Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,040 members, 7,890,414 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:43 PM

ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy (14307 Views)

FG: ASUU Can’t Claim University Autonomy, While Still Funded By Us / IPPIS: We Will Protect University Autonomy With Our Blood – ASUU Vows / University Autonomy And Good Governance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by newslifeop: 8:04am On Aug 28, 2017
Hmmm
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by sirkkayye(m): 8:09am On Aug 28, 2017
ASUU abeg na please and more please also please I don old for sch

Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by rezy15(m): 8:10am On Aug 28, 2017
I must say am really impressed by this write up. I lecture in a university and I must state that the Op is spot on on most issues. The fact is the govt and ASUU have cases to answer. Sometimes even when funding is released in the form of tetfund it is grossly underassessed or in most cases politically allocated. I must also state that not all lecturers receive bribes and charge for handouts. I think that is an unfair basis for generalization. Students also share a portion of the blame. You don't need ASUU to strike to claim what you deserve and paid for! Under equipped labs, poor lecture halls, don't get me started on lecturer intimidation. I attended abu and I must state lecturers dared not harass or charge students for handouts! The university system is dying! Its time we trim the system and boost efficiency rather than build more universities. If I get fired to save the system so be it! Our old profs are the bulk of our problem today. Ego over nothing is a key issue. No clear cut ideology and goals in depts and no motivation to seek grants and carry others along

5 Likes

Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by aod1(m): 8:10am On Aug 28, 2017
Very insightful and enlightening.... The government should demand those benchmark from ASUU and see their response
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by setelity: 8:16am On Aug 28, 2017
Stupid ASUU
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by rezy15(m): 8:17am On Aug 28, 2017
martineverest:
This thieves are asking for total exemption from TSA..... Just imagine how fees have been reduced after implemention of TSA... Most of Our lecturers are thieves
With all due respect research for facts lecturers don't take your money. The only reason lecturers asked for exemption is because with TSA visiting lecturers to other federal universities can't be paid because their account will be flagged. Bvn complicated payments as it will be seen as double payment under the payment system. Same with part-time lecturers

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by proffemi: 8:23am On Aug 28, 2017
Statsocial:
Nukilla ASUU isn't entirely the problem. Some gains we have made in higher education is because of the strikes that ASUU has embarked on.

To be able to generate funds from research you need the equipment and facility that would make you attract those grants.

Let me give you an example of my own school. Prior to 2011, I am not sure anyone really talked about improving igr from research grants because our labs(in biological sciences) were the usual traditional laboratories(e.g microbiology, biochemistry lab e.t.c) you would find in OAU or UI but better equipped.

When the Living Faith Church then granted CU about 500 million naira to equip a molecular lab. It was then i knew Nigerian lecturers are brilliant. We started having numerous grants from countries.

...So now Oyedepo can actually have the audacity to say "go find igr from research" since they have given the school the facility, equipment, electricity e.t.c

Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 28, 2017
theSpark:
Endowments and grants from the private sector would have made sense but as the writer alluded ASUU are not ready to be accountable. Besides TETFund recently accused from lecturers of mismanaging research grants and collecting funds for conferences they would not attend.
You are absolutely correct. The TET fund utilization in most universities is an eyesore
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by Lionhearted: 8:24am On Aug 28, 2017
jayriginal:

And what's wrong with that?

Nothing, especially when earned.
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by wildchild02: 8:25am On Aug 28, 2017
Initial gra gra

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION.
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 28, 2017
Y am I in this country? Somebody Pls answer me.

You did not just speak well but u enlightened d living hell out of me.

No wonder OBJ said restructuring should start with us first before the country at large.

I can imagine what ASUU would give back in return if their demand is met.

Good morning fellas!
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by clevadani: 8:29am On Aug 28, 2017
Most of these lecturers are as useless as our government. All they know is book, they don't know how to use the book to solve our various problems. We have so many professors of engineering, but they can't think of creative ways of solving our power problem. Lazy set of people.
All they do is sell handouts, some of them don't know how to teach. And they are lecturers because they didn't get jobs after graduation.
And until all the children of government officials are compelled to enrol their children in our institutions, our educational system will continue to suffer.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by joyandfaith: 8:42am On Aug 28, 2017
HAH:
If I were the president I would privatised all the university management while the structures remains governments and give students scholarship from the money the government is suppose to pay as salaries and allowance to the lecturers, thereby making them work like in private universities

ASUU should then deal with its management not government. Greedy men

Since the structure is owned by government, the management can charge let's say 200k per student, then the government can pay for tuition through scholarship board it can even be based on performance like 50% for all students, 75% for those with 3.50 and above and 100% for those with 4.00 and above.

Assuming the tuition is 200k per student, 1billion can pay for 5000 students, so 100 billion can pay for 500k students

You have spoken correctly.
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by joyandfaith: 8:50am On Aug 28, 2017
rezy15:

With all due respect research for facts lecturers don't take your money. The only reason lecturers asked for exemption is because with TSA visiting lecturers to other federal universities can't be paid because their account will be flagged. Bvn complicated payments as it will be seen as double payment under the payment system. Same with part-time lecturers

not true. I asked an accountant working in a research institute. he said with TSA and ipps, visiting lecturers can be paid without their account being flagged. there is provision for that in ipps and TSA. ASUU is just playing politics.
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by Nad95: 9:05am On Aug 28, 2017
Lionhearted:
Yes our professors need to be well remunerated, and ASUU also need to be realistic. Some of their demands are simply impossible.

Full autonomy and 100% funding from government? They better look for Santa elsewhere.

If not for the students I will say let the schools be shut down for 2 years. Two years without salaries will reset their brain in this hard time.

I agree with you 100%
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by jamace(m): 9:06am On Aug 28, 2017
Citadel of corruption. Citadel of man know man. shiooor! angry
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by texazzpete(m): 9:19am On Aug 28, 2017
hedonistic:
Nigerian lecturers have always been an arrogant bunch with a misplaced and grossly exaggerated sense of entitlement and delusion of self-importance.

I encounter them often, prancing about with a chip on their shoulders, expecting everyone to bow before them because they are "Dr" this or "professor" that, and expecting to earn mammoth salaries for the reason that they are "intellectuals". They are quick to remind you that "ordinary" local government councilors earn xyz, while undeserving National Assembly members earn xxyyzz, so that should justifiably earn multiples of that.

Seriously, these characters need to be put in their place. Most of them are incompetent hacks anyway, with much of their research papers highly plagiarised or full of inconsequential gibberish, while their impact on their students is close to zero - rehashing outdated theories and spending much of their time in class massaging their own egos rather than imparting any knowledge on their hapless students.

So why don't you take up an appointment as a lecturer so you can 'show them how it's done'?
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by elhafeez(m): 9:24am On Aug 28, 2017
Nigerian Universities are one of the most corrupt institutions in Nigeria. what do they do with their IGR? One point we must understand is that quality university education doesnt come cheap.
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by texazzpete(m): 9:37am On Aug 28, 2017
While the article does make some good points, it's worth noting that University Autonomy isn't exactly the highest on ASUU's list of demands. Funding is.

IMHO, Nigerian Universities are criminally underfunded. Lecturers are severely underpaid and their welfare is not given the priority it deserves.
Part of the blame must rest on the shoulders of Nigerian students who see this rot first hand, yet keep quiet and expect their lecturers to toil in silence. You see the dilapidated infrastructure, the rotting laboratories etc and say nothing. Unfortunately, it seems the main contribution of most Nigerian students to this dilemma is to lambast ASUU anytime they go on strike.

Financial autonomy is not the solution. Unless, of course, people are ready to see school fees rise to nearly the level of the Private universities.

Perhaps this may be for the best. Perhaps Nigerian parents and students would be more invested in making sure our universities work when fees of around 400k per year are levied.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by mikolo80: 9:38am On Aug 28, 2017
Zeze06:
"accountability" not privatization

privatisation of universities will be the worst thing that can happen to Nigeria...

Because school fees will be very high and not affordable (how many can parents can afford private university education, covenant for example...)

ASUU is definitely greedy, but there has to be a body to put them on check, and ensure it implements all the agreements made with the federal govt...

school fees are high in America yet anyone can afford it.
must everyone go to university?
nobody can check ASUU.
they're civil servant and Nigeria signed a bad contract with them
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by mikolo80: 9:42am On Aug 28, 2017
HAH:
If I were the president I would privatised all the university management while the structures remains governments and give students scholarship from the money the government is suppose to pay as salaries and allowance to the lecturers, thereby making them work like in private universities

ASUU should then deal with its management not government. Greedy men

Since the structure is owned by government, the management can charge let's say 200k per student, then the government can pay for tuition through scholarship board it can even be based on performance like 50% for all students, 75% for those with 3.50 and above and 100% for those with 4.00 and above.

Assuming the tuition is 200k per student, 1billion can pay for 5000 students, so 100 billion can pay for 500k students
nice one but what about corruption as usual
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by lorhema(f): 9:53am On Aug 28, 2017
rezy15:

No, not so. TSA has not affected the payments of visiting lecturers to other federal universities. Neither has the BVN. Perhaps there are other reasons for requesting the exemption.
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by sageb: 12:14pm On Aug 28, 2017
Wow! Quite educative
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by Jasomine: 11:35am On Aug 29, 2017
Our universities have no funding problem to say the truth. The problem is corruption and mismanagement - from academic staff, non academic staff, the technologists to the VC. From the University to TETFund, NUC, Ministries to National Assembly. The whole system is ridden of corruption. Have you noticed the battle for the office of VC. Why do you think being a Vice Chancellor of a federal university has now become a community battle?
Re: ASUU: Be Ready For Financial Autonomy If You Want University Autonomy by ELECTCHIBU(m): 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2017
True talk

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? / Former Acting Oau Vc Remanded In Custody / Jamb Devises New Measures To Detect Malpractices In 2017 UTME ( Anti-cheating)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.