Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,600 members, 7,885,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 10:24 AM

Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby (11844 Views)

UK News: Nigerian Names And The Stories They Tell. does baby names help them? / What Was Your Baby's First Word? / Amazing Benefits Of Using Shea Butter As Your Baby Or Family Cream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by JajaZ: 2:35pm On Mar 16, 2010
@ chris_j
I can think of one African name in the Bible and that is "Niger". Check Acts 13:1
cheesy
Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by blank(f): 3:38am On Mar 18, 2010
Both my first name and middle name are native names. Funnily enough, everyone in my immediate and extended family has the same.
Including those born and raised abroad.
I will definitely do the same cos i believe a name is a prophesy for the kid.
Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by Ndipe(m): 3:50am On Mar 18, 2010
blank:

Both my first name and middle name are native names. Funnily enough, everyone in my immediate and extended family has the same.
Including those born and raised abroad.
I will definitely do the same cos i believe a name is a prophesy for the kid.

Not necesarrily true. There are kids named Uwem (which means life in Ibibio) who are mortals like all of us.
Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by Umutops(f): 12:21pm On Oct 22, 2014
My own name is a yoruba name: born in wealth
(Abiola)
Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 16, 2018
Foreign names are cool, but nothing beats picking a Nigerian name for your baby

After all you are a Nigerian, not a Kimberly grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by fancy4eve(f): 8:48pm On Feb 16, 2018
tolutara:
my kids are

Fehintoluwa, Moboluwaduro Olamide - my first child
Omotara Fiyinfoluwa ,Kofoworola - 2nd
Ayomide Oluwatoke Aderinsola- 3rd

No English names for me abeg, as long as the English are not naming there kids Nigerian names, why should I? lipsrsealed undecided
Eazy dear
Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by aremuforlife(m): 9:28am On Feb 17, 2018
[/quote][quote author=jumie post=5517125]A name is as important as the person.

Whether you give a child a local or foreign name, the most important thing is knowing the meaning of such names and understanding that it could affect the child's future. Eg. When you name a child - Esubiyi (meaning - the devil has brought this), Iyabo (dead mother has returned), etc such names will impact negatively on the child and the child may even develop a low self esteem because of its name. English names such as Linda (meaning - snake), etc have also been known to connote something negative.

However, it is important that you give a child a name that he or she will be very proud of when he or she grows up!! grin
Esubiyi is not devil has brought as you claimed above
It has is own meaning in Yoruba language because ESU in Yoruba is not the devil in the Bible and Quran. And it's no does not mean that a dead mother is back alive is just like keep her memory in live.
Re: Foriegn Or Nigerian Names For Your Baby by Obinkita(m): 9:57am On Feb 17, 2018
Nigerian names are superb and many glorify God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bad Habits Of Your Spouse That You Can't Stand? / Lady Shares Opinion On Women Not Having Children Against Husband's Wish / Another Baby Girl (After Two Daughters!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.