Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,891 members, 7,889,943 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 04:38 AM

Negative Trends In The Banking Industry In Nigeria. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Negative Trends In The Banking Industry In Nigeria. (518 Views)

Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? / How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? / Massive Job Loss Looms In The Banking Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Negative Trends In The Banking Industry In Nigeria. by abubakardanjuma: 7:47pm On Aug 30, 2017
It's pathetic that the banking sector of this country has turned to be a career killer and the painful thing about it is that the industry is bigger than the law of the land when it comes to policies guiding the well being of their employees. From experience, I see this sector as one of the most corrupt place where the likes of EFCC, ICPC and other concerned regulators should visit and overhaul especially Firstbank of Nigeria limited, Not just for employees welfare alone but there are many serious shady business deals that are being done in banks on daily basis.

Gone are those days when people have high regards for Bankers, those days when banking is a carrier for individuals to join and retire as a Banker. This days it is rear to find someone who started the banking career and retire in it. The common trend in that industry in this generation is for bank to terminate or disengage their staff in the middle of their career, they dash employees' hope, they get them cut off at the time they have used the better part of the employees energy, intellect and time. It's usually very difficult for affected employee to get another job at the time bank sack them because age may no longer be on their side just like my case and many other who have just been affected last week even as the retrenchment is still spreading on like wild fire.
At Age 23 I joined first Bank as a contract staff, with high level of hard labour and unfair treatment, with much ambition to becoming a core staff of the bank one day I professional and happily discharged my duties, in fact in many occasions some of the newly employed staffs are always attached to me, to benefit from the wealth of my experience.
Haven worked for 4years I applied for the conversion exercise but all my effort has proved abortive. I can vividly say that the total number of contract staffs at first put together will be more than 5000, out of this number those who have benefited from this conversation exercise are not more than 30 contract staffs who may have been favoured based on their connections. But it's so surprising that each year first Bank keeps employing fresh graduate whom they always attached to us to train them and leaving us behind.
In their usual way of inhuman treatment last week, I and many others contract staffs of Firstbank who have served the bank for 6years were shown our way out of the bank claiming we are getting too old for the job they need to inject younger ones into the system whom they will use and dump.
As I write with tears on my eyes thinking of were I can start from since the best part of my life has been drained and used by Firstbank, the list for the retrenchment is still very long, as about 300 contract staffs were also disengaged on the 26th August 2017. I wonder what will be the future of those they're even employing now since they don't have career plan for their contract staff, something they won't even mention to you at the onset and at that, you are made work like an elephant when you get in but feed like an ant. They take people they have wasted their youthful age and bring in others at the same level just to make it clear it's not just because of the pay. Worst of it all is that the people they disengaged are not well compensated, they just give you a hundred and fifty thousand naira. That is what you get for more than six to nine years of hard labour in the bank. And it's not as if you get any other incentive apart from your take home, meanwhile they share profits and performance pay which you helped them achieve every year without looking your side.
I wish the government and even the law makers should look into this seriously. Labour should also take this serious. This kind of wicked act should not be allowed to continue anymore in this country, especially in this recession period as this will impact negatively in the society.
Re: Negative Trends In The Banking Industry In Nigeria. by afoife: 5:08am On Aug 31, 2017
This is so disheartening. can't you guys get together and stage a protest at your head office in Lagos. start a watsap group get everyone together sue them. Do something am really hurting over this issue .

It is even more painful that NLanders are silent over this.

I appeal to the MODS this should go to FP cos this is our voice

(1) (Reply)

Seminar : Learn From Alabi Nairabet, Mankind Naijaloaded And Others! Register. / 2017 Ranking 100 Most Influential Young Nigerians See List / Guitar Lessons From Experienced Guitar Tutor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.