it is for a 2nd term, she has done what many will most likely copy very soon.

Yes, she has done what many would not have done, except for their personal interest. She needs commendation and encouragement. It is really rare in Nigeria.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Hardtalk: 2:33pm On Feb 14, 2010
Thats good, but can it be repeated at a more senior position?
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by edoyad(m): 2:40pm On Feb 14, 2010
Not to disparage what she did, but how much did it cost to put that story on the Vanguard.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 8:25pm On Feb 14, 2010
Well in Nigeria, anything can happen. I hope, this is not another paid publicity? undecided undecided
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Afam(m): 8:35pm On Feb 14, 2010
Oboma1:

I am not disputing you, but these things happen on daily basis. Which civil servant in Nigeria, will not collect a bribe of N1,000,000, when the doctors needs N650,000 to operate his only child?

There are people that will not collect the N1M bribe regardless of the pressing needs they may have.

We must stop justifying wrong things because some people are not disciplined enough to reject illegality.

Some of us have turned our backs on projects running into hundreds of millions of naira and even billions based on principles so it is not an impossible thing to do.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 9:16pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam:

There are people that will not collect the N1M bribe regardless of the pressing needs they may have.

We must stop justifying wrong things because some people are not disciplined enough to reject illegality.

Some of us have turned our backs on projects running into hundreds of millions of naira and even billions based on principles so it is not an impossible thing to do.

Sorry for jumping into this, but it will take an extremist to reject such an offer, minding his/her current situation. We may say some may not collect such offers, but in the real sense of it, will they reject it, and in Nigeria?
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Afam(m): 9:38pm On Feb 14, 2010
selingel:

Sorry for jumping into this, but it will take an extremist to reject such an offer, minding his/her current situation. We may say some may not collect such offers, but in the real sense of it, will they reject it, and in Nigeria?

Whether extremists or not there are people that will reject such offers.

I cut off a few friends who believed that every rich man in Nigeria cannot claim to have made money without doing something illegal. This they repeatedly told me when I relate to them some of my encounters with people who propose all manner of businesses to me.

I have severally been asked by scammers to replicate bank websites and even though I can do this under 4 hours from start to finish (including everything on the original website) and you have on the average N200,000.00 on the table I tell them I won't do that.

Now, people tell me I am being too rigid for not making N200,000.00 for just 4 hours work on my laptop but they seem not to understand the issue of right or wrong.

This is just a matter of hours not to talk about hundreds of millions worth of projects that one is being begged to handle by banks.

There are indeed honest men and women in Nigeria who will not be moved at all by any amount of money based on principles, integrity and credibility.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by marvix(m): 9:47pm On Feb 14, 2010
At least she decided to spend her money on d community even if it is 4 2nd term or a higher office pls her pple shld encourage her. If Senators nd Members of Assemblies copy this things she has done even with stolen funds would we be complainin beta 2 use d money dis way to win future elections than amass all d money to pay 4 future elections
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 9:50pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam:

I cut off a few friends who believed that every rich man in Nigeria cannot claim to have made money without doing something illegal. This they repeatedly told me when I relate to them some of my encounters with people who propose all manner of businesses to me.

I have severally been asked by scammers to replicate bank websites and even though I can do this under 4 hours from start to finish (including everything on the original website) and you have on the average N200,000.00 on the table I tell them I won't do that.

Now, people tell me I am being too rigid for not making N200,000.00 for just 4 hours work on my laptop but they seem not to understand the issue of right or wrong.

This is just a matter of hours not to talk about hundreds of millions worth of projects that one is being begged to handle by banks.

There are indeed honest men and women in Nigeria who will not be moved at all by any amount of money based on principles, integrity and credibility.

I must confess here, that I covet your kind of person, but I must still add here too, how long will your kind of person stand out, amongst these wolves. You may have such principle, but will it withstand the test of time to the end? I will still say it, that, in Nigeria today, it will take an extremist to walk from such money on the table, even without any need, talkless of that earlier narrated. If I say, you might just be one of those that will walk away, does that, mean you may not cave in to it some day?
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Beaf: 9:54pm On Feb 14, 2010
I knew it had to be in Delta State. I just knew it!
Where others are stealing money, one of ours is spending from her own pocket on public projects!

That state is an example for the rest of the country. I keep stressing something that is a miracle in Nigeria. . . Yes, our governor (Emmanuel Uduaghan) is from a minority ethnic group in the state. His ethnic group forms just 4% of Delta states population, yet he is our governor and you can be sure he will serve a second term.

[size=14pt]Up Delta!!! Up Deborah Ogaga[/size]
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 9:56pm On Feb 14, 2010
Beaf:

I knew it had to be in Delta State. I just knew it!
Where others are stealing money, one of ours is spending from her own pocket on public projects!

That state is an example for the rest of the country. I keep stressing something that is a miracle in Nigeria. . . Yes, our governor (Emmanuel Uduaghan) is from a minority ethnic group in the state. His ethnic group forms just 4% of Delta states population, yet he is our governor and you can be sure he will serve a second term.

[size=14pt]Up Delta!!! Up Deborah Ogaga[/size]

@ Beaf, you don come again. Abeg no make me laugh!. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Beaf: 9:57pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam:

I have severally been asked by scammers to replicate bank websites and even though I can do this under 4 hours from start to finish (including everything on the original website) and you have on the average N200,000.00 on the table [size=14pt]I tell them I won't do that[/size].

Way to go bro. You are an example to follow.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Beaf: 9:59pm On Feb 14, 2010
selingel:

@ Beaf, you don come again. Abeg no make me laugh!. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Don't worry, I don forgive una. grin grin grin grin grin grin
What of my friend, otobroto? I see all of you guy's representing from time to time, but no otobroto. embarassed
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Afam(m): 9:59pm On Feb 14, 2010
selingel:

I must confess here, that I covet your kind of person, but I must still add here too, how long will your kind of person stand out, amongst these wolves. You may have such principle, but will it withstand the test of time to the end? I will still say it, that, in Nigeria today, it will take an extremist to walk from such money on the table, even without any need, talkless of that earlier narrated. If I say, you might just be one of those that will walk away, does that, mean you may not cave in to it some day?

There is nothing in the world that will change me. I am way to consistent in all I do (including responding to insults in kind on this forum and out there in the real world because that is the language a lot of us understand) because I made the choice a long time ago.

I don't do anything to please people and no amount of money would make me change, those that know me well will tell you that including my enemies.

At least, if I can walk away from N6Billion project because I refused to grease the hands of the person responsible for the signing of the contract even when the other 2 companies that were included were asked to go since none of them demonstrated relevant knowledge on what the project was about then I can assure you that not many people can offer such amount of money.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 10:04pm On Feb 14, 2010
Beaf:

What of my friend, otobroto? I see all of you guy's representing from time to time, but no otobroto. embarassed

Thanks jare. We dont need all those stuffs. We are all one, representing one nation!.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 10:08pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam:

There is nothing in the world that will change me. I am way to consistent in all I do (including responding to insults in kind on this forum and out there in the real world because that is the language a lot of us understand) because I made the choice a long time ago.

I don't do anything to please people and no amount of money would make me change, those that know me well will tell you that including my enemies.

At least, if I can walk away from N6Billion project because I refused to grease the hands of the person responsible for the signing of the contract even when the other 2 companies that were included were asked to go since none of them demonstrated relevant knowledge on what the project was about then I can assure you that not many people can offer such amount of money.

No please, do not see it as insult. We are making individual contributions here, on how to better our nation. Why I am saying all these is because, I work and live in Asokoro, here in Abuja. So, my contributions are not tales by moonlight. I see these things on daily basis, hence the emphasis.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 10:09pm On Feb 14, 2010
Beaf:

Otobroto dey. Work dey deal with that guy seriously.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Afam(m): 10:11pm On Feb 14, 2010
selingel:

No please, do not see it as insult. We are making individual contributions here, on how to better our nation. Why I am saying all these is because, I work and live in Asokoro, here in Abuja. So, my contributions are not tales by moonlight. I see these things on daily basis, hence the emphasis.

Sorry for the confusion, I never meant you were insulting me, I merely stated that I am consistent in whatever I do. My apologies for not being too clear. That part had nothing to do with your own comments thus far.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by marvix(m): 10:13pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam y wld u turn down a 6bn project wen u seem to be d best man available somone else witout d required skill will grease d necesary hands get d job and do it shoddily u cld hav taken d job deliva a superb job made ur profit and u cld den go ahead adding value to pples life d way deborah was doing. Let's not kil dis nation wit principles dat takes us nowhere
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Afam(m): 10:17pm On Feb 14, 2010
marvix:

Afam y wld u turn down a 6bn project wen u seem to be d best man available somone else witout d required skill will grease d necesary hands get d job and do it shoddily u cld hav taken d job deliva a superb job made your profit and u cld den go ahead adding value to pples life d way deborah was doing. Let's not kil dis nation wit principles dat takes us nowhere

Sorry, I don't offer nor take bribes. There is no middle ground on these things trust me and once you start there is no going back.

It is like killing someone. Kill one person and you won't see anything wrong in killing 100.

I am doing my best to develop men of integrity and I am happy that quite a number of people around me have changed for the better. It is either they genuinely changed or they are wonderful actors and actresses because with human beings you never know.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 10:22pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam:

Sorry for the confusion, I never meant you were insulting me, I merely stated that I am consistent in whatever I do. My apologies for not being too clear. That part had nothing to do with your own comments thus far.

I just hope your strength will not wear out, because even the most holiest amongst the wolves, later wine and dine with the wolves. I am not encouraging giving and taking of bribes, but what I am saying here is that, if you are the holiest amongst these people, is either you partake in it and remain in the office, or you refuse to partake in it or be kicked out (that is, you will set up and be finally sacked, or be demoted).
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Afam(m): 10:27pm On Feb 14, 2010
selingel:

I just hope your strength will not wear out, because even the most holiest amongst the wolves, later wine and dine with the wolves. I am not encouraging giving and taking of bribes, but what I am saying here is that, if you are the holiest amongst these people, is either you partake in it and remain in the office, or you refuse to partake in it or be kicked out (that is, you will set up and be finally sacked, or be demoted).

I guess I should have stated this before now, I said bye bye to paid employment because I could not stand the hypocrisy, double standards and even back stabbing by colleagues and I am a very blunt person who is not afraid to defend what he knows regardless of the position of the people in question.

Luckily for me most of my working experience had to do with foreigners from Americans to Scots and Britons even though the issues I highlighted were still there but not as pronounced as what obtained with our own people (Nigerians). I have lived and worked in places like PH, Onne, Eket, Lagos and Bonny Island. If you throw in the Special Intensive Training Program by RGU Aberdeen in Warri then you will know the industry I worked in before kissing paid employment goodbye.
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by marvix(m): 10:39pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam I c u hav made enuf to be comfortable nd wen u drive along d streets u c children sellin pure water because they can't go to school nd u feel well its not my fault pls if u hav d oportunity kil one to save hundred make d extra money and completely give it to charity and u wld hav set dis country on a beta pedestal instead of actin or bein a saint in hell
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by selingel: 10:41pm On Feb 14, 2010
Afam:

I guess I should have stated this before now, I said bye bye to paid employment because I could not stand the hypocrisy, double standards and even back stabbing by colleagues and I am a very blunt person who is not afraid to defend what he knows regardless of the position of the people in question.

Luckily for me most of my working experience had to do with foreigners from Americans to Scots and Britons e[b]ven though the issues I highlighted were still there but not as pronounced as what obtained with our own people (Nigerians)[/b]. I have lived and worked in places like PH, Onne, Eket, Lagos and Bonny Island. If you throw in the Special Intensive Training Program by RGU Aberdeen in Warri then you will know the industry I worked in before kissing paid employment goodbye.

One, I appreciate your courage to be very outspoken, and secondly, I admit your strength to defend your course, by even insisting that, it exist even amongst the foreigners. If it then exist amongst these people, then, you will see why a typical Nigerian will never resist such offers. Thank GOD you went confessed too that, your former colleagues even did same. That is the plight of a typical Nigerian worker.

Let me say here that, when I was in school, there used to be a Police man living in the same compound with me. Later, I discovered that he was a very religious man. He never collected bribes, and this fact was confirmed by his colleagues. To me, how long will he continue to act this way, knowing the characters we have in the Nigerian Police force? People like this try to live a good life, but will the society allow them? How long will they stay glued to their principle? When he gets married and the demand for more money comes, will he not be tempted?
Re: Councillor Executes Projects With Own Salary - News by Afam(m): 10:51pm On Feb 14, 2010
marvix:

Afam I c u hav made enuf to be comfortable nd wen u drive along d streets u c children sellin pure water because they can't go to school nd u feel well its not my fault pls if u hav d oportunity kil one to save hundred make d extra money and completely give it to charity and u wld hav set dis country on a beta pedestal instead of actin or bein a saint in hell

Don't assume things my friend, there is no way to know whether I am comfortable or not from my posts. I am the type that will say no to illegal money and go home to drink garri. I am very contented with what I have and I don't see money as many people see it.

This is more about character than anything else. Just as there are women that you cannot sleep with no matter what you offer them and it's not because they are comfortable.

selingel:

One, I appreciate your courage to be very outspoken, and secondly, I admit your strength to defend your course, by even insisting that, it exist even amongst the foreigners. If it then exist amongst these people, then, you will see why a typical Nigerian will never resist such offers. Thank GOD you went confessed too that, your former colleagues even did same. That is the plight of a typical Nigerian worker.

Let me say here that, when I was in school, there used to be a Police man living in the same compound with me. Later, I discovered that he was a very religious man. He never collected bribes, and this fact was confirmed by his colleagues. To me, how long will he continue to act this way, knowing the characters we have in the Nigerian Police force? People like this try to live a good life, but will the society allow them? How long will they stay glued to their principle? When he gets married and the demand for more money comes, will he not be tempted?

You have touched on a very important point here - marriage, responsibilities and needs. This is where a lot of us get it wrong. You see someone who manages to finish NYSC and once he gets his first appointment letter he gets married, no planning for the future and sometimes people do this because others are doing it.

I know friends who got married just because Shell or Mobil gave them jobs (whether contract or regular) because they felt they had arrived.

I know married people that keep breeding children like rabbits and yet cannot feed them. Most of these financial pressures are self inflicted.

Let me not divert into other issues so as not to derail this thread but the point is that we can live better lives if we can plan and more importantly if we are contented with what we have without needing to live false lives where in the bid to show off we over borrow and use things we may never be able to repay.

(1) (2) (Reply)

1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA / B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g News: Buhari May Drop Out Of Presidential Race By Himself / Buhari Gave Hints of Coming Probes; Bombs Started Going Off During Ramadan!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.