Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,614 members, 7,979,078 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 07:55 PM

Used Hard Disk Space - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Used Hard Disk Space (579 Views)

Uk Arrival!!! Samsung 270e Intel Core I3 4gb Ram 500gb Hard Disk For 45k Only / Hp Pavilion G7 17.3 Inches 4gb Ram, 500gb Hard Disk Uk Used For Sale / How To Replace Internal Hard Disk With Extenal Usb Hard Disk In Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Used Hard Disk Space by supereagle(m): 1:33pm On Feb 23, 2010
My laptop hard drive space is about to finish, I raised the question in a foreign forum, they gave a lot useful susggestion without demanding for anything. We hardly see that in NL.
1. External hard drive
2 .HDD
3.USB Western Digital Terabyte HDs
4.Free online storage ( Not supported by me)
5.Other free suggestions were given
I do not know much about the first three, can somebody educate me and also, are they available in Nigeria? Are my files protected from viral infection, If I use any of them?
Re: Used Hard Disk Space by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 23, 2010
From what I read, I guess the first three is just a suggestion for you to use an 'External Hard Disk' (USB Western Digital Terabyte HDs falls under this cartegory). They can be found in Nigeria and like every other external storage device they are not a guarantee that your files will be safe from virus attacks.
Re: Used Hard Disk Space by Dokki: 8:03pm On Feb 23, 2010
You have another option but you need this done by a professional and you will need to spend a little bit of money.

a. Buy yourself another hard drive that will fit your laptop make sure is is larger than your exisitng one
b. Get an IT professional to "ghost" your existing drive on to the new one - use Symantec Ghost or Acronis

All your settings and files will remain the same and you will have yourself the free space you need.

Options 1,2,3 are rather similar and some will say the same thing - you will need to acquire another physical device t put your data on.
Option 4 requires you to have the bandwidth to upload and download your files.

As per the protection - nobody can give you that assurance, the only data that is protected is the one that is not on a computer and in your head grin

One thing that you can do and will cost you nothing is to evaluate exactly what you have on your hard drive and keep only what is important, delete the rest, this will free up space for you.

By the way - there are people here who are willing to help without asking for anything.

Good Luck!

D
Re: Used Hard Disk Space by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 23, 2010
its very simple -

buy an external hard drive - you can buy one at any LG outlet, cconnect this to your laptop, and move most of your unused or unimportant files to this to free up space

mote that you can by a pre assembled external hard drive, or u can hust buy a hard drive and a case and assemble yourself

the second option is to buy a hard drive and replace your pcs hard drive. you can clone your hard rive to the new drive .you will need disk mirroring software runtimes driveimage xml is good for this. you may have issues though - i when i did this i did it with a dual booting hard disk. my vista install booted fine, but my xp install had issues .

going by your posts u're best off with the external drive. buying a hard disk and replacing is techie teritory -- and some how i don't trust the 'enginer's at computer village to do anything better than replace and instal over your new hard drive without backing up your drivers etc.

My laptop hard drive space is about to finish, I raised the question in a foreign forum, they gave a lot useful susggestion without demanding for anything. We hardly see that in NL.

you must be asking the wrong people. there are plenty of fellas who will help you in a pinch without asking for anything . there are still true geeks on /NL
Re: Used Hard Disk Space by supereagle(m): 9:34pm On Feb 23, 2010
Thanks True NL, what I am looking for in Sokoto, it is my Sokoto. I will not trust any techie with my laptop.

(1) (Reply)

Success Minded People. / Isp/internet Connection Needed Urgently. / Hw Much Does It Cost?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.