Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,925 members, 7,918,993 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 07:19 PM

How To Break The North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Break The North (4799 Views)

You Can't Insult The North And Stay In Power-knwankwaso / Do You Think Ajimobi Will Break The Record In Ibadan / If I Hated The North, I Wouldn’t Have Built Almajiri Schools - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Break The North by doyin13(m): 6:50pm On Feb 24, 2010
This current impasse has of course started rumblings about Northern obstinacy
and calls for Nigeria to divide on a North and South basis from so called ''southerners''.

I posit though this divide does not exist and as a figment of our imagination has led
to the defeat of progressives and their causes.

The North as one poster on another thread is not one monolith. We only need look
at the situation in Plateau for confirmation. Many other states in the North from largely
christian Taraba and others like Kogi, Benue and of course Plateau do not share the same
characteristics of what we regard as the typical North. That they coalesce with the North is
as much a result of Southerner's promotion or at least acquiescence in acknowledging a North
South divide as any geographical relationship.

I therefore suggest we desist from this North South rubbish. The states mentioned above
have lost as much from the hypercentral arrangement which exist to hold the nation backwards
as much as the typical Northern states.

The efforts of ''Southerners should be directed towards wooing them. Then we can achieve
democratically what Gideon Orkar tried to achieve through violent means.
Re: How To Break The North by Afam(m): 7:15pm On Feb 24, 2010
doyin13:

This current impasse has of course started rumblings about Northern obstinacy
and calls for Nigeria to divide on a North and South basis from so called ''southerners''.

I posit though this divide does not exist and as a figment of our imagination has led
to the defeat of progressives and their causes.

The North as one poster on another thread is not one monolith. We only need look
at the situation in Plateau for confirmation. Many other states in the North from largely
christian Taraba and others like Kogi, Benue and of course Plateau do not share the same
characteristics of what we regard as the typical North. That they coalesce with the North is
as much a result of Southerner's promotion or at least acquiescence in acknowledging a North
South divide as any geographical relationship.

I therefore suggest we desist from this North South rubbish. The states mentioned above
have lost as much from the hypercentral arrangement which exist to hold the nation backwards
as much as the typical Northern states.

The efforts of ''Southerners should be directed towards wooing them. Then we can achieve
democratically what Gideon Orkar tried to achieve through violent means.

I don't see any reason why breakup should come up at all. We must work together to keep Nigeria as one no matter what it takes.

United we stand, divided we fall.
Re: How To Break The North by MrCrackles(m): 7:16pm On Feb 24, 2010
Afam:

I don't see any reason why breakup should come up at all. We must work together to keep Nigeria as one no matter what it takes.

Thank you. . . But count me out Peach tongue
Re: How To Break The North by doyin13(m): 7:23pm On Feb 24, 2010
Afam:

My argument is not for a breakup of the country. My argument is actually
for us to stop the instinctive tendency to divide the country into an imaginary
North and South.

There are states in the ''North'' that have lost and still have as much to lose
based on this mythical division. If we can get states especially the middle belt
states to the side of the ''south'', then we can constitutionally shape the country
that best serves our needs.
Re: How To Break The North by marcdunu: 7:25pm On Feb 24, 2010
ONE NAIJARIAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVEN THOUGH IT MEANS THE VP IS TREATED AS SECOND CLASS CITIZEN

grin grin grin grin grin grin

NIGERIA MUST NOT BREAK UP . . . . . . SO SAYS THE HEGEMONY AND WE MUST LIVE BY IT

WELCOME BACK KING ABDULLAZIZ BIN YAR'ADUA WHO MUST RULE EVEN FROM HIS GRAVE THROUGH THE PREMIERSHIP OF QUEEN TURAI BIN YAR'ADUA.

GOOD MORNING ONE NAIGERIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: How To Break The North by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 24, 2010
Afam:

No matter whether it means the retrogression of Nigeria?

We may be one country but we are clearly not united. Nigerians can keep up their delusions.
Re: How To Break The North by marcdunu: 7:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
davidylan:

No matter whether it means the retrogression of Nigeria?

We may be one country but we are clearly not united. Nigerians can keep up their delusions.

do you honestly think Afam believes in his post? its sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How To Break The North by Afam(m): 7:32pm On Feb 24, 2010
doyin13:

My argument is not for a breakup of the country. My argument is actually
for us to stop the instinctive tendency to divide the country into an imaginary
North and South.

There are states in the ''North'' that have lost and still have as much to lose
based on this mythical division. If we can get states especially the middle belt
states to the side of the ''south'', then we can constitutionally shape the country
that best serves our needs.

I agree with your points, they are indeed very valid but again this is what you get when we try to personalize issues or allow ethnicity color everything we do.

If we take away all forms of tribal sentiments, mindsets, anger or suspicions then you would understand that Ojukwu asked for and demanded for fairness and justice and these things are usually blind to ethnic groups because justice will favor a Northerner as much as it would favor a Southerner but what happened? For insisting on fair play and justice a 3 year civil war was fought millions of Easterners killed and today even Plateau State, the home state of Gowon is facing serious problems that I am sure he would never have envisaged in his mind considering what he stood for in the past.

We must move beyond the suspicions, accept responsibility of our actions and inactions and push for serious development as I believe that with honesty and open mindedness we can create a Nigeria that every single citizen will benefit from.
Re: How To Break The North by marcdunu: 7:40pm On Feb 24, 2010
Listen to the speech of Ojukwu, he described Easterners as Nigerians. But the rest of the world blamed Igbos and purnished. 40years later we are all victims of this injustice and Nigeria is now a country of minorities where people exploit our wicked history to perpetuate greed.

I feel very sorry for Jonathan for he is a good man. He does not deserve this even though his forefathers brought this upon him

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZBhCiTkqT0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: How To Break The North by marcdunu: 7:45pm On Feb 24, 2010
Just like Jonathan Goodluck did not start this trouble so did Ojukwu

I hope that we all have more luxury of information thesedays to bear witness to the truth and tell our children the truth. Not distort the truth against a tribe who asked for nothing but equity and fairness
Re: How To Break The North by Katsumoto: 8:18pm On Feb 24, 2010
marcdunu:

Just like Jonathan Goodluck did not start this trouble so did Ojukwu

I hope that we all have more luxury of information thesedays to bear witness to the truth and tell our children the truth. Not distort the truth against a tribe who asked for nothing but equity and fairness

Why do some Igbo people continue to act like the Igbo were innocent bystanders in the events of the 60s. In my view, the Efik and Ibibio were the innocent bystanders who got caught in the cross-fire. If you want to tell the truth, then lay blame on all guilty parties.

And why must every thread degenerate into Igbo victimisation? You are not the only marginalised group/people in Nigeria.
Re: How To Break The North by marcdunu: 8:22pm On Feb 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

Why do some Igbo people continue to act like the Igbo were innocent bystanders in the events of the 60s. In my view, the Efik and Ibibio were the innocent bystanders who got caught in the cross-fire. If you want to tell the truth, then lay blame on all guilty parties.

And why must every thread degenerate into Igbo victimisation? You are not the only marginalised group/people in Nigeria.

Just like the Ijaws are responsible for the terrorism your Hausa/Fulani brothers are metting out on Jonathan?

No need to try to understand the 60s. Just look at the evidence today and it will explain the 60s a lot.
Re: How To Break The North by doyin13(m): 8:24pm On Feb 24, 2010
lol. . .

Na wa. . what hopes do we have of breaking the North like I propose
if the Southerners are still fighting themselves over historical irrelevances.
Re: How To Break The North by Katsumoto: 8:28pm On Feb 24, 2010
marcdunu:

Just like the Ijaws are responsible for the terrorism your Hausa/Fulani brothers are metting out on Jonathan?

No need to try to understand the 60s. Just look at the evidence today and it will explain the 60s a lot.

I understand the events of the 60s very well; the problem I have with people like yourself is that you think the Igbo were innocent of all actions in that era. Your Ijaw analogy is not comparable to the events of the 60s. There are very few similarities.
Re: How To Break The North by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 24, 2010
@ OP

the indigenes of those states you mentioned do not necessarily like the south more than they do the north.
Re: How To Break The North by Onlytruth(m): 9:00pm On Feb 24, 2010
@marcdunu

Please save your breath. It is no use explaining these things to people with hearts of stone. I never understood the term "cut off your nose to spite your face" until I started studying the Nigerian civil war and the roles played by some tribes. So let it be.
Frankly, the most idiotic concept I can think of today is that of "southern Nigeria". It is so warped in illogic and idiocy that I wonder how we (including myself) ever thought of it as a solution. THERE IS NO SOUTH.

I have personally found out that most northerners are people who keep their words -they are reliable. If a northerner says yes, you can take that to the bank, likewise if he says no. So, it is easier to work with them. Among them still, you see that the christian parts are even better to work with. They are peaceful and try to go to school.

So, the idea of breaking the north as a political unit is not a bad one provided that it does not mean bringing them to join a "South". We in the East can work with the Christian north in a political alliance if you like (Like Zik did with Solomon Lar in Plateau State 1979 NPP).

We must avoid any political alliances that involve the Yoruba.
Re: How To Break The North by doyin13(m): 9:02pm On Feb 24, 2010
tpia.:

@ OP

the indigenes of those states you mentioned do not necessarily like the south more than they do the north.

I suggest this is because the south has never tried to woo them in the first place.

We have alienated them with this division we have helped to perpetuate.

Do not forget, Orkar's coup was aimed at excising states he termed the core North
from Nigeria. This for me is evidence of large discontent within these states with
the largely Islamic Hausa states.
Re: How To Break The North by doyin13(m): 9:05pm On Feb 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

@marcdunu

Please save your breath. It is no use explaining these things to people with hearts of stone. I never understood the term "cut off your nose to spite your face" until I started studying the Nigerian civil war and the roles played by some tribes. So let it be.
Frankly, the most idiotic concept I can think of today is that of "southern Nigeria". It is so warped in illogic and idiocy that I wonder how we (including myself) ever thought of it as a solution. THERE IS NO SOUTH.

I have personally found out that most northerners are people who keep their words -they are reliable. If a northerner says yes, you can take that to the bank, likewise if he says no. So, it is easier to work with them. Among them still, you see that the christian parts are even better to work with. They are peaceful and try to go to school.

So, the idea of breaking the north as a political unit is not a bad one provided that it does not mean bringing them to join a "South". We in the East can work with the Christian north in a political alliance if you like (Like Zik did with Solomon Lar in Plateau State 1979 NPP).

Your proposal works for me as well too lol.
I as a Yoruba am not in any way rigidly attached
to a compulsory association with the ''East'' as you call it.

So long as we somehow break this warped stranglehold of the Upper North
on Nigeria.
Re: How To Break The North by ezeagu(m): 9:22pm On Feb 24, 2010
All Nigeria's problems (and most of Africa) stems from the lack of a dominant culture, Africa was doing well under the various (different) cultures of Europe that were homogenous, and they never planned for their colonies to stop being colonies. That plus the fact that Africa's survival independent of them didn't interest them led to the gargantuan and meaningless (culture-less, history-less and pride-less, no gelling factor) 'countries' that are often misnamed as 'nations'.

All of you can argue about various things that are just a result of the cause you're tiptoeing about (well most of you), the fact that none of Africa's borders were changed (the same borders that ripped families apart for the benefit of European Lords) since 18-who-knows-when.

You only have to look at a map of European and African countries and then the map of their language/ethnicities to know that colonizers did not squeeze money out of your ancestors by not planning.
Re: How To Break The North by Afam(m): 9:24pm On Feb 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

1. Can you explain how Igbos were the guilty bystanders?

2. If other people are marginalized in Nigeria is it a crime for the Igbos to complain simply because other people chose not to?

Please provide answers to these questions instead of making blanket statements.
Re: How To Break The North by dayokanu(m): 9:30pm On Feb 24, 2010
^^^ Start from the coup masterminded by majorly Igbo Soldiers that elimnated the Premier of the west, North, Prime Minster(Northerner) , Finance Minister(South-South) but miraculously No eastern Politician was deemed as corrupt or worthy of elimination.

That is the root of triblism in this country
Re: How To Break The North by Katsumoto: 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

@marcdunu

If my memory serves me correctly, Azikiwe had an alliance with the North for the first republic. How did that alliance end? Was the alliance with the Yoruba(AG). Do you speak for all Igbo people? I don't think so. You are entitled to your own wishes but if the majority of Igbo people decide to form an alliance with Yoruba people, there is nothing YOU can do about it.

Besides, the politics of the 60s are no more with us. Nigeria no longer plays regional politics. If your alliance refers to the hypothetical scenario involving the break up of Nigeria, then Yoruba will be fine regardless of any alliance. How fickle minded are you? Are you so easily swayed that you allowed yourself to be influenced by comments on NL? Anyway, that is your prerogative.
Re: How To Break The North by ezeagu(m): 9:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
Do you people rehearse these overdone history threads?
Re: How To Break The North by doyin13(m): 9:42pm On Feb 24, 2010
Na wa oo. . . grin grin grin

How did the thread I opened turn into a Biafra discussion angry angry angry
Re: How To Break The North by Afam(m): 9:46pm On Feb 24, 2010
dayokanu:

^^^ Start from the coup masterminded by majorly Igbo Soldiers that elimnated the Premier of the west, North, Prime Minster(Northerner) , Finance Minister(South-South) but miraculously No eastern Politician was deemed as corrupt or worthy of elimination.

That is the root of triblism in this country

Thanks for your post but why did you now claim that the Finance minister was from the South South when indeed he was from the same region the leader of that coup came from - Mid Western region?

There was a Yoruba man amongst the coup plotters and if it was an Igbo coup then the likes of Ironsi and Ojukwu wouldn't have crushed the coup.

Any other questions?
Re: How To Break The North by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 24, 2010
doyin13:

Na wa oo. . . grin grin grin

How did the thread I opened turn into a Biafra discussion angry angry angry

yay!!!! !!!

from nairaland to biafrapoundland and beyond!!!!
Re: How To Break The North by Katsumoto: 10:39pm On Feb 24, 2010
Afam:

Thanks for your post but why did you now claim that the Finance minister was from the South South when indeed he was from the same region the leader of that coup came from - Mid Western region?

There was a Yoruba man amongst the coup plotters and if it was an Igbo coup then the likes of Ironsi and Ojukwu wouldn't have crushed the coup.

Any other questions?

Ifeajuna was the leader of the coup. Nzeogwu was recruited at an advanced stage of the planning. Why is it that Igbo people claim Anioma Igbos as Igbo but always refer to Nzeogwu as a mid-westerner?

We have debated this issue several times.
Re: How To Break The North by asha80(m): 10:45pm On Feb 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

Ifeajuna was the leader of the coup. Nzeogwu was recruited at an advanced stage of the planning. Why is it that Igbo people claim Anioma Igbos as Igbo but always refer to Nzeogwu as a mid-westerner?

We have debated this issue several times.

Was nzeogwu an easterner as of that time Does the fact that he was a midwesterner at that time mean he is not igbo How many igbos have you seen say that Nzeogwu IS NOT igbo
Re: How To Break The North by Katsumoto: 10:53pm On Feb 24, 2010
asha 80:

Was nzeogwu an easterner as of that time Does the fact that he was a midwesterner at that time mean he is not igbo How many igbos have you seen say that Nzeogwu IS NOT igbo

So from the post below, why is Afam trying to distance Nzeogwu from Igbo by claiming he is from the mid-west?
Don't respond to only my post; if there are factual inaccuracies being stated by anyone, then you should be able to challenge them regardless. I have witnessed it many times on this forum where Igbo people claim Nzeogwu was from the mid-west. The fact is that Nzeogwu was Igbo and he was NOT the leader of the coup.

Afam:

Any other questions?
Re: How To Break The North by asha80(m): 11:30pm On Feb 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

So from the post below, why is Afam trying to distance Nzeogwu from Igbo by claiming he is from the mid-west?
Don't respond to only my post; if there are factual inaccuracies being stated by anyone, then you should be able to challenge them regardless. I have witnessed it many times on this forum where Igbo people claim Nzeogwu was from the mid-west. The fact is that Nzeogwu was Igbo and he was NOT the leader of the coup.

You the one confusing a lot of things.As at the time of the coup Okotie Eboh(whom dayokanu was referring to as someone from the present south south) and Nzeogwu were fro the same mid-west.Is that a lie?

Now is someone saying that Nzeogwu is no longer igbo because he was from the midwest?To be honest you are confusing yourself.

Ok now Are yorubas from present kwara state no longer yorubas because they are tagged middle belt or north?

Is Sunday Awoniyi no longer yoruba despite the fact that he was one time the chairman of Arewa Consultative forum?

Does someone cease to be from a particular ethnic group once he hails from a political zone where is ethnic group is a minority?

Igbos that say Nzeogwu was a midwesterner did they say he is no longer igbo?

I am sure you where referring to a particular thread were ndu chuks claimed that Nzeogwu was an easterner and he was corrected by some people with me included.Are we wrong to say that he was a midwesterner?Is he no longer igbo?
Re: How To Break The North by marcdunu: 11:47pm On Feb 24, 2010
doyin13:

lol. . .

Na wa. . what hopes do we have of breaking the North like I propose
if the Southerners are still fighting themselves over historical irrelevances.

You can not shape your future without understanding your history

A river that does not recognise its source dries up quickly
Re: How To Break The North by Katsumoto: 11:50pm On Feb 24, 2010
asha 80:

You the one confusing a lot of things.As at the time of the coup Okotie Eboh(whom dayokanu was referring to as someone from the present south south) and Nzeogwu were fro the same mid-west.Is that a lie?

Now is someone saying that Nzeogwu is no longer igbo because he was from the midwest?To be honest you are confusing yourself.

Ok now Are yorubas from present kwara state no longer yorubas because they are tagged middle belt or north?

Is Sunday Awoniyi no longer yoruba despite the fact that he was one time the chairman of Arewa Consultative forum?

[b]Does someone cease to be from a particular ethnic group once he hails from a political zone where is ethnic group is a minority?

Igbos that say Nzeogwu was a midwesterner did they say he is no longer igbo?

I am sure you where referring to a particular thread were ndu chuks claimed that Nzeogwu was an easterner and he was corrected by some people with me included.[/b]Are we wrong to say that he was a midwesterner?Is he no longer igbo?

If you and other Igbo people accept that Nzeogwu was Igbo, then it is disingenuous on the part of those Igbo people who claim he is from the mid-west just because they want to reduce Igbo complicity in the coup. The fact is that, he was Igbo and that should be the end of it.

I am not referring to any thread; my response is predicated on Afam's postulation. Please read Afam's statement again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Modification Process / Checkout The Huge Weapons ISIS Collected From Nigerian Army - Photos / See The Condition Of The Stadium Buhari Named After MKO Abiola- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.