Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,146 members, 7,967,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 02:46 PM

Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! (20942 Views)

I'm Having Eco And First Bank Aptitude Test The Same Day / Anebi’s Spectacular Transformation Amidst Daunting Challenges At FFS / 3 Key Uses Of Microsoft Excel At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
Thanks so much everyone for your inputs. These array of opinions have really helped me. I know what to do and how to deal with this issue.
Suddenly, my burdens are gone and my fears lifted. Thanks all. Hope to share my success story with you all soon.
Thanks for sharing in my pains.

3 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by hot1sauce(m): 10:14pm On Sep 04, 2017
I wouldn't b surprised if these ppl saying u shud learn the dilect/language r ur co-workers posing as niralnders. My friend speak any language u like.... If they don't like it doesn't matter. They will respect u for how u carry urself and that's what matters not all this petty shit! Memba they don't have to like u but they have to work with u. And always have it in mind na ur work u dey work for dat place no b ur house so Bleep them and their slaave mentality. B true to urself, stay presentable work welll and don't give any ammo for any man born of woman to bring u down. PEACE

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Sylver247: 10:37pm On Sep 04, 2017
When I saw this post in the afternoon I just laughed. I didn't want to comment then cos am currently passing through the same predicament, I wanted to know what others would say.

For those shouting learn the language or leave, you guys are just being ignorant. You think it's easy to just learn a language overnight? You think the op doesn't have the willingness to learn it? It takes time and effort. If you say he should learn it for future use I would understand, not that why hasn't he learned it as if it's an automatic transmission thing.

Op, my strategy is to be myself. I don't try to please people unnecessarily. It exposes you to heartbreaks when u want to please everybody. When they're speaking their language, allow them and focus on your own activities. When you want to talk, do so in English.

Once in a while surprise them by throwing in a word or two in their language, they'll be excited. It works. I don't know how your office is, but mine is Democratic, everybody has a voice.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 05, 2017
Sylver247:
When I saw this post in the afternoon I just laughed. I didn't want to comment then cos am currently passing through the same predicament, I wanted to know what others would say.

For those shouting learn the language or leave, you guys are just being ignorant. You think it's easy to just learn a language overnight? You think the op doesn't have the willingness to learn it? It takes time and effort. If you say he should learn it for future use I would understand, not that why hasn't he learned it as if it's an automatic transmission thing.

Op, my strategy is to be myself. I don't try to please people unnecessarily. It exposes you to heartbreaks when u want to please everybody. When they're speaking their language, allow them and focus on your own activities. When you want to talk, do so in English.

Once in a while surprise them by throwing in a word or two in their language, they'll be excited. It works. I don't know how your office is, but mine is Democratic, everybody has a voice.
Thanks alot.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by luciangelymail(f): 10:56pm On Sep 05, 2017
risingrainboll:

Thanks alot. My dad actually told me not to worry about the errands. Someone, also told me to expect anything on the job. May be you have a point. Most people would die to get my job.

Actually my dear, am writing from experience, my former boss an never send u to buy his food if he doesn't trust u or like u. Mostly I buy his food if am free, I know this because whenever we have a new colleague, he will ask me or any other colleague he trusts if we think he can send d new person for his food. If we say no, he won't, why? because of the person's character. so if ur boss sends u to buy him food and other things, my dear he trusts u. start seeing it from that angle. Religion aside. carry ur self high, don't ever feel intimidated,don't worry, those colleagues of urs will see d diff. be unique, develop ur self. don't join d crowd. #goodluck

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 06, 2017
luciangelymail:

Actually my dear, am writing from experience, my former boss an never send u to buy his food if he doesn't trust u or like u. Mostly I buy his food if am free, I know this because whenever we have a new colleague, he will ask me or any other colleague he trusts if we think he can send d new person for his food. If we say no, he won't, why? because of the person's character. so if ur boss sends u to buy him food and other things, my dear he trusts u. start seeing it from that angle. Religion aside. carry ur self high, don't ever feel intimidated,don't worry, those colleagues of urs will see d diff. be unique, develop ur self. don't join d crowd. #goodluck
Thanks alot. I am very greatful

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 09, 2017
Frenchfriez:

Do you work in a different state from yours? Then thats kinda not unexpected. Initially I was in your shoes, as a 'stranger' by all ramifications.
But if you play your cards well, you would be the go-to man in the organisation.
That's my story today.
#office politics
Thanks so much. Need all the advice I can get. Could you share how you did yours with me? And yes, I work in a different state.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 09, 2017
ivolt:

If he gives you a ride to work why then are you complaining of errands ?
It is only natural that your HOD gravitate towards you since you are relatively
close to him.

Also, why keep your religion private ?
Are your co-workers also in the dark and are relating to you
as member of the same religion ? Thanks so much. I am enduring and developind

You just have to endure.
Thanks so much. I am enduring and developing a strategy to resolving this challlenge. Thanks again.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2017
agabaI23:
I think you have pride issues. Have you heard about stooping to conquer?

Your HOD gives you ride and you're complaining that he sends you on errand?
Take advantage of this closeness snd stop winning.

On the contrary, I think your HOD likes you.

What you may be lacking is team working skills and interpersonal relationship skills.

People's behaviour should not affect your productivity unless they deliberately sabotage your effort.

Look at the mirror bro.
Thanks alot for being blunt. I really appreciate. Pls feel free to share your opinion no matter how hard it sounds. I need it.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 09, 2017
[quote author=talk2bity post=60116225]Ur happiness depend on u not ur coworkers.do ur things forgeting that they exist.if u believe in urself can make anything happen.[/quote
Thanks so much. I really need this advice. Truly greatful.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 09, 2017
Richy4:
Your major problem is low self confidence/ low self esteem. nothing more and nothing less.....That means you can't work in a place where u are the only black and the team mates got superiority complex..

Work on your self man...and remember u are not there to make friends.. u are there to work and get away...

As for your HOD, U have to revisit your job specification..if it specify that u run an errand or you do something like that, then do it... it does not matter how busy u are..

I still have to maintain that u are not there to make friends...Hit the ignore button at all time.. that will help u stay away from office gossip... Someone like me will thank God for that kinda work place because i hated Office gossip with all i got..
Thanks so.much. will work on my confidence and self esteem. Thanks again.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 09, 2017
Ahmadgani:
my case is not quite different from yours. when I got employed, 90%of my colleagues were Igbos including the boss. I was scared initially because I don't undastand Igbo. but gradually I started blending, at some point in time during meetings they'll start speaking Igbo. I almost quit. however I deviate a plan, I became more friendly, I sometimes speak the little Igbo I could grab. theyll laugh and ill laugh with them. things started changing drastically, now if I am not there meetings will not hold. language or religion should not be a professional yardstick. rather commitments, diligency and hardwork should be. (my experience)
Ok. Thanks alot.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 09, 2017
Funjosh:
OP listen to the advice of the wise ones on this topic, too much children here on NL. embarassed
I will. Thanks bro.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 09, 2017
JohnXcel:
@ You OP: risingrainboll

If you can't be humble enough to assimilate at least the dominant, indigenous language of your colleagues at your workplace, especially when the company is located in their home.

Then you shouldn't be there in the first place, particularly if you are Igbo...

Adapt and assimilate peacefully or get out!
Thanks bro. Will put that in mind.

Nuff said...
Thanks bro. Will put that I mind.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Cityguy: 12:57pm On Oct 05, 2017
ggoldmine:

why do you ask? I don't think the religion is necessary in this counsel. Also, he hasn't said the HOD thinks less of him. I think because they are of the same religion, he feels more comfortable sending him on such errands as buying food and the rest.

@Op, just be yourself and stop trying to please anyone, you'll be much happier that way. Relate with them as you would with people from your tribe; greet, be friendly and nice... just be you. Believe me, if you met people from same tribe as you, you might act same.
You just said my mind. Great advice there. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by shomb: 9:42pm On Oct 05, 2017
Vacancy For Boy/ Girl That Can Fry Yam, Akara And Potato

This job is for you if you are good at frying yam,potato and akara ,kindly

Call :08021224320

You must reside within surulere .
Qualification: First school leaving certificate
Waec ,SSCE.
Must be 18 - 23 years of age.l
Call now and start working !!!!!!!!!
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 06, 2017
Cityguy:

You just said my mind. Great advice there. Kudos.
Noted. Thank you
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Polchiz(m): 8:20pm On Jul 24, 2022
agabaI23:
I think you have pride issues. Have you heard about stooping to conquer?

Your HOD gives you ride and you're complaining that he sends you on errand?
Take advantage of this closeness snd stop winning.

On the contrary, I think your HOD likes you.

What you may be lacking is team working skills and interpersonal relationship skills.

People's behaviour should not affect your productivity unless they deliberately sabotage your effort.

Look at the mirror bro.
You are just speaking grammar.

How do you feel when you are treated differently from others simply because you are not from their tribe.
Why send only her on errands?

I can assure you that she will work while others take the credit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shell Sacks 6,500, Slash Capital Spending / N-Power Distributes Gadgets To N-Tech Volunteers / The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.