Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,631 members, 7,975,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 04:46 AM

Handling Rejection In Your Job Search - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Handling Rejection In Your Job Search (394 Views)

How I Rose From Rejection To Pinnacle Of Impact—celebrity Carpenter, Moses / Man Sets Himself Ablaze In Gombe Over Buhari's Rejection Of Peace Corps Bill / Guys, Never Look This Way If You Want To Keep Your Job In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Handling Rejection In Your Job Search by BusinessInsider: 11:59am On Aug 30, 2017
I think this is a very timely article for anyone feeling down/ frustrated in the job search journey. Read more at http://www.thecareertimes.com/handling-rejection-in-your-job-search/

If there is one thing that most job seekers have in common, it is the experience of rejection. And it comes in various forms. Whether it is not hearing back from recruiters after submitting a CV, or getting a rejection email or phone call after an interview, rejection results in the same feeling – one of self-doubt, deflation and anxiety over if a job offer will ever materialise.

Having had what I would consider to be my fair share of this in the time that I have searched for jobs, and having had the privilege of sitting on both ends of the interview table, there are a number of things I know now, which would have been of great benefit had I known them when I first started out in the job market.

1. Understand that rejection is part of the job search journey

Don’t take it personally. When you get that rejection email, your first thought is “there is something wrong with me”. But you’re most likely wrong. Given that several applicants often compete for the same job role, there is a possibility that although you had the right background and delivered a strong performance, someone else applied who was an even better fit for the role. As long as you constantly put your best foot forward in both your CV and your interview, it is just a question of time before the role that you are the perfect fit for comes along.

2. Seize the opportunity to improve

While you may not be to blame for not being the most qualified candidate for a particular role, with each rejection comes the opportunity to analyse what went wrong, if any. If you believe you were suitably qualified for the role, ask yourself: did your CV reflect this? Did you give your interview your best shot or are there things you think you could have done differently? Are there certain skills you didn’t have, which you can seize the opportunity to learn?

In some cases, employers are happy to give feedback to candidates so, if you get the chance to communicate with the recruiter, don’t be afraid to ask for feedback that they think may be helpful to you in your job search journey.

3. Move on as quickly as possible

When we get turned down for a role we realy liked, it is natural to keep thinking about what went wrong or what could have, would have or should have been. However, whilst it is okay to reflect on what could be improved upon, it is important to move on from negative thoughts as quickly as possible, and focus your energy on securing and aceing that next interview.

4. Understand that one recruiter’s perspective is not all recruiters’ perspectives

Sometimes, employers make wrong hiring decisions. Not all recruiters have the ability to exercise sound judgment. So, don’t get discouraged from making applications for similar roles to other companies if you believe that you have the right skills and competencies. Whilst you certainly should take on board any feedback provided by the recruiter, remember that this is the view of one employer based on their own unique circumstances and not the views of all employerss.

5. Stay Positive

While it’s easier said than done, staying positive after rejection is one of the best and the fastest ways to land another role. When you receive that rejection email or call, thank the recruiter gracefully and and let them know that you would be grateful if they could consider you for future opportunities that you may be suited for.

Don’t carry the baggage from your last rejection into the rest of your job search, as this could negatively impact your future performance. Rather, remember that most employed people faced one or several rejections at some point before landing their jobs and you too, will land your job soon. Focus on improving your job search and interview performance, read books to increase your knowledge and keep you motivated, find a hobby that adds value to society and can be listed on your CV, and keep improving your skills by attending courses that advance your career, many of which are available online, for free.

And remember…

Thomas Edison, who invented the light bulb, had been told by his teachers at school that he was “too stupid to learn anything”. But he didn’t let that deter him. By focusing on his goal with determination, he became a huge success. After several hundreds or thousands of trials and failures, he finally succeeded at creating the light bulb.

(1) (Reply)

Can't Post In The Business And Investment Section / Nigerian Navy 27 Rating Cadre / Choosing The Right Measurement Instrument : Tips To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.