Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,211 members, 7,884,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 06:24 AM

Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe (1586 Views)

What Nigerian Tribe Is Know For This Tradition? / See The Nigerian Tribe Where Women Don’t Wear Clothes For The Fear Of Death [PIC / Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by manofsun: 11:05pm On Sep 19, 2017
Hi.

I am an Afro-Caribbean and have recently received DNA results that show I am a descendant of Nigeria. This has been confirmed by 23andme, Ancestry DNA, GEDmatch, DNA.Land, and several other companies.

I am extremely happy and proud to be from such a beautiful land with such rich culture. However, I am trying to dig deeper to see if I can find out more about which tribe I may come from; especially on my father's side.

I have attached some photos below of my Grandfather and wondered if it is clear to anybody which tribe he could be from in Nigeria.
Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by gunpoint(m): 11:44pm On Sep 19, 2017
Bros
You na IPOB na
Python dance dey wait you oh
No dull

1 Like

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by Nobody: 4:53am On Sep 20, 2017
Just Nigerian?

I think those tests are rigged to make everybody Nigerian undecided

You look like a flat head though grin
Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by Wulfruna(f): 9:11am On Sep 20, 2017
Argh.

Again.

Dear Diasporic Blacks, you cannot tell these things accurately by looking at someone's face.

Your grandfather's face could belong to an Igbo, a Nupe, could even belong to a Malian, a Kenyan or a Zambian.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by manofsun: 9:50am On Sep 20, 2017
Wulfruna:
Argh.

Again.

Dear Diasporic Blacks, you cannot tell these things accurately by looking at someone's face.

Your grandfather's face could belong to an Igbo, a Nupe, could even belong to a Malian, a Kenyan or a Zambian.

We're talking about Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade diaspora here so very unlikely it would belong to a Kenyan or a Zambian or anyone other than a West-African for that matter but I get your point.

My intention isn't to find my tribe by a simple face guess, but if he does bear a striking resemblance to a specific tribe then that would give me something to work with for more refined research. I already know I am of Nigerian descent for the most part as DNA confirms it, one goes as far to say the Lower Part of the Valley. This does match the history of the island of Jamaica whose highest percentage of slaves were Igbo (followed by Akan and Yoruba). The village in Jamaica my grandfather is from is well known to practice what's considered a type of Voodou called Obeah; which is also said to have made it's way to the Island from Igbo slaves.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 20, 2017
You are ijaw
Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by nengibo: 4:58pm On Sep 20, 2017
You are Ikwerre
Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 20, 2017
manofsun:

We're talking about Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade diaspora here so very unlikely it would belong to a Kenyan or a Zambian or anyone other than a West-African for that matter but I get your point.

My intention isn't to find my tribe by a simple face guess, but if he does bear a striking resemblance to a specific tribe then that would give me something to work with for more refined research. I already know I am of Nigerian descent for the most part as DNA confirms it, one goes as far to say the Lower Part of the Valley. This does match the history of the island of Jamaica whose highest percentage of slaves were Igbo (followed by Akan and Yoruba). The village in Jamaica my grandfather is from is well known to practice what's considered a type of Voodou called Obeah; which is also said to have made it's way to the Island from Igbo slaves.
His point is that you are a heavily mixed group of people and a lot of slaves came from other parts of Africa too. That means that face can fit in perfectly in several tribes all over the place.
Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by manofsun: 8:07pm On Sep 20, 2017
Muafrika2:

His point is that you are a heavily mixed group of people and a lot of slaves came from other parts of Africa too. That means that face can fit in perfectly in several tribes all over the place.

Generally speaking yes, however, I am from a group of people known as Maroons; runaway slaves who are known to have not mixed much. My DNA also confirms this as I have a very high percentage of Nigerian ancestry (over ~50% - very rare for a non-native). My grandfather even told me before he passed away last year and before I had my DNA tested, that we are descendants of Nigeria as this has been passed down orally from his father, and his father (etc.). I know face guessing is extremely difficult and never 100% accurate, I'm just wondering if he has any distinct features.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 20, 2017
If I ask, was your Grandfather a Rastafarian?
Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by manofsun: 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2017
Hati13:
If I ask, was your Grandfather a Rastafarian?

He was indeed! He would always speak of his love for the motherland (West Africa) and would encourage us (children and grandchildren) to trace and embrace our roots.
Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 20, 2017
manofsun:

He was indeed! He would always speak of his love for the motherland (West Africa) and would encourage us (children and grandchildren) to trace and embrace our roots.
He was right.
By the way, sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by RedboneSmith(m): 8:49pm On Sep 20, 2017
manofsun:

Generally speaking yes, however, I am from a group of people known as Maroons; runaway slaves who are known to have not mixed much. My DNA also confirms this as I have a very high percentage of Nigerian ancestry (over ~50% - very rare for a non-native). My grandfather even told me before he passed away last year and before I had my DNA tested, that we are descendants of Nigeria as this has been passed down orally from his father, and his father (etc.). I know face guessing is extremely difficult and never 100% accurate, I'm just wondering if he has any distinct features.

The Maroons seem to have been heavily Akan, from everything I have read on the subject. So while you have a high percentage of Nigerian (probably largely Igbo) ancestry I'd wager my bottom dollar you have a good dose of Akan in you too.

Your grandfather doesn't have any distinctive features. He looks like a regular black man and will blend into any crowd anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by manofsun: 8:54pm On Sep 20, 2017
RedboneSmith:

The Maroons seem to have been heavily Akan, from everything I have read on the subject. So while you have a high percentage of Nigerian (probably largely Igbo) ancestry I'd wager my bottom dollar you have a good dose of Akan in you too.

Your grandfather doesn't have any distinctive features. He looks like a regular black man and will blend into any crowd anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa.

Really appreciate your input! - Definitely no Akan blood on my father's side. Have tested with several companies, all of which have Akan samples to measure against. I have about 6 or 7% Akan ancestry from my mother, none from my father's side. My paternal line is very heavily Nigerian (as you mentioned, probably Igbo), and a small percentage of Bamoun (Cameroon).

1 Like

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by bigfrancis21: 11:29pm On Sep 20, 2017
manofsun:
Hi.

I am an Afro-Caribbean and have recently received DNA results that show I am a descendant of Nigeria. This has been confirmed by 23andme, Ancestry DNA, GEDmatch, DNA.Land, and several other companies.

I am extremely happy and proud to be from such a beautiful land with such rich culture. However, I am trying to dig deeper to see if I can find out more about which tribe I may come from; especially on my father's side.

I have attached some photos below of my Grandfather and wondered if it is clear to anybody which tribe he could be from in Nigeria.

First of all, congratulations on your concern and interest in bridging the miles and miles of oceans apart to reconnect to your African roots/ancestry. Not every diasporic black shows interest in this. This is really good.

Second, the images of your father are kind of hard to tell which tribe in Nigeria he belongs to. I took a look at them and couldn't strike at least a resemblance to a Nigerian tribe. I was going to even say Fulani of Northern Nigeria, known to have slender faces, but only a very few Fulanis were sold as slaves to the new world.

Third, to find specifically your tribal roots, there is a more specific DNA test that is done that connects you to the actual tribe you come from. Now that you know that you are Nigerian by descent, you can re-test again against Igbo, Ibibio, Yoruba, etc. DNA databases to find your actual match. Given that a high number of Bight of Biafran slaves were sent to Jamaica, you are probably 70% chance of being Igbo or 30% of being Yoruba. That is the only way that you can know for sure where your paternal ancestor came from.

If you do finally test out to be Igbo, nwanne nno! (brother welcome!) cheesy Welcome back into the Igbo fold! cheesy

You would probably need to do a little more in the reclamation process, such as picking an Igbo name (forcefully taken away from your ancestor) and maybe visiting Nigeria someday! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by manofsun: 11:53pm On Sep 20, 2017
bigfrancis21:

First of all, congratulations on your concern and interest in bridging the miles and miles of ocean apart to reconnect to your African roots/ancestry. Not every diasporic black shows interest in this. This is really good.

Second, the images of your father are kind of hard to tell which tribe in Nigeria he belongs to. I took a look at them and couldn't strike at least a resemblance to a Nigerian tribe. I was going to even say Fulani of Northern Nigeria, known to have slender faces, but only a very few Fulanis were sold as slaves to the new world.

Third, to find specifically your tribal roots, there is a more specific DNA test that is done that connects you to the actual tribe you come from. Now that you know that you are Nigerian by descent, you can re-test again against Igbo, Ibibio, Yoruba, etc. DNA databases to find your actual match. Given that a high number of Bight of Biafran slaves were sent to Jamaica, you are probably 70% chance of being Igbo or 30% of being Yoruba. That is the only way that you can know for sure where your paternal ancestor came from.

If you do finally test out to be Igbo, nwanne nno! (brother welcome!) cheesy Welcome back into the Igbo fold! cheesy

You would probably need to do a little more in the reclamation process, such as picking an Igbo name (forcefully taken away from your ancestor) and maybe visiting Nigeria someday! cheesy

Thank you very much for taking the time to share all of this information with me brother and for your warm welcome! I really appreciate it.

Regarding travelling to Nigeria, I am hoping to do so sometime next year, this is why I'm really intrigued about finding out which tribe specifically I share DNA with. I also have two young children who I wish to raise as Nigerian children with full knowledge of their culture (food, language, dress, etc.). I also wish to change my name once I finally find out.

I refuse to continue claiming a plantation island as my home. My soul has never ever been comfortable with that. I am an African of mostly Nigerian ancestry who has been taken from his home, split away from his family and stripped of his language and culture but I will not rest until I reclaim it all by the permission of God.

3 Likes

Re: Trying To Find My Paternal Nigerian Tribe by Nobody: 3:50am On Sep 21, 2017
manofsun:

Okay.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do All Blacks Have This Inferiority Complex In Them On The White Men / The World Most Hairest Girl / Why Don't The Ibos Have Renowned Kings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.