Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,358 members, 7,967,945 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 01:18 PM

Opomulero (pillar) - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Opomulero (pillar) (482 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opomulero (pillar) by lalaponcus(m): 9:32am On Aug 22, 2017
OPOMULERO (PILLAR)

Mi o ni oke sanmo bi kii se iwo
Ajanaku gidi ko no oke sanmo miran bi kii se

We both dressed for battle.
Putting on the war regalia that had faded from numerous battles fought;
Putting the 'etu' gunpowder into the gun while hoping it would not cease to shoot in the midst of battle;
For a weapon like that, which had not been properly oiled, could fail the user in battle.

The other warrior prepared more than me.

He gingerly placed a live tortoise around his neck.
A weapon that ensured that the bullets of the enemy bounced off his chest like the blows of Rey Mysterio bounces off the chests of the great Khali.

He also swallowed two tiny gourds without wincing.
A weapon which he fully intended to unleash fire upon any unfortunate man that crossed his path in battle.
For his patron god, Sango, was the keeper of gourds.

He also quickly killed the oka 'cobra' that was nearby.
Violent twisting its neck with his bare hands and later extracting its venom.
A liquid, he licked three times while maintaining a straight face.
The venom was to serve the purpose of command.
As he would be able to command any opposing 'omo ogun' (man of war) to shoot himself or go down like the stocks of Barcelona will if they dare to sell Messi.
The venom was from his patron goddess, Oya, the goddess of deception.

The warrior also hit his pregnant wife with a deadly charm and slaughtered her.
Maintaining an indifferent look as he removed her half formed fetus with his bare hands.
An act which showed that he had personally pounded his conscience and thrown away the remains in the deepest part of the sea.

He prepared the fetus into a sacrificial meal for Esu odara
Esu, the black statue in the center of his shrine, accepted the meal and filled a calabash nearby with a black paste.
A paste which the warrior rubbed on his 'opa ase' staff of authority before heading into battle.
A staff which would provide a quick transport to the afterlife to everyone the warrior hits.

Ah!
The warrior was fully ready for battle.
I, on the other hand, placed my safety in a man called Jesus.

We met in the battle that afternoon.

Myself sweating and breathing heavily from much strenght alereadt expended during the battle.
Himself merely swaggered leisurely towards me for he had encountered no real challenge.

"Ile agboko yeri alapo ika. Iwo ni mo pe. Wa je mi loni"
The warrior said as he invoked the ground to open up and swallow the man that dared to 'gbe ija wo ile ekun' (take the fight into a lion's den).

"Lakaye osinmole, olo mi ni le, o tun fi eje we, wa da mi lohun ni oni"
The warrior said as he fired his gun twice in quick succession to take down the man that had dared to bring an ordinary catapult into a fight of AK -47s.

"Laalu ogiri oko, abaniworan ba rida, olokiki oru, eniyan sun ekun, laroye n sun eje. Wa je mi ni ipe loni o"
The warrior said as he hit me with his opa ase.
Hoping to quickly dispatch the duck which had dared to step forward when Edumare asked for animals with the fiercest teeth.

I slowly fell as the wave of the spells hit me.
For sudden invincible hands hoisted me with the intent of smashing me to the ground.

A wicked smile spread across the warrior's face
For he thought that he had me.

Alas.
A cog appeared in his wheel for the first time ever.
A greater power met his blows with a ferocity that shocked the warrior.

Beeni
My Jesus helped me stand and overcome everything that the warrior flung at me.
#BASHORUN

Okontas.com

Mbe si na ibu bụ nke ya, ya mere o ji kwọrọ ya na-azụ
– The tortoise says that the luggage belongs to him that
is why he caries it on his back.

(1) (Reply)

Soul In Anguish / My Christmas Rant! / My Mother: A Witch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.