Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,845 members, 7,942,117 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 08:38 PM

Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis (970 Views)

Romans 7 : The Flesh Test - Paul Ellis / Have I Committed The Unforgivable Sin? - Paul Ellis / 3 Reasons Why I Don't Preach On Repentance ( "Turn From Sin" ) - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:17pm On Sep 18, 2017
Whenever I tell people about God’s goodness, I can just about guarantee that someone will call for balance and say I should also preach on God’s severity. Then they will quote this verse:

Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in his goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. (Rom 11:22, NKJV)

“You see, God is kind, but he’s also severe, so watch yourself! God has given you a chance to repent, but now you have to prove you were worth it by getting your act together, otherwise it’s the chop for you!”

And we wonder why unbelievers don’t get excited about this so-called gospel!

In my ongoing series on eternal security, I have maintained that we are saved by grace and kept by grace. Your eternal security rests on God’s promises, not your behavior. But, the insecure don’t believe it. They read the above passage and worry that they will be cut off if they fail to continue in the Lord’s kindness.

How do you continue? The insecure are uncertain, but it probably has something to do with working hard, being good, and hoping for the best. But look at what Paul says:

You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. (Rom 11:19)

This is about belief not behavior, faith not works. “They were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith.” Continuing in God’s goodness is less about working and more about trusting. But I am getting ahead of myself. Before we go further we need to ask an an important question:

Who is Paul talking about?

Who are the “they” that were broken off and who are the “you” that were grafted it? Paul is not speaking about individuals and he is not speaking about the church. He is talking about Jews and Gentiles:

Concerning Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people.” … I am talking to you Gentiles. (Rom 10:21, 11:13)

The nation of Israel, as a group, was broken off and the Gentiles, as a group, were grafted in. The Jews had been shown favor from the Lord but they did not receive it (although certain individual Jews had, such as Paul himself). God reached out to the Jews in love but they gave him the cold shoulder. Now God’s favor is also extended to the Gentiles.

For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him. (Rom 10:12)

God’s desire is to bless everyone, but not everyone receives his blessing. As a group the Jews tried to earn his favor and were cut off. That sounds like divine judgment as though God were rejecting them. But look at what Paul says:

Did God reject his people? By no means! … God did not reject his people… they stumbled … they were broken off because of unbelief. (Rom 11:1,2,11,20)

The condemnation of unbelief is self-inflicted. Refuse his blessings and you won’t be blessed. You’ll be cursed. This is why Paul warns the Gentiles to “continue in God’s kindness.”

What is God’s kindness?

God’s kindness refers to his unmerited favor or grace which comes to us through Jesus:

In order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. (Eph 2:7)

To continue in kindness is to continue in grace which is to continue in Christ.

As a nation, the Jews stumbled in unbelief. But the grace of God is for the whole world. Hence Paul says, “Don’t boast over the Jews – you Gentiles have a window of opportunity, like they did, and it won’t last forever. Receive God’s goodness! Receive Jesus! Confess him as Lord (Rom 10:9). Clothe yourself with Christ (Rom 13:14).”

What about God’s severity?

Here is the wrong way to interpret the severity passage: “I need to work hard for God and keep 100% of his commands to avoid getting cut off.” That’s what the Jews thought and it led to their downfall. By betting on their performance they rejected God’s grace.

And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace. (Rom 11:6)

At the start of his letter to the Romans, Paul says everyone receives one of two gifts from the Lord. We either receive the free gift of his righteousness that comes by faith (Rom 1:17), or we receive, through hard-nosed and stubborn unbelief, the unwanted gift of his wrath (Rom 1:18). The Jews, as a group, had chosen the bad gift (Rom 10:21). We do well to choose the good one.

Who is in danger of being cut off?

Not those who are joined to the Lord.

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:28)

The insecure thinks, “If I can graft myself in through belief, then I can cut myself off through unbelief.” To this I respond, “You are saved by Jesus and kept by Jesus. You are one with the Lord and what God has joined together, no man can tear apart.”

“But what if I stop continuing in his kindness.” Paul answers that question when he talks about the importance of continuing in the faith. Although there are consequences to not continuing, Paul never says the Christian will be cut off. You are the body of Christ and Jesus doesn’t self-amputate.

Continue in his kindness, otherwise, you also will be cut off. (Rom 11:22)

Remember, Paul is addressing groups – Jews and Gentiles – not individuals. He clarifies this in the next two verses: “And if the Jews… You Gentiles…” (Rom 11:23-24, GNB). The Jews, as a group, were written off even as individual Jews, such as he and all the apostles, were grafted in through faith. Similarly, the Gentiles as a group have benefited from the kindness of God, but individual Gentiles may yet miss out through unbelief.

None of this talk about being cut off from Christ applies to Christians. But don’t take my word for it. Here is the Believer’s Bible Commentary:

It must be constantly borne in mind that Paul is not speaking of the church or of individual believers. He is speaking about the Gentiles as such. Nothing can ever separate the Body of Christ from the Head, and nothing can separate a believer from the love of God…

Romans 11 is a warning to those who, like the Jews, stubbornly refuse the grace and goodness of God. Reject his blessings and you’ll curse yourself. This should not frighten the believer. Although the Gentiles as a group may receive or miss out on God’s grace, the body of Christ will never, ever experience the sternness or severity of God. It’s one or the other, not both. Don’t let anyone curse what God has blessed.

Romans is good news for the believer!

Romans 11 has been used to sow fear and terror into the children of God. It has been twisted into a works-based message of conditional salvation that is a million miles from Paul’s heart. We would not fall for this nonsense if we had an assurance of our Father’s love and grace. If only Paul had given us such an assurance. He does!

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. (Rom 8:15-16)

The Holy Spirit says you belong to your heavenly Father and you are his dearly beloved child. If a sermon on Romans 11 fills you with fear, you can be sure that the spirit behind it is not the Holy Spirit. If Romans 11 scares you, read Romans 8.

https://escapetoreality.org/2015/03/11/the-severity-of-god-romans-11v22/
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:53pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hai
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:24pm On Sep 19, 2017
Whaaa??
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:24pm On Sep 19, 2017
Whaaa?? .....
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:20pm On Sep 20, 2017
Ok
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:04am On Sep 21, 2017
Hello
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:58pm On Sep 21, 2017
Hey
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:59pm On Nov 14, 2017
jiggaz:
Hai
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:09pm On Dec 14, 2017
jiggaz:
Hai
hh
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
Thank you Jesus!!
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:42pm On Aug 14, 2018
Yes Lord
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:39am On Aug 19, 2018
Morning
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2018
Lord Jesus
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:07pm On Mar 06, 2020
Thank you Lord Jesus...
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:37am On Mar 07, 2020
Yes
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:16pm On Mar 07, 2020
Good
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:52am On Mar 08, 2020
Morning
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:52pm On Mar 08, 2020
Now
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:14pm On Mar 08, 2020
Yeah...
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:17pm On Mar 11, 2020
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:29pm On Nov 09, 2020
jiggaz:
Hai
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:54am On Nov 10, 2020
Okay
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:35am On Dec 13, 2020
Yeah
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:04pm On Sep 30, 2021
Thank you Lord Jesus!!
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:07am On Jun 06, 2022
Thank you Lord Jesus!
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:17pm On Jun 06, 2022
Listen!!
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:54pm On Jun 07, 2022
Okay
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:30pm On Jun 08, 2022
Yep!
Re: Consider The Severity Of God ( Romans 11:22 ) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2022
Yeah!

(1) (Reply)

Have You Met Jesus With The Gospel Of The Water And The Spirit? / Hundreds Worship Beyonce At San Francisco's Grace Cathedral / Dr Sunday Adelaja Challenges, Challenges Adeboye, Oyedpo, Olukoya And All GO'S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.