Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,121 members, 7,943,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 01:08 AM

Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp (626 Views)

Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only / Ubuntu Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 23, 2010
Pls i recently installed linux ubuntu on my hp compaq and i don't really like it,now i want to change it to xp but when i try to reboot,it tells me no hard disk drive installed.what can i do
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 23, 2010
Pls anyone who can help me out should pls assist me,i'm out of ideas
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 23, 2010
where the hell did they get that UBUNTU name from. was it designed for Africans?
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:33pm On Feb 23, 2010
no, actually it was designed for human beings! i dont know if in your own village, africans count as humans. dundee.

is your hard drive SATA? if it is, u need a copy of xp sp3 or vista or win7

thats why it says it cant find the drive. but personally, are you sure that pc belongs to you? becos it takes a lot for a noob to sole boot ubuntu on his pc, then decide he doesnt like it and wants to remove it, what were you thinking before? considering that most folks actually dualboot it and windows at first!

besides, did you install it on your own? if u truly did, how come u know nothing about your hardware? it didnt come with ubuntu so how come? what os was on it before?

hmmmn, well sha O.Y.O
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 23, 2010
Yes i did it on my own,i ordered for it,i just got the system it came with vista,so can u guys help me?
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 23, 2010
Yes i did it on my own,i ordered for it,i just got the system it came with vista,so can u guys help me?
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by texazzpete(m): 4:23pm On Feb 23, 2010
4llerbuntu:

are you sure that pc belongs to you? becos it takes a lot for a noob to sole boot ubuntu on his pc, then decide he doesnt like it and wants to remove it,

So you're saying Ubuntu isn't 'noob' friendly?

4llerbuntu:

besides, did you install it on your own? if u truly did, how come u know nothing about your hardware? it didnt come with ubuntu so how come? what os was on it before?

Where did you get the idea that he knows nothing about his hardware? Isnt it the whole point of a decent OS that you can just stick in the install CD and get a working OS install in 30 mins? Especially if you aren't doing any fancy dual booting.

You seem all too eager to make these assumptions about the fellow.
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:38pm On Feb 23, 2010
^^ dude u need to get off my case! are you stalking me? haha!

i thot it sounded too pat, it was either the dude actually nows little, or he was trying to be clever, havent u seen people giving stories of how they forgot their system password?
well since the guy confirms he is a noob and he managed to get ubuntu on his system on his own etc, i think that answers your questions. lay off this winblows/linux thingy its stale jare!

@ poster, what happened is that your laptop comes with a fancy technology called SATA hard drive. it supposed to be better than the older IDE drives. windows xp was made at a time when such was not yet in existence hence the xp cd cannot 'see' the drive.

you have two options, 1 go into the bios of your laptop (do that by pressing f2 or f10 aint sure which it is on hp this days)
then poke round and see if there is a place u can disable sata there, disable it and save. after it reboots u r xp cd will 'see' the drive. u can then install. i hope you have your drivers cd handy or did u format the recovery partition along with the vista?

if you cannot disable the sata, then you need to get a vista or win7 cd, id recommend windows 7, vista is and was a nightmare for me! anyway, that one will 'see' and install ok on the pc! if u insist on XP then u need an underground Xp cd called xp service pack 3 (am not sure windows ever released sp3 on a cd) that one has SATA drivers in it and will be able to see the drive too.

cheers! remember DRIVERS O!!!!
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2010
^^^^

this annoying child tongue
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by texazzpete(m): 7:32pm On Feb 23, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

this annoying child tongue

My thoughts exactly
4llerbuntu:

^^ dude u need to get off my case! are you stalking me? haha!

i thot it sounded too pat, it was either the dude actually nows little, or he was trying to be clever, havent u seen people giving stories of how they forgot their system password?
well since the guy confirms he is a noob and he managed to get ubuntu on his system on his own etc, i think that answers your questions. lay off this winblows/linux thingy its stale jare!

My comments had nothing to do with windows/linux and everything to do with your snarky reply to the fellow, asking him if he was the real owner of the laptop.

It takes absolutely no effort to install Ubuntu in a single boot method for a newbie. Just put in the CD and follow the prompts. Why would you express surprise at him 'managing' to install Ubuntu on his own?

Me, stalking you? When last did i respond to any of your posts? Don't give yourself airs, boy.
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:01pm On Feb 23, 2010
yawns. ok uncle oyb and uncle texazzpete ur guns, di*ks and mouths are bigger than mine. can we chill out now? besides i didnt start d thread so y didnt u just answer the guy instead of moi?
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by Nobody: 9:06pm On Feb 23, 2010
uncle oyb and uncle texazzpete your guns, di*ks and mouths are bigger than mine

you forgot the user base of our os of choice tongue
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by PCbusayo(f): 9:13pm On Feb 23, 2010
oyb:

you forgot the user base of our os of choice tongue

lol
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:21pm On Feb 23, 2010
bsides @poster i meant that as a new user who was not conversant wit linux its not usual to just put ubuntu solely on ur pc wham bam. besides i guess u got into the linux movt by interacting wit folks. one thing i knw 4 a fact is we always mention d dual boot thingy just to like give a soft landing. ur d 1st new user i knw who did a sole boot on his only pc! sorry if i sounded off. besides why not partition d drive and dual boot?
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by texazzpete(m): 7:28am On Feb 24, 2010
4llerbuntu:

bsides @poster i meant that as a new user who was not conversant wit linux its not usual to just put ubuntu solely on your pc wham bam. besides i guess u got into the linux movt by interacting wit folks. one thing i knw 4 a fact is we always mention d dual boot thingy just to like give a soft landing. your d 1st new user i knw who did a sole boot on his only pc! sorry if i sounded off. besides why not partition d drive and dual boot?

I guess probably what you said happened: someone convinced him that Ubuntu would run better and faster than his native XP.
He just never realised that the learning curve may be steep for a newbie until he installed it.

Glad you've changed from 'noob' to 'new user'. I hate that word!
Re: Changing Linux Ubuntu To Windows Xp by lynxnoon(m): 11:33am On Feb 24, 2010
hmm UBUNTU vs XP

(1) (Reply)

Do U Have A Fairly Used Laptop / Which Is Faster The Zain Internet Or Visafone Internet / Good Final Year Project Topic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.