Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,346 members, 7,881,283 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:49 PM

Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! (744 Views)

Buhari Raises 13-Member Panel To Probe Weapon Procurement Since 2007 / FG Sets Up Panel To Slash Politicians, Others Salaries / Nigeria Needs N8tn To Complete Ongoing Federal Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! by PapaBrowne(m): 2:40am On Mar 02, 2010
Jonathan raises panel to probe federal projects
From LUCKY NWANKWERE, Abuja
Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday constituted a federal projects assessment committee to provide necessary information on their status across the country. The committee’s terms of reference, according to a statement signed by his Senior Special Assistant, Mr. Ima Niboro, are as follows:

•To take inventory of all ongoing projects awarded by the Federal Government;
•To assess the level of funding of each project;
•To undertake a physical inspection of each project to determine work done and to ascertain whether it is commensurate to the amount paid to the contractors;

•To evaluate the professional competence of the contractors handling the various projects;
•To determine whether the level of execution of the projects is in accordance with the terms of the contract agreement between the Federal Government and the contractor;
•To examine a plan of action that is realistic, practical and achievable including implementation phases for the execution of the projects;
•To examine the reason given if applicable why the projects were not executed in accordance with the terms of contract agreement at the time of the award; and
•To make appropriate recommendations to Government on how to fast-track the completion of the projects.

The federal projects assessment committee is headed by Arc. Ibrahim Bunu others are Mr. Bon Otti (Vice Chairman), Mr. Iboro Ege-Edaba, Mr. Yomi Awoniyi, Navy Capt. Caleb Olubolade,(rtd.) Prof. Aminu Mikailu, Engr. (Dr.) Idris Abubakar, Engr. Pius Okpa, Mrs. Kate Okparake, Engr. Usman Abubakar and Engr. Gbola Tokun.

The rest include Engr. Etodo Inyang, Prof. Akoh N. Ugbabe, Engr. Ummi Aminu, Engr. Olusegun Adedeji, Engr. Khalil Inuwa, Engr. B. K. Mohammed and Dr. O. O Oluleye of the Office of Secretary of the Government of the Federation as member/secretary.
Niboro said the committee, to be inaugurated by the Acting President on Thursday, March 4, had three months to complete its assignment and
submit a report to government.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/mar/02/national-02-03-2010-001.htm
Re: Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! by PapaBrowne(m): 2:48am On Mar 02, 2010
Two things:
1) The outline of work for the committee is well defined.
2) The appointees are apolitical, professional!

I call it overdrive! He has hit the ground running!
He understands the fierce urgency of now!!
This is a good start.
Re: Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! by SkyBlue1: 2:55am On Mar 02, 2010
I understand that after three years of Yar Adua anything would look like progress but please, Johnathan is working but he is not on overdrive abeg, so no need to use such words as "overdrive" to whip up sentiment. This sort of news is getting stale. Bearing in mind that this is working on a federal level and not running some backyard pure water operation, the fact that someone would think having a committee set up with a properly defined outline and appointing people who actually know the field is "working on overdrive", really is a sign of the times. There is so much to be done and he still hasn't addressed electoral reforms and a host of other issues. When he begins to do some serious multi tasking on the overbearing issues, then you can use the word "overdrive". For now he appears to be doing something.
Re: Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! by PapaBrowne(m): 3:10am On Mar 02, 2010
Sky Blue:

I understand that after three years of Yar Adua anything would look like progress but please, Johnathan is working but he is not on overdrive abeg, so no need to use such words as "overdrive" to whip up sentiment. This sort of news is getting stale. Bearing in mind that this is working on a federal level and not running some backyard pure water operation, the fact that someone would think having a committee set up with a properly defined outline and appointing people who actually know the field is "working on overdrive", really is a sign of the times. There is so much to be done and he still hasn't addressed electoral reforms and a host of other issues. When he begins to do some serious multi tasking on the overbearing issues, then you can use the word "overdrive".

Skyblue,
You expect him to address electoral reform in his first two days in office?? Haba!

My point is simple- He is taking the right steps! And he is doing them fast! In my books thats called an overdrive especially when viewed from the snail speed approach to everything by  Yar Adua!!

All that makes the difference in performance is the people you appoint to undertake any project. He is appointing technocrats as against the usual appointment of politicians. That makes all the difference.
Re: Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! by SkyBlue1: 3:25am On Mar 02, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Skyblue,
You expect him to address electoral reform in his first two days in office?? Haba!

My point is simple- He is taking the right steps! And he is doing them fast! In my books thats called an overdrive especially when viewed from the snail speed approach to everything by  Yar Adua!!

All that makes the difference in performance is the people you appoint to undertake any project. He is appointing technocrats as against the usual appointment of politicians. That makes all the difference.

I am simply saying your assesment is premature especially when backed up with such reasoning as seen in your post (and I stand by it). In one breath you make it sound unreasonable to ask him to begin addressing electoral reforms, and in the next you say he is "taking the right steps". If he can take "the right steps" with regards to federal projects, why can't he equally "take the right steps" with regards to electoral reform? I can't speak for you, but for me, if he does not seriously begin looking at electoral reforms in the next ten days, then I won't even take him serious. Elections are next year and running an election requires time to prepare. So if tackling electoral reforms which would ensure a better running of elections (the bedrock of a democracy) isn;t extremely urgent now, when would it be? When will he get to it?

The part of your post I highlighted in bold simply sums up your post and what I was saying in the first place. Yar Adua would have made a primary school student look good, so such comparisons do not buffer your alleged points and are not flattering. You keep saying he is in "overdrive", and all you have to back it up with is setting up of committees in two days? Considering he was in government all these years and he had the backing of the legislature since last week, if he hadn't at least done something I guess he would still be riding high in your estimation, right? Please stop praising Johnathan for not being Yar Adua or for not being a tyrant. Have some standards for crying out loud.
Re: Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! by PapaBrowne(m): 3:47am On Mar 02, 2010
^^^^^
The first steps make all the difference. If in my perception, he is getting the first steps right and doing so at a pace i deem superb, then I have every right to be optimistic!

Overdrive is a state of heightened activity or concentration. Lets not beat about the bush, his actions are positive. I choose to be optimistic!!
Re: Jonathan Is On Overdrive! Raises Panel To Probe Federal Projects! by SkyBlue1: 3:55am On Mar 02, 2010
PapaBrowne:

^^^^^
The first steps make all the difference. If in my perception, he is getting the first steps right and doing so at a pace i deem superb, then I have every right to be optimistic!

Overdrive is a state of heightened activity or concentration.  Lets not beat about the bush, his actions are positive. I choose to be optimistic!!

Never claimed his actions to be negative and neither did I claim I wasn't optimistic. I simply think your glowing reviews do not have any substance of merit to stand on. I am genuinely meant to take your estimation of him serious when you seem to be impressed that he was able to set up a committee with a clear agenda and being headed by people in the field? What else are we going to applaud him for if that is something worth applauding? Such actions don't even fall in the mould of your definition of overdrive, they are just commonsense principles.

If first steps are that important, then his is missing a lot of agendas so far, however, there is still a little time left to see if he will pick them up.

(1) (Reply)

Protest To The Presidential Villa (aso Rock) / Obj’s Secret Plot: Wants El-rufai To Run As Jonathan’s Deputy In 2011 / Americans Raise Nigeria Security Alert Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.