Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,611 members, 7,888,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:10 PM

‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To (3690 Views)

Restructuring Cannot Save Nigeria — Chief Tola Adeniyi / We Cannot Help Biafra, But We Can Support Development Commission For Se / How A Youth Corper 'Spelt Nigeria'. See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by oladeebo: 11:06pm On Sep 30, 2017
Iamzik:

Bros if you think that US is not better than Nigeria then you need to travel and see for yourself..... You leave me speechless...

God did not create Nigerian. The colonial masters did without seeking my opinion or yours and made sure that there is sufficient inequality that will break the country eventually.

Self determination is not madness. Staying in one Nigeria with a bunch of non progressives stuck in 19th century is the real madness!

first understand this phrase right; "were they not better off than us?"
2nd people were been living together before colonial era, they will still live together even if you built trump wall to separate the people, the people of those days live together and enjoy little they have in common.
human being is a social Animal, what a stupid to separated them because of the non-sense world materials and wealth!
value money than human!
foolish civilization!
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by 10mobile: 1:05am On Oct 01, 2017
EzzyIzzy:
@10mobile, I asked you, what is the guarantee that the outcome of the referendum will be respected?? Since we already have a history of disrespect for earlier agreements. I'm sure you are following the developing story on the Kurdish referendum, the US just now asked the Kurds to void the outcome of the exercise, despite the fact that they are strong allies with the Kurds due to the ISIS situation. So also have the US asked Catalonians to step back. It's all about interests and the people's interests hardly matter in these affairs. Like I said earlier, going separate ways through a referendum will hardly work, too many interests in this Union will make sure the woman stays put. I will rather suggest a well thought out restructuring,to at least reduce the cost of government and strengthen our institutions of governance at the same time reduce the power at the centre. Thanks

The guarantee that people will respect the outcome of a referendum is that they must have freely chosen it for themselves. That is the great power of democracy when it is genuinely practiced. They will be following suit from their heart because it is what they want. Even those who voted against will even have reasons to follow suit because they will realize "if most people chose this path, then its likely they are right and I was wrong" as long as it was free and fair. For instance, assuming there is a free and fair referendum in South East on whether people want to remain in Nigeria or not and those who say "remain" won, do you think Nnamdi Kanu will be able to still ask for Biafra? I tell you he wouldn't because then, the international community, the spirits, even the very ground will deny him.

Why is democracy considered the best system of human government so far? it is because it upholds the simple truth that 'no one knows it all and no one has it all'. One outcome of this truth is that every adult should have the right to choose for himself rather than have someone else choose for him. That's why we vote in a democracy ie. to enable every adult to choose those to make decisions on his/her behalf. The only right way to take major decisions in a democracy is therefore to vote. It is either you vote directly or through your genuine representative.

The very existence of Nigeria itself is undemocratic. Why? We neither chose to belong to a country called Nigeria either directly or indirectly through our ancestors or genuine representatives. Instead a single British named Lord Lugard chose for all of us as you will choose for ordinary dogs. Even the name we answer was chosen for us. Then, for almost a century now, we have seen that the choice does not augur well. And until now, none of us chose to be a Nigerian.

Now, instead of people talking of giving room for people to choose to be Nigerians or otherwise through voting, they continue to talk of discussing how to remain Nigerians which we have been doing unsuccessfully and daily for over a century now. They are even choosing for us what they want the outcome of the discussion to be ie. true federalism. That means the discussion is already concluded before it started. Fraud! Why can't we engage in free discussion if indeed we are objective and not wanting it our individual ways? Why should some people choose what the discussion will result to even before it has started if they are not deceiving you and me? Note that the fact that they called it TRUE federalism does not mean they are truthful.

In my response to Tinubu, I referred him to Brexit which he already referred to himself. Do you know that large portions of the British people voted both in favor and against Brexit? That means Brexit had its merits and demerits and so its supporters and opponents among the British people. But since you can't have it both ways at once, the majority carried the day. Do you know in the absence of voting, an intelligent anti-Brexiteer could have gone on air and given all 'good' reasons why Britain should remain in the EU? But would that be the will of the majority? Of course no.

You asked me what we are to do. And I insist, let us insist on referendum as a means of choosing for ourselves as the British people did for themselves only recently. Otherwise, we are perpetual kids. If you do not allow me the right to choose for myself, it can only be because you think I am not mature enough to choose rightly. Isn't it? And until you say "I am", no one will say "you are". So, let us continue to ask for a referendum until we have it. Unless we are very serious in asking for it, what we are telling Britain, US and others is that we are still kids, still unable to make a choice. And what do you do for a kid? You continue to take decisions for him.

We should not care about what is happening to the Kurds or the Catalonians. We should dare to be ourselves - not Kurds, Catalonians or anyone else. If America is really honest in their preaching of democracy, they should not hold back on referendum wherever a people asked for it. Otherwise, where is the democracy they are preaching when whole peoples are where they would rather not be? If as an individual I should have the right to choose (vote) in a democracy, why should whole peoples be denied that right even when it is obvious they are paying heavy prices for being where they are?

REFERENDUM especially for those who ask for it is the answer. Otherwise, let us admit that the word 'democracy' is self-deception. It is absolutely undemocratic to hold that "Nigeria's unity is non-negotiable". But if we can only have our choice by bloodletting (rather than by voting), it is a clear proof that what we have here is anarchy labelled democracy just as we have had a unitary government labelled federal for years.

I have repeated what i responded to Tinubu in summary. It is a pity that many are not even given it a consideration even when what i am saying is similar to what they would want. I urge you my brothers, please take your time to go through it below. This is our future:

https://www.nairaland.com/4081404/sir-almost-said-truth-open

CC: Viergeachar pryme moninuola yaki84 freshest4live Greylaw wickyyolo Pureme01 Emeenaka londoner Iamzik ken4Christ olaadebo FearGodinall Slnigeria OyinloyeBA Truckpusher mrvitalis BabaRamota1980 DedeTwo PatriotTemidayo SHTFguy 7Lives NigerDeltan

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by EzzyIzzy: 12:07pm On Oct 01, 2017
@10mobile, I like the fact that your points are well articulated. But me and you know we are not practising true democracy here in Nigeria. Let's face the truth. The postulations you advocate for will only work in an ideal democracy/society. I already gave you the classes of people who are in Nigeria and it's only the first two classes that dictate to a large extent what happens and what doesn't happen.

Forget the Kurds, forget the Catalonians, yes, here in Nigeria if those two classes don't have a buy-in to the referendum idea, it's DOA. The present crop of senators,governors,HOA members who and who elected them? How many people went out to vote? How many people have a voters card?

To achieve what we want, we the people need to start taking part in the process, in the system. We need to start demanding for accountability from LG chairmen,our senators, reps and also our Governors. We need to start participating in how we are governed and work towards economic viability first. Lay the groundwork with a singleness of purpose, not through intimidation or hurtful words and insults.

I remember the time when in the old Imo state, the people were begging for FG to build an airport there. When it became apparent it wasn't going to happen, the people mobilised funds and built an airport for themselves. Why can't we use that same spirit to get the rest of the east industrialised. Get the eastern governors to attract the required investments. Mobilise people to take part in the electoral process and vote in individuals at all levels who can make things happen.

Nobody among the two ruling classes will allow a referendum due to the fact that the outcome might be unfavourable to the unity of the nation. That is the hard truth. Because a referendum is a precursor to the balkanisation of the country. Or you think after having the ibo referendum, the middle belt and the Niger delta will not like to have their own? Or the yorubas will not also want to have theirs? We didn't choose to be together in Nigeria but as it it, it will be a very very difficult task choosing to go our separate ways.

I have had the opportunity to live in all parts of this country and I can authoritatively tell you, the same hunger and lack of access to basic things, no jobs, resonated everywhere. The majority of people are pauperized by a few, who get rich and control the wealth of the country for themselves only. So you can see that every part of the country feels marginalised. If only we (the people's class) can come together as one and take back this country from the visionless and corrupt leadership they(the ruling class) keep foisting on us at every electoral cycle, we will unlock the vast potentials we have in this country. Cheers
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by GreyLaw(m): 4:40pm On Oct 01, 2017
10mobile:

The guarantee that people will respect the outcome of a referendum is that they must have freely chosen it for themselves. That is the great power of democracy when it is genuinely practiced. They will be following suit from their heart because it is what they want. Even those who voted against will even have reasons to follow suit because they will realize "if most people chose this path, then its likely they are right and I was wrong" as long as it was free and fair. For instance, assuming there is a free and fair referendum in South East on whether people want to remain in Nigeria or not and those who say "remain" won, do you think Nnamdi Kanu will be able to still ask for Biafra? I tell you he wouldn't because then, the international community, the spirits, even the very ground will deny him.

Why is democracy considered the best system of human government so far? it is because it upholds the simple truth that 'no one knows it all and no one has it all'. One outcome of this truth is that every adult should have the right to choose for himself rather than have someone else choose for him. That's why we vote in a democracy ie. to enable every adult to choose those to make decisions on his/her behalf. The only right way to take major decisions in a democracy is therefore to vote. It is either you vote directly or through your genuine representative.

The very existence of Nigeria itself is undemocratic. Why? We neither chose to belong to a country called Nigeria either directly or indirectly through our ancestors or genuine representatives. Instead a single British named Lord Lugard chose for all of us as you will choose for ordinary dogs. Even the name we answer was chosen for us. Then, for almost a century now, we have seen that the choice does not augur well. And until now, none of us chose to be a Nigerian.

Now, instead of people talking of giving room for people to choose to be Nigerians or otherwise through voting, they continue to talk of discussing how to remain Nigerians which we have been doing unsuccessfully and daily for over a century now. They are even choosing for us what they want the outcome of the discussion to be ie. true federalism. That means the discussion is already concluded before it started. Fraud! Why can't we engage in free discussion if indeed we are objective and not wanting it our individual ways? Why should some people choose what the discussion will result to even before it has started if they are not deceiving you and me? Note that the fact that they called it TRUE federalism does not mean they are truthful.

In my response to Tinubu, I referred him to Brexit which he already referred to himself. Do you know that large portions of the British people voted both in favor and against Brexit? That means Brexit had its merits and demerits and so its supporters and opponents among the British people. But since you can't have it both ways at once, the majority carried the day. Do you know in the absence of voting, an intelligent anti-Brexiteer could have gone on air and given all 'good' reasons why Britain should remain in the EU? But would that be the will of the majority? Of course no.

You asked me what we are to do. And I insist, let us insist on referendum as a means of choosing for ourselves as the British people did for themselves only recently. Otherwise, we are perpetual kids. If you do not allow me the right to choose for myself, it can only be because you think I am not mature enough to choose rightly. Isn't it? And until you say "I am", no one will say "you are". So, let us continue to ask for a referendum until we have it. Unless we are very serious in asking for it, what we are telling Britain, US and others is that we are still kids, still unable to make a choice. And what do you do for a kid? You continue to take decisions for him.

We should not care about what is happening to the Kurds or the Catalonians. We should dare to be ourselves - not Kurds, Catalonians or anyone else. If America is really honest in their preaching of democracy, they should not hold back on referendum wherever a people asked for it. Otherwise, where is the democracy they are preaching when whole peoples are where they would rather not be? If as an individual I should have the right to choose (vote) in a democracy, why should whole peoples be denied that right even when it is obvious they are paying heavy prices for being where they are?

REFERENDUM especially for those who ask for it is the answer. Otherwise, let us admit that the word 'democracy' is self-deception. It is absolutely undemocratic to hold that "Nigeria's unity is non-negotiable". But if we can only have our choice by bloodletting (rather than by voting), it is a clear proof that what we have here is anarchy labelled democracy just as we have had a unitary government labelled federal for years.

I have repeated what i responded to Tinubu in summary. It is a pity that many are not even given it a consideration even when what i am saying is similar to what they would want. I urge you my brothers, please take your time to go through it below. This is our future:

Thank you all.

I read every word. Well-written piece.

We MUST be allowed to re-negotiate the corporate existence of Nigeria, as what we currently have is a fraud!

If this does't happen, then the word 'democracy' is a farce; a farcade for oppression and looting as presently practiced in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagosians Fires Back At Sanwo-olu Over Comments On Return Of Okada Riders / BUHARI: You Won't Believe What Nigerians Are Discussing Under Buhari's Tweet / Who Is The Guy Opening New Account Every Minute Just To Cancel People's Post(s)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.