Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,721 members, 7,918,224 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 05:42 AM

Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker (6155 Views)

EFCC Seals Borno House Of Assembly, As Hon Members Take To Their Heels - Nationa / War At Benue State House Of Assembly As Lawmakers Exchange Blows / Kebbi Assembly Members Impeach Speaker And Deputy Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by mafioso2(m): 8:14pm On Feb 23, 2010
Caringpro:

IS IT HONORABLE TO FIGHT IN THE HOUSE? I AM ASHAMED  OF OUR POLITICIANS!  embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
For me i guess they all knew that it was coming so they were all Equipped, lol

Hon. Ohonbamu A.K.A Equity should take it easy ooooh This him gra gra/i 2 know no go lead am to no where oooooh, lol
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by empron(m): 11:40pm On Feb 23, 2010
hmmm,naija politician they fight for their own pocket
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by ShadyDeal(m): 8:44am On Feb 24, 2010
Thank God for democracy. We would not have had freedom of speech, freedom of association, and freedom to freely use dangerous weapons on our political opponents.
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by etsunu(m): 9:44am On Feb 24, 2010
In political arena PATIENCE is an effective medication 2 all sorts of ailments. This unfortunate blood bath could not have seen the light of the day if Hon. Omokhodion had exercised patience and represent his motion when ever the house reconvenes. Let the house revert to former status quo before the unfortunate incidence. And for those that attended the plenary session with arms; thorough investigation need to be carried out as this indicates predetermined deliberate actions.
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by DrKnow1(m): 9:55am On Feb 24, 2010
mafioso2:

U are a Bastar.d, Your Fada and Mother Foolish, If you don't av anything to say why can't you just read other people's Comment? Dummy

If you watch the shameful scene you will be too ashamed to show your face as an Edo man
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by ohisng(m): 10:28am On Feb 24, 2010
watched it? I WAS THERE and witnessed it. Honestly if the police cant arrest those with battle axe, tear gas and gavel, then the police has failed
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by oshyno(m): 11:29am On Feb 24, 2010
keskelafio ?
vs 22.keepin ma fingus crossed
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by nex(m): 11:47am On Feb 24, 2010
What Oshiomhole is doing in Edo State is very demonic. Using illegal means to gradually replace anybody that is in government in Edo state and not of his party, the AC.

The man is only doing this to ensure that soon, nobody will be able to question his excesses in government. Unfortunately though we will teach him a lesson that no matter the party affiliation of the Representatives, the people remain the same.

As happens in Lagos where majority of the Representatives are AC, yet they still question Fashola's activities.

Oshiomhole will still be impeached and thrown out of government house by the people he's trying to install because at the end of the day, We The People control the Reps.
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by tolu001: 3:28pm On Feb 24, 2010
this joke called "nigeria" na wire grin
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by ohisng(m): 3:47pm On Feb 24, 2010
@nex- Please lets for now leave oshiomhole out of this and answer these questions-
1. Is it Oshiomhole that told a so called speaker of house to use gavel to break the heads of legislators?
2. Is it Oshiomhole that gave Okiye to use teargas on the faces of the members of the Action Congress?
3. Is it oshiomhole that told Blessing Agbebaku to use a battle axe to cut THREE members of the house?
Why not address the core issues and leave the governor out of this?
What was unconstitutional?
Some 16 members (4get their political talk of saying they werent part of it. They are politicians simply trying to eat from both sides!) wanted to impeach the speaker and that is what gives the PDP members to start using dangerous weapons in the hallowed chambers?
Who is the "we" that want to teach who a lesson?
Wake up from ur illusions.
So people like u made noise in akoko edo rerun and lost.
Made more noise in etsako east rerun and again u lost.
When will u finally come to terms with the fact that the Godfather has been PERMANENTLY retired from edo politics?
If zakawanu is man, let him enter the house and conduct any seating!
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by Outstrip(f): 7:10pm On Feb 24, 2010
agberos

Patrick Inobemhe for Edo State House of Assembly Etsako West Constituency 2

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=293751416982
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by solo1: 6:25am On Feb 25, 2010
Edo lawmakers elect new Speaker, PDP kicks

Court orders reopening of Assembly, restrains Garuba
From Alemma-Ozioruva Aliu, Benin City
THE crisis that has engulfed Edo State `House of Assembly since Monday continued yesterday with the election of Bright Omokhodion, representing Esan West Constituency as the new Speaker and Paul Ohombamu (Egor Constituency) as Deputy Speaker.

The Action Congress (AC) - the party which governs the state - through a correspondence read by the new Speaker, also nominated Philip Shaibu, Etsako West II, as Majority Leader and Patrick Osayeme, Oredo II as Minority Whip.

But the Zakawanu Garuba, the erstwhile Speaker, in a swift reaction told The Guardian that he remained the legitimate occupant of the office, saying he was not properly removed. He said his "purported removal through a purported impeachment letter" claimed to have been signed by 16 members was not true contrary to Section 92 (2) of the 1999 Constitution, which he said stipulates that the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker can only be removed through a resolution of the House with at least two-thirds majority. He said there was no evidence that they actually had 16 signatories as required.

"They are the ones that went to court to say that we have been removed and we are saying that we were not removed as enshrined in Section 90 (2) of the 1999 Constitution. Whatever they are doing is a nullity because it is yet to be decided whether they met the requirement, 13 is not 16. It is only when an office is vacant that you can fill it. They cannot take action on issues that are matters of litigation, which the court is to decide on", he said.

However, an Edo State High Court sitting in Benin City has restrained Garuba and Levis Aigbogun from parading themselves as Speaker and Deputy Speaker.

Justice Esther A. Edigin, of Court 4, also restrained the State Police Commissioner from sealing off the Assembly.

In suit No. B/114/05/2010, the plaintiffs, Peter Aliu, Speaker Pro-tempore and the House of Assembly, had asked the court, through their counsel, K.E Mozia and Enahoro Aghomo, to restrain the defendants until hearing and determination of motion on notice for interlocutory injunction.

The court also restrained the 3rd defendant, the Commissioner of Police, either by himself, or through police officers or policemen of Edo State or any other police command from sealing off, further sealing or further preventing or continuing to prevent the 1st plaintiff, legislative and administrative staff of 2nd plaintiff, from having unlimited access to the premises of the Assembly pending the hearing and determination of the application praying for similar interlocutory reliefs.

Meanwhile, two other members of the House from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Adesotu Christopher and Ereghan Edosele, have denied signing the document used to remove Garuba on Monday. They said in separate statements made available to journalists that the remained committed to the PDP and the authority of the House of Assembly "under the able leadership of Zakawanu Garuba as Speaker."

But it was not all that easy for the 13 AC lawmakers to meet at the hallowed chambers as their initial move into the assembly complex was resisted and they were not allowed entry by heavily armed policemen who have taken over the place since on Monday. Despite being armed with the court injunction, the lawmakers were turned back by the police who claimed they had not been directed by their superiors to allow them in. The teeming supporters of the AC who thronged the assembly complex became agitated over the refusal of the police to open the gates, but they were repeatedly prevailed upon to remain calm.

There was however a mild drama when gunshots were fired about 200 metres from the assembly complex, believed to be by unidentified thugs. The AC supporters later chased them away.

The lawmakers later met with the Commissioner of Police Kachi Udeoji and at about 1. 50 pm, the police opened the assembly complex's gates for sitting to commence.

The Pro-tempore Speaker, Aliu, representing Etsako East Constituency was led into the chamber at 2.10 pm by the Sergeant-at-arms and accompanied by his colleagues, with Johnson Oghuma wearing a heavy bandage on his head and crutches, apparently as a result of the Monday fracas.

By 2.13 pm, members said the opening prayers led by Jude Ise-Idehen and immediately after that, the Clerk read the Order Paper where the election of a Speaker and deputy were announced. Etiosa Ogbewi, representing Orhiomwon II nominated Omokhodion for the office of Speaker and was seconded by Shaibu. There was no second motion and at exactly 2.25 pm, he subscribed to the oath of office as Speaker and Aliu immediately vacated the seat for him.

Thereafter the new Speaker, whose attempts to announce his defection from the PDP to the AC was not recognized, causing the fracas on Monday, called for nominations for the office of Deputy Speaker. Jude Ise-Idehen nominated Ohombamu, seconded by Kabiru Adjoto of Akoko-Edo Constituency I.

The House thereafter went into session, where a committee was set up to investigate- Frank Okiye and Blessing Agbebaku - members that were suspended who were accused of bringing dangerous weapons into the Assembly chambers on Monday.

The House thereafter said it was suspending its House rules and announced some decisions. First, the House of Assembly Service Commission was dissolved, and also confirmed the nominees sent to the House since last year for membership of the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB). The issue had been the subject of litigation by former members of the board who headed for the court to challenge their dissolution by Governor Adams Oshiomhole.

The House also confirmed the report of the Commission of Enquiry set up by the governor to investigate suspended chairman of Oredo local government council and confirmed the suspension of the chairmen of Akoko-Edo and Orhiomwon councils.

The House also confirmed the dissolution of the board of the Edo State Oil and Gas Commission.

Members of the Commission only two weeks ago secured a ruling from a High Court that declared the dissolution improper, since the members were yet to serve their statutory term in office.

Shortly after sitting was adjourned at about 4.00 pm yesterday, thousands of AC supporters broke into jubilation around the city, despite a downpour.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article03//indexn2_html?pdate=250210&ptitle=Edo lawmakers elect new Speaker, PDP kicks
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by chelseabmw(m): 7:32am On Feb 25, 2010
edo state will never change
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by Jibson999(m): 8:59am On Feb 25, 2010
So if the so called legislators can fight themselves with axes & knives then they should go 2 where they belong(idiot touts)
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by snowdrops(m): 9:25am On Feb 25, 2010
ohisng:

@nex- Please lets for now leave oshiomhole out of this and answer these questions-
1. Is it Oshiomhole that told a so called speaker of house to use gavel to break the heads of legislators?
2. Is it Oshiomhole that gave Okiye to use teargas on the faces of the members of the Action Congress?
3. Is it oshiomhole that told Blessing Agbebaku to use a battle axe to cut THREE members of the house?
Why not address the core issues and leave the governor out of this?
What was unconstitutional?
Some 16 members (4get their political talk of saying they werent part of it. They are politicians simply trying to eat from both sides!) wanted to impeach the speaker and that is what gives the PDP members to start using dangerous weapons in the hallowed chambers?
Who is the "we" that want to teach who a lesson?
Wake up from your illusions.
So people like u made noise in akoko edo rerun and lost.
Made more noise in etsako east rerun and again u lost.
When will u finally come to terms with the fact that the Godfather has been PERMANENTLY retired from edo politics?
If zakawanu is man, let him enter the house and conduct any seating!
Your comments on this place should be disregarded and held in contempt
you have on numerous occasions asserted that YOU ARE A PAID CARD CARRYING MEMBER OF THE AC IN EDO STATE
you lack the capacity for a fair unbiased opinion on political issues in the state
the interest of the state comes first and no party whether PDP,AC,ANPP is bigger than the state.
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by ohisng(m): 9:50am On Feb 25, 2010
@snowdrops- ah my friend. I was wondering when u would show up with ur usual rantings.
1. Is it a crime now to be a member of a political party?
2. Please show CLEARLY where i defended (?) the governor
3. I asked some questions. Why dont u stand up for your PDP party and at least answer the questions?
Bottomline- If some lawmakers want to impeach the speaker, why did he not allow them to democratically go through the process? He keeps saying that they couldnt get 2/3rd, so why was he panicking?
Didnt u see them live on TV? Speaker was bursting people's head with a gavel. Okiye was teargassing some legislators while Agbebaku was busy using a battle axe to slash 3 other members?
Is this a behaviour acceptable of any responsible lawmaker no matter the so called provocation?
4. If u want to defend PDP, u are FREE to do BUT please u dont have to STOOP SO LOW AS TO LIE!! Please tell or show NL WHERE and WHEN (until today), i ever said i was " A PAID CARD CARRYING MEMBER OF THE AC IN EDO STATE"
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by snowdrops(m): 10:31am On Feb 25, 2010
First of all you must count yourself lucky not to have been injured during the fracas in the legislative chambers. Thank your god as have you been injured or worst still lost your live, your godfather in the AC [who would never use any of his children for the job he has hired you to do] would simply move on to the next person.

Back to the topic, the law of physics says "for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction".
Oshiomhole and his AC have been heating up the polity for quite some time. It is even more gobsmacking that a former union leader who has always clamoured for the right of the opposition and free speech has since assuption of office as the state governor been working day and night to silence the very opposition and free speech. The same governor that has been going public shouting he wanted to be rid of godfatherism has now started creating godfathers in the AC. The same governor that has bragged times without number of flushing PDP out of the state has welcomed with open arms thousands of PDP crooks that helped impoverish the state under lucky igbinedion; many of these crooks you already know but to highlight some of them for the benefit of other readers, they include; Ize-Iyamu[sec. to state governor under lucky], Igbafe, Osamede Adun, etc etc.

An attempt to subvert the constitution by impeaching a sitting speaker with less than 2/3rd majority[ 12 AC members with a defecting PDP member] is only calling for trouble. The politicians are only answerable to themselves and the violent reaction that ensued was not a surprise.

This illegal impeachment should be nullified, all leaders reinstated and a public inquiry held to investigate the causes and events of this disgraceful act. Any one found wanting whether PDP, AC or apolitical, Governor, or whoever should stand down from their office and be made to face the full wrath of the lawThats the only way public confidence can be restored and such an act does not repeat itself in the future. But who am i kidding this is Nigeria where anything goes.
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by ohisng(m): 11:35am On Feb 25, 2010
Thats ur response to people using battle axe and teargas?
U still havent said WHERE I SAID I WAS A PAID MEMBER!!
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by ohisng(m): 2:35pm On Feb 25, 2010
@my man snowdrops, as usual, u are dodging the issue!
Are u saying cos they want to impeach a speaker, that is justification for use of dangerous weapons?
Am still waiting for u to show me where i said i was a paid member of AC.
Forget those lies by some of them that they didnt sign. THEY SIGNED!! Is it not same clerk who claimed he was "forced" to swear in the protem speaker that now happily swore in the new speaker?
No let politicians dey make u look silly oh!
All these ur beating around the bush does NOT answer the question:
IS ZAKAWANU GARUBA ALLOWED TO BREAK PEOPLES HEAD WITH A GAVEL?
IS FRANK OKIYE ALLOWED TO BRING IN TEAR GAS CANNISTER INTO THE CHAMBERS AND USE ON OPPOSITION MEMBERS?
IS BLESSING AGBEBAKU ALLOWED TO BRING INTO THE CHAMBERS A BATTLE AXE AND INFLICT SERIOUS INJURIES ON OTHER LEGISLATORS?
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by snowdrops(m): 2:45pm On Feb 25, 2010
As long as you continue to view issues through AC manufactured microscope, all your arguements remain invalid. There is no denying that the AC has attempted a failed coup to overthrow the democratically elected leadership of the Edo state house of assembly. Their illegality led to another illegality by the PDP by bringing in arms into the hallowed chambers.

I know you never see any wrong by the AC but as far as i am concerned both parties are guilty of corruption, treason and thuggery and in an ideal society will be booted out of governance and politics. This is no democracy, what is practiced in the state is mafia gangsterism.

And yes, look though your previous posts; you have stated that you work for the AC and a member of the party. Do the maths as i dont have the mental strenght for that.
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by ohisng(m): 3:41pm On Feb 25, 2010
my guy snowdrops,
u are reading it wrong
The arms brought by the PDP were ALREADY IN the house BEFORE the Action Congress members raised a motion.
FYI, i do not work for the AC; i am not a staff and i CHALLENGE u to show any post to prove your point!
U do NOT have mental strength to prove that you are TRUTHFUL? What do u have mental strength for then?
FYI, the house is in session and zakawanu and his cultist cohorts are now history!!
Sorry. Take heart
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by Fhemmmy: 3:42pm On Feb 25, 2010
Another palava, we will make ti
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by snowdrops(m): 5:43pm On Feb 25, 2010
ohisng:

my guy snowdrops,
u are reading it wrong
The arms brought by the PDP were ALREADY IN the house BEFORE the Action Congress members raised a motion.
FYI, i do not work for the AC; i am not a staff and i CHALLENGE u to show any post to prove your point!
U do NOT have mental strength to prove that you are TRUTHFUL? What do u have mental strength for then?
FYI, the house is in session and zakawanu and his cultist cohorts are now history!!
Sorry. Take heart

Well i happy for you. Your party is in business with full grips by hook or crook on the legislature, judiciary and executive.
At least you are expecting your bonus from the coup in Abuja soonest. Hope you can email my share grin grin grin
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 25, 2010
they should install metal detectors anytime tension is brewing in a house of assembly.

whatever happened to fighting with fisticuffs and throwing chairs? Not saying its good but still better than bringing machine gun.

Hope the fighting isnt being planned to spill over into neighboring states?
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by Nobody: 7:13pm On Feb 27, 2010
^^^ Why is this sicko still allowed to post these disgusting images all over the forum?? angry
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by honeric01(m): 7:37pm On Feb 27, 2010
Who's this madman? what are the mods doing?
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by lionphil(m): 8:41pm On Feb 27, 2010
WHAT THE FUC.K IS THIS? WHERE DID THIS MURDERFUC.KER COME FROM. gay shit
Re: Blood Bath In Edo State House Of Assembly As Members Impeach Speaker by honeric01(m): 8:44pm On Feb 27, 2010
This guy is really suffering from a goat type of brain tumor angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thousands Flee Maiduguri / Gunmen Storm Airforce School In Kano: Kill Many / Niger East Senatorial By-election Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.