Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,819 members, 7,872,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:06 PM

Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu (26428 Views)

Speaker Gbajabiamila Bowed To Bola Tinubu, Reno Omokri Reacts / Bola Tinubu Lands In Osogbo Ahead Of Saturday's Governorship Election(photos) / "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Wallade(m): 9:00am On Sep 24, 2017
I will not be fooled by anyone's agitation for restructuring without a proper understanding of the restructuring that they advocate.

Bola Tinubu should explain in detail the kind of restructuring that he is advocating. We are wiser politically than we used to be.

By restructuring:
I expect the sharing formula of federal allocation to change; local government should earn most share, state government should earn more and federal government should earn the least.

I expect each state to be empowered to manage, administer, legislate, explore, utilize and derive business gains and income from its resources. The states can just pay a percentage of income and gains derived as royalty to the federal government and local government where the resources are sourced.

I expect an improved Tax, duty and levy drive from Federal, State and Local governments which will remain consolidated in federation accounts and form part of federal allocation shared by the various governments and federal reserves.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Reference(m): 9:04am On Sep 24, 2017
Dreadful:
Quote me anywhere Nigeria will never be restructured, the North will never allow that!! The call for restructuring will fail right in our own very eyes then we will now begin to understand Nnamdi Kanu better.

That is why the easterners raised the ante and asked for broke, complete dissolution. They know that certain sections will play a zero sum game, and they feel their objectives may not be attainable internally. Just like in surgery, there are operations so delicate you virtually have to induce coma to prevent the body from fighting the procedure.

There are many scenarios a lot of people have postulated privately how this will all end and most are too graphic to share here but the choice(s) remain stark. The owners of Nigeria will not let go without a fight.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by joechuks22: 9:07am On Sep 24, 2017
By restructuring:
I expect the sharing formula of federal allocation to change; local government should earn most share, state government should earn more and federal government should earn the least.

I expect each state to be empowered to manage, administer, legislate, explore, utilize and derive business gains and income from its resources. The states can just pay a percentage of income and gains derived as royalty to the federal government and local government where the resources are sourced.

I expect an improved Tax, duty and levy drive from Federal, State and Local governments which will remain consolidated in federation accounts and form part of federal allocation shared by the various governments and federal reserves.

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Paperwhite(m): 9:08am On Sep 24, 2017
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 24, 2017
Alcatraz005:

Changing your views so soon because jagaban has spoken? Thanks be to Almighty Allah. angry
Baba, I been dey think say na only me see am oo..Those people and their two faced stand. They're not here or there.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by AkupeMBANO(f): 9:10am On Sep 24, 2017
aolawale025:
Tinubu always finds his voice when Buhari travels
I thought i was the only person noticing that.

Lmao!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by remigiusizunna(m): 9:10am On Sep 24, 2017
singing Dey don de go, one by one
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by mank1234(m): 9:11am On Sep 24, 2017
Any restructuring that doesn't address the issue of "I contribute less but I want more" would be an effort in futility. Lagos should be able to retain a chunk of its contribution in VAT. The current system doesn't encourage states to develop its tax system, tap its resources etc

seunmsg:

I have never spoken against restructuring, my major concern is for it to be properly defined. Restructuring means different things to different people hence, the need for all well meaning agitators to harmonise their positions.

In addition, restructuring won't give us a different result if the same people with the same mindset who are operating the current structure will operate the new structure. We have a societal and value problem that cannot be changed by mere restructuring. We need more than structural changes to make this country work for everybody.

Cc: Reptile1

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by freshdude99(m): 9:15am On Sep 24, 2017
sotall:
I have been a die-hard critic of Tinubu over the years but this statement just got me liking him
Give us another story afonja
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Daplux4: 9:15am On Sep 24, 2017
A voice like yours is very loud and should not be used to decieve others.
2019 is around the corner again I hope u have not come to decieve us with Restructuring,
knowing very well we will fall to it but let me warm u don't try
because if u do
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by CEOYOMZZYBLOG: 9:17am On Sep 24, 2017
Ok
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by janey1984: 9:20am On Sep 24, 2017
dabeto:
•Says governance failure cause of secession agitations

National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Tinubu, has linked the secession agitations agitations in the country to the “chronic failure of government to meet basic aspirations” of the citizens.

Tinubu has consequently advised the Federal Government to dialogue with the agitators rather than embrace confrontational approach, warning that the “cry of separation has gained traction among the average people.”

He posited that if successive governments had delivered on their promises of abundant life and justice for the citizenry, those rooting for secession would not have been taken seriously.

Tinubu spoke in Lagos in a keynote addressed entitled “A New Nigeria or a Better One: The Fitting Tools of a Great Repair,” at the 2017 annual dinner of the King’s College Old Boys Association.

“Thus, we have people clamouring for secession in one part of the country and the murmur of such a course grows stronger in other sections. These other areas resent that some have advocated secession. Blame and recrimination become the political currency. Statesmanship falls in short supply. The dominant urge is to confront instead of reconcile.

“It would be wrong to mistake this for a tempest in a teapot. If not careful, we may be tossed about like a teapot in a tempest. We must listen to what is being said so that we can determine what is really meant.

“Let us be frank. Many who cry separation do so because their personal ambitions will be better served by such a thing. They believe they will have greater chance at political power under a different arrangement.

“Yet the cry for separation has gained traction among average people; this is due to the chronic failure of government to meet basic aspirations.

“If over the years, government had delivered on the promise of growth, prosperity, and justice, those calling for such extreme remedies would be but a small fringe of little consequence.

“Our task is not to condemn but to listen and understand. I care not at all for this proposed solution. But I dare not discount the concerns and problems that have led many people into advocating such a thing,” he said.

Tinubu opposed the dismemberment of the country as canvassed by the secessionists, and in its stead suggested a roundtable discussion of the problems militating against the growth and development of the country.

“Being more pragmatic, separating the nation into small pieces resolves nothing and creates additional problems…Such a thing would make us more vulnerable to outside influences. We would forfeit our rightful place on the world stage and as a leader of this continent.

“Moreover, not every split solves a problem. The political mentality, either good or bad, that defined a group before the split will remain after the divide. If one is imbued with factionalism, that perspective will remain even when the immediate problem is surmounted. Division will manifest differently, but manifest it will,” he said.

He suggested a rethinking of the national economic model, which he described as not only old but crumbling and presented the greatest challenge, suggesting a national industrial policy that would foster the development of strategic industries, create jobs and ginger economic growth.

http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/nigeria-must-restructure-tinubu-%E2%80%A2says-governance-failure-cause-secession-agitations/
2019 is fast approaching and the truth is coming up again.. Ndi ara. Ndi ara...
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:20am On Sep 24, 2017
7lives:

Tinubu NEVER announce himself as a Yoruba leader, but our people look up to him for Direction.
If you have issue with Tinubu leading the Yorubas, STEP FORWARD and see if EVEN YOUR FAMILY will follow you.

Forget about that guy. He is late for Sunday school.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 24, 2017
Fallout between a godfather and a godson.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 24, 2017
Cc
Oladeebo
Omenka
Omenkalives

Tinubu has woken up from zombie sleep
dabeto:
•Says governance failure cause of secession agitations

National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Tinubu, has linked the secession agitations agitations in the country to the “chronic failure of government to meet basic aspirations” of the citizens.

Tinubu has consequently advised the Federal Government to dialogue with the agitators rather than embrace confrontational approach, warning that the “cry of separation has gained traction among the average people.”

He posited that if successive governments had delivered on their promises of abundant life and justice for the citizenry, those rooting for secession would not have been taken seriously.

Tinubu spoke in Lagos in a keynote addressed entitled “A New Nigeria or a Better One: The Fitting Tools of a Great Repair,” at the 2017 annual dinner of the King’s College Old Boys Association.

“Thus, we have people clamouring for secession in one part of the country and the murmur of such a course grows stronger in other sections. These other areas resent that some have advocated secession. Blame and recrimination become the political currency. Statesmanship falls in short supply. The dominant urge is to confront instead of reconcile.

“It would be wrong to mistake this for a tempest in a teapot. If not careful, we may be tossed about like a teapot in a tempest. We must listen to what is being said so that we can determine what is really meant.

“Let us be frank. Many who cry separation do so because their personal ambitions will be better served by such a thing. They believe they will have greater chance at political power under a different arrangement.

“Yet the cry for separation has gained traction among average people; this is due to the chronic failure of government to meet basic aspirations.

“If over the years, government had delivered on the promise of growth, prosperity, and justice, those calling for such extreme remedies would be but a small fringe of little consequence.

“Our task is not to condemn but to listen and understand. I care not at all for this proposed solution. But I dare not discount the concerns and problems that have led many people into advocating such a thing,” he said.

Tinubu opposed the dismemberment of the country as canvassed by the secessionists, and in its stead suggested a roundtable discussion of the problems militating against the growth and development of the country.

“Being more pragmatic, separating the nation into small pieces resolves nothing and creates additional problems…Such a thing would make us more vulnerable to outside influences. We would forfeit our rightful place on the world stage and as a leader of this continent.

“Moreover, not every split solves a problem. The political mentality, either good or bad, that defined a group before the split will remain after the divide. If one is imbued with factionalism, that perspective will remain even when the immediate problem is surmounted. Division will manifest differently, but manifest it will,” he said.

He suggested a rethinking of the national economic model, which he described as not only old but crumbling and presented the greatest challenge, suggesting a national industrial policy that would foster the development of strategic industries, create jobs and ginger economic growth.

http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/nigeria-must-restructure-tinubu-%E2%80%A2says-governance-failure-cause-secession-agitations/
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by mank1234(m): 9:30am On Sep 24, 2017
Name calling will give you nothing but hate or war.
What the north is doing is not different from what an average black race would do given its power and simple majority. In the eastern region of old, Ijaw felt oppressed but the Igbo majority then refused to listen. That's what led to the declaration of Niger Delta republic then. It's same situation now.

A better approach would be to diffuse the fear of the north which is mainly loss of income. Get them to feel that there's so much untapped resources there which can make them prosperous. For example, if a South Eastern state applies for land in the north, uses it for extensive commercial farming, declare stupendous profits, I'm sure their eye will open.

There are some countries which thrive only on tourism, agriculture and agro-allied-industries alone.

Amberon11:
Say no to parasitism.

I think the best is secession tho because this country can never move forward with the north.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 24, 2017
Opposition to restructuring is always from the northern fulanis.They hate to hear that word.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Youngzedd(m): 9:32am On Sep 24, 2017
Alcatraz005:

I disagree with the second leg of your post. Post restructuring, any graft carried out by the elected representatives would be sternly/forcefully rejected by the people of the new regions. Let us all face our respective leaders since there won't be any tribal differences.

One bottle of Moet for ya.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by zingobaby: 9:37am On Sep 24, 2017
Restructuring is the answer to all this problem.No Restructuring no one Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Rapmoney(m): 9:44am On Sep 24, 2017
haryorbarmie83:
Restructuring all the way.. jagaban don talk grin
Your jagaban has always been a scam right from the onset! Tinubu is a scam!
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by kense88: 9:51am On Sep 24, 2017
Really surprised bola tinubu spoke the truth. Am impressed
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by poseidon12: 9:53am On Sep 24, 2017
Well said. More statesmen should speak up and let the tribalist Buhari and his narrow-minded goons to understand that Nigeria is not their private property.
Nigeria must be restructured or else we will all go our separate ways. Nigeria's unity is very much negotiable.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by able20(m): 9:54am On Sep 24, 2017
aolawale025:
Tinubu always finds his voice when Buhari travels
But Tinubu is 100% better than Mr Obasanjo the wayo man.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by teemy(m): 9:55am On Sep 24, 2017
I guess there would be no more need for the PIB once restructuring is enshrined since the resources of oil would be under the control of the states.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by malton: 9:55am On Sep 24, 2017
omenka:
Anyway this thing goes, I am game.

Break up, no wahala.

Restructure, no wahala.

What exactly is this restructuring by the way? Seems to me like the latest political fancy word.

It is the latest political fancy word, for sure.

Even individuals who barely understand what the term means naively suggest that we go with it, just because they believe it is anti-government of the day.

What they may not understand, however, is that they are pushing to have 36 more power-hungry individuals as presidents. More troubles for themselves!

Dare to speak against it, and people take it to mean that you're scared of losing out.

Makes me laugh.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by CaptPlanet(m): 9:59am On Sep 24, 2017

Being more pragmatic, separating the nation into small pieces resolves nothing and creates additional problems…Such a thing would make us more vulnerable to outside influences. We would forfeit our rightful place on the world stage and as a leader of this continent.

“Moreover, not every split solves a problem. The political mentality, either good or bad, that defined a group before the split will remain after the divide. If one is imbued with factionalism, that perspective will remain even when the immediate problem is surmounted. Division will manifest differently, but manifest it will,” he said

Sense
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by islandmoon: 10:23am On Sep 24, 2017
I'm sorry to say but Tinubu have no idea of what his northern allies are cooking! he doesnt know nada! the only person he know is sherif who tried to slap him years back before buhari the ground patron intervened at that meeting, I know the northerners more than Tinubu knows them, they will gradually accomplished their mission using the army and the fulanis , the biggest mistake southerners will make is to grant them grazing reserve, A.K.A Fulani Gunsmen Barrack, who is fooling who? the only way out of this is RESTRUCTURING

come and arrest me, I'm in my house, not in church .

to those saying Fulani herdmen are not instrument of the north, let me ask a simple question!

how come Fulani herdmen has never attacked farmers in KANO or SOKOTO or any major hausa state or LGA even in Northern Kaduna or there are no farmers there?
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by UfuomaUN(m): 10:24am On Sep 24, 2017
seunmsg:
In as much as i see nothing wrong with the current military approach, i am not against federal government negotiating with Kanu and IPOB if they are open to negotiation.

Tinubu and his party also need to do more. Restructuring was a dominant part of APC manifesto and by now, the APC government should have taken concrete steps towards restructuring the country.
Everything is wrong with the current military approach.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by zanga420: 10:31am On Sep 24, 2017
sotall:
I have been a die-hard critic of Tinubu over the years but this statement just got me liking him
see, restructuring and it's likes are the new political slogans. Don't be deceived, 2019 is around the corner and these scammers have started doing deceitful things to endear themselves to the masses to get what they want. Once election is over, nothing will be implemented and the cycle continues.
You believe them at your own dissapointment.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by solomonsly11(m): 10:34am On Sep 24, 2017
Thank you Sir, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu for supporting restructuring. Please you as an elder and other leaders and Elders should fight for restructuring of this country called Nigeria while you are still ALIVE.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by iswallker(m): 10:41am On Sep 24, 2017
seunmsg:

I have never spoken against restructuring, my major concern is for it to be properly defined. Restructuring means different things to different people hence, the need for all well meaning agitators to harmonise their positions.

In addition, restructuring won't give us a different result if the same people with the same mindset who are operating the current structure will operate the new structure. We have a societal and value problem that cannot be changed by mere restructuring. We need more than structural changes to make this country work for everybody.

Cc: Reptile1

It will give us a different result sire, because regions that want to make progress will not be held down be ones that refuse to embrace peace and new ways of doing things. Moreover there will be trade bw the regions, which will make them focus on their areas of comparative advantage. They will develop at their pace; the center will focus on foreign affairs and military. Areas that have natural resources across the country will be handled as joint ventures by the oil coy, the state and federal govt.
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 24, 2017
iswallker:

It will give us a different result sire, because regions that want to make progress will not be held down be ones that refuse to embrace peace and new ways of doing things. Moreover there will be trade bw the regions, which will make them focus on their areas of comparative advantage. They will develop at their pace; the center will focus on foreign affairs and military. Areas that have natural resources across the country will be handled as joint ventures by the oil coy, the state and federal govt.
please educate them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Ordered DSS To Investigate Magu Since 2018 / Gunmen Kill 8 People At Abia Cattle Market / Cyril Dum-Wite Arrested During Rerun Election (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.