Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,245 members, 7,880,916 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:11 AM

Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss (13509 Views)

Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano / Shoprite Confirms Exit From Nigeria / Nigerians Will Feel Impact Of Exit From Recession Soon, Says Godwin Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by GavelSlam: 7:34am On Sep 07, 2017
heykims:
I don't like economics
Their terminologies confuse and bore me..
I don't get doe from that write-up upstairs undecided
Are you serious right now?
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by 9japrof(m): 7:35am On Sep 07, 2017
NBS and useless statistics, most of these statistics are merely fabrication and do not represent what's on ground.

If there is real growth on paper, we should feel it on ground.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by shegzi(m): 7:37am On Sep 07, 2017
My Brother we are still in recession. THANK YOU!
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by Abee79(m): 7:39am On Sep 07, 2017
WenysAD:
Until paint of garri comes down to #200 and bag of rice come down to #8000, then I will know we are out of recession
Shior!!
True!

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by luckydion(m): 7:39am On Sep 07, 2017
wonderful!

Nigeria fell into the pull of recession; there was practical/physical manifestation in the economy and life of Nigerians both rich and poor..... Now! the same Nigerian economy is said to be out of recession but no physical impact.... Hmmmm!..... How much were you paid to make this speech?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by Cindy08: 7:43am On Sep 07, 2017
As far as am concern,we re still swimming in recession.u can't convince me
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by mfm04622: 7:44am On Sep 07, 2017
Sweetguy25:
The man said recession doesn't concern unemployment. Is he daft?

When you measure GDP, nothing concern employment in measuring GDP. However, we know that when GDP is growing, employment rates go up. However, when you are measuring GDP, you only measure what the country produces then check against a yardstick to see if it is increasing or decreasing.
So the man is not daft. If he was, he won't had been employed by your hero. Abi?
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by ehinmowo: 7:44am On Sep 07, 2017
You are right sir! Bt come back and talk to us wen d indices favour all.

Reccession is a cycle. D boom section can be maintained with accurate and prudent economic principles and management

Join cawid.com
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by Harrynight(m): 7:45am On Sep 07, 2017
"Nigeria is out of Reccession" is a scam and hate speech... untill dollar drop to 190

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by hypercyc: 7:46am On Sep 07, 2017
To be candid, the NBS has indeed fared well under Dr. Kale. Prior to his tenure, I'll rather rely on WB and IMF data on economic indices for Nigeria. Like he rightly asserted, it is up to the Government to consolidate on this slight recovery for all to start appreciating the impact. Otherwise, the economy might slip back into recession by Q4 of the year. May God help us.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by mfm04622: 7:46am On Sep 07, 2017
rhektor:
This is whee I always have problems with our government, the prices of goods shoot up they claim it was caused by recession now we heard that no more recession but the prices are still up. Who is deceiving who? They will now come and be speaking some grammar to confuse us. If you can not explain it to a five years old then you too don't understand it. Please our government should try to always tell us the truth about what is going on. Enough of all these Lai Mohammed things

Price increase is really caused by inflation and not recession. Your economy can be growing while you have inflation. Different things

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by rhektor(m): 7:48am On Sep 07, 2017
mfm04622:

Price increase is really caused by inflation and not recession. Your economy can be growing while you have inflation. Different things

Another grammar, tell us using simple terms don't confuse yourself by trying to confuse us.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by Kexcellency: 7:49am On Sep 07, 2017
Temilayhor:
The end of Recession to me is when the price of a bowl of rice comes down to #300..
I concur

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by mfm04622: 7:58am On Sep 07, 2017
Let m try and explain it in my little way.

Before recession, let's say the GDP was at 1,000,000 and growing at 5% per annum. From this point, the growth rate started reducing, it now grows at 2% per annum and GDP is now 1,070,000.
Next year, we now entered recession. The economy contracted by 2%. The size of economy is now 1,048,600. Another 2% recession took 1,027,628.

When people remember the good times, they remember when the economy was at 1,070,000. But now the economy is at 1,048,600. A 1% growth mean we are out of recession but only take the economic size to 1,037,904. So even though we are out of recession, the size of the economy is still not back to where it was. It will take a lot of growth to take the economy back to the size it was. But at least we have started the journey
I know the economy is tracked every quarter and not every year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by mfm04622: 8:01am On Sep 07, 2017
rhektor:

Another grammar, tell us using simple terms don't confuse yourself by trying to confuse us.

I guess you are an adult. Go and read to know the difference between recession, inflation and other terms. These are terms they taught students in secondary schools!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by tobsvent: 8:07am On Sep 07, 2017
Confusion complicated. Most directionless govt ever.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by wildchild02: 8:11am On Sep 07, 2017
Yet to see anything oo, ayam still hungry grin

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION (Sallah Promo is still on)
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by cstr1000: 8:14am On Sep 07, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
When NBS declared that we have entered recession with facts to back it up, everyone accepted that fact, even the government in power accepted that fact. The government didn't call it a campaign of calumny nor evil agenda of political detractors. It accepted that fact, accepted responsibility and promised to improve the economy.

Now, the same NBS that declared recession has said we are out of it with data to backup their facts but some people have decided to play politics with it (including Atiku) and are now saying it is a lieand that it was politically motivated, bla bla bla. Everyone is now talking as if mannar and qual were falling down from heaven for us prior to the recession saga. Atiku is saying food must be on the table of everyone for us to know we are out of recession as if during the non-recession era, everyone had it soo good; we are now acting as if everything was okk before the recession, like we had constant electricity, good roads, portable water, good and consistent healthcare, quality and consistent education, until recession came and scattered everything.

Funny enough, nobody demanded for all these explanations when he declared we were in recession. We accepted that fact, now he has to explain and explain and explain...kai!
It took the international community to declare Nigeria in recession before the NBS actually did. I am certain they didn't want to.

And yes, we believe that we were recession because we could feel it. Sharp increases in price of commodities, high exchange rates, unprecedented inflation , e.tc. Nobody could deny we were in recession, the FG didn't have a choice but to declare it.
Now they say we are out of recession and there is no proof of that. Nothing has returned to its pre-recession condition, so how then are we supposed to believe the same people that said ''recession is just a word'''

You have a brain, use it. I know you are an APC sycophant predisposed to see everything from their point of view, but try and be rational sometimes.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by anonymuz(m): 8:16am On Sep 07, 2017
Guilderland1:
What is he saying, abeg let them pay me today for my mmm.

Please were can I open electronic shop in the north?

I want to invest
maiduguri will be very good to start your investment.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by cstr1000: 8:18am On Sep 07, 2017
mfm04622:

There is always inflation, but it gets worse during a recession.
Nigeria's inflation has been steadily reducing over the years or at worse constant, with recession it jumps .
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by Guilderland1(m): 8:20am On Sep 07, 2017
anonymuz:
maiduguri will be very good to start your investment.

I don't mean military investment, I mean business investment

You want me to go die based?
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by abiolamitodun(m): 8:22am On Sep 07, 2017
Temilayhor:
The end of Recession to me is when the price of a bowl of rice comes down to #300..
what do u mean... #150 jare
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by Nbote(m): 8:23am On Sep 07, 2017
Alo Alo oo, Alo Alo Alo....

Story Story oo, Story Story Story..

If u read d post very well u'll see where d statistician is advising d govt on putting in place policies to return us to where we were before d decline.. In otherwords govt still doesn't know what to do and has been running on autopilot
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by MaziOmenuko: 8:24am On Sep 07, 2017
cstr1000:

It took the international community to declare Nigeria in recession before the NBS actually did. I am certain they didn't want to.

Haba nau, u don't need to lie to butress your point. The international community will not declare any nation in recession, they will only re-echo what the authorised body in the country has said. If you understand what and when a country is said to be in recession, you will understand that it's only NBS that can publish such figures and make such declaration.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by obailala(m): 8:25am On Sep 07, 2017
maxiuc:
They are deceiving themselves and their zombies

According to Mr Atiku
3 square meal a day

3 square meal a day

Stomach is very important
That means Nigeria has been in recession since 1970...
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by cstr1000: 8:29am On Sep 07, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

Haba nau, u don't need to lie to butress your point. The international community will not declare any nation in recession, they will only re-echo what the authorised body in the country has said. If you understand what and when a country is said to be in recession, you will understand that it's only NBS that can publish such figures and make such declaration.
The international community was already pressurizing the government to devalue amidst fears of recession. It was everywhere in the international media, while buhari was trying to defend the currency and pretend everything was fine until it could no longer hold and they had to declare recession.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by dabossman(m): 8:39am On Sep 07, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
When NBS declared that we have entered recession with facts to back it up, everyone accepted that fact, even the government in power accepted that fact. The government didn't call it a campaign of calumny nor evil agenda of political detractors. It accepted that fact, accepted responsibility and promised to improve the economy.

Now, the same NBS that declared recession has said we are out of it with data to backup their facts but some people have decided to play politics with it (including Atiku) and are now saying it is a lieand that it was politically motivated, bla bla bla. Everyone is now talking as if mannar and qual were falling down from heaven for us prior to the recession saga. Atiku is saying food must be on the table of everyone for us to know we are out of recession as if during the non-recession era, everyone had it soo good; we are now acting as if everything was okk before the recession, like we had constant electricity, good roads, portable water, good and consistent healthcare, quality and consistent education, until recession came and scattered everything.

Funny enough, nobody demanded for all these explanations when he declared we were in recession. We accepted that fact, now he has to explain and explain and explain...kai!

We Nigerians like bad news. It gives us a good reason to complain and of course, someone to blame.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by HENRY940: 8:45am On Sep 07, 2017
If the change is not to be felt

Then why announce it
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by agabusta: 8:47am On Sep 07, 2017
9japrof:
NBS and useless statistics, most of these statistics are merely fabrication and do not represent what's on ground.

If there is real growth on paper, we should feel it on ground.

But when they stated that the economy was in recession and inflation was at an all-time high of 17%, you believe then?

But now that they came out to say the economy has recorded a marginal growth, they have turned to liars and fabricators eventhough the growth they recorded was even a very minute one less than 1%.

It is obvious u don't understand simple statistics. Otherwise, the simple explanation by the Statistician of the Federation would have sufficed.
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by maxiuc(m): 8:50am On Sep 07, 2017
obailala:
That means Nigeria has been in recession since 1970...
oga it wasn't bad as it is today

Nigga are you a zoms
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by obailala(m): 8:58am On Sep 07, 2017
maxiuc:
oga it wasn't bad as it is today

Nigga are you a zoms
It has always gotten worse; in Nigeria, yesterday has always been better. Since I was born over 3 decades ago, there has never ever been a time when Nigerians did not complain of things being bad; there has never also been a time when all Nigerians ate 3 meals.

Regarding your closing question, what is 'zoms'? Is that your family name?
Re: Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss by Iamthoney(m): 9:17am On Sep 07, 2017
Truth234:
The Statistician-General of the Federation and Chief Executive, National Bureau of Statistics, Dr. Yemi Kale, on Wednesday explained why Nigerians were not feeling the real impact of the positive economic growth rate on their lives.

Kale attributed the non-impact of the exit from recession on the citizens to the structure of the economy, which is still largely driven by oil.

He said while the economy might have recorded a growth rate of 0.55 per cent in overall Gross Domestic Product for the second quarter, not all the sectors did well in terms of productivity.

For instance, the NBS boss explained that out of the 42 economic activities that were used to measure the GDP growth rate, 21 recorded decline in productivity, while the rest performed better than they did in the first quarter.

He said the 21 of those economic activities that recorded slowdown in performance were those that ordinary Nigerians relate with on daily basis.

For instance, the NBS boss said while the manufacturing sector grew by 0.64 per cent in the second quarter, there were some segments of the sector that did not do well.

He gave some of them as manufacturing, which contracted by -10.88 per cent; motor vehicle and assembly, which contracted by -19.72 per cent; electrical and electronics, which contracted by -1.7 per cent; and chemical and pharmaceutical products, which declined by -0.98 per cent.

In addition, wood and wood products contracted by -2.09 per cent; pulp, paper and paper products, -1.85 per cent; and cement, -4.16 per cent.

Kale explained, “Recession is not about the price of your goods, not whether unemployment is going up or down, not whether you have quality education, it’s purely your Gross Domestic Product; your outputs of goods and services in the economy are going down.

“And the GDP is an accumulation of 46 different economic activities in Nigeria and the overall number, whether positive or negative, will determine whether you are in recession or out of recession.

“Now, within those 46 activities, some sectors will do very well and will be positive; some will do badly, some will do worse, and some will stay the same way they are.

“Depending on who you are in the society, what we publish is the aggregated total of everybody. So, even in that same report, you will see that 21 sectors were negative and there are other sectors that did well.”

He advised that with the economy being out of recession, there was a need for the government to work assiduously to ensure recovery by taking the growth rate to where it was before the decline in performance.

After this is done, he said the next stage would be to sustain the growth and take it beyond the rate of recovery.

The NBS boss explained that in as much as the GDP growth rate was still lower than the population growth rate, the real impact of such economic growth would not be felt significantly.

He said that its GDP report, which showed that Nigeria exited recession in the second quarter, was not doctored or politically motivated.

Kale explained that the NBS was an agency of government that was independent to carry out surveys and publish its findings based on international best practices.

The NBS boss faulted those making claims that the outcome of the report might have been influenced by political considerations, adding that none of the reports of the agency was influenced politically.

Kale said even at the risk of not being reappointed at the tail end of his tenure, economic reports that were not in favour of government activities were published by the agency, adding that if he did not doctor reports then, there was no basis to do so now.

He said, “In this administration, I am the one that published that we were in recession, and I am also the one that is saying we are now out of recession.

“I don’t think there is any inconsistency in what the NBS does in terms of politics. The recession announcement came two months to the renewal of my tenure. Now, if it was political, will I come and tell the government that wants to renew my tenure that inflation is in double digit?

http://investorsking.com/nigerians-havent-felt-impact-exit-recession-nbs-boss/
We got outta recession only on paper....yeye dey smell woss Mr statistician berra yarn something else or go play for nsi, igbe (poo)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? / How Much Is Kerosene In Your Area?i Bought At N115 / Nigeria Moves To Recover $3 Billion From Chinese Owned Addax Petroleum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.