Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,411 members, 7,901,142 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 01:24 AM

FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? (4778 Views)

Buhari To Scrap Sports Ministry! / FIFA To Ban Nigeria By The End Of Today If... / FIFA To Investigate Footballer With 4 Birthdays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Lastbourne(m): 3:32am On Mar 05, 2010
Do we have offside when playing" monkey post" ?, Ans is No, Therefore abolishing the offside rule is a very smart move that would allow a free (, ier) grin flow of soccer
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by FBS: 7:37am On Mar 05, 2010
Lastbourne:

Do we have offside when playing" monkey post" ?, Ans is No, Therefore abolishing the offside rule is a very smart move that would allow a free (, ier) grin flow of soccer
Kai I enjoyed/enjoy "monkey post footie". Fast, furious and precise. The best if you ask me. grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by FBS: 7:45am On Mar 05, 2010
Eastbay:

I agree that there are poor nations involved with footie,particularly in Africa. In fact I think I remember seeing the cardboard being used in Africa and remembered wondering if I actually was believing my eyes at the time.
But truth be told,FIFA has more than enough dough to make any plan work anywhere in the world.
Sepp Blatter is basically sitting on pots of gold as FIFA president.I'm so sure FIFA will make a tonne of cash in SA in June,because corporate organizations are lining up themselves to make themselves sponsors of the World Cup.
I still think FIFA isn't doing enough to:
a: make 3rd World/African FAs financially independent from government.
b:encourage real football development in countries in these areas.
These points I raised are long-standing issues that Sepp Blatter used as his election campaign in 1998,and that was why African votes were largely in his favour during the elction against Hayatou.So far,it has come to naught.The scandal that erupted before the 2002 world cup where Blatter was implicated only served to tell us that there is lots of cash with FIFA and they do not know how to use it.
How does this tally with the title of this thread?Still boils down to FIFA avoiding the real,practical issues on ground for a quik fix all to make the game "attractive ".Hockey and football are two separate sports,hockey has a smaller pitch and their offside rule is so complicated,they actually could do without it.Right nowI don't think ther are too many complexities about the present offside rules as it stands today.Infact,the rule has been watered down to neutralise the defensive nature of some sides who bank on frustrating tactics like setting offside traps to focus on giving the advantage to the attacking player,though the kind of refs we have these days have suceeded in confusing us all the more.If FIFA was sincere,taking a few seconds off the clock to check video replays to get the right calls,as is done in tennis,cricket,rugby without taking away any of the excitement in any of those sports amongst others,will make the game more attractive to viewers who by and large want to see a game fairly decided.
My thoughts though:hope I make some sense
@Eastbay,
a) I'm not exactly sure this will work. How will they enforce that the money is spent properly. Too much money will make them sports administrators go mad.
b) Encouraging real footie development in Africa means big time competition for Europeans, etc. If our local leagues become strong and players are well paid, who will bother to travel out? Very few and that means, agents, some european clubs go hear am. You get my drift?
c) Refs like Overbo should be stripped unclothed in public and given 100 strokes of bulala. He is a total disgrace to footie. We have seen credible goals ruled out for offside and sadly though, we see this in every competition and UEFA/FIFACAF will eventually lose credibility.
Personally, I see both positives and negatives if they scrap the rule.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by fyneguy: 7:50am On Mar 05, 2010
With such a move, Nigeria is on the verge of winning the world cup.

Egbon Sepp, abeg scrap that thing jare. Me sef go resign for work, begin play footie  grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Dclique(m): 8:21am On Mar 05, 2010
Blatter, is getting too old for that position.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 05, 2010
Stop calling football footie please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Football not the Rugby we call football over here.!!!!!!!!
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by jessefly: 9:53am On Mar 05, 2010
ABEG OOH TO REMOVE OFFSIDE WILL NOT MAKE SENSE
WE SEE THIS EVERYDAY WEN KIDS WE PLAY FOOTBALL IN OUR HOOD HOW ONE LAZY STRIKER WILL JUS BE UPFRONT SHOUTING PASS PASS THEN HE GETS THE BALL N TRIES TO SCORE
DONT LIE WE GET PISSED BY SUCH SO WHY SHOULD THIS BE ALLOWED ON THE WORLD STAGE
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by bandely(m): 12:33pm On Mar 05, 2010
Dual Core:

Abi o, no more run run! Finally me and you fit enter football now grin
Yes oo, and I sabi score from Offside well well cheesy cheesy cheesy, I go get record pass Pele be that oo! grin grin grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by nomoreface: 12:50pm On Mar 05, 2010
@jessefly

I don't think  filippo inzagh will love your post!!  cheesy cheesy
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by ogbongzky(m): 12:56pm On Mar 05, 2010
With this kind of rule, Yakubu will just have to tie his PAMPERS to the post and be waiting for a ball to deflect in.

For Yobo, he will just have to retire because LOADS OF CALAMITIES WILL BEFELL HIM

For Drogba, well, he will become the Highest scorer in the century.

For Van Der Sar, He will have to grow taller, so his hand will be able to cover both sides of the goal post at once.

In fact, the effect is countless,
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Jarus(m): 1:12pm On Mar 05, 2010
@topic,
Abolish off-side and I will become the highest goal scorer in a FIFA tournament grin

Reminds me of secondary school. I was a prolific off-side scorer. I ruined so many 'sets' in secondary because of disregard for that rule. Just give me ball in my permanent place beside the keeper and I'll lead the ball into the net no matter who's keeping. Just two-touch, fast placing. . great goals. Every week I emerged highest goal scorer and every 'set' rooted for me despite my lethargic, Kanu-esque, style of play( I no fit stand injury).

I still have my 'off-side' scoring boot with me grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Jarus(m): 1:18pm On Mar 05, 2010
More seriously, abolishing off-side rule is the greatest disservice anybody can do to football. It takes out creativity in the role of striker. Beating defenders is the real work in striking, and less of putting the ball into the net. Anybody can put the ball into the net. But teh greatest work is how to beat those fierce men.

As an amateur striker/winger, off-side rule is the rule I hate most in informal, fun football because it clips my wing, but to take that to the professional level is most unthinkable.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by FBS: 2:24pm On Mar 05, 2010
Does anyone know when the offside rule was introduced?
Was football not played before then? grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by mrtidy(m): 2:44pm On Mar 05, 2010
I don't think scrapping off side would be confusing for players but the goal keepers its gon take a while for them goal keepers to adjust.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by bandely(m): 3:01pm On Mar 05, 2010
mrtidy:

I don't think scrapping off side would be confusing for players but the goal keepers its gon take a while for them goal keepers to adjust.
Yeah, then they will be need for three goalkeepers! grin grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by snakova(m): 3:34pm On Mar 05, 2010
sepp, are you high or just incredibly stupid
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 05, 2010
Change is the only thing that is constant in life. I would love to see this being experimented. I beleive it has more advantages than otherwise but at the same time let's simply practicalize it first; remember that 'kick-in' was introduced during U17 WC in Japan in '93 and when the weigh the option, it was later dropped.

But as I earler stated, it's a +ve development that would help to maintain simplicity of the game contrary to introducing Video evidence that d 3rd world countries may not be able to afford/maintain.

Bros Blatter; thumb up wink
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
FBS:

@Eastbay,
a) I'm not exactly sure this will work. How will they enforce that the money is spent properly. Too much money will make them sports administrators go mad.
b) Encouraging real footie development in Africa means big time competition for Europeans, etc. If our local leagues become strong and players are well paid, who will bother to travel out? Very few and that means, agents, some european clubs go hear am. You get my drift?
c) Refs like Overbo should be stripped unclothed in public and given 100 strokes of bulala. He is a total disgrace to footie. We have seen credible goals ruled out for offside and sadly though, we see this in every competition and UEFA/FIFACAF will eventually lose credibility.
Personally, I see both positives and negatives if they scrap the rule.
Too much money is what is making Blatter think of changing the rules of soccer as we know it.If the offside rule was introduced in,say,1930,do we want to go back that far just to make football attractive?I believe in forward innovation.The way it stands,this as is retro-active as it gets.The rule as it is is made for the striker,though brain-clotted officials will always conspire to confuse us about what offside really is.
If our leagues in Africa are better,it would only be better for us Africans.Who would give a flying Bleep about the EPL?
On the refs issue,I agree with you.Unfortunately,these same refs are going to make a mockery of Blatter by making all the wrong calls.Why scrap a rule whenyou still have incompetent refs to interprete the remaining rules?If FIFA doesn't deall with the standard of refereeing,through the introduction of Video Evidence,thenI'm afraid for the future of football.This offside thing is a subset of the rules of the game.FIFA is adopting the lazy approach in dealing with the issue.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by DualCore1: 10:16pm On Mar 05, 2010
9jaganja:

Stop calling football footie please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Football not the Rugby we call football over here.!!!!!!!!
You have energy o 

bandely:

Yeah, then they will be need for three goalkeepers!  grin grin
ehen jare, we go footie the footuballu anyhow!

mehn imagine standing with the keeper on the other side for 90 minutes. Me and the guy go just dey discuss matters arising. When ball come i tap am into the guy net.  grin

Blatter wants to make history  grin "The man who changed the game"

Football go come dey like basket ball. bounce bounce bounce score. opponent bounce bounce bounce score.

We'll be seeing Goal scores like Dolphins FC 30[b]:[/b]27 Arsenal
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by usbcable(m): 10:47pm On Mar 05, 2010
sulad82i:

THE BEST FORMATION EVER IN SUCH EVENTUALITY.

Blatter,
we asked for video tech, u go about asking how to cancel off-side rule.

@monkey-post-football.
-i enjoyed it alot
-in a game of two aside, staying in an offside postion wil attract a permanent defending companion,hence hard to score goals.
-infact i wil take a revolver and megaphone to the pitch for each game as a coach
the megaphone is for the keeper to bellow his longs out for the defenders never to leave him alone,while the revolver is to shoot any errant defender that goes upfront to pull a goal stunt.
KAPISH grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by dmxqo(m): 10:17am On Mar 06, 2010
But for real, Drogba must be celebrating.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 06, 2010
god this will make soccer interesting like mad.stronger defense fiercer attack.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by veelenz(m): 1:05pm On Mar 06, 2010
Well I think it will be a very excellent decision looking at the partiality in officiating that the offside rule has caused. Sometimes, referees deliberate mistake excellent goals for offsides and offside goals for goals thereby causing chaos in the pitch of play.

If FIFA can just quickly implement the abolishment of offside rule in football, the game will become straight-forward in that whenever the leather is seen inside the goal post we can conclude it is a goal and there will not be two or other ways about it. It will build up defenders to be conscious of their position per time and there won't be partiality again in the game. Teams will play the game with confidence and caution and not win by cheating or bribing referees. And if any team bribes a referee and they can't put the leather in the net, that will be a summary and shameful loss unlike when the offside rule makes it possible to cheat.

For example, in the semi-final encounter of the 2008 African Cup of Nations - Nigeria Vs. Cote d'voire, Didier Drogba scored from an offside position and the referee pointed to the centre line indicating it was a goal. If the offside rule was not in place, everybody would have taken it to be an excellent goal. What I am saying is that the abolishment of the offside rule will prepare every team for a massive attacking and defensive game to convert all possible chances to goals from any position and also defend the game from all positions.

Conclusively, It is a good plan by Sepp Blatter. I advise he should also look into the penalty, red card and yellow card rules.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by veelenz(m): 1:07pm On Mar 06, 2010
Well I think it will be a very fantastic decision, looking back at the partiality in officiating that the offside rule has caused. Sometimes, referees deliberate mistake excellent goals for offsides and offside goals for goals thereby causing chaos in the pitch of play.

If FIFA can just quickly implement the abolishment of offside rule in football, the game will become straight-forward in that whenever the leather is seen inside the goal post we can conclude it is a goal and there will not be two or other ways about it. It will build up defenders to be conscious of their position per time and there won't be partiality again in the game. Teams will play the game with confidence and caution and not win by cheating or bribing referees. And if any team bribes a referee and they can't put the leather in the net, that will be a summary and shameful loss unlike when the offside rule makes it possible to cheat.

For example, in the semi-final encounter of the 2008 African Cup of Nations - Nigeria Vs. Cote d'voire, Didier Drogba scored from an offside position and the referee pointed to the centre line indicating it was a goal. If the offside rule was not in place, everybody would have taken it to be an excellent goal. What I am saying is that the abolishment of the offside rule will prepare every team for a massive attacking and defensive game to convert all possible chances to goals from any position and also defend the game from all positions.

Conclusively, It is a good plan by Sepp Blatter. I advise he should also look into the penalty, red card and yellow card rules.[/color][/color]
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by bandely(m): 5:51pm On Mar 06, 2010
Dual Core:

You have energy o 

ehen jare, we go footie the footuballu anyhow!

mehn imagine standing with the keeper on the other side for 90 minutes. Me and the guy go just dey discuss matters arising. When ball come i tap am into the guy net.  grin

Blatter wants to make history  grin "The man who changed the game"

Football go come dey like basket ball. bounce bounce bounce score. opponent bounce bounce bounce score.

We'll be seeing Goal scores like Dolphins FC 30[b]:[/b]27 Arsenal
lol! Matter arising indeed, you fit even dey give am advice. grin grin
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by tayoast(m): 10:13pm On Mar 06, 2010
i'm imagining wat futbol 'll be like w/out d rule.

all Playas 'll have 2 be man-marked thruout d duration.

abi?? hw dem one do am??
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by comechop(m): 7:18am On Mar 07, 2010
Yet another confirmation that Blatter has definitely outlived his usefulness.

Couple reasons why he may be thinking of implementing this useless rule:
1. To please the americans. We all know that americans dont watch football cos they say that its too long and boring and NOT ENOUGH GOALS. Aboloshing offside rule will give unlimited goals - inzaghi would be the happiest of them all.
2. Like some1 stated earlier, he doesnt want to implement video regulation. I'm mixed on this one - on one hand i'd love to see this, but on the other,

Blatter needs to go - we need fresh minds and ideas on there on how to improve the standard of referring, what to do bout divers and cheaters and diving-and-falling-on-the-ball-and-catching-the-ball-while-falling-before-ref-fit-blow. That thing dey vex man-pikin.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by hassymo5(m): 4:04pm On Mar 07, 2010
Its a welcome idea. I support it because alot of cheating dey 4 dis offside of a thing. Now most defenders should know dat no offside and watch there back.
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by HAH: 5:59pm On Mar 07, 2010
i played hockey the abolishing of offside was one of the best thing that happened to that game it made player to be on it toes while refreee have less to worry about and if youknow hockey it is so close to soccer in many aspect isupport the scapping and it should be introcduced at under 17 first
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by vislabraye(m): 12:49pm On Mar 08, 2010
Drogba and Inzaghi would love Sepp Blatter for this smiley
Re: FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? by alldone(m): 2:53pm On Mar 08, 2010
this is sad. we would have more tackles because attacker will sit back at opponent post and defenders will deal with them.

the only thing we need is video evidence.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Top 10 Worst Ever Hairstyles In The English Premier League / Daily Rollover Bet!! / Siasia Says People Are Jealous Of Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.