Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,937 members, 7,935,981 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 08:30 PM

Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking (26561 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 7 Nigerian Varsities Emerge For World Bank Sponsored Projects / Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by shilling(f): 4:28am On Feb 23, 2010
My freshman year was @ University of Botswana and it sucked so bad, it's #23 on the list, can't imagine how bad the other varsities are then.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by becomricch: 6:10am On Feb 23, 2010
dayokanu , i know someone who was not very good in school  , he had first class from your school.  and go and find out the number of first class unilorin has produced. it is  what your school produce in one year. unilorin has a different marking system that make it impossible to have first class. i think they should please count how many first class they have produced. second class in ilorin is first class in most school. ilorin has produce  less first class than any universities in nigeria with its age. quote me on this. what other university produce in 1 year is university of ilorin 5 year count.    the average number of first class from ilorin is about 2 per year. two people do not make first class in a department in ilorin. the senate would reject it.

i would give N100,000 = $10  for your school to take a test with university of ilorin .
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by nas00(m): 6:16am On Feb 23, 2010
The facts speak for themselves:

dayokanu:

OAU, UI would always be tops in Nigerian context. They draw the best students and the internal competition amongst students is always keen.

The best students in secondary schools all want to go to UI, OAU, UNILAG and those top schools so basically whats left for the UNILORIN'S of these world are students who couldnt make it to UI, OAU, etc.

Tell me any good student you know of whose University of first choice was UNILORIN, UNISOKOTO or IMSU

Most of them go for UI, Ife, UNILAG, UNN etc.

These top schools also have the best faculty staff. Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Chike Obi, Ade Ajayi, Jubril Aminu and other top notch lecturers can only be found in these grade A schools.

The best secondary school students, grilled by Wole Soyinka's, Chinua Achebe etc can only be the best in the country

UI, OAU, UNILAG are the root from which others sprang. All other nigerian universities are second-line. lipsrsealed tongue

U.I. is the best, not only because she recently defeated other famous African Universities at the Zain Africa Challenge, but the quality of teaching and research is superb. Like Dayo said, products of good schools speak for them, e.g. There is an endless list of products of U.I. (likewise, OAU) who have pioneered learning in other institutions in Nigeria (and that was how many of these universities some ppl are hyping here grew). Few other examples from UI include: Prof E. Latunde Odeku (1st neurosurgeon in africa), Prof. Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, Prof B.O. Osuntokun, Prof Adelola Adeloye, Prof Kola Obisesan (provost, College of Medicine, LAUTECH), Prof M.T. Shokunbi, Prof Olumuyiwa Awe, Prof. Oluwole Adebo (Provost, C.O.M., BOWEN University), Prof Babatunde Osotimehin, far too many products of these first-line Universities played pivotal roles in the development of these OSU, LASU, UNILORIN, LAUTECH, UNAD etc and some ppl are heaping shame on their schools here. embarassed tongue tongue

True, everyone here wants to support their alma mater. True also is the fact that most products of the second line universities had attempted to gain admission into the first-line at some time. Dayokanu said it all up there cool cool
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by becomricch: 6:22am On Feb 23, 2010
nas 00
what does getting political appointment through connection , make a school great explain. ui was the only university at the time. so what other option did we have.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by nas00(m): 6:31am On Feb 23, 2010
becomricch:

nas 00
what does getting political appointment through connection , make a school great explain. ui was the only university at the time. so what other option did we have.

^^ Did you mean getting political appointment by recommendation based on an excellent track record?
Check Osotimehin's profile out. He is not an uncouth fellow; a true intellectual; professor of chemical pathology; former provost, College of Medicine U.I.
Same for Olikoye, Ayodele Falase, Femi Bamiro et al. tongue

It is called CLASS. We gat it. Geddit? lipsrsealed
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by becomricch: 6:36am On Feb 23, 2010
i am using a finger. on my bed
let me give an example from pre clinical to clinical. medical student in ilorin are not judge base on thier knowledge only but on available slot . if the class is 120 student.  if the number of slot is 35. it is irrelevant in ilorin if 40 scores 90%. only 35 student would move to clinical. it is same in electrical. they would fail the others. go and ask anyone who read medicine in ilorin if i am telling the truth. they have a cut of number for number of student that move to the next level. so your mark most be good to move to the next level when i was there. there also have a system were they fix the number of student to graduate. if the bring out the book. u see what i mean.

if your student score too high , you have to go the senate to give a reason why. so to avoid going to the senate , most prof , just reduce the mark.

i took a course in ilorin, where Dr now, prof , failed 70% of the class. only 30% pass, i was lucky. he hate going to senate.  And it is not a lie but this is a true story.  There this  prof in ilorin , his student became a prof before him to punish him.  I do not want to name him. but this story is knew by every engineering student out of ilorin at that time.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by nas00(m): 6:45am On Feb 23, 2010
^^ and u think that is a good compliment?
Simply means Ilorin has no facility to cater for the number of students they admit. How can u score 90% and don't progress? That's a shame!

That was why UI reduced her undergraduate intake some years ago- to maintain a high standard of character and learning. Ppl like u were complaining bitterly then. Yet, you gat to be just good to survive your 1st year in UI, or else they send u back to ur mama.
Better stop washing ur dirty linen here!

, and do u think i am using 20 fingers, typing in my office?
It costs me nothing to supply u facts to address ur ignorance na! grin grin
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by becomricch: 7:00am On Feb 23, 2010
why are you editing my post. i am out, are why did you pople send my trojan, you are going to poor.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by KlinBoy: 7:18am On Feb 23, 2010
This is a very serious issue!!! Fello Nairalanders, have you considered the fact that Naija might continue to be in this PHCN darkness for many years to come? Have at the back of your mind also that while you use less that N500 worth of power in a month, you will pay PHCN a minimum of N1500 for that month (whether u like it or not). And if you refuse to pay, they will bring ladder and cut you off.
That is where our solution comes in. We must take back what is ours, enough of cheating. If we will have no light, let us know we have no light and let and individual use that N1,500 to fuel his generator (where it lats no matter, you go know say u enjoy ur N1,500)
Here is my proposition: Whenever NEPA officials come to cut light off teh pole in ur street, once the official is on the pole and entangling the wire, someone far from that vicinity should target the leg of the man on the pole (that kin long range rifle wey den dey use for American film), shoot the man leg (NO KILL AM O).

Seriously, by the time two of such incidents are recorded in surulere, 2 in Agege, 1 in Ikorodu. it will send a clear signal to NEPA or PHCN, hold ur light let us hold our money.

Then, let all the Nigerian youth put their hands on the table, let us think of alternative power source that is cheap and affordable.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by KlinBoy: 7:20am On Feb 23, 2010
na wah o
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 7:31am On Feb 23, 2010
Becomshit. . . Hahahaha. . . The more I see Ur mumbo-jumbo the more I am convinced that Unilorin can't be mentioned in thesame breadth with the Best. Sometimes I wonder where U get Ur sauce coz U re so tasteless. . . If I were a product of Unilorin,and I get to know U are also an alumnus,mehn! I will be very ashamed.Who can believe that sb like U is a grad of any Uni,the only place that sb like U should grad 4rm is a Mental institution.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rasputinn(m): 7:33am On Feb 23, 2010
Unilor-what?
Ilorin has got to be the best university in Kwara state,but pray tell,when did Kwara become Nigeria

I've visited Unilorin in the past,and in my book the only first position they'd occupy is that of the federal university with the most ethnically raz students,you know the tile tile breed
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by VPersie: 7:40am On Feb 23, 2010
rotflmao @ Rhymz and Klinboy

This is why I love NL. I can always come here and be entertained by the sheer, innate, innocent stupidity of likes of Chief. Dr. Becomshi.t. Rhymz, becomericch belongs to those categories of guys that got into school through GCE, never paid attention in high school, did not buckle up in UNiverisyt and were just content to ride the tide and graduate even if they did so having no knowledge whatsoever of their field and lacking basic critical thinking skills. I have definitely seen many of his type at newspaper posts arguments and the likes. Bu the cant help himself. Or can u, becomerich? Thanks for the comedy, though, becomeshit.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Bobbyb(m): 8:37am On Feb 23, 2010
I do believe dat the smart guyz on this thread should surely outnumber the not-smart 1's. So on this note it's known all over nigeria/NL that UNILORIN is a Good school but not a "very good school", all its high ranking on different sites are jst mostly based on technical reasons such as uninterrupted academic programmes, Administrative stability(lack of competitiveness, ooops!!), Low social aura: jst study,study, , grin etc, But when I talk of very good schools in this country, they come in this order, UI, OAU, UNN, ABU( MY eva charismatic Abusites), UNILAG, UNIPORT, When i keep reading this thread and keep seein that d name of ABU is been called up soo not many tymz, it suprises me. Even heard some1 soo confidently saying Ilorins is d biggest in africa, LWKM!!!!!! ABU is d largest in sub-saharan africa nd 2nd largest in africa afta uni of cairo. ABu has an annex, known as congo campus having 3 faculties: ADministation, law nd LGS , About 10 different residential areas of nothin less than 100 residents each of different architectural designs(bungalows,duplexes etc), different agric institutes, not to mention d famous ABUTH which is d largest in west afrika. Enuf said abt d structural and natural endowment of ABU coz they are actually SOO MANY.
Academically speaking ABU has produced some of the best products Nigeria has eva seen( Mr. president)lol To prove me wrong, go into any Federal ministry in this country check all top officials, you must see at least 2 ABU products. Its jst unfortunate that we at ABU are situated in d North, coz my school has some higly interlectual student coupled with a sound social orientation. I do have friends from Unilorin, sori 2 say but they will do wif sm social upgrade!!!! If i had not cm to ABU , i mos def wuld hv gone to d great IFE coz when we call sckuls in 9ja, UI, IFE, UNN, always come out tops. 9ja social scene is clearly dominated by the western schls, but i bet u any day any tym, ABU is tough Competition! smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by tabolaji: 8:45am On Feb 23, 2010
Hey! whats this all about? Battle of interest i guess? you guys should cover your faces when talking about schools instead of bragging over things  not worth calling a school. A visit to any school in ghana might do us some goods. Am out of here!, houuuuuuush!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by fuke(m): 8:49am On Feb 23, 2010
Ilorin cannot be the best.   Any institution suppressing others opinions and dissent voices cannot be the best.

The best in the world allow opposing opinions which Unilorin  kills. If  the Ilorin cabal have their way
longer than necessay, they will be producing robots  as graduates.

No. Unilorin cannot be the best.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Kx: 8:51am On Feb 23, 2010
The ranking is as inconsistent as the association doing the ranking,whoever they are.

Some yrs back,uniben came tops in nigeria.
Now they are saying unben and the rest other schools
that came tops in the previous ranking cant make the 1st and second
runner up in this latest ranking
I bet in the next ranking,they ll relegate unilorin to the 20th position in nigeria.
They just want to make sure the top position goes round all the unis in nigeria
otherwise,what is lasu and ladoke akintola doing in the list?
Soon now or later,they will rank Delsu Abraka,Esut Enugu,Benue state Univ and d likes as the runners up as well.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Kabikala(m): 9:23am On Feb 23, 2010
As far as I am concerned, unilorin is not a school; it is a garrison. Or  maybe a conquered territory.

A school where you are not allowed to express contrary views is a prison. Its students and staff unions have been terrorised into submission. Many of its products will pass out having mastered the subjects of their disciplines, but not learning important lessons of life. Their graduates are the ones who will never be able to resist tyranny in the larger society because they have been emasculated while in school.

And this issue of the school maintaining 10 years of unbroken academic calendar is a total lie. The ASUU strike that led to the "unilorin 49" crisis took place in April 2001.  There was also another violent demonstration by students around 2002/2003 where the mini-campus gate was razed and the school shut. The student leaders were rusticated then.

Unilorin fans also failed to mention that the school has the highest number of litigations filed by victimised students and staff against any academic institution in Nigeria. It has consistently lost all the cases and have been paying a lot of damages to the victimised persons. Even presently, the school is yet to figure out how to pay the huge costs awarded against it on account of its illegal sack of the 49 lecturers in 2001.

A university is a place of ideas where pluralism and diversity are celebrated. A school where people are compelled to reason in a strait-jacketed manner cannot be said to be conducive for intellectual exploits. I think unilorin does not qualify to be described as an intellectual environment. It is a shame of a university.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by keismail: 9:44am On Feb 23, 2010
If u like go hell because of ur human ranking univ.,i finished 4rm oou and less than 1yr now i ve been employed by one bank here,so 4 m oou is d best univ all over d world,take it or not.May b if i attend any of ur so called,i may not get d opportunity.Well pray 4 God 2 give u better job,because here na certificate we they worship no b school my pple.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 11:06am On Feb 23, 2010
keismail:

If u like go hell because of your human ranking univ.,i finished 4rm oou and less than 1yr now i ve been employed by one bank here,so 4 m oou is d best univ all over d world,take it or not.May b if i attend any of your so called,i may not get d opportunity.Well pray 4 God 2 give u better job,because here na certificate we they worship no b school my pple.
mehn Broz,dis Ya gist no hold water O!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 11:28am On Feb 23, 2010
we may not hav structures but when we talk of d quality of graduate then u mention lasu. i so much respect u.i,o.a.u,a.bu because dey were d 1st set of uni to b establish in nig. we may not b d best due to d fact dat u.i,lag, o.a.u et al al were created b 4 it ,but we ar among d 1st 10 top sch in nig
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 11:45am On Feb 23, 2010
keismail:

If u like go hell because of your human ranking univ.,i finished 4rm oou and less than 1yr now i ve been employed by one bank here,so 4 m oou is d best univ all over d world,take it or not.May b if i attend any of your so called,i may not get d opportunity.Well pray 4 God 2 give u better job,because here na certificate we they worship no b school my pple.
mehn Broz,dis Ya gist no hold water O!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by otokx(m): 11:52am On Feb 23, 2010
University of Ilorin and Ahmadu Bello University have been largely unaffected by any form of industrial dispute and so have been quite apart from the rest. Currently they are the only two universities to have paid the new salary package to their staff, unlike the rest which are on the verge of another round of crisis.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by seyibobo(m): 12:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
hhhhmmm!
Grow up guys,
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Amigoz(f): 1:01pm On Feb 23, 2010
seyibobo:

hhhhmmm!
Grow up guys,

Only if they skul @ Unilorin cheesy tongue
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by chelseabmw(m): 2:14pm On Feb 23, 2010
where is ambrose alli university? shocked
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by eherbal(m): 3:06pm On Feb 23, 2010
unilorin kini?lol ;d
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Matin: 3:38pm On Feb 23, 2010
Forget the ranting about the beauty or size of school. Just like Banks, many of the so called 1st generation Universities only rely on past glory. cry cry I have seen many Unis in Nigeria and i can specically tell u that Unilorin is very good in Engineering as O.A.U. is in Pharmacy. cool cool

Honestly, i've seen many guys that were frustrated out of Unilorin who later became local champions in UI & Unilag. tongue tongue Have u ever wondered why Unilorin never produced more than two 1st class at her convocation. U think the over 2000 graduants were not comparable to those 1st class some Unis produced. Go run a programme there, and u will come back to tell tales. shocked

I always knew that a day of glory will come and the World know the haven of knowledge called Unilorin. (Probitas Doctrina) Greateeeeeeeeeeest Unilorites!!!! cheesy cheesy cool cool
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by nas00(m): 3:43pm On Feb 23, 2010
keismail:

^^ Oun ti eye ba je l'eye maa gbe fo. Congrats on ur unspecified bank job. Considering u finished from OSU (OOU), u could as well be a bullion driver for all i care grin grin grin
With due respect to OSU, LASU, UNILORIN et al, when it comes to the meat of the issue (face-to-face/ 1-on-1), products of UI, OAU, UNILAG will ALWAYS represent. It's a function of the stuff they're made of, no be mouth.
So, for every 1 OSU product employed in every reasonable organization, 6-10 products of UI, OAU etc have been employed.
Gaskiya! tongue
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by dayokanu(m): 5:49pm On Feb 23, 2010
I schooled in Nigeria did my NYSC in Nigeria and worked in Nigeria for a while.

Let anyone dispute this 70% of UNILORIN students were first rejected at UI, OAU, UNILAG UNN or ABU and they settled for second best.

That students from UNILORIN dont make first class means exactly what? Either the quality of students are low or the teaching staff are wacked.

I worked at a top bank where 50 ppl were inducted at the time I entered. 35 were from either UI, OAU and UNILAG

I worked at a top multinational consulting firm in Nigeria, where 23 ppl were in orientation with me.  17 were from OAU, UI and UNILAG. 3 from UNAD. 

That was why UI reduced her undergraduate intake some years ago- to maintain a high standard of character and learning. Ppl like u were complaining bitterly then. Yet, you gat to be just good to survive your 1st year in UI, or else they send u back to your mama.
Better stop washing your dirty linen here!

Its a know fact in OAU before those Post JAMB days that 50% of students who matriculate end up being sent out after their first year. To Graduate from OAU especially from certain Faculties like Engineering, Pharmarcy, Law, Sciences and some Social Sciences you must have been through Hell and back
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Jarus(m): 6:45pm On Feb 23, 2010
a student from lasu not yet a graduate was d overal best student in ICAN were there not ui unilag lecturers dere wen he clinched d award.

my frend in my dept ( koforowola a 19yrs old lady ) emerge last year d overall in ICAN ATS exam

If this is the criteria for measuring the greatness of a school, and it may also be part of the criteria, then Ife has this in abundance too.

In all humility, within my circle of friends alone in Ife, we had two students who were overall best ICAN students(Nov 2004 diet) when we were just in year 3, and Nov 2006, shortly after we graduated. And this big-headed Jarus followed suit two diets later, also clinching an overall prize in one of the stages. This is not to mention the many other class mates, room mates and other Ife friends that clinched one prize or the other almost every diet.

Oya, come up with another criteria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU / 18 Things People who attended UNILAG can completely relate To / Courses That Might Turn Your Passion Into Compassion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.