Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,404 members, 7,881,468 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:32 PM

FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port (863 Views)

Obaseki Tells Workers: I Will Increase Minimum Wage If We Improve On Revenue / Atiku Won on The Server But lost On Actual Vote / Omoyele Sowore Laments On The Sorry State Yaba Railway Station (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by SexyBabe001: 8:31am On Aug 11, 2017
Federal Government efforts to discourage importation of vehicles through neighbouring countries may remain a mirage, as importers appear to have taken solace in the range of incentives offered by the Port of Cotonou in the Benin Republic.

It was gathered that the Autonomous Port of Cotonou has recently slashed its transit vehicle charges from CFA399,920 (N257,000) to CFA290,000 (N186,000) effective from July 1, 2017.

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s import duty on imported vehicles remains astronomically high at 35 per cent, and another 35 per cent surcharge amounting to a total of 70 per cent on a cargo.

Experts have described this as one of the highest in the world, thereby discouraging the use of Nigerian ports. The Guardian investigations revealed that importers of Nigerian-bound vehicles and other cargoes prefer landing them at Cotonou and other neighbouring ports, and smuggling them into Nigeria through the porous borders, in order to avoid prohibitive tariffs charged by the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS).

Despite Nigerian government’s ban on importation of vehicles through land borders, the volume of cars smuggled into the country from Cotonou through Seme, Idiroko, and other land borders has risen astronomically in the past four months.

This is even as the government of Benin Republic last month approved the reduction of charges on transit vehicles by 27 per cent, which happened six months after the Nigerian Government banned the importation of vehicles through the land borders.

Data obtained from the Autonomous Port of Cotonou showed that while the importation of cars in Cotonou reached an all-time low of just 3,500 units in January 2017, the volume of cars discharged there last month was well over 10,000 units.

Investigations showed that the volume of cars imported through the Autonomous Port of Cotonou in transit to Nigeria also recorded significant growth since March 2017.

A Senior Staff of a Shipping Line in Cotonou, Elisee Dieudonne, said: “We expect this reduction in prices in Cotonou will divert even more vehicles to the Benin Republic, while the volumes in Lagos will remain stagnant. From all indications, this figure is going to grow in the next month, as the naira is re-valued against the CFA, and more traders are patronising the port of Cotonou.”

She added: “The trend we’re seeing is that the old and crashed vehicles, which are paying comparatively low level of duties, are discharged in Lagos, while the newer and more expensive second-hand cars are discharged in Cotonou.”

President, National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF), Increase Uche, said the port of Cotonou has slashed transit cost to attract Nigerian importers, as such, the Nigerian Government should also review the import duties if they are serious about making the seaports competitive.

According to him, about 80 per cent of those vehicle imported through Cotonou is smuggled into Nigeria without paying duty. “It is left for Nigeria to also reduce their duty in order to make it competitive, as we keep saying, the Customs duty is on the high side, they over value imports.

“Besides, the inconsistent policies are not helping matters. Importers will place an order for consignment and before it comes here, government policy may have created one problem or another and such importer might have borrowed the money from a bank to finance the transaction. The goods will incur demurrage, and the burden is too much and people continue to lose investment.

“All these are not good for our economy, we should also reduce the cost of importing through Nigerian seaports if actually, we want to make the ports competitive,” he said.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/08/fg-losses-revenue-on-cars-import-to.html

Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by SexyBabe001: 8:31am On Aug 11, 2017
Whats your take on this?
Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by effty(m): 8:34am On Aug 11, 2017
I blame Buhari. You don't expect a dullard to understand the economics of trade. Even that Aunty Kemi is so daft that she failed a very simple arithmetic.
How can you charge 70% of the value of a car as import duties and expect importers to pay while you stifle economic activities with inept policies?

3 Likes

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 11, 2017
They know what to do, they keep wasting people's money with thier yeye ban. Only God knows how many cars dem go don sieze this year alone.

When you put dundee abokiii in charge

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by CARLOSZ: 8:41am On Aug 11, 2017
I think the spaces for FTC and STC can be monetized for at least for 200-500 naira per spot.

It can generate revenue for our jobless first commenters (no insults intended)

This is how it can be done.

*when a person indicates interest in advertising on the spot, they agree on a price while the first commenter quotes the sponsored post, that way a first commenter can be making between 1-3k daily on NL (without tax)

What do you all think?
Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by wristbangle: 8:52am On Aug 11, 2017
The reason for the high import duties/fees from Nigeria govt and NCS still baffles me till now. No wonder majority of people prefer going to cotonou to buy cars than tincan/apapa side.

It's not as if the government do not know this but greed/corruption has destroyed their brain that the only review they can think of is upward trend.

My friend bought a camry SE 2008 model (68,000 mileage, V6, leather, etc) for a total of N2.2m at cotonou which includes payment of all necessary documents but here in Nigeria with that features, it would cost minimum of N2.7m

2 Likes

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Bossontop(m): 8:55am On Aug 11, 2017
undecided undecided
Izz a simpu sturvs na....ok take an example
U go to market to buy bread and ask the prices from two shops: shop A #500.....shop B #300 from which shop will u buy??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Mcreloaded(m): 9:11am On Aug 11, 2017
This government have only succeeded in turning people to armed robbers, kidnappers, ritualists, and now they have also turned our hard working agents to smugglers all because of their policies
Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by KingRex1(m): 10:39am On Aug 11, 2017
17.5M naira for just 2016 camry

Naija which way
Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Bolustical: 10:44am On Aug 11, 2017
You cannot keep lamenting without fixing your porous border, Nigeria has around 1,499 illegal points of entry.

The FG should fix that first and then it can monitor importation from Cotnou.
Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2017
effty:
I blame Buhari. You don't expect a dullard to understand the economics of trade. Even that Aunty Kemi is so daft that she failed a very simple arithmetic.
How can you charge 70% of the value of a car as import duties and expect importers to pay while you stifle economic activities with inept policies?

I'm not a Buhari fan, but I hope you know it was Okonjo Iweala, during Jonathan's tenure, who came up with that idea of increasing customs tariff to patch the economy, not Kemi. If you don't have enough information about a topic, please keep quiet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by SalamRushdie: 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2017
When I always say Buhari is very short sighted this is exactly what i mean, this same man knows he doesnt have a viable local car industry on ground and he goes in to increase tarriff saying he wants to encourage local production and then forces the banks to increase lending rates as a fallout of poorly implemented TSA whuch automatically put any dream of local manufacture of cars on hold but Mr innoson keeps fighting to make the dream come alive only for Buhari to allow the EFCC needlessly go and hound the man foe nothing ..Buhari is a short sighted disaster jare

1 Like

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Desyner: 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2017
LagosCiti:

I'm not a Buhari fan, but I hope you know it was Okonjo Iweala, during Jonathan's tenure, who came up with that idea of increasing customs tariff to patch the economy, not Kemi. If you don't have enough information about a topic, please keep quiet.
They would have auctioned Nigeria by now. Thank God for change.
Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 22, 2017
Desyner:
They would have auctioned Nigeria by now. Thank God for change.

I don't know about that and I'm not a ''change'' chanter either. I just gave a fact. I don't believe in Buhari's government because it's filled with the same set of old politicians. No remarkable ideas in Nigerian politics at the moment and I won't waste my youth singing praises of politicians who are more concerned about how much they can make rather than how to help improve lives and build infrastructures for the next generation.

1 Like

Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by tribalistseun: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2017
I went to Benin republic last year to clear vehicle, honestly it's like going to ShopRite to buy fanta.

But come to Nigeria port, na war front. Custom looking for any means to swindle you.
Re: FG Laments On Revenue Lost On Cars Import To Cotonou Port by Desyner: 10:40pm On Dec 22, 2017
LagosCiti:

I don't know about that and I'm not a ''change'' chanter either. I just gave a fact. I don't believe in Buhari's government because it's filled with the same set of old politicians. No remarkable ideas in Nigerian politics at the moment and I won't waste my youth singing praises of politicians who are more concerned about how much they can make rather than how to help improve lives and build infrastructures for the next generation.
I am not a change fanatic but appreciate its timely intervention in helping us out of a tight corner. Of course politicians are largely the same but I can't deny the slight improvement in leadership we enjoy.

(1) (Reply)

100 Days In London Now Showing In Cinemas Nationwide / "Only Buhari Can Stabilize Nigeria" -dr. Olisa Agbakoba. / Nnamdi Kanu Supported One Nigeria Under Jonathan But Suddenly Became A Monster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.