Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,900 members, 7,922,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:45 PM

Obj: No Section, Group Can Appropriate Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj: No Section, Group Can Appropriate Nigeria (561 Views)

Is This Appropriate Dressing For A Governor's Wife / I Will Speak At The Appropriate Time - President Jonathan / Obj U And Your Group Can Not Stop GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obj: No Section, Group Can Appropriate Nigeria by Beaf: 3:44am On Mar 06, 2010
[size=14pt]Obasanjo: No Section, Group Can Appropriate Nigeria[/size]
From Jaiyeola Andrews in Abeokuta, 03.06.2010

In a surprising departure from the zoning arrangement of his own Peoples Democratic Party, former President Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday in Abeokuta, said no group or section of the country has the right to appropriate Nigeria.

Speaking yesterday in Abeokuta at the 2010 special annual lecture of the Centre for Human Security and book presentation to commemorate his 73rd birthday at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, the former president said all groups and sections of the country have an equal stake in running the affairs of the country.

According to him, "no group or section of the country has the right to appropriate Nigeria. Every group has a stake in the running of this country." Preempting the reaction of the public to his comment, Obasanjo acknowledged that "people will say I'm always talking. But at this age, what else will I do if I can not speak the truth. "Whatever needs to be done or said must be said and done in order to move the country forward."

To buttress his point, Obasanjo added that he cannot express a desire to contest for the Senate "because people like David Mark (the senate president) will be afraid. "Iyabo is here. So If I die now, she will call everybody to come and eat cow. That being the case, why should I be afraid to state what I have to at this time? "No group or section, be it ministers, have the right to appropriate Nigeria.

We must state what we have to say in order to move the nation forward''. Obasanjo's comment will come as surprise to observers and the PDP which operates a power sharing arrangement that determines which section of the country produces elected officials into key positions. In line with the zoning formular, the PDP?this week made it clear that the presidency will revert to the North come 2011, thus foreclosing any attempt by the acting president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, to seek the nomination of the party.

Also at the event, the senate president, Senator David Mark took into cognizance the current political impasse in the country occasioned by President Umaru Yar'Adua's ill health, admitting that Nigeria has been going through a critical era in its history as a nation. Mark said:

"The unfolding events are for our good and they provide good lessons that will make us stronger. They will provide a catalyst for us to reorganise ourselves for the challenges that will crystallize us into a virile nation." He said he was confident that the acting president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has all that it takes to move the nation forward, adding that it behooves on all Nigerians to give the acting president maximum support. Mark advised Nigerians not to dissipate their energy talking about the president's health, but focus on development, as well as making contributions for positive change.

According to Mark, if these sectors had been concentrated on, "we would have since become one of the 20 strongest economies in the world." On the Electoral Reform Bill, the senate president said it would soon be passed into law, with a view to enabling the relevant organs of government deliver credible elections to the electorate in 2011. While congratulating Obasanjo on his 73rd birthday anniversary, Mark also commended the former president for the sacrifices he has made for the nation.

In his speech, Ogun State governor, Olugbenga Daniel described Obasanjo as a rare gift providence has given to the world. The governor affirmed the contribution of the former president to the progress of Ogun State, the development of Nigeria and emancipation of Africa. "History has it that each time that our nation found itself at the cross roads, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo was there to provide stability, without expecting public appreciation," Daniel said

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=167906

(1) (Reply)

Security Forces On Red Alert After Clashes / Nationwide Demonstration Planned For Wednesday Against The Polity! / Women March For Their Rights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.