Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,925 members, 7,942,333 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 07:47 AM

No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D (4101 Views)

N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term / How Abacha, Abusalami, Obasanjo, Dan Etete, Atiku, Pdp, Audu Ogbe, Vin Ogbulafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:21pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

This is one of the things the National Assembly should be working on. The Zoning arrangement is a good way to stabilize the polity and give the ethnic groups a sense of belonging.
I believe it can be perfected and included in the constitution.
In the spirit of fairness, I don't see anything wrong in the presidency going to the North in 2011 as long as the president can provide a purposeful leadership for all Nigerians.
There are better ways to give sense of belong without compromising competency
OBJ was the president, we have Soludo, Finance minister was not Yoruba woman, Ribadu was in taking care of fraud . . . . .That is how you give sense of belonging, without having to settle for less as the head of the nation.

Please note that i am not a blver of OBJ oh
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 5:26pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

There are better ways to give sense of belong without compromising competency
OBJ was the president, we have Soludo, Finance minister was not Yoruba woman, Ribadu was in taking care of fraud . . . . .That is how you give sense of belonging, without having to settle for less as the head of the nation.

Please note that i am not a blver of OBJ oh

You don't have to sacrifice competency, because there is no part of Nigeria that cannot at any given time find a competent person to lead Nigeria.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:28pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

You don't have to sacrifice competency, because there is no part of Nigeria that cannot at any given time find a competent person to lead Nigeria.

Do is that Democracy?
How will the election be conducted, when other zones cant contest cos their zone cant be the president till another 8 years
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by rickie4us(m): 5:38pm On Mar 04, 2010
God will deliver us from all these greedy chop I chop politicians ,
I guess we should start directing our prayer points to , all those that will not make this country move forward should just fall down and die
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 5:39pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Do is that Democracy?
How will the election be conducted, when other zones cant contest cos their zone cant be the president till another 8 years

Of course it is democracy. Democracy in USA is not the same as democracy in France or UK. This arrangement will be our own unique solution to our unique problem.
What is needed though are strong institutions to make sure no one pursues any ethnic agenda.
Each zone will simply wait it's turn.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:40pm On Mar 04, 2010
rickie4us:

God will deliver us from all these greedy chop I chop politicians ,
I guess we should start directing our prayer points to , all those that will not make this country move forward should just fall down and die

Lol
Tuyis:

Of course it is democracy. Democracy in USA is not the same as democracy in France or UK. This arrangement will be our own unique solution to our unique problem.
What is needed though are strong institutions to make sure no one pursues any ethnic agenda.
Each zone will simply wait it's turn.

I am loving the way u dialogue, at least we are not insultive . . . . Great
Now here are my question.
When it is turn of NW to lead, would the NE, SS, SW and SE have to vote as well?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Malter: 5:43pm On Mar 04, 2010
ARE YOU AFRAID OF PDP (Papa Deceive Pikin), Dont worry we know how to knock them off this time around.
We must fill in Southern Candidates and if they try stopping them during their primary selection, We promiuse ,they will not have any presidential candidate come 2011 cheesy cheesy
their time is up grin
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by preselect(m): 5:48pm On Mar 04, 2010
the rotational presidentcy is the only good thing the PDP ever did for this country and i fully support it. we have a history of ethnicity in this country that has been full of suspicion and violence. many parts of this country feel that they have been ''left aside'' in the scheme of things. before we can move forward as a country, we must all first have a feel of being a part of the country.

today, Igbos and the south-south feel that nigeria is not thier country. the yorubas and hausas dont feel the same way. why? the hausas and yorubas have been ruling the country since independence. they control the military and the resources etc. the rotational presidency will give each zone a feel of belonging because they know that one day their own man will rule the land. today, in the east, there is a feeling that igbos will never be allowed to rule the country, and this makes a lot of igbos feel that they are still being punished for biafra. and this has been used by MASSOB to recruit members and this can span evil if unchecked.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 5:50pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Lol
I am loving the way u dialogue, at least we are not insultive . .  . . Great
Now here are my question.
When it is turn of NW to lead, would the NE, SS, SW and SE have to vote as well?

This is how it works. Assuming it is the turn of NW to lead, let us say there are five political parties, each of them will present a candidate from that zone and all Nigerians will vote for the one they consider the best. Simple. I think the term limit should be five years though.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by preselect(m): 5:53pm On Mar 04, 2010
when it's their turn, each ethnic group will present candidates but the whole nation will decide. that it is yorubas turn to produce president doesnt mean that only yorubas will decide who will rule our land. no. we still decide which yoruba man will rule us. etc.

it is the best in this our ''democracy'' as it will also mean that ''minorities'' like ijaw can produce a president at some point. it is good for us now. and dont forget that we are yet to have real elections in nigeria. the only election we ever had in this country's history(june I2) was cancelled grin . . . . to show you that the evil forces holding this country are holding it too tightly unto suffocation. and will not let go without a fight. . . and some blood shed. i'm not sure we want that, so let's take it easy and go small small begining with rotational presidency.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:54pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

This is how it works. Assuming it is the turn of NW to lead, let us say there are five political parties, each of them will present a candidate from that zone and all Nigerians will vote for the one they consider the best. Simple.

What is the point of every Nigeria voting for them.
Mind you out of the 5, 3 might not be nationally known, and 2 are cabals, so how fair would such vote be?
What will be the basis of the voting?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:55pm On Mar 04, 2010
pres-elect:

when it's their turn, each ethnic group will present candidates but the whole nation will decide. that it is yorubas turn to produce president doesnt mean that only yorubas will decide who will rule our land. no. we still decide which yoruba man will rule us. etc.

it is the best in this our ''democracy'' as it will also mean that ''minorities'' like ijaw can produce a president at some point. it is good for us now. and dont forget that we are yet to have real elections in nigeria. the only election we ever had in this country's history(june I2) was cancelled grin . . . . to show you that the evil forces holding this country are holding it too tightly unto suffocation. and will not let go without a fight. . . and some blood shed. i'm not sure we want that, so let's take it easy and go small small begining with rotational presidency.

How many able ones will fall thru the crack?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

What is the point of every Nigeria voting for them.
Mind you out of the 5, 3 might not be nationally known, and 2 are cabals, so how fair would such vote be?
What will be the basis of the voting?

If elections were free and fair, Nigerians will vote for the best candidates.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:59pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

If elections were free and fair, Nigerians will vote for the best candidates.

How would u know the best candiate?
You can only know someone that you know . . . .so how do u know the best candidate, when he is only known to his people?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by preselect(m): 6:02pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

You can only know someone that you know . . . .so how do u know the best candidate, when he is only known to his people?
e.g if it is the yorubas turn, are there not more than 20 yorubas who are able to lead this country? i strongly believe that each state can produce 5 people who can rule nigeria. all they need is wisdom and good followership
Fhemmmy:

How many able ones will fall thru the crack?

many able ones will always crack thru. never underestimate the power of campaigns
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 6:02pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

That will be for Nigerians to decide and that is part of democracy, but the fear of domination of one ethnic group over the other would have been eliminated.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:05pm On Mar 04, 2010
pres-elect:

e.g if it is the yorubas turn, are there not more than 20 yorubas who are able to lead this country? i strongly believe that each state can produce 5 people who can rule nigeria. all they need is wisdom and good followership
many able ones will always crack thru. never underestimate the power of campaigns

So
Mr. A from Ogun state
Mr. B from Oshun
Chief C from Ondo
Mrs. D from Kwara
Dr. E from Oyo
Papa F from Lagos
it is Yoruba's turn
However, A and B are popular and others are only known within their states, how fair would that election B?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

That will be for Nigerians to decide and that is part of democracy, but the fear of domination of one ethnic group over the other would have been eliminated.
So now when zones are rotating, what would happen if tribes within the zones feels they are being dominated?
Would we have to start rotating tribes too?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

This is one of the things the National Assembly should be working on. The Zoning arrangement is a good way to stabilize the polity and give the ethnic groups a sense of belonging.
I believe it can be perfected and included in the constitution.
In the spirit of fairness, I don't see anything wrong in the presidency going to the North in 2011 as long as the president can provide a purposeful leadership for all Nigerians.
in as i much as i would agree with you on the inclusion of the zoning stuff in the constitution,let me remind you that the pdp started it and since other opposition parties are not strong enough to challenge the idea by winning a presidential election.so automatically pdp has held us hostage.the rotation is not a bad idea if well sustained considering the ethno-diversity of nigeria.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:12pm On Mar 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

in as i much as i would agree with you on the inclusion of the zoning stuff in the constitution,let me remind you that the pdp started it and since other opposition parties are not strong enough to challenge the idea by winning a presidential election.so automatically pdp has held us hostage.the rotation is not a bad idea if well sustained considering the ethno-diversity of nigeria.

I just dont see it work
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by preselect(m): 6:12pm On Mar 04, 2010
@ fehmmy

how many people knew alhaji tofa before june I2 I993? how many americans knew Obama b4 the 2008 campaign?
how many nigerians knew shagari before I979? there are many senators and governors who will launch their campaign if it is their ethnic groups turn. and when they launch their campaign, the press and the electorate will now look into their records and examine them and then know these people in the process.

you underestimate the power of campaigning

also note that everyone can never be satisfied in a democracy or in any arrangement at all. but if the itsekiri can't have a presidency when it goes south bc an ijaw man took it, perhaps the south people may want to give itsekiri ma who is good enough the gov of delta state etc or some compensation of some sort. that is democracy. compromise here and there.
the alternative . . . . civil war. choose
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 6:19pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

So now when zones are rotating, what would happen if tribes within the zones feels they are being dominated?
Would we have to start rotating tribes too?

It's a democracy, they can start their own local rotational arrangement. The beauty of this is that, power struggle will be localized and between parties and individuals. It will no longer be ethnic based which is the cause of political instability in Nigeria.

In any free and fair election, any party, be it PDP or not, that presents a scrappy candidate will lose. It is as simple as that.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:23pm On Mar 04, 2010
pres-elect:

@ fehmmy

how many people knew alhaji tofa before june I2 I993? how many americans knew Obama b4 the 2008 campaign?
how many nigerians knew shagari before I979? there are many senators and governors who will launch their campaign if it is their ethnic groups turn. and when they launch their campaign, the press and the electorate will now look into their records and examine them and then know these people in the process.

you underestimate the power of campaigning

also note that everyone can never be satisfied in a democracy or in any arrangement at all. but if the itsekiri can't have a presidency when it goes south bc an ijaw man took it, perhaps the south people may want to give itsekiri ma who is good enough the gov of delta state etc or some compensation of some sort. that is democracy. compromise here and there.
the alternative . . . . civil war. choose

Obama was shot into limelight during his speeches in his bid to run for Senator  . . . . .
Cos of Tofa not been known was one of the biggest reason why Abiola got an easy ride.
All these timing bomb, just hope wont be a path to war
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

It's a democracy, they can start their own local rotational arrangement. The beauty of this is that, power struggle between will be localized and between parties and individuals. It will no longer be ethnic based which is the cause of political instability in Nigeria.

I still blv that we have grass root democracy and that is all that we need to elect a leader and not to be installed.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by preselect(m): 6:32pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Obama was shot into limelight during his speeches in his bid to run for Senator . . . . .
Cos of Tofa not been known was one of the biggest reason why Abiola got an easy ride.

now you are agreeing with me. howabout these potential campaigners getting similar speeches in prior elections? there will always be a way of getting one'self known to nigerians. that one no be wahala. the issue is how to arrange free and fair elections . . and even more importantly, educating nigerians on what democracy means. it's not just elections
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by blueflame1: 6:32pm On Mar 04, 2010
Guess our politicians lack the ability to think ahead. So what would happen in 2015?  If Yaradua is unable to complete his tenure and a new President from the North rules from 2011 to 2015, I am sure it would be difficult to stop a sitting president from going for a second term, especially as he would readily tell you he is not Yaradua who spent the first term.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 6:32pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I still blv that we have grass root democracy and that is all that we need to elect a leader and not to be installed.

Nobody will be installed. Even at Zonal level the parties will still conduct primary elections.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 6:35pm On Mar 04, 2010
blueflame1:

Guess our politicians lack the ability to think ahead. So what would happen in 2015?  If Yaradua is unable to complete his tenure and a new President from the North rules from 2011 to 2015, I am sure it would be difficult to stop a sitting president from going for a second term, especially as he would readily tell you he is not Yaradua who spent the first term.

A rotational arrangement should have a one term limit in order to prevent the same problem it was meant to solve.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On Mar 04, 2010
pres-elect:

now you are agreeing with me. howabout these potential campaigners getting similar speeches in prior elections? there will always be a way of getting one'self known to nigerians. that one no be wahala. the issue is how to arrange free and fair elections . . and even more importantly, educating nigerians on what democracy means. it's not just elections

i am not agreeing with you that no one knows Obama till 2008, anyone that is into politics already know the dude.
he was the talk of politics some years before that with his speech.

So what is wrong with the pictures that:
We conduct primaries and them produce a leader based on who people wants and not based on what zone they are from.

I asked a question earlier and no one has answered that

Mr A is from the North and marry a woman from the South and they have a Son and the son leaves in the East, now, what level or zone can that boy run for?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by blueflame1: 6:41pm On Mar 04, 2010
[A rotational arrangement should have a term limit in order to prevent the same problem it was meant to solve.]

Tuyis: Since in this case the rotational arrangement is not written in contract or constitution, how do you propose to limit the next president to one ter,? considering he would be in power?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:41pm On Mar 04, 2010
Tuyis:

A rotational arrangement should have a one term limit in order to prevent the same problem it was meant to solve.

According to OBJ some years back, he said, a president cant get anything done in 4 years, so if we have one term presidency under rotational presidency, would you agree that, we are just doing nonsense then?

Note, i am never in support of what OBJ said oh
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 6:42pm On Mar 04, 2010
blueflame1:

[A rotational arrangement should have a term limit in order to prevent the same problem it was meant to solve.]

Tuyis: Since in this case the rotational arrangement is not written in contract or constitution, how do you propose to limit the next president to one ter,? considering he would be in power?

Yes oh, what a stupid idea by some power hungry people

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonathan Hires Each Helicopter At $10,000 Per Hour / Was Nelson Mandela The Only Man That Fought And Was Jailed Because Of Apartheid? / Enugu Airport Passengers Complain That Enugu Environment is "Too Dirty"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.