Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,796 members, 7,930,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 06:00 AM

Vitiligo- What It Means And The Possible Causes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Vitiligo- What It Means And The Possible Causes (391 Views)

Cute Ugandan Boy With Blue Eyes And Vitiligo (Photos) / Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) / Bride-to-be Develops Vitiligo (skin Disorder) Months Before Her Wedding (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Vitiligo- What It Means And The Possible Causes by RxH8: 11:27am On Sep 21, 2017
Curtis McDaniel, a 22 year old with vitiligo has redefined the modeling world. For him, the journey to stardom was not palatable and it was as if the whole world was against him. At the age of 11, he noticed a white spot on his skin which ceased to go. “I didn’t know what it was, and it wasn’t coming off. I told my mom, and she made a dermatology appointment”. Daniel was diagnosed with vitiligo, a chronic skin condition associated with emotional distress.

Unlike other kids, growing up was a challenge to Daniel. As the white spots continued to spread to other parts, the humiliation he suffered from his peers increased. “They used to call me zebra, burnt lips, giraffe, Michael Jackson,” he said. “I got into a few fights because of it .I got kicked out of class a lot.”He lost his self esteem and this made him consider the option of wearing makeup to conceal his spots. “When people said I was ugly, I actually believed that,” he said. “There were times when I was in my room when I was going through a lot and I just wanted to commit suicide.”

The turning point for Curtis was at 16. His father talked to him and this brought him out of his shell, although shortly thereafter he lost him. “He was like, ‘no, I want you to be better than me…….When you grow up, never put your hand on a woman. Never drink. Never smoke. Never do drugs. And above all things, put God first,” McDaniel said. Overtime his confidence improved to the point of being able to leave home without make-up. He began to love himself.

Curtis McDaniel’s modeling potential became clear in 2015 when he posted a selfie on Instagram. He became the delight of many photographers when the picture got viral and the rest is history. Curtis overcame the odds to become a source of inspiration to kids with similar health problems. “I’m going to pursue that and modeling,” he said.

Would you like to know more about Vitiligo? Consider the following frequently asked questions?

Source: http://www.healthx24.com/vitiligo-top-model-despite-skin-condition/

Re: Vitiligo- What It Means And The Possible Causes by RxH8: 11:30am On Sep 21, 2017
What is Vitiligo?

It is a skin condition characterized by white patches which are commonly found on the face. It could also be found in other parts of the body such as the eyes, armpit, groin, mouth, hand and foot. It also has the tendency of spreading. Vitiligo is close to another chronic skin condition, psoriasis. Sadly, Vitiligo is associated with social problems stigmatization, problems in sexual function, anxiety, self-esteem and difficulty finding employment

How Common Is Vitiligo?

Vitiligo occurs in less than 1% of general population. It cuts across all ages, gender and race. It usually occurs in the second and third decades of life. In very rare cases, babies may be born with vitiligo.

What are the possible Causes?

This is largely unknown but the following has been postulated:

An autoimmune disorder, body’s immune system fighting the skin cells.
Runs in the family
Stress
Sunburn
Is There a Cure for Vitiligo?

Unfortunately, there is no cure for vitiligo. Nevertheless, there are a few ways of managing the condition such as:

Camouflage
Use of corticosteroid cream
PUVA light therapy with psolaren cream.
Skin graft
This human story highlights the importance of cultivating resources to cope with health challenges. You may find yourself living with health conditions beyond your control. Some feel helpless and worried while others experience guilt, shame and depression. Rather than allow this become the focus of their lives, some like Curtis McDaniel turned adversity to opportunities, becoming a source of inspiration to millions of others worldwide.

http://www.healthx24.com/vitiligo-top-model-despite-skin-condition/

(1) (Reply)

You Need Fruits And Veggies Everyday / Health Benefits Of Cucumber / How To Protect Your Kidneys From Diseases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.