Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,372 members, 7,910,873 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 06:51 PM

Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims (780 Views)

Prophet Jeremiah Takes Succour To Flood Victims In Delta, Bayelsa, Anambra, Kogi / Prophet Christian Shola Gives Succour To Flood Victims In Niger Delta / Port Harcourt Pastor Attempts Suicide, Says His Church Has 15 Members Since 2000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by urahara(m): 5:15pm On Aug 30, 2017
Live TV

Story highlights
"Lakewood's doors are open," Joel Osteen tweeted
Osteen and church had come under criticism for not being open to flood victims
(CNN) The megachurch led by Joel Osteen is receiving people who need shelter and also helping evacuees with supplies such as baby food, formula and other shelter needs, the church announced via Twitter Tuesday morning.

Lakewood Church was under fire after apparently not opening up the church to flood victims. The church disputed online criticism, stating "we are prepared to shelter people once the cities and county shelters reach capacity."

"Victoria and I care deeply about our fellow Houstonians. Lakewood's doors are open and we are receiving anyone who needs shelter," Osteen tweeted Tuesday, referencing his wife who is also Lakewood's co-pastor.

Opinion: Osteen's Harvey excuses are bogus

On Monday, a few hundred people arrived to the church in buses, Donald Iloff, church spokesman, told CNN's Erin Burnett.

Lakewood Church, which was founded by Osteen's father in the 1950s, had posted on social media Monday that the venue was "inaccessible due to severe flooding" following Hurricane Harvey, which has been downgraded to a tropical storm.

Photos provided by the church showed standing water in hallways and the parking lot. The church already had a flood wall in place following a previous storm. The church occupies the former home of the NBA's Houston Rockets.

Iloff said there were safety concerns about potential flooding. The bottom floor of the building flooded eight feet during Tropical Storm Alison in 2001 and they had safety concerns of what might happen if they sheltered people in the building, he said.

"When it floods, it floods in a torrent. And it floods quickly. We installed flood gates, but you know, you have to have a lot of faith in those if you are going to put a lot of people into the building.

"So we had concerns, you know. From the very beginning as far as the safety of people in this building and that was too great a concern for us," he said.

Many on social media had blasted the church for not taking people in.

"The Twitter critics don't determine who we are or what we do," Iloff said in response to the scathing social media's opinions. "We're going to act as we should act. They have nothing to do with our mission."

The church also disputed the backlash.

"We have never closed our doors. We will continue to be a distribution center for those in need," according to a statement from Lakewood Church.

At least several hundred people can be housed on the second floor of the church, Iloff said.

The area around the church flooded on Monday, Iloff said, and at least three people had come that day to the church for help before they were taken to the George Brown Convention Center.

Houston officials continue to field calls from flood-stranded Texans. Thousands have been rescued since Harvey made landfall on Friday, many are still waiting to picked up.

Nine people have died as a result of the catastrophic storm.
Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by Kowor(f): 5:23pm On Aug 30, 2017
If people hadn't complained he wouldn't have. Anyway better to be late than........

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by Ken4Christ: 12:28am On Aug 31, 2017
These frequent flooding should remind all that the end has come. Just give your life to Jesus and be ready for his coming.

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by CAPSLOCKED: 10:02am On Aug 31, 2017
Ken4Christ:
These frequent flooding should remind all that the end has come. Just give your life to Jesus and be ready for his coming.

WHAT RECENT FLOODING?

BECAUSE YOU'RE CHRISTIAN YOU DON'T KNOW SCIENCE NOR SIMPLE BASIC BIOLOGY, YOU CHOOSE RELIGIOUS BOOKS OVER HISTORY AND FACTS. THAT'S WHY YOU THINK THESE DISASTERS STARTED YESTERDAY AND YOUR BIBLE PREDICTIONS ARE ACCURATE. DO YOU KNOW THERE WAS A TIME OF VOLCANO ERUPTIONS, TSUNAMIS AND LIMNIC ERUPTIONS? YET THE EARTH IS STILL STANDING.

TRULY THE END IS NEAR.
THE END OF IGNORANCE AND LACK OF KNOWLEDGE IS NEAR.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by Ken4Christ: 6:26pm On Aug 31, 2017
CAPSLOCKED:

WHAT RECENT FLOODING?

BECAUSE YOU'RE CHRISTIAN YOU DON'T KNOW SCIENCE NOR SIMPLE BASIC BIOLOGY, YOU CHOOSE RELIGIOUS BOOKS OVER HISTORY AND FACTS. THAT'S WHY YOU THINK THESE DISASTERS STARTED YESTERDAY AND YOUR BIBLE PREDICTIONS ARE ACCURATE. DO YOU KNOW THERE WAS A TIME OF VOLCANO ERUPTIONS, TSUNAMIS AND LIMNIC ERUPTIONS? YET THE EARTH IS STILL STANDING.

TRULY THE END IS NEAR.
THE END OF IGNORANCE AND LACK OF KNOWLEDGE IS NEAR.

Yes, I agree that disaster in any form didn't start today but I am specific about that caused by flood.

God used flood to destroy the world during Noah's time when only eight souls were saved. After the encounter, he entered into a covenant with Noah that he will not allow rainfall to produce floods that will destroy lives and properties the way it did. And he placed a rainbow as a token of the covenant.

You will agree with me that we don't see rainbows as frequent as we used to. Sometimes, not even once throughout the raining season. And even when it appears, it is not as bright as it used to. This is a pointer to the fact that the end of this age is near. I don't mean the end of this world but this dispensation of grace.

You can't compare the knowledge that comes through science to Revelation knowledge. Revelation knowledge is higher than science. There are things that science cannot tell you but only God's word can.

Science cannot tell you how the world began. It only guessed and the guess is as good as wrong. Science cannot tell you the first two men on earth. Only the Bible did.

Science cannot tell the differences between spirit and soul but the word of God can.

Science cannot explain how water that no ingredient was added can turn into wine.

Science cannot explain how a man totally blind can receive his sight back.

Science cannot explain where man goes to after death but the world of God revealed it to us.

Even before science discovered that the earth was spherical, it was already revealed in the Bible.

Science cannot know more than God who created all things by the word of his power.

Science cannot even find God or locate where heaven is. Science is good but God's word is our guiding light in all life related issues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by CAPSLOCKED: 6:41pm On Aug 31, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Yes, I agree that disaster in any form didn't start today but I am specific about that caused by flood.

God used flood to destroy the world during Noah's time when only eight souls were saved.
After the encounter, he entered into a covenant with Noah that he will not allow rainfall to produce floods that will destroy lives and properties the way it did. And he placed a rainbow as a token of the covenant.

You will agree with me that we don't see rainbows as frequent as we used to. Sometimes, not even once throughout the raining season. And even when it appears, it is not as bright as it used to. This is a pointer to the fact that the end of this age is near. I don't mean the end of this world but this dispensation of grace.

You can't compare the knowledge that comes through science to Revelation knowledge. Revelation knowledge is higher than science. There are things that science cannot tell you but only God's word can.

Science cannot tell you how the world began. It only guessed and the guess is as good as wrong. Science cannot tell you the first two men on earth. Only the Bible did.

Science cannot tell the differences between spirit and soul but the word of God can.

Science cannot explain how water that no ingredient was added can turn into wine.

Science cannot explain where man goes to after death but the world of God revealed it to us.

Even before science discovered that the earth was spherical, it was already revealed in the Bible.

Science cannot know more than God who created all things by the word of his power.

Science cannot even find God or locate where heaven is. Science is good but God's word is our guiding light in all life related issues.

I READ ALL YOUR "JUNK" AND YOU SOUND REALLY UNAWARE OF THE WIDE SPACE BETWEEN A TRUE EVENT AND FICTION.

DO YOU SEE THE PART I HIGHLIGHTED ABOVE?
IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE THE NOAH STORY (WHICH IS THE MOST ABSURD IN THE ENTIRE BIBLE) THEN BRO.. YOU'RE ON THE FASTEST WAVE OF DELUSION.

2 Likes

Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by CAPSLOCKED: 11:20pm On Aug 31, 2017

God used flood to destroy the world during Noah's time when only eight souls were saved. After the encounter, he entered into a covenant with Noah that he will not allow rainfall to produce floods that will destroy lives and properties the way it did. And he placed a rainbow as a token of the covenant.

I DECIDED TO QUOTE THIS AGAIN, WITHOUT YOUR MONIKER THIS TIME, SO THAT PEOPLE CAN HAVE ONE MORE LAUGH AT THIS DISAPPOINTMENT BEFORE THEY CALL IT A DAY. grin

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by Ken4Christ: 12:16am On Sep 01, 2017
CAPSLOCKED:

I READ ALL YOUR "JUNK" AND YOU SOUND REALLY UNAWARE OF THE WIDE SPACE BETWEEN A TRUE EVENT AND FICTION.

DO YOU SEE THE PART I HIGHLIGHTED ABOVE?
IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE THE NOAH STORY (WHICH IS THE MOST ABSURD IN THE ENTIRE BIBLE) THEN BRO.. YOU'RE ON THE FASTEST WAVE OF DELUSION.

If you don't believe it, then you are plagued with the spirit of unbelief. And it is the worst state to be in life. I will not be surprised to hear you say that Jesus never existed. The Bible says, the unbelieving will have their parts in the lake of fire. Then it will be too late and you will remember this conversation.

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by CAPSLOCKED: 11:37am On Sep 01, 2017
Ken4Christ:

If you don't believe it, then you are plagued with the spirit of unbelief. And it is the worst state to be in life. I will not be surprised to hear you say that Jesus never existed. The Bible says, the unbelieving will have their parts in the lake of fire. Then it will be too late and you will remember this conversation.

QUOTE ME AGAIN IN THE YEAR THAT YOU'VE READ BOOKS OTHER THAN THE BIBLE.
Re: Joel Osteen Says Church Has Opened Doors To Flood Victims by Ken4Christ: 11:43pm On Sep 01, 2017
CAPSLOCKED:

QUOTE ME AGAIN IN THE YEAR THAT YOU'VE READ BOOKS OTHER THAN THE BIBLE.

I am a university graduate of 1990. Which books do you want me to read. Please recommend them to me.

(1) (Reply)

The Full Explanation Of The Number 666 Found In The Book Of Revelation / i / Happy Christ The King Celebration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.