Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,086 members, 7,946,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 01:34 AM

See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. (782 Views)

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. by chatinent: 9:41am On Sep 05, 2017
Some words misused by Nigerians and even the learned.
Copyright : No part of this should be transmitted to an unknown source without prior consent and allowance by the author or acknowledgement. This was written by Richie of [URL=http://chatinent.com.ng]Chatinent [/URL].
1. And Also.
Sentence example: [s]Go to my house and bring my pen, and also bring my book.[/s]
“And also” is redundant; say just “and” or “also.” Using both makes one constructs a bad sentence, or poorly constructed sentence. To attain proficiency in English as language, we must learn to avoid making these types of mistakes.
2. So therefore.
Sentence example: [s]Adding both will equal two, so therefore, we minus.[/s]
When "so" and "therefore" are implemented as conjunctions, a choice must be made between them, not using both adjacent to another.
3. Insulting and Insultive. People have lampoooned 'insultive' being a word nut really really, it is a word. When sb uses insulting words on you, they are being insultive. However, do use 'insulting.'
4. You can give me an information. Hello? An information?
You say give me some information or give me a piece of information . Information as a word is an uncountable noun and should be treated as such.

Origin: http://chatinent.com.ng/index.php?showtopic=332&st=0&#entry612
lalasticlala, olawalebabs, Fynestboi, Richiez, mynd44
Re: See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. by chatinent: 1:02pm On Sep 05, 2017
Views, questions, suggestions are all welcomed.
Re: See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. by chatinent: 2:45pm On Sep 05, 2017
Thanks for reading.
Re: See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. by chatinent: 1:23pm On Sep 09, 2017
Royalroy, dominique, Sissy3, mynd44, lalasticlala
Re: See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. by chatinent: 6:27pm On Oct 14, 2017
Cc: lalasticlala
Re: See Four (4) Words/phrases Misused By Nigerians And Even The Learned Ones. by Oladipo1166(m): 6:46pm On Oct 14, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Let's Start A Group On Nairaland Where The Voice Of Nigerian Youths Can Be Heard / Jamb CAPS Important Information / A.B.U Zaria Is Ranked BEST University In Nigeria 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.